Forums » Elder Scrolls

if you had made skyrim what would you have done diffrently to ma

• 2 posts
    July 30, 2012 8:36 PM EDT

• 8 posts
    July 31, 2012 12:40 AM EDT

Make it less Nord oriented, ie:(argonian walks into alchemy shop, shopkeeper:"I bet a strong Nord like you wouldn't need a health potion" Me:"You idiot do i look like a Nord to you!?!?!?!?" and extend the length of the main quest and faction quests. companions whelp-harbinger college apprentice- arch-mage theives guild theif- guildmaster. Dark Brotherhood new assassin- listener. All of these things took 2 hours gameplay tops, in Oblivion it took like 6 hours for each one for me, and i became so much more emersed within the storyline. I didn't see that in Skyrim, and i was disapointed. But, THE GAMEPLAY IN SKYRIM IS AMAZING!!!!

• 34 posts
    July 31, 2012 2:10 AM EDT

If you could jack yourself into the game like the matrix

• 577 posts
    July 31, 2012 2:51 AM EDT

Hmm...Different and more outcomes to your decisions. Consequences so to speak. More options when speaking to npcs (Right now, you know eventually you have to pick the last one to get what you want. Sometimes there's a little too much verbal, meaningless dancing. Smarter AI in the sense that they really know who you are from your decisions/choices and react accordingly. More so than already....

And actually there could have been cut-scenes at the completion of each faction questline. Nothing too dramatic, but a little something. Come to think of it, maybe they did, it's been awhile.

Like the "Rank" system in guilds 

• 409 posts
    July 31, 2012 8:54 AM EDT

would have added spears and would have made sure there is no giant send you flying thing

• 16 posts
    July 31, 2012 9:09 AM EDT

Would of added a name generator or something so when you pick a name the NPC's will say your name. Longer questlines. 1 more faction. bigger battles in the civil war quest. DRAGON MOUNTS!

• 856 posts
    July 31, 2012 9:28 AM EDT

My list is quite extensive (in no particular order):

1. spears/polearms
    2. questlines with more choices/options
    3. talking to people raises speech slightly (only if it is a new speech option, so you cannot spam the same thing over and over)
    4. essential NPC's can not be killed by anyone/anything except the player
    5. better recognition for your accomplishments including ranking in guilds
    6. playable musical intruments / better bard college quest (if it's included in the game, it should be done right or not at all)
    7. NPC's can pickpocket your character or break into your place along with the ability to hire guards to protect yourself from same
    8. a cheap/free early home (simple decorations - bed, desk, cookpot) - I know there are places in the game you can use, but that's not quite the same thing.
    9. ability to 'upgrade' leveled items
    10. underwater combat (argonians would have no equal) - including the ability to cast water breathing while underwater
    11. New Spells including such things as the ability to summon any weapon and non-offensive spells such as 'charm', 'unlock', 'silence' (to shut up certain NPC's)
    12. Less bigotry
    13. Improvements on both sides of the Civil War (so it's not a choice of lesser of two evils, a more charismatic Ulfric, also see 12)
    14. Some type of faction system with more joinable factions (similar to FallOut: New Vegas) - if you want to be a bandit, you can be a bandit...
    15. Better horses ( an unmounted horse would never charge a dragon or any other predator, even a war-horse; a horsemanship skill with mounted combat)
    16. Improvements in smithing - this would include a logical weight system (final item cannot weigh more than the ingredients), a degrading learning systems (yes you learned a lot from making that first dagger, your 20th dagger - not so much, your 50th dagger - way less), more options for crafting
    17. Improvements in alchemy / enchanting - similar to the improvements in smithing
    18. Tayloring!
    19. Better economy - ways to help / harm an economy
    20. Spellmaking

That's my short-list.

• 409 posts
    July 31, 2012 9:34 AM EDT

I agree on all of these

• 6 posts
    July 31, 2012 12:02 PM EDT

1. More armor

1. More armor
    2. More weapons
    3. Spears
    4. Throwing knives
    5. Being able to put armor on your horse and make it act as a companion
    6. Name your horse
    7. Be able to buy other mounts
    8. Be able to make your own house
    9. Travel across Tamriel for certain quests, then after you finished them you can go there anytime you want
    10. And finally, REALISTIC WARS, I mean go on a big battlefield and make it so you can actually kill 500 enemies and make it more challenging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 856 posts
    July 31, 2012 12:14 PM EDT

some bigotry in the game, yes, but it seems 95% of the NPC's have a problem with the other races.

