Forums » Elder Scrolls

TES 25th Anniversary POLL: Which ES games have you played?

• 773 posts
    April 1, 2019 4:36 AM EDT

As you will have seen, the 25th Anniversary of Elder Scrolls is happening right now! 

So I thought it would be cool for this months poll to look back over the past 25 years and ask one simple question: Which Elder Scrolls games have you played?

I've put the all the main series games into the poll so there isn't any option for 'something not mentioned in the poll' - just mark down those games you have played, as you can vote for multiple options in this poll.

It would also be cool to maybe tell us the FIRST Elder Scrolls game you played and a bit about how you got into the series in the first place.

Happy polling!

• 70 posts
    April 1, 2019 5:23 AM EDT
    I voted for Oblivion and Skyrim. My first elder scrolls game was Oblivion, i knew nothing about elder scrolls but saw Oblivion game of the year edition for 20 € in a tiny pc Shop which also sold ps3 games. I looked at the box and just decided to buy it for my ps3. It was 2009 and i was 12 Years old when i bought that with my allowance and i probably spent most of the next 2 years just obsessing over Oblivion until Skyrim came out and well im still playing Skyrim today :D
    • 773 posts
    April 1, 2019 7:38 AM EDT

My own story...

I guess it must have been around 1997, I went into a local computer game shop (back when such things existed!) and saw a copy of 'Daggerfall'. It was being promoted as a 'do anything you like in this sandbox world' kinda deal and that appealed to me so I bought it. I played it for a while, but the randomly generated nature of the world bugged me and I soon got a bit fed up it and it went onto the shelf.

Fast forward about four years and I heard about the follow up game, Morrowind. I read that it, by contrast with Daggerfall, the game world was hand-crafted, with everything specifically designed and put into place - yet was still huge! I was massively hyped about the game and bought it on the day of release. I played several hours per day for about 6 months until I finally vanquished Dagoth Ur. To this day, it is probably still my most immersive and profund gaming experience. Ok, it all feels a bit clunky nowadays, but back then it was absolutely streets ahead of anything else!

Obviously, I was on the hype train for Oblivion, then Skyrim, then ESO, and here we are today. Still playing ESO, with an occasional foray into Skyrim.

• 197 posts
    April 1, 2019 9:40 AM EDT

Oblivion was my first. And to be fair, it was my first video game ever, other than Atari’s Space Invaders or Pac-Man in the early 80s. I didn’t have friends or family who played, so I never got into it. FFW to 2006, and a gamer husband who wanted me to enjoy some of the same things he did, and there was Oblivion. I played obsessively for the first week or so (until I was seeing Nirnroot IRL) before calming down a bit and continuing on. I loved it all and played the game over and over until Skyrim came out. 

• 44 posts
    April 1, 2019 4:00 PM EDT

Morrowind was my first, was given to me by my step-sister. First time I heard of the Elder Scrolls and she said I might like it. And, she wasn't wrong. I got hooked pretty fast to the open-world wandering and checking around the Dunmer places. I remember getting lost in the Caldera mountains for hours, fighting cliffracers. xD

Next was Oblivion, but I couldn't get in at the time, due to poor PC. But I'm playing through it atm and enjoying it too.

Skyrim (I was thrilled when the ads came) and ESO are still games that I play a lot. :)

• 20 posts
    April 3, 2019 3:59 PM EDT

My first game was actually Arena! I didn't really play video games, pretty much all I played was Zoo Tycoon. Then around a year after Skyrim came out,my friend showed it to me and thought it was the coolest thing, so I made a steam account to buy it. I was only like 13 or something at the time so I had to wait for my mom to get it for me (we never had a lot of money) and while I was waiting I got DOSBOX and played through Arena, and I loved it!

Since then I've played through Skyrim a million times, and more recently Morrowind and Oblivion. I also play a lot of ESO, been pretty regular player since beta. Only one I haven't played through so far is Daggerfall, but I have it downloaded on my computer and it's on the list!

The Elder Scrolls will probably always be my favorite series as my introduction to fantasy and gaming in general. Much love on this big occasion!

• 1595 posts
    April 5, 2019 5:26 AM EDT
    I've got vague memories of playing Arena and Daggerfall with my dad - that was our father-son thing a few nights a week on which we'd work through a different rpg each night. But I don't remember them as clearly as I do Legend of Kyrandia or Monkey Island so it probably doesn't count.

My first proper TES game was Oblivion. I missed Morrowind's release on xbox because I chose Baldur's Gate (iirc) instead. I was living alone and just didn't have enough disposable income at that time, and there always seemed to be other games I wanted more.

It took quite a while for me to really get into TES IV Oblivion when that came out. I really liked it but struggled on my first playthrough. The game recommended I play an Agent, and I was like "sure why not?" I completely levelled the wrong skills (like speechcraft) and ended up a vampire. So that playthrough ended with me stuck in a troll-infested cave which I couldn't clear because my combat skills were shockingly under-levelled, nor could I leave it because it was daylight outside. For whatever reason it never occurred to me to wait until night to exit.

It took KotN to suck me into the game in a big way. The story just hooked me from the beginning and playing a knight/paladin type was a style I could get into far more easily than the sneaky agent. My need to understand wtf the Prophet was on about and what the Song of Pelinal and Adabal-a were telling me established my love of the setting in a big way. I couldn't not play Skyrim when that came out and dread to think how many hours I put into those two games.

Now I mostly play ESO because that's where it's at, is like five games rolled into one, and what is carrying The Elder Scrolls into the new decade. But occasionally I return to Skyrim for a change of pace or for old times sake.
    • 1441 posts
    April 5, 2019 12:18 PM EDT
    All of them. I started with Oblivion, as, even though I owned an original XBox, I didn't know Morrowind was a thing. I bought Oblivion in, oh, 2008 or 2009. I then played Skyrim, playing Daggerfall and Arena shortly after via DOSBox. I quit Daggerfall for a bit after getting lost in a dungeon, and Arena kept bugging out. I now play them with GoG. Haven't played any of the spinoffs