Forums » General Gaming

Recommend Me A Game!

• 277 posts
    January 12, 2019 3:40 AM EST

• 277 posts
    January 12, 2019 3:52 AM EST

I'm looking for a game that covers all of the following:

• single player RPG (I'd prefer it to be one in which you get to choose your race/gender/appearance/class but I'm ok with playing an estabilished character too)
    • dungeon delving involving the need to solve lots of puzzles
    • ranging from Indie to AAA (I don't care as long as it's not a cheap knock off of something else)
    • difficulty: not hardcore (I only play for fun as a hobby)
    • not requiring grinding and not containing micro transactions (just to clarify, I don't consider visiting all the extra vistas in witcher 3 a form of grinding)
    • platform: PC (though I tend to chill by gaming with an xbox one controller)

And I would very much appreciate if the game is based on medieval fantasy but I'm open to anything.

This post was edited by Noodles at January 12, 2019 3:53 AM EST
    • 1467 posts
    January 12, 2019 3:59 AM EST
    Damn the puzzles really threw me off...the only one I can think of is Divinity: Original Sin but I don't know for sure how puzzley it is later on.

Otherwise it fits for the most part...hmm I'll keep thinking of others (or I'll just browse through my Steam games)
    • 277 posts
    January 12, 2019 4:01 AM EST

Dragonborn2021 said: Damn the puzzles really threw me off...the only one I can think of is Divinity: Original Sin but I don't know for sure how puzzley it is later on. Otherwise it fits for the most part...hmm I'll keep thinking of others (or I'll just browse through my Steam games)
    Take your time mate and thanks for the help!

• 627 posts
    January 12, 2019 5:58 AM EST

Dragonborn2021 said: Damn the puzzles really threw me off...the only one I can think of is Divinity: Original Sin but I don't know for sure how puzzley it is later on. Otherwise it fits for the most part...hmm I'll keep thinking of others (or I'll just browse through my Steam games)

It has some puzzles later on. Plus you can sort of consider the quests puzzles since you have to work out a lot for yourself, sort of like how in Morrowind you could gather info from various sources which would allow you to piece things in a quest together.

Edit: Also did you mean the first game or the second game? Because I was talking about the second.

This post was edited by Golden Fool at January 12, 2019 5:59 AM EST
    • 277 posts
    January 12, 2019 6:14 AM EST

Golden Fool said:

It has some puzzles later on. Plus you can sort of consider the quests puzzles since you have to work out a lot for yourself, sort of like how in Morrowind you could gather info from various sources which would allow you to piece things in a quest together.

Edit: Also did you mean the first game or the second game? Because I was talking about the second.

That quests piecing sounds great and I will be putting these games on my to play list. But my main focus right now is finding a game that requires me to solve dungeon puzzles just like in the old Prince of Persia Sands of Time trilogy or the tombs in the rebooted Tomb Raider.

• 275 posts
    January 12, 2019 1:54 PM EST

From most recommended to least:

Mass Effect Trilogy (go through the trilogy chronologically, because you won't get the full experience otherwise)

Witcher Series (not just Witcher 3, all are amazing)

Dragon Age (preferrably Origins, but others are ok)

Divinity: Original Sin (1 and 2)

Detriot: Become Human (very odd for an RPG, but one of the best I've ever played)

Dragon's Dogma

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning

Bound By Flame (very underrated, imo)

Risen 3 (haven't played the others, but 3 was great)

All amazing games and I recommend even the ones at the bottom.

If you're looking for puzzles, Risen has the most, followed by Detroit (during the Connor sections), then Divinity and Witcher. I like Shadow Of The Colossus as a puzzle game, but it's not an RPG.

