Forums » General Gaming

Which is your favorite rpg class(es) and why?

• 33 posts
    February 6, 2019 9:41 AM EST

Duvain said:

@Tirrene - Greetings fellow healer/support. Same here my go to types of characters are the healer/support types and it's true that many times the pacing with them can be much more relaxed compared to dps especially if you have experience with such characters of course there are also the times where all hell will break loose and you 'll have to heal like crazy but that is also part of the fun. This thing of taking a class that is not meant as support and playing it as such is one of my favorite things to do in games, it 's also refreshing to move out of the norm I even did that in MOBA games.

Oh not gonna lie the first time I played such a pure thief character was in Skyrim and it makes for pretty interesting gameplay since you have to use tactics more compared to casual hack and slash or cutthroat situation compared to a casual rogue/thief dagger wielding character. 

I got you on using non-meta supports on MOBAs; lately I've been playing a lot of support Ornn in LoL, buying healing or shielding items with his passive, then upgrading my teammates with his secondary passive. That guy has a lot of passives.

• 1441 posts
    February 6, 2019 12:18 PM EST

Duvain said:

Since I started the topic I think I 'll give my favorite classes as well.

1 - Healer. This has always been my No1 pick on mmorpg.

2 - Necromancer. My first dps / PvP character was a necromancer and since then I always liked this type of mages that could summon things and attack with magic or curses, debuffs etc

3 - Monks. A martial artist with elemenal and healing abilities? Yes please!

Why: I like healers because *puts on nerd glasses* I 'm pretty good when playing one and I can also control how the things I 'm  in a game like pvp, pve, raids etc. My favorite type of Healer is the type that can also diss out some secondary damage and debuffs, last time I played this one in an mmorpg was in Neverwinter. Also healers are pretty good roleplay material.

Necromancer - Well what can I say summoned creatures, curses, nukes and a few + points of badassery. Dark side is the best side. :P

Monks - I like martial arts a lot and having a guy kicking ass like that along with elemental or healing abilities sounds pretty good to me. They are also cool for roleplay.

My ideal class would be something between a healer and a necromancer something like having a guy with two attributes light, dark. Sadly this is kinda hard to find in an online game but at least it's easy to play one in Skyrim or Oblivion. :P

In the words of Abrdiged Dende, "Don't fuck with the White Mage"

• 167 posts
    February 6, 2019 12:29 PM EST

@Ebonslayer - Sometimes I also tend to use classes in certain games that are ususally not too high in my go to list because they work and offer good gameplay. For example in ES games like Oblivion and Skyrim despite my go to class is healers I 'm going like 70% of the time for a variation of an arcane archer or battlemage.

It's true that healers can feel very passive sometimes but that depends on the activity. I 've been playing mainly healers in mmos for like 15 years or something and I liked that aspect because if you want you could arrange and go do something where you will not have to be on your toes healing left and right and just chill and farm but other times you can do something that has a lot of gameplay flexing and "gaming stress" and it's very engaging. That being said even I had always a secondary dps character in any game I was playing as healer main, usually a dps mage or a rogue/assassin for pvp sometimes you just gotta go in hard guns blazing.

This post was edited by Duvain at February 6, 2019 12:29 PM EST
    • 167 posts
    February 6, 2019 12:36 PM EST

Chris said:

In the words of Abrdiged Dende, "Don't fuck with the White Mage"

Haha exactly, it's not advisable to fuck with the white mage, accidents do happen. :P

• 167 posts
    February 6, 2019 2:12 PM EST

@Tirrene - Yeah LoL was a game I did that a lot since my main position was support. Although it's been years since I stopped playing LoL regularly back then I was quite successful with using such characters like Brand, Annie, Malzahar, Anivia etc and this wasn't even a thing or meta back then and was even only picking them when playing with people I knew because more often than not you would hear things from others like "OMG pick normal support or I troll". :D

• 393 posts
    February 6, 2019 5:50 PM EST

Duvain said:

I also rarely ever played a paladin in any game apart from roleplaying I don't like the tank role in general so if I had to choose something along the line of a paladin type character I always go with a battle priest cleric type of guy with the classic heavy armor, mace, healing spells/buffs and some attack type spells from holy/fire attribute.

