Forums » Elder Scrolls

Where do the bones go?

• November 29, 2011 3:33 PM EST

Dragon bones tend to stick around for much longer than other creature corpses, but when they finally do vanish I'm always left wondering if there's a possibility for getting a random encounter of meeting the only living dragon priest. Instead of attacking you, like his brethren would, this living relic journeys all-throughout Skyrim after hearing rumors of dragons being slain. As a Dragon Priest, maybe he feels compelled to bury the bones of these ancient beasts? The encounter would be as you revisit one the hold-cities that you killed a dragon near or on a road you frequent. Then you'd see the hunched over old man in tattered robes digging a grave near the dragon. I don't know if he'll want to talk to you, since you have been murdering the very creatures he's spent so much time burying.

However, that's only my theory. What do you think should be the reason that the dragon bones disappear?

• 26 posts
    November 29, 2011 4:04 PM EST

Interesting theory.  If you could get him to talk he could tell you the dragons side of the story. 

• 132 posts
    November 29, 2011 6:47 PM EST

Heh. Dragon Priests aren't really supposed to be nice old people. I think the dragons disappear because, I don't know, people are ripping off parts of their skeleton to make armor :P Which explains why that damn frost dragon corpse is still sitting in the entrance to the college of Winterhold, because nobody can get to it.

• 9 posts
    November 29, 2011 6:53 PM EST

I feel like giants use them to make their clubs... or alchemists take it all and use it for the bone meal.... or someone uses an elder scroll to send the bones to a future wasteland...

• December 4, 2011 4:53 AM EST

You have that problem too? I tend to visit the College alot so I get lots of random elder dragons assaulting me there. The funny bit is, the College mages usually take him out while I cower in terror behind one of the pillers. Afterwards I loot the corpse and blow it away with a fireball.

As for the priest, I haven't found any books that gives information on the Dragon Priests' mortal habits. So there's no telling how they acted before we invaded their final resting place with dreams of a diamond mask. Or perhaps he is the last member of a sect within the priesthood that left after a schism some time ago. They honor the Dragons as the elder race closest to Akatosh but don't want to help them enslave the nortals; or something like that, I'm not very good at making up reasons why people do what they do on the spot.

• 10 posts
    December 4, 2011 6:53 AM EST

Sorry if I offend anyone...

Is this an actual question? Or is it just a "hey let's have a nice little 'what if' game". The bones disappear because of the way the game is build. Ingredients reappear every 10 days (I think?) - corpses disappear after X amount of time IF the place they were slain isn't visited meanwhile. If you killed a dragon at a place you tend to visit a lot it will seem like it never disappears. Was the same with a pack of wolves I killed outside Whiterun - they stuck around for much longer than the normal period simply because I kept walking past them.

At least that is what my experiences in Skyrim tells me :P

• December 24, 2011 11:28 AM EST

Sorry for replying twenty days later, I tend to not revisit forum sites since I  have a pretty short attention span.

It certainly is a "what if" question, but I would totally love to see that be added in a patch or some mod for once I get a good pc rig, since everyone keeps telling me that you can't really experience Skyrim or Battlefield 3 if it's not pc. I guess it might actually be a "oh please please please add this in Bethesda!". Not offended in the least.

• 15 posts
    December 24, 2011 1:34 PM EST

Dragon skeletons only disappear when it's inconvenient for me. I was doing my Alteration Ritual Spell quest. I went to get K*blarg*'s Fang, and I happened to kill a Frost Dragon just outside. I went in and talked with the ghost, and I killed the resident Dragon Priest. I grabbed the Fang and ran out to where the Frost Dragon had died.

But the skeleton was gone. And, mostly because I'm my impatient self, I went to a certain tall mountain and killed a certain dragon. And mined some ebony and malachite. I took his heartscales and recruited my Orc follower into the Blades- while he was wearing my Ebony armor (including the Ebony Mail) which later disappeared.

I guess that's what happens when you sneak attack P-Bro for a Radiant Quest.

• 4 posts
    December 24, 2011 5:40 PM EST
    i observed the disposal of the dragon bones. the get sucked into the ground. when the dragon was found being sucked into the ground he wiggled out like a worm as if nothing happened. this was before the 1.2 patch.
    • 5 posts
    December 24, 2011 6:39 PM EST

Well, since there seems to be a never ending supply of dragons maybe Alduin flies around resurrecting the dragons like he does in the story. Also I have encounter Alduin in the real world a handful of times resurrecting dragons out of the blue. But after you kill him? I don't have a damn clue...

• 297 posts
    December 25, 2011 3:44 AM EST
    The dragon bones are taken to sovengarde and used as tooth-picks by the mighty norse gods lol