Forums » The Lounge

Let's talk about GOTS8 Episode Two

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    April 21, 2019 10:51 PM EDT

In your reply to this thread, please paste this at the top of your comment before writing your actual reply:

SPOILER WARNING! Do not click on "more" if you don't want to be spoiled! This discussion contains spoilers for Game of Thrones Season 8, previous seasons of the show, the "A Song of Ice and Fire" book series and related works by George R. R. Martin. If you haven't watched this episode yet, leave now, for the discussion is dark, and full of spoilers...

Just posting this in case someone want to talk about this episode. I'll reply to ilani on the other thread first before focusing on this one.

What did you think of it?

Did you enjoy it?

What was the most interesting thing to you?

What are your predictions to episode 2?

Talk about anything you want. But remember, NO LEAKS.

• 197 posts
    April 22, 2019 1:29 AM EDT

SPOILER WARNING! Do not click on "more" if you don't want to be spoiled! This discussion contains spoilers for Game of Thrones Season 8, previous seasons of the show, the "A Song of Ice and Fire" book series and related works by George R. R. Martin. If you haven't watched this episode yet, leave now, for the discussion is dark, and full of spoilers...

I love the “the things we do for love” scene with Bran in the hall. Lovely. And Jaime’s expression was priceless. 

I STILL want to know what Podrick did a few seasons ago to make the working girls forego their payment. 

YOu know, I really wish people would get through the White Walkers crisis before worrying about the North being part of the Seven Kingdoms. I get Sansa though. I mean, for all the “I’m her queen” shit Daenerys throws around, why is anyone just supposed to take that? I’m her queen, she’s supposed to respect me. Why? because you said so? Ugh. no. 

I love the scene between Theon and Sansa. What they suffered together under Ramsay, damn. Very well done. On the subject of wandering plots, but detail and character development to make up for it, yeah, this is one of those Moments. 

God, I love Tormund. 

What’s going on in Dorne now? Are they just hanging out, unaware of anything that’s going on? 

Oh my god. that is not a sexy story, Tormund. Drinking an adult woman’s breast milk is not sexy. Everyone, take note. Jaime’s expression was hilarious. 

Oh, hello. Gendry’s cleaned up nice. 

I love all this preparing to die. And Tyrion says he thinks they might live, and everyone’s shocked. Fuck tradition, indeed. Now THAT was sexy, Tormund. Everyone, take note. 

Oh, wow. I suppose i shouldn’t be surprised Daenerys sees a conspiracy in Jon’s confession. But somehow I am. She’s so concerned over something he doesn’t even want, and I get why. It would threaten her claim. But she also claims to love Jon. 

Obviously this episode wasn’t as jam-packed or heavy as the first, but it was a great build-up episode. Lots of stuff going on. Relationships are being tested and built even more, and I liked it. It was still a really, really quick hour. And this is one of the best parts: I can’t really predict anything. If the show were formulaic, I could, but I can’t. And that, i think, is one of the best things about the show. It always has been. 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    April 27, 2019 2:15 PM EDT

ilanisilver said:

I love the “the things we do for love” scene with Bran in the hall. Lovely. And Jaime’s expression was priceless. 

I STILL want to know what Podrick did a few seasons ago to make the working girls forego their payment. 

YOu know, I really wish people would get through the White Walkers crisis before worrying about the North being part of the Seven Kingdoms. I get Sansa though. I mean, for all the “I’m her queen” shit Daenerys throws around, why is anyone just supposed to take that? I’m her queen, she’s supposed to respect me. Why? because you said so? Ugh. no. 

I love the scene between Theon and Sansa. What they suffered together under Ramsay, damn. Very well done. On the subject of wandering plots, but detail and character development to make up for it, yeah, this is one of those Moments. 

God, I love Tormund. 

What’s going on in Dorne now? Are they just hanging out, unaware of anything that’s going on? 

Oh my god. that is not a sexy story, Tormund. Drinking an adult woman’s breast milk is not sexy. Everyone, take note. Jaime’s expression was hilarious. 

Oh, hello. Gendry’s cleaned up nice. 

I love all this preparing to die. And Tyrion says he thinks they might live, and everyone’s shocked. Fuck tradition, indeed. Now THAT was sexy, Tormund. Everyone, take note. 

Oh, wow. I suppose i shouldn’t be surprised Daenerys sees a conspiracy in Jon’s confession. But somehow I am. She’s so concerned over something he doesn’t even want, and I get why. It would threaten her claim. But she also claims to love Jon. 

