Forums » Elder Scrolls

TES 25th Anniversary Discussion - Crossover with TES

• 1467 posts
    March 28, 2019 7:33 AM EDT

Hey there, welcome to my little discussion. For those that don't know, we're currently celebrating The Elder Scrolls being 25 years old (older than a fair few of us I'd imagine) this week. For that I'm aiming to run a few little discussion to talk about one of our favourite gaming franchises and I thought one of the most fascinating possible discussions we could have is based on Crossovers with TES.

Image Credit - RomanDubina

I'm sure there are plenty of fanfics with this sort of aim, but what other games (or books, movies, TV shows, etc.) would you love to see crossover with TES. It can be something as over the top as Tamriel being invaded by the Flood from Halo, or discovering space travel to get in touch with the various Aliens of Mass Effect. Or it can be as simple as adding in magic from your favourite franchise involving magic...or just taking out the Gameplay of Skyrim and replacing it with a Dark Souls-esque combat system. Whatever you want as long as your mashing together at least two different universes with TES being one of them.

Also yes we are allowed to endlessly discuss the apparent assassination attempt on the Vault Dweller, or the fact that it looks like the Dragonborn and said Vault Dweller are swapping drugs? The point is that picture is amazing :P

Other 25th Anniversary Discussions

Favourite TES Book

Favourite Questline

This post was edited by SpookyBorn2021 at March 28, 2019 7:34 AM EDT
    • 1467 posts
    March 28, 2019 8:32 AM EDT

I think for me the starting point for an interesting Crossover will be purely Gameplay related before I move into more fun territory like melding two worlds together (which is far more lengthy for me personally because I can go off on tangents for years). I'm going to start in an interesting way by just using all From Software games as a starting point. 

Basically I think it would be awesome to blend the general fighting style of Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro into the TES Universe and play a game with all the difficulty of Sekiro (which is slightly more focused on fighting other humans) with a few of the boss moments of Dark Souls or Bloodborne and mixing the combat styles of all three games together a bit. So you'd get the pace of both Dark Souls and Sekiro (which can sort of be boiled down to 'Turtle Mode' and 'Super Ninja Mode') to create a variable combat system that focuses on parrying, blocking and various attack types depending on how you perk your character. From Bloodborne you get the awesome nature of Trick Weapons (basically weapons that have two forms and unique movesets for each). 

But yeah the whole game could dramatically change based on your perks, with combat being more difficult or easier for different characters in certain points. You'd have bosses that are weaker to block-heavy methods of combat, and others that are a bit more skill intensive and are easiest if you parry, deflect and avoid attacks like Sekiro. Combine that with the overall difficulty of the games and TES Lore and you've got a pretty awesome game. 

• 1595 posts
    April 1, 2019 9:26 AM EDT

Dragonborn2021 said:

I think for me the starting point for an interesting Crossover will be purely Gameplay related before I move into more fun territory like melding two worlds together (which is far more lengthy for me personally because I can go off on tangents for years). I'm going to start in an interesting way by just using all From Software games as a starting point. 

Basically I think it would be awesome to blend the general fighting style of Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro into the TES Universe and play a game with all the difficulty of Sekiro (which is slightly more focused on fighting other humans) with a few of the boss moments of Dark Souls or Bloodborne and mixing the combat styles of all three games together a bit. So you'd get the pace of both Dark Souls and Sekiro (which can sort of be boiled down to 'Turtle Mode' and 'Super Ninja Mode') to create a variable combat system that focuses on parrying, blocking and various attack types depending on how you perk your character. From Bloodborne you get the awesome nature of Trick Weapons (basically weapons that have two forms and unique movesets for each). 

But yeah the whole game could dramatically change based on your perks, with combat being more difficult or easier for different characters in certain points. You'd have bosses that are weaker to block-heavy methods of combat, and others that are a bit more skill intensive and are easiest if you parry, deflect and avoid attacks like Sekiro. Combine that with the overall difficulty of the games and TES Lore and you've got a pretty awesome game. 

I find it really hard to imagine a TES game being an action rpg. I just can't picture it :D I'd want it to be very cinematic, that's for sure.