I have played a few. I don't a paladin necessarily as a tank, imo they can as well be a spellsword or an archer, as long as they are a religious warrior. In fact, I've played a darker version of a Daedric paladin with light armor and conjuration.

Duvain said:

True, what the character is and all other factors you mention make sense and matter a lot in the way you will take care of such situations and whether you will help or not. I 'm always thinking from the perspective of a type of character that has some battle prowess one way or another because games always put you in this position. Also the fact that I 've been playing a lot of chaotic neutral characters for quite a few months now like wizards with the whole lone wolf "seeker of truth" theme behind them has made me to think always from this perspective of the lone character/wanderer.

Battle prowess doesn't define a personality, being a lone wanderer doesn't either. The fact that you like playing chaotic characters doesn't automatically mean that a character is supposed to be that way by default.

Duvain said:

Yeah it's disposition and it is also expectations from others on how you will be treated unless of course a person like that realizes exactly what he 's doing and has none and doesn't care about said expectations which might come back to bite them at some point.

This kind of attitude can be intentionally used sometimes. Nothing else is better for discouraging people from having anything to do with you. So if you want to be left alone, that might do  it. If you can still feel good with yourself, that is.

• 167 posts
    February 6, 2019 9:29 PM EST

@Thorien - Oh certainly these types of "non mainstream paladins" devout warriors could work as well.

Well the chaotic neutral guys I 've been playing for months will probably be kinda that way. I mean they will first weigh all their gains and loses and won't be the first to jump the gun and go all in on helping someone and that is usually my way of thinking for doing something in game because my game is pretty hardcore as well and there are dungeons or areas that I might not be able to finish at certain levels and just lose time, this might be something that also enhances that way of thinking along with the fact that I 'm playing mostly chaotic neutral guys who put themselves first most of the times. Also I 'm creating in my character's backstories a bad event that turns them to have this mentality of me against the world since it's making it easier sometimes to rationalize why I will go to fight tens of dragons or hordes upon hordes of undead. Guess I should try playing a more good leaning guy been playing egotistical bastards for quite some time. :P

Justiciar Thorien said:

This kind of attitude can be intentionally used sometimes. Nothing else is better for discouraging people from having anything to do with you. So if you want to be left alone, that might do  it. If you can still feel good with yourself, that is.

That 's true but it is something I always failed to do until some time ago when I went to a certain workplace. I 'm always on the very positive and very being helpful to other decent fellows side since I have a certain degree of experience and knowledge but there is always a limit, when you have to consult constantly all of your coworkers and manager then you know something is going wrong there heck many take money just for doing that so I stopped left them to burn and bailed out. :P

• 393 posts
    February 8, 2019 2:19 AM EST

Duvain said:

Well the chaotic neutral guys I 've been playing for months will probably be kinda that way. I mean they will first weigh all their gains and loses and won't be the first to jump the gun and go all in on helping someone and that is usually my way of thinking for doing something in game because my game is pretty hardcore as well and there are dungeons or areas that I might not be able to finish at certain levels and just lose time, this might be something that also enhances that way of thinking along with the fact that I 'm playing mostly chaotic neutral guys who put themselves first most of the times. Also I 'm creating in my character's backstories a bad event that turns them to have this mentality of me against the world since it's making it easier sometimes to rationalize why I will go to fight tens of dragons or hordes upon hordes of undead. Guess I should try playing a more good leaning guy been playing egotistical bastards for quite some time. :P

Why does everyone think that being a good guy automatically makes you a total idiot who trusts everyone and doesn't give a shit about his own life?

Every sane person weighs all their gains and losses, and also their rights and wrongs and possible consequences. If they don't, they are probably not very bright or jusg very careless, and it has nothing to do with their alignment, onlywith their brains or lack thereof. The me against the world mentality doesn't appear from any bad event. As a person who used to have that mentality, I can tell you that most commonly it is born from betrayal and/or being bullied, hated or abandoned. In my case, however, this attitude didn't persist through a long time, because eventually I realized that it harms me even more than itharms others, and also that not all people are the same. It strongly depends on the environment too. If you are staying with the same bad people who caused you to be that way in the first place, then, naturally, things will only get worse. It all depends, you see.