Obviously this episode wasn’t as jam-packed or heavy as the first, but it was a great build-up episode. Lots of stuff going on. Relationships are being tested and built even more, and I liked it. It was still a really, really quick hour. And this is one of the best parts: I can’t really predict anything. If the show were formulaic, I could, but I can’t. And that, i think, is one of the best things about the show. It always has been. 

I haven't written my review yet (this week, next week and the next are all devoted to doing exams. Thursday next week will be D-Day, i.e, hardest exam). So I'll comment a bit on your points.

Yeah, I feel like that brought Jaime back down to earth.

I'm... Fairly certain it had something to do with his... instrument. It was mentioned back then, I think.

Sansa's playing what she learned with Littlefinger. "Fight every battle, everywhere, in your mind..." and "everything is happening at once and everything possible will happen" or something like that, so one of those battles has to do, in the event that someone's left standing after Long Night 2.0, with Northern independence, something the Northern lords wanted and tried not once, but twice.

What I really liked about this was how the camera focused on Daenerys. It feels like it dawned on her that she is actually very, very alone in Westeros, she's a foreigner and even her Westerosi allies (not counting Tyrion, Jorah and at a certain point, Varys*) seem to "care" or "respect" her out of nothing but deference or protocol.

*Varys sees her more as a tool, though, a tool for good (for now), but a tool. It was the same with the Dornish, Yara and Olenna. Not one of them allied with her out of respect, loyalty or anything like that. They did it because they wanted something: Olenna and the Dornish wanted Cersei dead, period. They wanted revenge. Yara wanted independence for the Iron Islands.

Dorne was a complete mess in the show. I was actually rooting for Euron when he attacked Daenerys' fleet back in Season 7, and I was overjoyed when he killed those annoying, poorly written Sand Snakes. The writers wasted a perfectly good actor in Alexander Siddig, who was perfect for the role of Doran Martell, and turned him (and his gigantic bodyguard!) into an incompetent leader. In the books, Doran has been plotting since after Elia and her children were killed by the Mountain, during the end of Robert's Rebellion.

Anyway, they killed all Dornish characters, thankfully. No reason to keep them around when they got Dorne so damn wrong.

Not any woman, though. A giantess!

There are a few characters I'm worried about, and that will/would certainly crush me when or if they die, or at least would crush me more than others, be it next episode or after: Jaime Lannister, Davos Seaworth, Ghost, Dolorous Edd, Tormund and Brienne. Maybe Bran, Theon, Jon or Arya, but mostly because I don't want Sansa to suffer. I'm confident Sansa won't die, so that's why she's not there, lol.

That scene with Jaime and Brienne was beautiful.

Yeah, Dany is clearly obsessed about the Throne. I wonder how long it will take for her advisers to start seeing her for what she is (Varys and Tyrion, specifically).

I loved this episode so much. I liked it better than the first, and it's one of my favorites from the "no-more-books-to-follow-Seasons-5-to-8.

• 197 posts
    April 27, 2019 6:01 PM EDT

Ugh, the ”ordinary guy/magic penis” cliche? Ugh. Are there any women writers on this show? Women who’ve actually had sex before? Good lord. That’s disappointing, if true. Those girls are used to men with all sorts of instruments. One isn’t more special than others, and they’re used to men who do nothing but take. I was imagining Podrick was a little more concerned with them, not just taking what he could get from them. It made him seem special, and interesting. 

I’m glad you’re bringing up the more political points of the show, because it’s something i’ve Never been able to pay attention to. and it hurts my writing as well, since fantasy writers seem to concentrate on the big and epic and world changing things. I’m more interested in the day to day, small stories, and it’s what I pick up from the show as well. So it’s nice to see a different point of view here. 

More later, got to get going now. 

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR EXAMS!!!!!

• 197 posts
    April 28, 2019 1:46 AM EDT

politics aside, yes, you’re right about Daenerys being alone, and starting to realize it. I hope she does something about it that makes sense, something that pulls the North toward her instead of pushing them away. And you know, i’m Having trouble with this. I’m trying to think to myself, you know, would I feel the same way about her if she were a man behaving this way? Do I expect her to be different because she’s a woman? Would what she’s doing feel natural to me if she were a man coming to claim what he feels is his birthright? It’s incredibly difficult to imagine, and confront conventions I’m used to - i’m Used to conquerors, warriors, saviors, being men. Do I expect different behavior from them? I have no idea. And that’s difficult to admit to myself. 

