Forums » Elder Scrolls

How did you first get into Elder Scrolls games?

• 773 posts
    October 28, 2011 3:32 AM EDT

I'm interested to hear how, where and why you first got into The Elder Scrolls...

Which game in the series did you get play first? And how did that come about? A trailer? An advertisement? A recommendation from a friend?

Tell us how you got into this amazing series of games....

• October 28, 2011 3:35 AM EDT

I picked up Morrowind when I was about 13, but never really got into it untill a couple of years later :P Then after Oblivion came I was hooked on TES 

• 2 posts
    October 28, 2011 3:40 AM EDT

I was ten years old when Morrowind came out on PC, I read an advertisement in a real retro(modern at the time) pc magazine that my brother had picked up.

• 24 posts
    October 28, 2011 3:41 AM EDT

I came into this a bit late, but it changed everything. I saw a gameplay footage on Youtube 4 years ago about Oblivion, and I simply fall in love with it. I never played on Xbox 360 before. I was so excited about that game, that 2 months later I decided to buy a console (because my PC was too old to play and seemed too much hassle to buy a new one), and I bought Oblivion. WOW! Loved it! That was one of the best gaming experiences in my life. I play console games since then... 

• 8 posts
    October 28, 2011 3:44 AM EDT

When Morrowind came out my dad got it. I remember being a young kid jumping out of my skin each time my dad was attacked by a silent cliff racer. (If you played morrowind you would know that I jumped alot ^_^)

Eventually he got distracted from the game by a new playstation game, so his computer free I finally decided to play!  I picked up his character who was near invincible (without cheating) and walked around killing things. A few weeks later I learned not to attack everyone.(Good thing I never dared save over his game) 

It was from that piddling that I eventually learned how to play the game. Then I started my own character... and quickly died. So being the teenager I was, I looked up cheats. ^_^  And the love hate relationship of me and cheating has begun!

• 7 posts
    October 28, 2011 3:52 AM EDT

Walking through CompUSA one day in college and saw the Morrowind GOTY edition and thought 'that looks interesting'

However, that was not the hook.  Morrowwind proved a bit too open for me.  I knew nothing of the setting, where I was or what the heck was going on.  Later Oblivion came out and I had neither a PC at the time or Xbox, but it intrigued me.  Once I got a new PC, the first game I purchased for it was Oblivion GOTY and instantly fell in love.  I still have not completed the main quest in the game, but I remember fondly playing through the Knights of the Nine questline and enjoying it immensely. 

I am a diifferent gamer than I was when I first bought Morrowind and I wonder if I would enjoy it more now.  My absolute favorite thing in Oblivion was wondering around to see what I could find.  It is strange that the thing that droveme away from Morrowind, appeals to me in Oblivion.  It is amazing to me the the world is so detailed.  I would love to see future content in the TES series that would allow you to link game in some fashion in order to wonder between the districts instead of hitting invisible walls.  Now that would be epic

Now my PC is decent, but I think I might buy Skyrim on Xbox just to have this huge world on a bigger screen.

• 1 posts
    October 28, 2011 3:52 AM EDT

My brother recieved a copy of Arena when he was 10. I had just turned five and he let me play it with him. He eventually got Daggerfall and I played that too. My friend and I bought Morrowind together and then Oblivion. Just waiting now for my collector's edition of Skyrim to get as much of the stuff as I can. Feeling pretty excited for it.

• 59 posts
    October 28, 2011 4:18 AM EDT

When I was about 13, my dad saw Morrowind and said it looked pretty good. I got the GotY edition on Xbox, I fell in love with it. I played it loads. The only real reason why I stopped for years until Oblivion was released was I got really stuck and I couldn't play it anymore, then Oblivion came out and I played both once again. Morrwind though I adore it, and it is my faviourte, I have never finished. I can play it for hours and never finish the main quest haha Probably why I prefer it ^.^  

• 5 posts
    October 28, 2011 4:27 AM EDT

First post on the new blog, seems like a fitting way to start...

I'm giving away my age here, but Arena came out the year before I graduated from university. At the time, my friends and I were all playing Doom as far as PC games went, thanks to the death-match capabilities. Otherwise, we played sports games on consoles like the Sega. In otherwords, we were more into multiplayer games. Arena was not even a blip on my radar, unfortunately.