I suppose I wouldn't mind seeing a strategy game of TES. I know we got Legends but I'm thinking it'd be quite neat for it to be an old-school RTS only a bit more fast-paced and accessible. Just something about moving units around a big map of Cyrodiil during the Three Banners War or recreating the Battle of Sancre-Tor appeals to me. RTS games are often too long winded for me, though. I remember playing SW Battlegrounds and getting my backside served up before I'd actually finished builing a decent army.

This post was edited by Paws at April 1, 2019 9:27 AM EDT
    • 1441 posts
    April 1, 2019 12:40 PM EDT

Oh so many, mostly anime based, ideals. Like imagine, say, a UA type school in Nirn, or Ainz Ooal Gown and his crew rocking up to try and takeover Tamriel

• 321 posts
    April 1, 2019 5:43 PM EDT
    Is it weird for me to have an idea for a crossover between Konosuba or Re:Zero with Elder Scrolls? I mean shit, we could basically do a whole roleplay experience where our character keeps dying and wakes up at their last 'checkpoint', completely aware of their past experiences.

Also, Fate/Elder Scrolls crossover. Period.
    • 1467 posts
    April 2, 2019 2:24 AM EDT

I find it really hard to imagine a TES game being an action rpg. I just can't picture it :D I'd want it to be very cinematic, that's for sure.

Depends on the ARGP in question. I think the modern ones could be a bit more bearable than say, the old God of War games, Darksiders, etc. Though really those are basically QTE games with puzzles thrown in from time to time, so barley even ARPG's. But things like Sekiro and God of War (especially the latter) are pretty story focused and the way Dark Souls layers little bits of Lore with items and small snippets of conversations or environmental cues could be really interesting in a TES world. 

Hard to work out fully, but it's at least more doable than it was 10 years ago when ARPG's were a much simpler genre. 

I suppose I wouldn't mind seeing a strategy game of TES. I know we got Legends but I'm thinking it'd be quite neat for it to be an old-school RTS only a bit more fast-paced and accessible. Just something about moving units around a big map of Cyrodiil during the Three Banners War or recreating the Battle of Sancre-Tor appeals to me. RTS games are often too long winded for me, though. I remember playing SW Battlegrounds and getting my backside served up before I'd actually finished builing a decent army.

Nah that's just you being too slow :P The fun of RTS games is learning how to effectively build up your army to be as strong as possible as early as possible. I remember trying to get into understanding the meta for Age of Empires 3 (back when that was a thing...and not actually playing competitively but just understanding how it works) and it's kinda fascinating to see that rather than building up your city and investing into resource gathering so you can create a super powerful army that's utterly massive, you really just want to get a large weaker army out to crush your opponent as soon as possible. Or at least it's the most powerful strategy, I know that you can 'Turtle' up quite effectively and prolong the game, and both are fun.

*cough* anyway, I think it's clear that I'd absolutely love a TES RTS, for me it would exactly be Age of Empires 2 or 3 with that TES influence, but it'd be really awesome just to get that style of game in the setting. I kind of picture it as something you could even work into the game like Gwent in the Witcher, people actually spend their time playing 'TES - Risk' in the Imperial City and you get to play it throughout the game. Dunno, but it'd be awesome to see regardless :D

• 1467 posts
    April 2, 2019 2:28 AM EDT
    Oh so many, mostly anime based, ideals. Like imagine, say, a UA type school in Nirn, or Ainz Ooal Gown and his crew rocking up to try and takeover Tamriel

Heh, of course, wouldn't expect it any other way. Overlord would be a really cool crossover IMO, partially because you also get to bring that D&D style system with you and the high level characters could be absolutely insane to play around with. That or just the idea of you leaving Sovengarde only to find The Throat of the World empty and Ainz has turned half of Skyrim into his own personal playground while you've been gone. So many hilarious things you could do with that sort of setting. 

Oh damn, FMA or Fairy Tail would be kinda awesome...well okay I've never finished the latter so the world doesn't make all that much sense to me still (I think they focused on that after where I'm up to) but the core concept of Dragon Slayers or even everyone wielding a unique magic is kinda cool. Plus you know, Alchemy from FMA in Skyrim would be totally awesome.