As for fighting dragons and undead, no one, NO ONE does it because some random Joe said so. That's just not enough of motivation, not even for the saintest of lawful good fellows.

Duvain said:

That 's true but it is something I always failed to do until some time ago when I went to a certain workplace. I 'm always on the very positive and very being helpful to other decent fellows side since I have a certain degree of experience and knowledge but there is always a limit, when you have to consult constantly all of your coworkers and manager then you know something is going wrong there heck many take money just for doing that so I stopped left them to burn and bailed out. :P

I am also helpful... when they actually ask for help. And since I'm an introvert and barely talk to anyone, the idea to ask me for help doesn't often occur to people.

• 167 posts
    February 8, 2019 5:38 AM EST

You know, I 've noticed that when playing a game I can't roleplay or perceive a character as good as I would perceive a character while reading or writing on said character. When I 'm playing I keep to certain roleplay cliches a lot sometimes without even thinking which means my good guys even if there is a 70% chance of failure or even 80% they will still go hard on missions but the chaotic/neutrals or evil won't and I 'm also tending to dumb down my good guys a bit not sure why. But in general for some reason I never could perceive a character and roleplay him in a game as good as I would if I were to write about him or read about a character in fiction and I always tend to go for cliches like he is a good guy so he will slave away all the good deeds in the game. It might be because sometimes I get kinda bored when I have to mind flex on roleplay in order to put more depth into them. Maybe that 's the reason why I go for chaotic and neutrals, I 'll start a more relaxed Cleric playthrough since I have a pretty cool build in mind already and see how he goes and if I 'll be able to put more thought into him.

In regards to the me vs world mentality the bad events wherever I chose to add in any character come exactly from the things you mention in varying degrees and situations. 

• 393 posts
    February 8, 2019 7:13 AM EST

I think that happens to everyone if they don't think their character through. When I create a character, I make a mini-profile of them in my head (sometimes even on a paper), and that profile includes their main personality traits - not just the good/evil, but also if they are an outgoing or introverted type, their education, the key events of their life, their goals. I make sure to have a good image of how this character perceives the world. That helps me see how they would interact with NPCs, what would be their thoughts about a certain book and what they would do in a particular situation. The alignment doesn't even play such a big role.

For instance, one of my characters used to live in the poorest part of her city, among the worst people. She had often seen cases of domestic violence, rape and other sorts of abuse, and because of this she grew up into a very bitter woman who hates men. Now, as an adult, when she sees such things, it instantly sends her into the berserk mode. She would attack, and might even kill any man she sees abusing women or children. She feels more compassion for women and kids than men, and would be more willing to help a woman. Although she is more sympathetic towards elven women than human women, because #AltmerMasterRace, but hates elven and human men quite equally. She thought in the Great War and during it, discovered that her commander was a Daedra worshipper. As a devout worshipper of Auri-El, it felt like a huge betrayal to her, and made her disappointed with the Thalmor. Which means that she doesn't care much about their cause. She also hates Daedra worshippers with passion and would kill them without a second thought. Then she was abducted and turned into a vampire, which was essentially the end of her previous life, and she decided to become a vampire-hunter. She would kill vampires everywhere she encounters them, would actively search for vampires to kill, and would also kill other kinds of undead, Daedra, etc.

I could continue forever, lol. Basically, this is how it works for me. Based just on a few facts of the character's backstory, it's possible to figure out the playstyle. And notice, I haven't even mentioned her alignment.

Funny thing, I actually find all kinds of chaotic characters very shallow and boring in comparison to lawful and neutral ones. They seem to have no real goals and no motivation beyond their most basic needs and desires.

The thing with betrayals, bullying, etc. is that any of it doesn't necessarily result in the me against the world mentality. That seems to be the most likely effect when it happens to children, but it might affect a person in a variety of ways, depending on their personality and situation previous to the event. A person who doesn't trust people in general wouldn't be affected by a betrayal feeling annoyed or angry, while to a person who does trust people, it would be a devastating experience.

• 275 posts
    February 8, 2019 3:43 PM EST

Chaotic Neutral isn't a very "for myself" character, really, that's closer to Neutral Evil. Chaotic Neutral values their freedom from laws and rules above all else, and they're not too selfish or charitable beyond that, which is very unlike the Anarchist/Rebel "fight for freedom" idea of Chaotic Good or criminal aspect of Chaotic Evil. Neutral Evil is the definition of self-serving, as they'll do anything for their own profit be it following or breaking laws.

