Forums » General Gaming

Anyone playing Dragons Dogma?

• 67 posts
    January 18, 2019 2:58 AM EST

I played the hell outta this game when it came out in 2013,and recently got the xbox one version. Does anyone have a pawn character for DD. If so would you like to share characters. I currently have a level 28 Fighter. You can find him by typing in my Gamer tag "Furrion 17" Add me as friend on xbox live too if ya like. I'd be happy to use one of your characters too :) I'm rolling a magic archer at the moment.

• 1467 posts
    January 18, 2019 3:55 PM EST

Eh, I fired it up a bit ago but got back into Bloodborne really shortly after so I'm not playing at the moment (and I Have no idea if it's cross-compatible), shame too because I was hoping to try out the uh...Shieldmage? Can't for the life of me remember the name right now but that works.

• 62 posts
    January 19, 2019 10:41 AM EST

I'm obsessed with Dragon's Dogma, but I just can't seem to get into the whole pawn thing. I just play solo, which makes me feel like I'm missing a big part of what makes the game unique. I've actually been looking for an excuse to try training a pawns bestiary knowledge because the "challenges" you have to complete look pretty fun. I also recently restarted my main character from scratch in an attempted no-death run that didn't pan out (I forgot how long it takes to get forward roll). So...I'd be totally willing to develop a pawn based on whatever you want your third party member to be. What exactly are you looking for? I'll build it from the ground up to your exact specifications! Just let me know if it ever falls to far behind in level for you, because I honestly might not play with it much outside training it for your party. EDIT: By playing online I was actually able to recover an old cloud save where I had a lv47 Strider. My tag is jonathanmking88. Though I can always start a new game on another account if you still want a custom build. I really would have a lot of fun if you wanted to challenge me to train a pawn for you.
    This post was edited by Tysoyaha at January 19, 2019 11:56 AM EST

• 62 posts
    January 19, 2019 10:50 AM EST

Dragonborn2021 said:

I was hoping to try out the uh...Shieldmage? 

Mystic Knight. That's what I'm playing now. I'm working on a Shield+Staff version of the MK and it's really challenging. If you're interested, I can post a build once I iron out all the kinks.

This post was edited by Tysoyaha at January 19, 2019 10:51 AM EST
    • 67 posts
    January 20, 2019 4:33 PM EST
    @DB - I wish it was cross platform I don't think it is though.

@Tysoyaha - That would be awesome man. My party usually is Me (Magick Archer or Sorcerer, My Fighter, A Mage and either a warrrior or Strider depending on my Vocation. So if you were to do a main Pawn, the constant character I usually have is a support Mage. Andy ne and halidome and the one increases defence are main stats I'd look for.
    • 62 posts
    January 20, 2019 8:15 PM EST
    Ok, so Anodyne, High Halidom, and Spellscreen. To add to the support roll, I'd recommend Holy Affinity and probably high Grapnel.

You want me to train it to spam holy focused bolt, or stick with Debilitations like Silentium and Grapnel even after everyone else is buffed?
    This post was edited by Tysoyaha at January 20, 2019 8:29 PM EST
    • 67 posts
    January 20, 2019 9:56 PM EST

I can see Grapnel being really useful. I think that is one of the more overlooked skills. I havn't seen many pawns with that one. It's really handy for locking down some of the tough enemies like ogres. Holy Afinity will be good one to have as well, especially for BBI. So Spellscreen, Anodyne, Halidom, Grapnel, Holy Afinity and maybe one ofensive spell like levin, frigor or ingle? Silentium could be replicated by using an enhanced golden staff like Path to Heaven. It may be worth changing their vocation to a sorcerer at some point to get acesss to some of the Augments like Articulacy and Conservation.

If you feel like having a meatshield for your travels my Fighter is turning out to be a pretty descent tank. He's a Scather/Pioneer inclination. Also let me know when you make your pawn and i'll hire them and give you some gear if you like.

