Forums » Elder Scrolls

What is the Elder Scrolls game Todd Howard wants to make?

• 83 posts
    January 13, 2019 8:15 AM EST

See topic.

I read a post on the Skyrim board on the Sony online service that "There will be no TES6 on the PS4.  EVER!  Todd Howard of Bethesda has said several times that current platforms can't handle the game he wants to make."

So, what, exactly, is this game Todd Howard wants to make?  I'd understand if it was set in the entire WORLD of Nirn, as opposed to simply one country (like the other Elder Scrolls games.)

• 33 posts
    January 13, 2019 10:29 AM EST
    Well that sucks so no ES6 for xboner either, lol. What about ES6 for PC?
    • 277 posts
    January 13, 2019 12:05 PM EST

PS3 did get screwed over with the dlcs in Skyrim...

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 13, 2019 12:56 PM EST

I don't think it has anything to do with wanting to make the entire continent. It would be too much to handle, and I honestly don't think Beth's got what it takes, nor anyone does, in fact. When it comes to the provinces, it's better to focus on one and make it good. That said, it doesn't mean he doesn't want to make a big game, but it can be in a province as "small" as High Rock, for example. It's a matter of scale, time and technology: I'm sure Skyrim would have been bigger if possible.

But I'm unsure if it come down only to scale. I think that's a part of it, but there must be something else, I just hope to Talos that it's not multiplayer of any kind (2 player co-op or not).

• 275 posts
    January 13, 2019 2:17 PM EST

Noodles said:

Actually, the DLCs are on PS3. I played them countless times back before I got my laptop to play Skyrim on a few years back.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 13, 2019 2:47 PM EST

Ebonslayer said:

Noodles said:

Actually, the DLCs are on PS3. I played them countless times back before I got my laptop to play Skyrim on a few years back.

I don't think that's what he meant, though. I played them too, but I remember there was some troubles at Bethesda with implementing them, no? Or it came out later on Playstation? I don't remember what happened exactly, but something did.

• 277 posts
    January 13, 2019 4:41 PM EST
    The dlcs came months later on ps3 as opposed to the other platforms. It was quite the delay.
    • 167 posts
    January 14, 2019 11:42 AM EST

This might have something to do with Sony and the pressure Bethesda and other companies have put on them because they are not quite "flexible" with downloadable content / mods etc and some things that can increase sales in general it's all about $.

What I say bellow might seem harsh or that I 'm bashing on Bethesda but quite the opposite Bethesda's games are some of my favorite games (and I 've played quite a few) and I still play Oblivion and Skyrim (due to mods mostly but still). What I say bellow comes from facts and there are numerous sources to find them I give two links with summaries and some google searches can give you the results. On to the point.

All of Nirn? :D Skyrim's towns are ridiculously small and lousy and some places/towns that existed in previous ES games were cut off from Skyrim and were never implemented. Also the world doesn't make any sense in terms of food / citizens / enemies etc (Witcher 3 did that for example).

It is no secret to many people that have been modding the game or were a bit more engaged with the game in general that ES games are poorly made by a technical perspective and this also put harsh limits to the game's world. Take a few minutes and see this here to get an idea at what Bethesda is doing since Morrowind Click Here what the guy says here is 100% legit.

So, taking all the things above into consideration I don't really know what Todd Howard wants to make but I know what I 'm expecting which is a game that is built upon the previous ones with major band aid tactics and with most of the bugs the previous games had, very bad physics and judging by the major dumbing down of writing/questilines like in Skyrim, also heard FO4 is pretty bad in this regard (haven't played it though so can't really tell) I expect very bad writing with zero depth and just the casual do 8 quests of go there -> kill this -> become the leader of everything because according to this Click Here the general spirit of story writing in Betheda from Skyrim onwards is "stupid is better" he literally says this along with that people don't care about story in their games but just to kill things. That being said I expect at least a decent open world and dungeon experience so the modders can come in and fix/improve the game.

I hope the FO76 thing that went down might make them to change a bit for the better their technical part and story writing in their future releases.

• 122 posts
    January 15, 2019 12:16 AM EST
    He probably wants to make TES6 another Fallout game.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 15, 2019 10:52 AM EST

Duvain said:

also heard FO4 is pretty bad in this regard (haven't played it though so can't really tell)

Skyrim's writing is amazing when compared to Fallout 4.

• 393 posts
    January 15, 2019 12:57 PM EST

Mr. Edd said:

Even the worst of writers becomes better with practice and time... but apparently it just doesn't work this way for Emil Whateverishislastname.

This post was edited by Justiciar Thorien at January 15, 2019 1:03 PM EST
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 15, 2019 4:32 PM EST

Justiciar Thorien said:

Mr. Edd said:

Even the worst of writers becomes better with practice and time... but apparently it just doesn't work this way for Emil Whateverishislastname.

Pagliarulo. Know his name, for knowing the name gives you power over the entity!

• 393 posts
    January 15, 2019 4:36 PM EST

Lol. If I had power over this entity I would come to him in his dreams every night (wouldn't wish such a nightmare to the worst enemy) and read him some nice English classic books so he learns how to write. But alas, I won't be able to pronounce his surname ever. Even with the ugliest Russian accent.

