Forums » Elder Scrolls

Is Clairvoyance Worth It?

• August 5, 2012 11:08 PM EDT

I was watching a youtube video the other day about Illusion spells and the maker of the video said, "Clairvoyance is the most unneeded and useless spell in Skyrim". Now I think this is a little overboard but he did have some reasoning behind his words. He made some points on how it does not upgrade your Illusion level what so ever. Which is true. And he says that if you are lost, that's what they made the map for. But that's what they made Clairvoyance for too. Share your opinions to see how you compare with the video maker.

• 409 posts
    August 5, 2012 11:13 PM EDT

It has helped me mostly in ruins I have never gone to before and there are multiple ways to go.

• August 5, 2012 11:16 PM EDT

I pretty much use it just for when I have to go somewhere I cant fast travel to, and need to know if I go left or take a right when theres no signs.

• August 5, 2012 11:33 PM EDT

Host Mike Pushkin, correct? :) Yeah I do think it's pretty useless, dungeons are pretty straightforward minus Blackreach. However another youtuber( Mr. Rhexx) is doing a let's play with the compass removed, so he uses clairvoyance a lot. But for vanilla Skyrim it's pretty useless, it could help get used to Skyrim I guess.

• August 5, 2012 11:39 PM EDT

Yea thats a good point for people getting to know the areas a little better, and i love Mr. Rhexx's videos and he has already finished his first season of hardcore skyrim.

• 577 posts
    August 6, 2012 10:19 AM EDT

I maybe used it 2-3 times. But when DG came out, I did use it alot more. Illusion and alteration are pretty important for DG, imo.

• 856 posts
    August 6, 2012 10:50 AM EDT

I find the spell totally useless.  I've only used it to see the 'effect'.  I have no difficulty navigating the toughest of dungeons (they're all fairly straightforward in Skyrim - but even in 1st person 'mazes', I have little difficulty). I really don't need the compass either - I use it mainly as a convenience, never relying on it.

I also don't care for the 'detect life' spell very much (but I do like the shout 'Aura Whisper').

• August 6, 2012 11:08 AM EDT

I wish you could "like" ben c's comment.

• 856 posts
    August 6, 2012 1:15 PM EDT

Good points.  I can understand someone using it as a short-cut in a dungeon; but I explore everywhere anyways, so I'm in no hurry to find my quest goal; I'll get there in due course - so I see no need for it there.  As far as outside is concerned, I can usually find 'paths' on my own, especially if I resort to the map, so no need for me there, either.  But I can see that it may be useful for other people.

• 952 posts
    August 6, 2012 3:34 PM EDT
    Like Runered said, use the map when you can't find your way around the world of skyrim, it's a good way of navigating and it actually makes you think. Inside dungeons I don't really care for an easy way of navigating since I search every nook and cranny (don't know if that's how it's spelled) anyway. I like loot and I need to kill everything that's considered hostile to hone my skill in combat.
    • 3 posts
    August 6, 2012 3:50 PM EDT
    If you play without the hud clairvoyance is pretty much a god send. It is also great for roleplaying it's like you are being guided from some divine light to a specific goal :)
    • 8 posts
    August 6, 2012 3:57 PM EDT

i think it would be better if you didn't have to hold it, like cast it once and it lasts for 30 sec. Like what they did in fable, exept not all the time, and in fable you didn't have a map.

• 28 posts
    August 6, 2012 7:35 PM EDT

I actually find that it can be pretty helpful in Skyrim, it makes navigating up the side of a mountain so much easier. The amount of times I've approached a mountain from the wrong side and not been sure of which way to tackle it, honestly even just pointing you in the right direction is great especially since the map is, quite frankly, a load of crap.