• 62 posts
    January 21, 2019 1:17 AM EST
    Yea, considering the other skills you want I'll probably focus on Augments that let you cast faster/more often instead of raising magic stat. I also figure I'd give them either legions might or a rusted/golden staff...so Grapnel is probably way better than an offensive spell. If you do want to use a rusted staff then Blearing or Frazil will Torpor pretty quickly. So that could be useful.
    This post was edited by Tysoyaha at January 21, 2019 1:23 AM EST
    • 1467 posts
    January 21, 2019 1:23 AM EST

Mystic Knight. That's what I'm playing now. I'm working on a Shield+Staff version of the MK and it's really challenging. If you're interested, I can post a build once I iron out all the kinks.

That could be fascinating, I'd definitely love to see the build (or any other Dragon's Dogma builds for that matter). I've never played as a Mystic Knight, but my general idea was to try to function as a bit of a tank which is something I hadn't done in the game, not sure how well it'll work (more worried about my Pawns not being effective)....hmm might have to get back into playing it :)

• 67 posts
    January 21, 2019 1:47 AM EST

Tysoyaha said: Yea, considering the other skills you want I'll probably focus on Augments that let you cast faster/more often instead of raising magic stat. I also figure I'd give them either legions might or a rusted/golden staff...so Grapnel is probably way better than an offensive spell. If you do want to use a rusted staff then Blearing or Frazil will Torpor pretty quickly. So that could be useful.

Yea Legions might is an awesome staff to have for late game. Don't have to worry about reviving if pawn gets KO'd. Um yea so go for that one. And you may as well throw in silentium because any offensive magic will be pretty meh with a low magic stat. But I've always thought of the mage as the support class anyway, if you want dps go for a sorcerer.

Mystic Knight is a badass vocation. I killed the drake that hangs out in the forest near the shadow fort in like 2 or 3 hits after storing enough of his melee attacks on a demonspite, that shield skill absolutly wrecks if you know how to use it. And Holy Furor for the lols. Great cannon and full moon slash are an awesome combo too, especially if you have an enchanted weapon, thing goes off like a machine gun. And stonegrove is pretty fun as well. Mystic knight is probs my my fav class in the game, I've always liked paladins/death Knights.

• 1467 posts
    January 21, 2019 3:09 AM EST

Mystic Knight is a badass vocation. I killed the drake that hangs out in the forest near the shadow fort in like 2 or 3 hits after storing enough of his melee attacks on a demonspite, that shield skill absolutly wrecks if you know how to use it. And Holy Furor for the lols. Great cannon and full moon slash are an awesome combo too, especially if you have an enchanted weapon, thing goes off like a machine gun. And stonegrove is pretty fun as well. Mystic knight is probs my my fav class in the game, I've always liked paladins/death Knights.

Is that the one that I use to kill enemies with :P Cause if that's how you use it I've figured it out mostly (no I haven't, the Mystic Knight has some of the most interesting, unique skills in the game). Sounds pretty badass to be honest, I've definitely been a big Paladin fan for, well ever, and Clerics for that matter so it sounds like it'll be right up my ally. 

• 62 posts
    January 21, 2019 11:02 AM EST
    @Fur: Yea, silentium was my first instinct too, but because I don't use pawns much I'm not exactly sure if they'd waste a bunch of time casting that on non-spellcaster type enemies? Then again...even if they do, it'll just give me a good reason to train it's bestiary knowledge!

I was thinking of grabbing The Ring of Perseverance so that I could max Vocation ranks without gaining too many levels and then train them mostly as a ranger for those sweet sweet stamina gains. What do you think?

Btw, if you have a warrior pawn, Iraklis' critical will multiply the damage of any enchantment you give it too... which can do INSANE damage. Multi-hit attacks proc the critical most often so giving them Indomitable Lunge and teaching them to spam their jumping heavy core attack is the way to go. That's probably how I'll play with this pawn, expect I'll be there warrior.

Oh, and what will this pawns gender and name be? What Inclinations are you looking for?