This post was edited by Justiciar Thorien at January 15, 2019 4:41 PM EST
    • 87 posts
    January 18, 2019 11:36 AM EST
    My guess is that the next game will be High Rock and Hammerfell combined, as some others have suggested. This would indeed be very taxing, and maybe only a pc could handle it. I don’t know. I see a lot of negativity on this thread, which is understandable(although concerning the point about writing, yes the quests in Skyrim weren’t as in depth but they were written by the same people who wrote Oblivion quests, which were fantastic). However, I prefer to take the path of optimism, which I am usually not prone to taking. I think they will learn from their mistakes after the FO76 disaster. Ultimately I think the answer will reveal itself in their next game, Starfield. If that proves to be an amazing open world RPG, then I won’t be worried about ES6. If not, well, as Hagrid once said, “we’ll get to that later”.
    This post was edited by Decumus Scotti at January 18, 2019 11:37 AM EST
    • 275 posts
    January 18, 2019 12:52 PM EST

Decumus Scotti said:

My guess is that the next game will be High Rock and Hammerfell combined, as some others have suggested. This would indeed be very taxing, and maybe only a pc could handle it. I don’t know. I see a lot of negativity on this thread, which is understandable(although concerning the point about writing, yes the quests in Skyrim weren’t as in depth but they were written by the same people who wrote Oblivion quests, which were fantastic). However, I prefer to take the path of optimism, which I am usually not prone to taking. I think they will learn from their mistakes after the FO76 disaster. Ultimately I think the answer will reveal itself in their next game, Starfield. If that proves to be an amazing open world RPG, then I won’t be worried about ES6. If not, well, as Hagrid once said, “we’ll get to that later”.

Likely they'll release it during the next generation of consoles which will likely be just as powerful as PCs. I also believe they are just (barely) intelligent enough that they know they'll cut off over half of their already dwindling playerbase if they make it PC exclusive.

I don't think they'll learn from their FO76 mistake. Look at the past, it has all lead to this moment for years. Horse Armor, the paid mods shenanigans in the months after Skyrim came out, the Creation Club, etc. They've dug this hole for years and they've finally fallen in.

• 167 posts
    January 24, 2019 3:30 PM EST

A few days late for the reply but I was too busy to catch up with Tamriel Vault things. Actually the lead writer for Skyrim Emil Pagliarulo is the one who wrote Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood questline which is one of my favorite ES questlines and worlds apart from its Skyrim counterpart. So we see that he can write good things but it is just the whole dumbing down and their general changed stance as a studio on their targetted audience (kids)  that led to the writing of Skyrim. I hope we will see an improvement in future titles.

Trivia: He is not anymore in the lead writter position for BGS but he has the position of Design Director which I 'm not sure how good it is because he has a say now in most things regarding a game's development in general.

• 393 posts
    January 24, 2019 3:40 PM EST

At the times of Oblivion he probably had to work under some superior and wasn't the one to say the final word. But he was the one responsible for the whole Fallout 4 story, which is beyond shitty.

Whatever position he may officially hold in Bethesda now, I don't care. I have no trust or sympathy left for them and I'm almost sure tht TES is going to suck miserably.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 24, 2019 4:16 PM EST

Duvain said:

A few days late for the reply but I was too busy to catch up with Tamriel Vault things. Actually the lead writer for Skyrim Emil Pagliarulo is the one who wrote Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood questline which is one of my favorite ES questlines and worlds apart from its Skyrim counterpart. So we see that he can write good things but it is just the whole dumbing down and their general changed stance as a studio on their targetted audience (kids)  that led to the writing of Skyrim. I hope we will see an improvement in future titles.

Trivia: He is not anymore in the lead writter position for BGS but he has the position of Design Director which I 'm not sure how good it is because he has a say now in most things regarding a game's development in general.

Emil was a quest designer in Oblivion, though, wasn't he?

• 167 posts
    January 24, 2019 4:54 PM EST

@Mr. Edd - Yeah checking again I see that he was the quest designer for Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood questline my memory got jagged up and I thought all this time that he was the quest designer and the writer for the DB questline good thing you mentioned it.

Here is the page in UESP saying what he did for BGS up until Skyrim - Click Here

This post was edited by Duvain at January 24, 2019 4:55 PM EST
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 24, 2019 7:09 PM EST

Duvain said:

@Mr. Edd - Yeah checking again I see that he was the quest designer for Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood questline my memory got jagged up and I thought all this time that he was the quest designer and the writer for the DB questline good thing you mentioned it.

Here is the page in UESP saying what he did for BGS up until Skyrim - Click Here

Wow.

He lost a lot of weight.

• 224 posts
    February 7, 2019 12:40 AM EST

Todd Howard wants to make every single person live on his Elder Scrolls universe... being in coma connected to a VR...

• 29 posts
    April 28, 2020 3:18 AM EDT
    The game is meant to be next gen, or possibly whatever consoles are around whenever Bethesda decides to make ESVI a priority. Personally, I will not be playing Starfield or whatever other expansions the company cobbles together for ESO. It's been nearly a decade, and it's likely that ESVI won't see the light of day for another few years. I think he wants to make the game much bigger and better than Skyrim. Skyrim is still relevant, what with all the mods and whatnot, but I think that we need something more concrete to look forward to. Show off some concept art or something every now and again to keep us on our toes. Something other than conflicting statements and condescension.