This post was edited by Ebonslayer at February 8, 2019 4:46 PM EST
    • 393 posts
    February 8, 2019 4:13 PM EST

Ebonslayer said:

Chaotic Neutral isn't a very "for myself" character, really, that's closer to Neutral Evil. Chaotic Neutral values their freedom from laws and rules above all else, and they're not too selfish or charitable beyond that, which is very unlike the Anarchist/Rebel "fight for freedom" idea of Chaotic Good or the tyrant-like Chaotic Evil. Neutral Evil is the definition of self-serving, as they'll do anything for their own profit be it following or breaking walls.

Sounds just a tiny bit less trigger-happy than Chaotic Evil... No wonder the mindset of these guys feels so disturbing to me.

• 275 posts
    February 8, 2019 4:40 PM EST

Justiciar Thorien said:

Sounds just a tiny bit less trigger-happy than Chaotic Evil... No wonder the mindset of these guys feels so disturbing to me.

Chaotic Neutral? Not really. Good and Evil in the alignment system translates better to Selfless and Selfish, while the Lawful and Chaotic scale merely indicates their willingness to go with societal norms and follow rules. A Chaotic Evil is selfish and will break the laws to fulfill their own wants or needs, think a thief or a murderer who actively breaks laws and harms others to help themselves, while Chaotic Neutral is more like that hermit out in the woods who points a shotgun and threatens you to get away from his house, as a real life example.

If you're talking Neutral Evil, also not exactly true. They're more akin to an amoral mercenary in a Medieval setting, willing to take any job so long as it offers them enough pay for the risk, with no qualms as to the morality or legality of the job.

This post was edited by Ebonslayer at February 8, 2019 4:44 PM EST
    • 393 posts
    February 8, 2019 4:52 PM EST

that hermit out in the woods who points a shotgun and threatens you to get away from his house

Wouldn't that be a True Neutral?

• 275 posts
    February 8, 2019 5:05 PM EST

Justiciar Thorien said:

Wouldn't that be a True Neutral?

I think True Neutral would be closer to the average civilized person as they'll pay heed to laws but won't actively try to enforce them like a Lawful Neutral would, but they (for the most part) won't threaten some stranger who walked past their house with a double barrel and get charged with misdemeanor or even a felony in some places unlike a Chaotic Neutral who simply doesn't give a fuck.

This post was edited by Ebonslayer at February 8, 2019 5:07 PM EST
    • 393 posts
    February 8, 2019 5:13 PM EST

Eh? I thought he was a hermit in the woods. Also, depending on the country, threatening someone with a gun to make them leave your property is not a crime as long as you don't actually harm them. A True Neutral doesn't care much about laws but acts on his own principles. While a Chaotic Neutral just does what he wants without thinking twice.

• 275 posts
    February 8, 2019 5:34 PM EST

Justiciar Thorien said:

Eh? I thought he was a hermit in the woods. Also, depending on the country, threatening someone with a gun to make them leave your property is not a crime as long as you don't actually harm them. A True Neutral doesn't care much about laws but acts on his own principles. While a Chaotic Neutral just does what he wants without thinking twice.

In earlier editions of D&D where the alignment system originated, druids were restricted to a True Neutral alignment, so you would be 100% correct back then, but since then the alignment systems have... evolved, in a way, and have more general definitions and meanings. A True Neutral now is closer to someone who just wants to live their life, be it with laws or without them, and they'll avoid fights that are not their own but usually not harm others for their own benefit. True Neutral is flexible, and yes it could be a hermit out in the woods, but likely they wouldn't pull a weapon on strangers, and more likely these True Neutrals would live in society.

• 275 posts
    February 8, 2019 5:35 PM EST

Justiciar Thorien said:

In earlier editions of D&D where the alignment system originated, druids were restricted to a True Neutral alignment, so you would be 100% correct back then, but since then the alignment systems have... evolved, in a way, and have more general definitions and meanings. A True Neutral now is closer to someone who just wants to live their life, be it with laws or without them, and they'll avoid fights that are not their own but usually not harm others for their own benefit. True Neutral is flexible, and yes it could be a hermit out in the woods, but likely they wouldn't pull a weapon on strangers, but more likely these True Neutrals would live in society.