I graduated from university and immediately (two weeks later) left everything and everyone I knew to move halfway around the world. That's another (and very long) story, but for the first few years in my new country of residence I did not have a computer of my own. When I finally did get my feet under me and get a computer, I started catching up on the games I had missed. Along the way I picked up Arena. I enjoyed it, but it didn't really blow me out of the water. To tell you the truth, I got far more involved in the Eye of the Beholder series. I never finished Arena, and the Elder Scrolls franchise failed to take root. As a result, I missed Daggerfall and Morrowind.

I don't remember exactly when I picked up Oblivion, but I do remember being back in the States visiting family, and I was walking around a computer/electronics shop when the Oblivion box caught my eye. I never made the connection with Arena, but the art and text on the box really pulled me in. I bought it and brought it back with me to install on my aging beast of a system. I had to use to the "Oldblivion" mod(?) just so I could run it on my old graphics card. Needless to say, graphics issues aside, I was hooked. The world was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen simply because it was all mine and I could do absolutely anything I wanted. I played through the entire game twice. Later, when I got a new system with a new graphics card, I reinstalled Oblibion and played it through again, this time the way it was meant to be seen. On that third playthrough I made it my goal to finish every quest in the game, visit every location--I succeeded.

So I guess I'm a relative newcomer to the series. Barring my brief experience with Arena, I've only been an Elder Scrolls player for the past few years. There's no going back for me now. It's onward and upward to Skyrim!

• 2 posts
    October 28, 2011 4:33 AM EDT

I was over a friends house and while my firend was busy I picked up the controller and had a wander around cyrodill - i was hooked and bought oblivion for myself the following day

• 10 posts
    October 28, 2011 4:33 AM EDT

My first game was Oblivion when I was 15 years old. I just saw it in a store and thought it looked interesting. So I brought it home and about ten minutes in I was in love. After completing the main quest the first time I started looking at some of the lore, and eventually found my way to UESP. Then I realized there was a game called Morrowind, and then I just had to try that out as well.

• 22 posts
    October 28, 2011 4:50 AM EDT

I first saw a friend of mine playing Oblivion, although he said he didn't really liked it.

A couple of years later, another friend of mine bought it online and got really enthousiastic about it and wanted to show me the game. Hang on a second? Haven't I seen this before?

Two weeks later I bought it myself and it's one of the best games I've played yet ^^

• 1 posts
    October 28, 2011 5:02 AM EDT

Had always been into RPG's but had always been a console not PC man so (initially) Arena and Daggerfall passed me by. When Morrowind came out on original Xbox I was overjoyed just to see what looked like a decent RPG come out on the system because there really hadn't been many. I must have spent more time playing Morrowind than any other game, it felt like it had been written especially for me! After that eventually ended up playing Arena and Daggerfall (although I must admit not to the point of completion, more as a curiosity) and of course picked up Oblivion (not as big a fan of that as Morrowind though).

So in summary, the major dearth of RPG's on original Xbox meant I would have picked up Morrowind come what may and I am very pleased I did so! 

• October 28, 2011 5:05 AM EDT

Dad bought Oblivion first time i was 9, i loved it. Dark Brotherhood was my favourite guild, now last Xmas dad gave me Morrowind goty

• 2 posts
    October 28, 2011 5:07 AM EDT

I picked up Oblivion on a whim, and from that moment forward, I was hooked. I have no excuse of being a young kid for jumping at everything that stumbled out at me and tried to kill me (I was in my early twenties then) but I still loved every inch of oblivion, even if it did scare me half witless sometimes!

• 1 posts
    October 28, 2011 5:21 AM EDT

id played morrowind briefly on my mates pc and also another friends xbox later on but hadnt really ever played RPG games and was amazingly impressed but completely forgot about it.... Later on i came across a limited edition box set for a game caleld Oblivion. "hmmm i wonder", had a look at the pretty pictures on the back and was like... "swords.... magic.... deamons? Yes please!" win :D

(if im really honest i dont know if the game i played even was morrowind on the xbox, it just felt alot like it.) (i played as a werewolf on the pc... tres cool)

• October 28, 2011 5:21 AM EDT

My dad bought Oblivion for himself when I was 13. I played it during the weekends only. On weekdays, the PC was off-limits.

