Forums » The Lounge

They just don't make them like they use to.

• 342 posts
    June 11, 2012 10:05 AM EDT

As the title says this is a bit of rant/nostalgia thread.

I was sick of watching the news the other day and decided to see what else was on, I came across the cartoon channel and thought awesome! but I was sadly disappointed with what passes for entertainment nowadays. so I want to know some of the cartoons/shows you watched.

The tick

Daria

The X-men (got to dig that heavy metal)

Captain "Green Mullet" Planet (and what would the 90's have been without a pro environmental cartoon :P)

• 668 posts
    June 11, 2012 10:18 AM EDT

honorable mentions would be Hong Kong Phooey, Underdog, and Adventures of Flapjack.

• 952 posts
    June 11, 2012 10:29 AM EDT

The smurfs (made in Belgium )

Tintin or in our language Kuifje, I only found the intro on youtube (made in Belgium)

And some anime they used to broadcast, a long time ago before anime got retarded.

Rurouni Kenshin:

This is one of my favourite episodes, it's so touching.

And thrusty old Gundam Wing

• 67 posts
    June 12, 2012 5:01 PM EDT

can never beat Scoobydoo...watched it for hours as a kid

• 297 posts
    June 12, 2012 5:12 PM EDT

Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles not the new one the awesome one from the 80's  ,

Mask,

Dragon ball, Dragonball Z , Dragonball GT, (im a huge dbz nut),

The original batman cartoon from the 90's led too some great feature films like , mask of the phantasm amongst others, also it was the truest representation too the "detective-side" of batman which is my favourite side of bats not everything is zipline's and bat-planes y'know...

• June 12, 2012 5:23 PM EDT

Lol, I think I remember my dad talking about a show called Mask that he used to watch as a kid.

Isn't it like these people put on masks and then they turn into vehicles or something? I forget...

• 952 posts
    June 12, 2012 5:27 PM EDT

The mask? Like in the old tv show and this movie?

• June 12, 2012 5:40 PM EDT

Lol! No, I think it's something different...

• 297 posts
    June 12, 2012 5:49 PM EDT

no dieter not "the mask" just M.A.S.K and it is really old like from early 80's but i caught replays as a kid and loved it

• 297 posts
    June 12, 2012 5:51 PM EDT

Dragon ball z suck!?

You watch your tongue fella dbz is one of the greatest ever cartoon's/manga's ever created you show me a person who didnt want to be a Super Saiyan when he was younger and i'l show you a liar.,

• 952 posts
    June 12, 2012 6:01 PM EDT

I found Dragon Ball Z cool when I was a kid, but when I watch it now it just looks silly. I like it but I've outgrown it I'm afraid.

• 342 posts
    June 12, 2012 7:09 PM EDT

see that's kinda the point i was trying to make the quality of cartoons is sliding way down, there is just no more thought put into the cartoon, they use to have morals and teach lessons (to some extent) and now its just random garbage

• 297 posts
    June 12, 2012 7:23 PM EDT

true that charlie, I caught the latest version of turtles lately and i was gob-smacked at how terribly they had done at developing decent characters,

though their are exceptions too this i do like young justice, and the new green lantern animated series (sorta like clone wars) is very good,

• 342 posts
    June 12, 2012 7:37 PM EDT

for its time this was probably one of the most violent children's shows but it never lied to the audience and that was one of the things i loved about this show

• 133 posts
    June 12, 2012 8:53 PM EDT

Seconded. I just love Dragonball and I still watch the reprises on Cartoon Network. Almost all cartoons I watch nowadays are anime. I recommend Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and, my favorite, Nausicaa of The Valley of the Wind. Sometimes I stop on some pisode of The Simpsons, Futurama or Family Guy. But really, mot animes for me.

• 140 posts
    June 12, 2012 9:14 PM EDT

These were my favorites back in the day:

And I watched way too much of these folks!

• 577 posts
    June 13, 2012 12:22 AM EDT

Phew, thank you Kyn. I was gettin a little worried and you pulled me out

I grew up on Merrie Melodies (Bugs Bunny, Yosemite Sam, Foghorn Leghorn, RoadRunner, Pepe' LePu, Tom and Jerry, Daffy the Duck, Woody Woodpecker and of course Scooby Doo) I think some of those may be Hannah Barbara toons.....these are full on late '70s early 80's watchin.

But one cartoon that really blew me away in the early 90's was AeonFlux....brilliant show

• 668 posts
    June 13, 2012 12:55 AM EDT

I forgot a few. BTW Charlie, aren't you a little young to be getting nostalgic over old cartoons.

Dragon's Lair was SO AWESOME!

Pirates of Dark Water! LOVED THAT ONE!

Johnny Quest. So GOOOOOOOD!

VOLTRON!!

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. Of course the original Thundercats as well. :)

• 342 posts
    June 13, 2012 3:20 AM EDT

not when the quality difference is such a steep decline  :P and hey i'm gen Y I can be nostalgic if i wanna be

• 144 posts
    June 13, 2012 3:51 AM EDT

well obviously Pokemon. Dragon ball Z, scooby doo (all variations, including the one when their all children.) the original Transformers was awesome. Yu-Gi-Oh was also really cool for me.

But most of all it was Pokemon. What can i say i grew up with it as my most major fascination. 

Most of these shows others have said was before my time. I am only 16 and i would be lying to say that i watched them too.

• 342 posts
    June 13, 2012 3:55 AM EDT

nice shows Junior I use to watch all of those.  don't worry you don't need to have watched any of the shows others have had, its more about reminiscing about how shows use to be so much better then the crap that come out in the last 5 years or so.