Forums » General Gaming

Choices

• 81 posts
    September 5, 2012 10:52 AM EDT

My birthday's coming up and I can't decide what game I want, so far I've narrowed it down to two options:

Dragon's Dogma

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Which one do you guys think I should pick and why?

• 952 posts
    September 5, 2012 11:01 AM EDT

I haven't played Dragon's Dogma yet, but I have played a bit on Kingdoms of Amalur, it seems like a decent game with decent graphics and mechanics. If you're looking for another series of games to get hooked up with however you should probarly choose Dragon's Dogma since the creators of Kingdoms of Amalur went bancrupt so they won't produce any sequels.

• 952 posts
    September 5, 2012 12:39 PM EDT

21 December, birthwinterday

• 952 posts
    September 5, 2012 1:21 PM EDT

Not here it isn't.

• 3 posts
    September 5, 2012 4:02 PM EDT

Hahaha, so Winter hasn't come in Belgium either? In the Netherlands it's arrived neither. Hope it's coming soon though 

• 952 posts
    September 5, 2012 4:10 PM EDT
    Winter is awesome, but hailstorms suck :( I always tend to be outside on my bike when they occur.
    • 3 posts
    September 5, 2012 4:13 PM EDT

I know the feeling, bro. It sucks.

• 140 posts
    September 5, 2012 4:21 PM EDT

I have only played one (KoA) and I really have enjoyed it.  I have been splitting time in between that and Skyrim.  It is a completely different look, but I think it is beautiful visually, more high fantasy instead of the realistic fantasy that Skyrim displays.  I have chosen a pure mage character, and really love all the perks and magical weapons...who wouldn't love summoning burning meteors from the sky to decimate their enemies?    

Quests and storylines have been very interesting and entertaining...battles usually have five or more enemies that can surround you...boss fights have been challenging....the loot is very good....lots of crafting type options.  It is not as much of a role play experience as The Elder Scrolls and I do as much as I can, but it does not bother me because that is what Bethesda does best and I go to them for that.

It has definitely been a worthwhile purchase for me, but I have not played Dragon's Dogma yet.  Here are two reviews done on those games by illustrious members of our site.  Maybe they would help, too?

Dragon's Dogma

Kingdoms of Amalur

• 952 posts
    September 5, 2012 4:29 PM EDT
    I play as a warrior, and every fight so far has been very easy (although I'm not that far in the game). It mainly hitting them a few times and rolling away so you won't get hit by another guy and keep repeating this. The fights always tend to be easy in similar games as a warrior.
    • 140 posts
    September 5, 2012 4:36 PM EDT

I do think the fights start out fairly easy, at least around the first village you journey to.  When you get a little further in the faction lines, then it gets tougher, I think.  Also, I wear no armor so I have to really be careful or I have to drink health potions like water!  

• 952 posts
    September 5, 2012 4:41 PM EDT
    Yeah, but the thing is that as long as you can abuse the roll move the game is extremely easy, especially against bosses.
    • 140 posts
    September 5, 2012 4:44 PM EDT

I admit, the roll move is very nice to have...I get to teleport, though...

• 140 posts
    September 5, 2012 6:17 PM EDT

Dokkalfar here!  You know, I have not noticed the soundtrack as I have kept the volume so low as to not wake up the family when I play.  I will have to use headphones then if you think it is really good.

• 773 posts
    September 6, 2012 5:21 AM EDT

To be honest you wouldn't go far wrong with either game. It really comes down to personal preference, as both are huge open worlds with a ton of quest, lots of different character sets and styles of play.

I really enjoyed KofA, and its one of those rare games that held my attention right the way through to the end. Dragons Dogma - well, I'm not so far into that yet, but from what I've seen I have been impressed. And one day soon I'll get back into it and finish it.

But, yeah, both great games that I'm sure you would enjoy