This post was edited by Ebonslayer at January 12, 2019 1:57 PM EST
    • 1441 posts
    January 12, 2019 3:01 PM EST

Noodles said:

I'm looking for a game that covers all of the following:

• single player RPG (I'd prefer it to be one in which you get to choose your race/gender/appearance/class but I'm ok with playing an estabilished character too)
    • dungeon delving involving the need to solve lots of puzzles
    • ranging from Indie to AAA (I don't care as long as it's not a cheap knock off of something else)
    • difficulty: not hardcore (I only play for fun as a hobby)
    • not requiring grinding and not containing micro transactions (just to clarify, I don't consider visiting all the extra vistas in witcher 3 a form of grinding)
    • platform: PC (though I tend to chill by gaming with an xbox one controller)

And I would very much appreciate if the game is based on medieval fantasy but I'm open to anything.

Hmm, I'd say Persona, but that's pretty much Playstation exclusive. You COULD emulate the PS2 games. Persona 3 and  4 are pretty good, they have puzzles, but nothing insanely complex

• 62 posts
    January 12, 2019 4:56 PM EST
    Dragon's Dogma.

It's a medieval fantasy with a very detailed character creation menu...to the point of even affecting gameplay (big characters carry more, small characters can access secret passages, females over-excite ogres but males aren't welcome in the female bandit camp. Things like that). It has an interesting overworld and plenty to explore, but also tons of dungeons. There's puzzles involved but they aren't particularly complex or challenging.

What makes up for that is how intricate and puzzle-like combat itself is. Enemies have weaknesses/resistances to figure out, you can climb them or knock them down to reach weak points, different grabs/moves require the right counter, tails/horns and such can be knocked off to lower an enemies defense and their stagger/knockdown resistance is affected by the animation they're currently performing. So there's a lot of strategy to figure out.

It also has an interesting but unobtrusive story that leaves lots of room for roleplaying and a very unique class system that lends itself very well to character building. It's not hard, but it is de-leveled and there are a lot of enemies you just aren't supposed to be able to beat until later. It's Capcom but underrated, it's on PC but designed for controller, there's no micro transactions and the DLC stuff is included in the re-send release. Weapon upgrades can be a little grindy, but you can also just pay for a few "forgeries" of the upgrade materials.
    This post was edited by Tysoyaha at January 12, 2019 4:57 PM EST
    • 277 posts
    January 12, 2019 5:25 PM EST

Risen 3 looks amazing! And I'll give Dragon's Dogma a try too. I was planning on starting Amalur once I finish with Dragon Age: Inquisition but I think I've changed my mind. Thanks for all the recommendations guys! And keep them coming if you think of something else.

• 62 posts
    January 12, 2019 5:48 PM EST
    Amular is a great game, but doesn't really fit much of what you're looking for right now. I'm working on some builds/combos for it though so maybe those will be up by the time you get around to it.

In the mean time, if you do get into DD, check out Nihil0.0 on YouTube. He's got a lot of interesting videos on the different mechanics of the game.
    • 167 posts
    January 14, 2019 12:02 PM EST

I highly recommend Styx: Master of Shadows it was a nice change of pace for me back when I first played this one.

Also I can vouch for Dragon's Dogma, Divinity Original Sin and Dragon Age/Witcher series. Another one I played recently and had a lot of fun with was Kingdom Come: Deliverance it has heavy rpg elements but it might not fill some of the criteria in your list it is worth a shot nonetheless for its rpg experience. Also not sure if you are into this type of gameplay but Pathfinder is also a cool game ot get into but again it's battle playstyle is different.

• 409 posts
    January 14, 2019 12:22 PM EST

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is one of the greatest RPGs I have ever played. Make sure to download the unofficial mod and you're good to go. It is one of the most atmospheric game words I've ever inhabited and the writing is superb. 

• 167 posts
    January 14, 2019 12:39 PM EST

Oh yes I 've also heard good things about Vampire and it's a game I wanted to check for quite some time but never got around to it.

• 409 posts
    January 14, 2019 1:55 PM EST

Pick it up on sale, that's what I did. Definately a game you should check out. If you like RPGs, you'll be in love.