On Mystic Knights: Yea, they're pretty badass. Though my build is more of a battlemage than a Paladin/Death Knight since my weapon will only be for spellcasting. Btw, if you REALLY want to see a machine gun great cannon, combine two of them with Blessed Riposte!
    • 62 posts
    January 21, 2019 1:53 PM EST

Update: Ok, so I spent my morning getting two copies of the Ring of Perseverance and Legions Might. Named her Anita and made her semi-short for good stamina recovery. I can change any of that just by restarting on hard though. Which I plan to do anyway, as soon as I'm ready to grind DP/EXP...I just wanted to set up a Portcrystal at greatwall first.

So far I've just been training Mage so she's like lv12 and rank 5, iirc? Once mage is maxed I'll do Sorc for the augnents and then whatever you want. Here's the thing though...I got silentium and she uses it constantly on things that don't even use magic. Maybe we should hold off on that skill until I can train her bestiary knowledge a bit.

Btw, how do inventory items work when renting? Like...do only equipped items carry over, or would Wyrmkings ring carry over into your game?

• 67 posts
    January 21, 2019 2:03 PM EST

Sounds good man. I read somewhere the best way to train your pawn is to spec yourself the same as them and show them how too do things.

Ranger sounds good for stamina man.

And as far as looks I usually make my characters look like other characters from games or movies. So Triss or Yennefer from the Witcher, Morrigan from Dragon Age, Daenerys from GOT. You could even make a Dumbledore or Gandalf lol. The only limit is you imagination with DD character creator. It's really good. Um so yea not too fussed with name or gender any of those would work fine, just don't put a really squeaky high pitched voice on them lol.

Thier inclinations should be to priortise healing and buffing the party and debilitating/disabling enemies. Can't quite recall the name for those. Mendicant and Mitigator? 

This post was edited by Furrion 17 at January 21, 2019 2:05 PM EST
    • 67 posts
    January 21, 2019 2:13 PM EST

Tysoyaha said:

Update: Ok, so I spent my morning getting two copies of the Ring of Perseverance and Legions Might. Named her Anita and made her semi-short for good stamina recovery. I can change any of that just by restarting on hard though. Which I plan to do anyway, as soon as I'm ready to grind DP/EXP...I just wanted to set up a Portcrystal at greatwall first.

So far I've just been training Mage so she's like lv12 and rank 5, iirc? Once mage is maxed I'll do Sorc for the augnents and then whatever you want. Here's the thing though...I got silentium and she uses it constantly on things that don't even use magic. Maybe we should hold off on that skill until I can train her bestiary knowledge a bit.

Btw, how do inventory items work when renting? Like...do only equipped items carry over, or would Wyrmkings ring carry over into your game?

Yea i'm pretty sure it's just the equiped stuff that carries over. But when you are on New game + I think if you gift the Wyrmkings ring to someones pawn, the guy that does forges will sell another one for a heafty price.

Hmm yea I can see that using silentium on a cyclops would be a bit useless lol. how about coming back to it once she gets smarter and seeing how she goes then? maybe use ingle or levin as a space saver for now? 

• 62 posts
    January 21, 2019 4:30 PM EST

Yes, that's right. They'll learn techniques and combos from you. You don't even need to be the same vocation, just have the same skills. Augnents will also encourage certain habits, so I'm gonna look into that because I forget what does what.

This game has some really interesting mechanics, so if you're interested in learning more about them you should check out Nihil0.0 on YouTube. There's some really geeky shit on his channel, and I fucking love it.

I'll figure out a cool pop culture reference character to make you. That sounds like it might be fun!

• 67 posts
    January 24, 2019 4:13 PM EST
    How hard is hard mode? If I'm level 70 would I be OK to try it? How's your playthrough going. I've been using your ranger quite a bit so you should be a fair bit of rift crystals. Just started NG+ and started BBI run. That Gore Cyclops is no push over. I had to use a wakestone to finish the fight with him.
    • 62 posts
    January 24, 2019 5:00 PM EST

Nice, thanks man! Do I need to level the ranger for you? She's also a maxed out Strider if you want me to mix it up.

