Forums » Elder Scrolls

Oblivion: To buy or Not to Buy???

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    April 17, 2015 1:39 PM EDT

I enjoyed Oblivion, even though I played it after Skyrim. But you definitely should get the DLC, I really enjoyed them and especially Shivering Isles, it adds a lot of content.

• 11 posts
    April 17, 2015 2:27 PM EDT

Yeah, it's crazy how Oblivion had some of the worst DLC of the last generation (horse armor) and some of the best (Shivering Isles).  Really a microcosm for how the video game industry had to figure out just how to handle digital distribution and paid DLC.

Knights of the Nine wasn't bad either, but it didn't give you a whole new setting to explore the way Shivering Isles did.

• 87 posts
    April 17, 2015 2:39 PM EDT

Shivering Isles was remarkable, and really helped follow up from Bloodmoon and Tribunal. Mannimarco, get Oblivion. Despite what many people claim about how it is the "worst" TES game, it really is amazing; if anything, I think Skyrim is the worst of post-Arena games.

• 23 posts
    April 17, 2015 5:53 PM EDT
    Yes definitely get a GOTY edition for all the dlcs it s definitely a good game I ve had a lot of fun with it and just replayed it still the same experience I loved it !
    • 4 posts
    April 18, 2015 2:52 AM EDT

I have Oblivion but I can't seem to get past the beginning, is there a class that suits beginners?

• 1595 posts
    April 18, 2015 3:02 AM EDT

Personally I always felt the pre-made classes are somewhat lacking, although I'm sure many will disagree. I think ignoring Baurus' suggestion:

"I'm guessing you're an experienced Bard. Amiright?"

is the way to go. Make your custom class to suit your preferred playstyle, bearing in mind whether you want to optimise in order to get the maximum + 5 to attributes each level or prefer a more organic playstyle.

• 10 posts
    April 18, 2015 10:57 AM EDT
    Oblivion is brilliant deffinetely worth the money
    • 27 posts
    April 18, 2015 11:05 AM EDT

The real question is why haven't you played it yet

• April 18, 2015 8:40 PM EDT
    I played Oblivion before I got Skyrim. As a game on its own, it is truly an awesome experience. It is a must for any fan of the Elder Scrolls series, especially if you are into the lore of the land.

My only qualm with Oblivion is the leveling system. If you enjoy playing as thieves or warrior types, than you will love this. If you play mostly mage types, then good luck. I have haf success with combo styles of mage and thief/warrior typed though.
  • April 18, 2015 8:40 PM EDT
    I played Oblivion before I got Skyrim. As a game on its own, it is truly an awesome experience. It is a must for any fan of the Elder Scrolls series, especially if you are into the lore of the land.

My only qualm with Oblivion is the leveling system. If you enjoy playing as thieves or warrior types, than you will love this. If you play mostly mage types, then good luck. I have haf success with combo styles of mage and thief/warrior typed though.
    • 365 posts
    April 18, 2015 8:42 PM EDT

If you get it on PC you can put your own face in it...

Yeah, bet you're sold now aren't ya?

• 64 posts
    April 21, 2015 9:08 PM EDT

I don't mean to be mean but I'm surprised your screen name is "Mannimarco" and yet you've never played Oblivion...

• 64 posts
    April 21, 2015 9:09 PM EDT

I don't want to sound idiotic, but what was so bad about Horse Armor?

• 40 posts
    April 21, 2015 11:00 PM EDT

Funny, I just started playing Oblivion again for nostalgic reasons. Riding around the lush green landscape to Jeremy Soule's music gets me every time.... and those Ayleid ruins! For me it holds up. Maybe the many fond memories make me too kind but I think its a wonderful world to explore.

The question I have now is if Morrowind is worth money and time.