Forums » General Gaming

The Outer Worlds Combat and Details

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 11, 2019 3:44 PM EST

Game Informer recently did a round of interviews with the game developers behind The Outer Worlds. On this one they focused on the game's combat and details.

I don't know game design or anything like that, but apparently they used Fallout New Vegas as a foundation for their system. "The team started out with Fallout: New Vegas as the "touchstone game," but soon deviated by adding things like companion commands and a slow-motion option called "tactical time-dilation".

https://www.gameinformer.com/exclusive-video/2019/02/11/exclusive-combat-gameplay-and-details-for-the-outer-worlds

• 700 posts
    February 11, 2019 4:59 PM EST

Interesting. Seems to work  like the VAFS mod fused with Crysis' suit energy system. The weapon brands remind me of Borderlands as well. They did the same thing, though with random mods instead of custom ones. The follower system sounds cool, but I just hope it works well in practice. Doubly so if they have a "Hardcore" mode where followers can die. If you go the Leadership route, you might end up on your ass by the late game if you have no follower options left and underpowered combat skills. Just speculation though. This game looks better with every new piece of information. 

• 1467 posts
    February 16, 2019 1:56 AM EST

Bit later than I wanted to be on this one, but I can't help but get more and more excited with each new piece of info they release. The other thing that's had me interested is the rumors and discussions about DLC or sequels and it seems like Obsidian might be in this game for the long haul which could be very interesting. I can't wait to see how the game will turn out.

I'm especially interested in hardcore mode...well that and really just how they're going to handle Companions in general. Could be really fascinating to see what they do to kind of set that system up as unique from...well Bioware or Fallout for the most part. I think the non-romance path is nice too, it's weird to say but that's almost unique feeling.