This post was edited by Ebonslayer at February 8, 2019 5:37 PM EST
    • 393 posts
    February 8, 2019 5:40 PM EST

How would he make an intruder leave his property then? Scaring them away seems the most effective way to remove them without a fight.

I don't know much about D&D, I'm thinking from the real life perspective.

• 275 posts
    February 8, 2019 5:44 PM EST

Justiciar Thorien said:

How would he make an intruder leave his property then? Scaring them away seems the most effective way to remove them without a fight.

I don't know much about D&D, I'm thinking from the real life perspective.

We're talking about different situations. I'm saying the Chaotic Neutral would threaten you if you came anywhere near their house (if they can see you while they're sitting on their porch, you're too close, and it's shotgun time) while a True Neutral wouldn'y. An intruder in the house would be completely different, and I'm fairly certain any alignment would try to apprehend or kill the intruder.

• 393 posts
    February 8, 2019 6:00 PM EST

Threatening someone is not a crime, anyway. No one is obliged to be nice, even Lawful Good. The difference is that unlike the True Neutral, the Chaotic Neutral might actually shoot. The difference between Chaotic Neutral and Chaotic Evil is only that the former won't actively seek for opportunities to harm others. I.e. a trigger-happy fellow, yet not a bandit.

• 275 posts
    February 8, 2019 6:06 PM EST

Justiciar Thorien said:

Threatening someone is not a crime, anyway. No one is obliged to be nice, even Lawful Good. The difference is that unlike the True Neutral, the Chaotic Neutral might actually shoot. The difference between Chaotic Neutral and Chaotic Evil is only that the former won't actively seek for opportunities to harm others. I.e. a trigger-happy fellow, yet not a bandit.

I doubt the Chaotic Neutral would shoot unless he truly felt the intruder (in their eyes) was an active threat. Neutral on the Good/Evil scale would likely use killing as a last resort unless they were an adventurer in D&D or some other fantasy setting, in which case they're more personally oriented towards protecting their friends. However, we do have to remember the rule of the alignment system from the last few years: alignment is a description, not a prescription, and thus it means this hermit could shoot without warning, talk first, or just shoo them off, maybe never even pulling a weapon. In truth, people would change alignments all the time, it just depends on the circumstances.

This post was edited by Ebonslayer at February 8, 2019 6:08 PM EST
    • 393 posts
    February 8, 2019 6:19 PM EST

This instant he doesn't feel that way, the next he does... isn't that the essence of Chaotic? Their only law is their wishes.

They wouldn't actively seek to harm people but are likely to do it to protect themselves. They won't help people unless there's a profit. Friends? I doubt such a person would have real friends.

• 275 posts
    February 8, 2019 6:27 PM EST

Justiciar Thorien said:

This instant he doesn't feel that way, the next he does... isn't that the essence of Chaotic? Their only law is their wishes.

They wouldn't actively seek to harm people but are likely to do it to protect themselves. They won't help people unless there's a profit. Friends? I doubt such a person would have real friends.

Chaotic simply means they do not follow societal rules, they aren't completely random as a rule (though they can take the "chaos" to the literal level if they wish, that simply makes them Chaotic Stupid).

Chaotic Neutral doesn't necessarily mean no friends. Again, alignment is a description and not a prescription, Chaotic Neutral doesn't simply mean you're a hermit who lives in the woods, it is simply an example. A Chaotic Neutral can live in society, just don't expect them to pay that driving ticket, and end up in jail quite a bit for various things.

This post was edited by Ebonslayer at February 8, 2019 6:31 PM EST
    • 393 posts
    February 8, 2019 6:43 PM EST

I never said they are random, only that they don't give a shit about anything but their wishes. The moment they start caring about others' wishes and opinions, it's a step towards Neutral. And to have friends, you need to respect their wishes and opinions at least to some extent. It is, in a way, a rule, a law of society. A Chaotic character isn't necessarily stupid, he is egocentric. Only his opinion matters. This sort of person can have people he hangs out with, but that's not real friends.