I played one Saturday morning and did not stop till it was Sunday night. Oh how I realized how sucky Mondays can be. I keep thinking about Cyrodiil during the weekdays. Now I realized I had fallen in love with The Elder Scrolls.

So basically, I played Oblivion first just because it was there in the PC. My dad bought it because he likes games with good graphics.

• 1 posts
    October 28, 2011 5:41 AM EDT

I remember a few years after it came out, I found OBLIVION going for cheap in a bargain bin somewhere, anyway I bought it, played it for an hour and gave up, finding it too expansive. However, my undoing came after seeing the MADNESS ARMOR (<3)  when my brother started running amock within the shivering isles.

That was it, finding it the coolest attire ever in a game ever, i started playing to aquire my own set. It was then I got hooked in the whole game itself, and now ive been playing it a few years none stop. Every time i get bored, I erase my save and start again adopting a new playing style.

• 7 posts
    October 28, 2011 5:56 AM EDT

It all started when I was 14. My brothers' friend brought over a pirated copy of Morrowind for the PC. After playing it for about a day the copy I had simply stopped working. So I went and bought it.

About 2 years later, in high school, a friend and I where walking through EB and noticed the goty for Morrowind. My friend asked, "hmm, what's this?" TO which I exclaimed, "You've never played Morrowind!?!?" He got it, and the next day at school he told me he started playing at 9pm. After a few 'minutes' he looked at his clock and realized school was starting in an hour!

Literally, that same day we found out about Oblivion and were both on the edge of our seats for a year and a half.

• 8 posts
    October 28, 2011 6:00 AM EDT

A friend got me hooked to Morrowind, but it had already been released for a few years by then. But that got me started, and i remember being psyched when Oblivion was comming. I still have some digital magazine pages on my computer from Oblivion.

• 1 posts
    October 28, 2011 6:17 AM EDT

The GOTY edition of Morrowind was an impulse purchase back in 2003. Think it cost around £15. The blurb on the back of the box sold it to me with the "go where you want, do what you want" idea. Strangely enough, that's what has kept my interest in the series ever since.

I realised I was hooked when I jumped out of my seat the first time thunder struck - it was my first open world game and I totally didn't expect the weather to change...

• 1 posts
    October 28, 2011 6:22 AM EDT

The encounter was my roommate playing Oblivion and doing Dark Brotherhood quests. A half year later i saw few of my friends playing Morrowind and they did let me play too... That got me hooked :P later i bought Morrowind Goty edition. I remember playing to late night and waking in the evening :P Since it was winter then (december-january) and its a pretty nothern place,  i literaly didn't see sunlight :P

And later came Oblivion

• 6 posts
    October 28, 2011 6:31 AM EDT
    The only RPGs I played before it were Kingdom Hearts (which I did not really complete) and X-Men Legends (if you count that as an RPG). I had gotten a 360 around 2006 or 2007 and was subscribed to Gameinformer magazine. I read articles about Oblivion in it but was not really compelled to go out and buy it. Then one day my friend was telling me what awesome games there for 360 that I should buy, and he raved about how awesome it was. A couple days later, I got Oblivion and was blown away. It got me hooked to RPGs. But none of them have even come close to Oblivion. I still play it today(right now for Skyrim anticipation).
    • 2 posts
    October 28, 2011 6:40 AM EDT

I bought Oblivion this year and I'm 34.  I get it because I'm a fan of fallout (1,2, 3, BoS, etc.) and when I finished Fallout NV, I was looking for something else from Bethesda.  I completed all line quest including expension this week !  I'm so proud  With familiy and RL that was not easy to accomplish....This was a very good game. I really enjoyed the Knights of the nine and the Dark Brotherhood series.  Too bad I didn't try Morrowind

• 37 posts
    October 28, 2011 6:48 AM EDT

I played Morrowind on pc and was hooked instantly, the open world, the character creation, the endless amount of things to see and do it all just drew me in and I've been hooked ever since and will now pick up any elder scrolls game on day 1 of its release and play it for an ungodly amount of hours. There simply are no other games like them in the market.