• 28 posts
    July 31, 2012 1:43 PM EDT

More recognition of what race you've chosen really. A farmer in the middle of nowhere meets an Argonian probably for the first time in his life, doesn't bat an eyelid. Sure they obviously know these other races exist but still, if you'd never seen one before it could be a bit shocking. 

• 557 posts
    July 31, 2012 2:56 PM EDT
    Underwater combat is my biggest thing. I think it should be incorporated into the game somehow, which would make the game more realistic.
    • 11 posts
    July 31, 2012 9:39 PM EDT

The giant thing is a glitch based on how Skyrim calculates damage. Just as in Oblivion, any blow that kills an actor (You or an NPC or an animal) has damage that goes to waste, because it is "overkill" damage: That is, it is more damage than is required to bring the health bar down to zero. What Oblivion and Skyrim do is that for certain attacks (arrows, some melee blows, projectile spells), the left over damage is converted into momentum. That's why when you shoot someone with an arrow, one of two things happens: If they aren't killed by the arrow, they don't recoil (or, in Skyrim, they might stagger), but if the arrow kills them, they tend to go flying (This was REALLY noticable in Oblivion, where an arrow shot from sneaking would send an NPC flying across the room)! The thing with the giant club is that the smash attack does SO MUCH damage that the amount of damage converted into momentum is just absolutely MASSIVE. It only does the "Send you flying" animation because when you die, the game generally waits till your body stops moving to reload, and the momentum is directed upward, so you're flying for a while. Bethesda has actually said that the reason they left that glitch in the game after it was discovered is because it is funny.

• 11 posts
    July 31, 2012 9:54 PM EDT

I think it's a default thing that Nords say when in combat, especially with non-Nords. I agree, though, that bugs me.

• 11 posts
    July 31, 2012 9:56 PM EDT

Your list is awesome, but I have two things to point out. For 3., this could cause a problem with people who don't want to level Speech, though I agree, there definitely needs to be more opportunities to level it; as it is, you only have two options: power-level, or have saintly amounts of patience.

Regarding 4., I think that's an awesome idea, but with a caveat; maybe essential NPCs are harder to kill, so that you know that they're essential before you strike the killing blow; for example, they take a knee, get back up with full health, rather than a little, like other NPCs do, and then they take a knee a second time, and they're vulnerable to the killing blow.

Regarding 12 and 13, I'm pretty sure that those were deliberate story decisions, rather than gameplay ones, and I like them. While it does make the Civil War questline rather hard to stomach, it gives the game more flavor. Cyrodiil, we've been told, is a cosmopolitan province, and that makes sense, since it is in the center and home to the capital of the Empire. If Cyrodiil is more cosmopolitan, than the other provinces have to be less accepting of outsiders, by the same token; not necessarily bigoted, but less accepting than Cyrodiil. Don't forget, too, that the Nords have a long history of wars and betrayals with outsiders, and it is in the midst of a civil war; those two things don't breed acceptance. The bigotry is realistic. Of course Nords hate the elves: They just got done fighting a massive war with them. Their reasons for hating the Dunmer are less clear cut, but if anything, I felt that Altmer and Bosmer players should experience more racism.

13. I would have loved a more charismatic Ulfric, but most wars aren't "one side good, one side evil". If that was the case, very, very few people would join the "evil" side, and wars would be short and quick. The reason we see so many wars as "good vs. evil" is because, well, the winners tend to write the history books.

• 11 posts
    July 31, 2012 9:59 PM EDT

Hadvar is pretty much the only NPC in the game to ask why you're in Skyrim if you're not a Nord. This bugs me, too; I'm with you on this!

• 11 posts
    July 31, 2012 10:12 PM EDT

Yes, but with a heavy penalty to every race but the Argonians. Seriously, ever tried to fight underwater? Anything physical would have its effectiveness almost halved, and archery would be completely unusable, since bows do NOT work when wet (The bowstrings cease to work properly). Compound bows (Not featured in the game, but still something to note) actually fall apart!

• 285 posts
    July 31, 2012 10:14 PM EDT
    It wouldn't be to effective(have you tried an underwater fight?! You get no momentum!)
    • 557 posts
    July 31, 2012 10:16 PM EDT

Then with a sword, axe, or mace. You can still fight underwater, although it doesn't work as well as above ground.

• 285 posts
    July 31, 2012 10:22 PM EDT
    With maces/hammers you rely on hitting your enemies hard, under water it would be no power behind it, it would be like fist bunping in slow motion, but it's a game, not real life so who needs realism?