I play the whole game solo on hard mode, so I think lv70 will be fine. When I was first leaning the game I died a lot though...and even when I didn't it was because I relied pretty heavily on debilitations, especially torpor. Now I can hold my own a little better, but only because I know a bit more about enemy animations and achieving knock downs and all that... Just so you know, you get more exp, dp and money on hard so while it's an uphill struggle at first, a lot of people consider it easier than regular difficulty in the long run. I usually play as assassin, or MK/MA with a handicap so I still find it challenging.

This post was edited by Tysoyaha at January 24, 2019 7:18 PM EST
    • 62 posts
    January 26, 2019 9:04 AM EST

Hmm...looks like I don't play nearly enough to keep up with you. I just farmed Death and got my ranger to lv79 thinking it would be a few levels ahead of you. Logged online and you're lv96 now.

It was a cool idea, training a pawn to keep up with you, but we'd have to play the same amount basically and that's not happening. Lol. Sorry man, I suck.

• 67 posts
    January 26, 2019 9:18 PM EST
    Hehe it's OK man. I think any charcter that's not a fighter or warrior will be fine as long as they are like 50 or more. I've found that the dificulty kinda plateaus after you hit 70 or so. Warriors and fighters are fine for bbi after 70. My pawns pretty tanky now. I've just been using me and him for the 15 levels. He keeps the aground off me pretty well while cast spells and debunks. I'm running real low on RC atm cause I repaired all but the last riftstone in bitterblack isle.

I think I used your pawn for 3/4 of Bitterblack isle and pretty much the entire main question line after meeting the duke.

I only leveled so much cause I had a bunch of spare time off work. I got nostalgic playing the game and couldn't put it down the magic system in it is by far the most godly feeling magic in any game I've played. I love making massive earthquakes, and meteors. Ricochet arrow is hilariously op in bitterblack isle.
    • 62 posts
    January 27, 2019 8:19 AM EST

Man, I need to get my builds up before you reach lv200. I think you'd like them.

• 62 posts
    January 28, 2019 12:22 PM EST

Hey, I thought about it and frankly, I'll probably never get around to finishing those builds. I can give you the jist of it though. Magic Archer is really fun to solo, so if things are feeling easy for you then maybe it's time to ditch the pawn. Instead, here are some strategies for when enemy aggro is always on your weak little bow-mage:

- When in doubt, Forward Roll. It's not as flashy as some of the other tactics, but it's the most consistently reliable. It also cancels out of most of the charge skills that make up the other tactics.

- If a large enemy is running at you, you can always jump off a cliff and then levitate back to safety as they fall to their death for an easy victory.

- If a large enemy is running at you they can also be made to run head first into a well timed Frigor. This blocks their attack, and has a good chance to either stagger or break horns that'll leave then vulnerable to a knock down. Great both defensively and offensively...once you get the timing down, that is.

- Many enemies, large and small alike, can set off explosive Rivets with their own attacks. This usually interrupts the attack and often staggers, meaning that sometimes it's more effective, both defensively and offensively to place Explosive Rivets in the ground near enemies rather than on them.

- Vortex Trail is instrumental in controlling groups of enemies. It keeps them contained and at a distance, while also making it easier to hit multiple enemies with some of your strongest attacks (Explosive Bolt, Frigor, Cosmeton, Sunflare and Scension). In fact, the more enemies you suck toward an Explosive Bolt the easier it is to get one if then to activate it, taking them all out very quickly.

- Hit a large enemy with Vortex Trail and it'll suck nearby mobs toward it, increasing the chance of friendly fire. Offensively, I wouldn't rely on this...but it's a nice plus if you're already using VT for defense.

- Scension can stagger and even Knockdown surprisingly large enemies. So it can have great defensive utility, just be prepared to dodge cancel out if you don't charge it in time.

- Perdition may not seem like much, but if you use it with a Rusted Staff it procs Torpor extremely fast. Torpor and Curse are the two most widely unresisted status ailments and, while not exactly specialized tools, can give you a slight advantage in almost any fight. Which can be a lot more useful than it sounds.