YES. Alexander Siddig was PERFECTION. I couldn’t believe the job they did with the casting, only to screw them all up so horribly. I got slightly obsessed with Siddig during his stint on Peaky Blinders and had to watch everything else he’d done. And it broke my heart when Oberyn died, even though I knew it was going to happen. And I always expected MORE from Dorne, especially since the books talked about Arthur Dayne so much. A figure Of legend, of romance, you know? It just didn’t seem satisfying to have the Dornish story end with a whimper. 

I will be upset if Tyrion dies. ALTHOUGH, a friend of mine thinks he’s going to die tomorrow and be turned, and end up riding that wight dragon because of the fan rumor that he’s a Targaryen. It would be an interesting twist for him, although not the one i’d Like to see. I’ll be upset if characters whose arcs we haven’t finished yet (or would be unsatisfying if they died now) died: Gendry, the Stark women, of course, Jon Snow, Gilly, Sam. Maybe the Hound. Jorah - although his entire life seems just built up for sacrifice, so maybe that IS his character arc? although i have to admit i HATE the sacrifice trope. I’ll definitely be upset if Tormund, Jaime, or Brienne go. 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 2, 2019 5:18 PM EDT

ilanisilver said:

politics aside, yes, you’re right about Daenerys being alone, and starting to realize it. I hope she does something about it that makes sense, something that pulls the North toward her instead of pushing them away. And you know, i’m Having trouble with this. I’m trying to think to myself, you know, would I feel the same way about her if she were a man behaving this way? Do I expect her to be different because she’s a woman? Would what she’s doing feel natural to me if she were a man coming to claim what he feels is his birthright? It’s incredibly difficult to imagine, and confront conventions I’m used to - i’m Used to conquerors, warriors, saviors, being men. Do I expect different behavior from them? I have no idea. And that’s difficult to admit to myself. 

YES. Alexander Siddig was PERFECTION. I couldn’t believe the job they did with the casting, only to screw them all up so horribly. I got slightly obsessed with Siddig during his stint on Peaky Blinders and had to watch everything else he’d done. And it broke my heart when Oberyn died, even though I knew it was going to happen. And I always expected MORE from Dorne, especially since the books talked about Arthur Dayne so much. A figure Of legend, of romance, you know? It just didn’t seem satisfying to have the Dornish story end with a whimper. 

I will be upset if Tyrion dies. ALTHOUGH, a friend of mine thinks he’s going to die tomorrow and be turned, and end up riding that wight dragon because of the fan rumor that he’s a Targaryen. It would be an interesting twist for him, although not the one i’d Like to see. I’ll be upset if characters whose arcs we haven’t finished yet (or would be unsatisfying if they died now) died: Gendry, the Stark women, of course, Jon Snow, Gilly, Sam. Maybe the Hound. Jorah - although his entire life seems just built up for sacrifice, so maybe that IS his character arc? although i have to admit i HATE the sacrifice trope. I’ll definitely be upset if Tormund, Jaime, or Brienne go. 

Let's talk about the much better episode two, lol.

It's an interesting thing you bring about Dany. I certainly think her being a woman, especially such a young girl in the books (she's 14, or maybe 13 at the start of A Game of Thrones) have certainly helped, or at least made it easier for us to justify some of her actions. Especially considering she is raped and considering that up until she got to Westeros, everyone she was up against was clearly bad, almost cartoonishly so*. I think the character of Dany would have a lot less supporters if she had been, say, a middle-aged fat bald man who feels his throne was taken away from him (we do kind of get that perspective with Viserys, and yet we don't sympathize with him or his claim at all. Why do we suddenly think Dany has a better claim to the throne, when that claim is exactly the one Viserys had?)

*even then, I was personally troubled by her when she decided to crucify all those rich people in Meereen. I get it, there were slavers, but were all of them slavers? Were all of them bad persons? If they were slavers, did they all treat their slaves like shit? Did all of them agree to crucify children to send a message to Daenerys? There was no judgement, no distinction at all. And putting a group of people in a basket, declaring that this basket is bad and then punishing with death said group of people for being on that basket... I don't know, generalizations are never good, and in the real world we have seen that done all too many times as justification for atrocities.

This post was edited by Mr. at May 2, 2019 5:19 PM EDT