Forums » The Lounge

Fallout: The Board Game

• 773 posts
    January 7, 2019 2:55 PM EST

So I got a copy of the Fallout Board Game for Christmas, and I've been playing it quite a bit over the past couple of weeks.

It can be played by up to 4 people, although I am playing the solo variant as - well, I don't have anyone here who wants to play with me lol. 

I play quite a few board games, so I'm familiar with the genre - in this case an exploration / adventure game which draws surprisingly heavily on the Fallout lore. Combat is resolved by VATS dice, there is a SPECIAL board for each player, with traits and perks when you level up or discover in-game items

There are a number of scenarios to play, each of which is within a semi-randomly generated landscape (with certain key locations such as Diamond, CIT, South Boston, being fixed). There's a main storyline for each scenario, which is played out with a conflict between two in-game factions (in the first scenario you can side with the Railroad or the Institute, and the quests plays out differently for each. There's also a huge deck of sidequests, which you can start in settlements or by meeting people as you explore. Each has a genuine 'choice and consequence' element to them.

You can play as any of five characters - left to right above, are The Wastelander, The Vault Dweller, the Ghoul, the Super Mutant and the Brotherhood Outcast. You can also pick up companions like Piper, Hancock, McCready etc.

As I say, whilst the mechanics of the game aren't all that revolutionary in board game terms, thegame is dripping with theme and lore - I find myself to be be really engaged with it when I sit down to play. I'm lucky enough to have a permanent gaming table, so I just leave it set up so I can play whenever I have the time or inclination.

Don't know if anyone has played it, or is interested in this, but I thought I'd share. Any questions, give me a shout..

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 7, 2019 4:06 PM EST

Sweet! It's been soo long since I last played a board game - mostly because I too don't have anyone to play it with, so I just don't bother to go out looking for them. This game looks really nice, and I like that it seems deep, both in gameplay and lore. Do the companions have miniatures as well? And does the Brotherhood of Steel feature in the game in some way?

• 627 posts
    January 7, 2019 5:57 PM EST

I also have this game, although I've only played it once due to a lack of people to play it with. I've been trying to get some people together to play another game but it's been over a month now and still nothing.

Mr. Edd said:

Do the companions have miniatures as well? And does the Brotherhood of Steel feature in the game in some way?

No, the companions do not have miniatures. And yes the Brotherhood are one of the two factions in one scenario.

• 248 posts
    January 21, 2019 3:12 PM EST

I didn't know about this game. cool. sounds like we are all on our own for stuff like this...if only there were an online fallout game where you could play with your friends anywhere in the world  :)