• 1467 posts
    April 2, 2019 2:32 AM EDT

Is it weird for me to have an idea for a crossover between Konosuba or Re:Zero with Elder Scrolls? I mean shit, we could basically do a whole roleplay experience where our character keeps dying and wakes up at their last 'checkpoint', completely aware of their past experiences.

Heh, I could really see Konosuba working, I haven't actually watched Re: Zero (I finished what was out for Konosuba and Danmachi and kind of couldn't continue to get into the genre), but yeah I think the whole concept could be really hilarious to blend in with TES. Especially if we follow the logic of Konosuba and have literally every character be as hilariously stupid as possible :P

Well duh, I mean it is probably technically canon (thanks Second Magic). But yeah Fate/Elder Scrolls would be incredibly badass 100% of the time. I'm just generally 100% down for either Shirou being launched into Skyrim for reasons, or a full on Holy Grail system being incorperated into TES Lore and we get a full on HGW with TES characters. 

I mean, does anything sound more awesome than Saber Septim (obviously a saber-face as per Fate tradition)

• 1441 posts
    April 2, 2019 11:06 AM EDT

Dragonborn2021 said:

Heh, of course, wouldn't expect it any other way. Overlord would be a really cool crossover IMO, partially because you also get to bring that D&D style system with you and the high level characters could be absolutely insane to play around with. That or just the idea of you leaving Sovengarde only to find The Throat of the World empty and Ainz has turned half of Skyrim into his own personal playground while you've been gone. So many hilarious things you could do with that sort of setting. 

Oh damn, FMA or Fairy Tail would be kinda awesome...well okay I've never finished the latter so the world doesn't make all that much sense to me still (I think they focused on that after where I'm up to) but the core concept of Dragon Slayers or even everyone wielding a unique magic is kinda cool. Plus you know, Alchemy from FMA in Skyrim would be totally awesome.

Yeah, hah.. And maybe have a few conversations with Ainz, where some of his, ah, less than Overlordy traits pop up. Plus, it would be funny if you could have some hammy evil reponses if you're going that route. Maybe have a divergent questline, where, say, you war with Ainz for control of Skyrim, or even join him.

Also, yeah, FMA Alchemy would be legit. I've seen a few builds trying to tackle it. And yeah, same with Fairy Tail, even though I haven't watched it in ages. Hmm, it would be interesting to add a bit of Youjo Senki-esque magic, wherein faith to certain deities boosts certain schools/spells, or Izetta the Last Witch, controlling inanimate objects to fight for you, at the cost of a bit of health every time you make an item fight. Maybe some Persona as well

• 1441 posts
    April 2, 2019 11:08 AM EDT

Dragonborn2021 said:

Heh, I could really see Konosuba working, I haven't actually watched Re: Zero (I finished what was out for Konosuba and Danmachi and kind of couldn't continue to get into the genre), but yeah I think the whole concept could be really hilarious to blend in with TES. Especially if we follow the logic of Konosuba and have literally every character be as hilariously stupid as possible :P

Well duh, I mean it is probably technically canon (thanks Second Magic). But yeah Fate/Elder Scrolls would be incredibly badass 100% of the time. I'm just generally 100% down for either Shirou being launched into Skyrim for reasons, or a full on Holy Grail system being incorperated into TES Lore and we get a full on HGW with TES characters. 

I mean, does anything sound more awesome than Saber Septim (obviously a saber-face as per Fate tradition)

Fucking Tiber Septim is basically Arthur with a beard. Though the question is, will he have a beam-based Noble Phantasm? And also, gender swaps, and yes, Second Magic. Wait, parallel worlds....Shadow Magic. Holy shit.....

• 1441 posts
    April 2, 2019 11:14 AM EDT

A-Pocky-Hah! said: Is it weird for me to have an idea for a crossover between Konosuba or Re:Zero with Elder Scrolls? I mean shit, we could basically do a whole roleplay experience where our character keeps dying and wakes up at their last 'checkpoint', completely aware of their past experiences. Also, Fate/Elder Scrolls crossover. Period.

Oh God, Darkness and Megumin as companions....oh, and Aqua too