Forums » The Lounge

Favorite Documentary

• 558 posts
    November 17, 2018 3:31 PM EST

I'm starting to get into documentaries, and I am curious what the Vault likes. So far, my favorite documentary is Lessons of Darkness (dir. by Werner Herzog). It's on US Netflix right now, and it's only about 50 minutes long.

So what is your favorite documentary?

• 70 posts
    November 17, 2018 6:50 PM EST
    I dont know if you consider documentarys made by youtubers as actual documentary, but i havent watched an actual documentary in years. One of the best ones i've seen lately is:
    How Subnautica Uses TERROR
    By Adam Millard - The Architect of Games

Nothings better than watching a documentary while drinking sone tea :D
    • 197 posts
    November 18, 2018 1:35 AM EST
    I’ve never seen either of those. My faves aren’t quite so artsy; they’re sort of guilty pleasures. Like admitting I still listen to REO Speedwagon, and Boston. Which I do. Also, the occasional America. So, I really love that old History Channel documentary series called Barbarians, the one they did before the channel became a running meme. It was so much fun. Maybe more a docudrama? Anyway, I love it.
    • 1441 posts
    November 18, 2018 3:08 AM EST
    Barbarians Rising was a great series
    • 321 posts
    November 18, 2018 3:15 AM EST

Do lore documentaries count? Because I watch a lot of FudgeMuppet's videos for Elder Scrolls lore; OtakuDaiKun for Fate lore, and VaatiVidya for SoulsBorne lore. 

This post was edited by A-Pocky-Hah! at November 18, 2018 3:17 AM EST
    • 558 posts
    November 19, 2018 1:06 AM EST
    YouTube doumentaries can count as a type of documentary. Why not.

That Barbarians/Barbarians Rising looks pretty cool. The docudrama description is intriguing.

Feel like I should mention that there's this docuhorror film from 1922 Sweden (high quality upload on YouTube) that's worth watching called Häxan. It arguably has the best aged horror from the 20s and I actually felt like I learned something after watching despite being over 90 years old.
    This post was edited by Gollum at November 19, 2018 1:23 AM EST
    • 558 posts
    November 19, 2018 1:08 AM EST
    Too bad I don't have Hulu to stream Barbarians Rising. Can't find the original show at all.
    This post was edited by Gollum at November 19, 2018 1:23 AM EST
    • 1467 posts
    November 19, 2018 1:39 AM EST

Feel like I should mention that there's this docuhorror film from 1922 Sweden (high quality upload on YouTube) that's worth watching called Häxan. It arguably has the best aged horror from the 20s and I actually felt like I learned something after watching despite being over 90 years old. 

I have no idea why but when I read this I thought for a second that you were saying you were 90 years old. Very confusing for me.

As for my favourites...hmm I have a couple of legitimate entries and a couple docudramas (or something in the middle at least) and then there's a few nolstaglia trips that I absolutely love. Personally a lot of my favourites tend to be History Documenteries with a focus on Medieval/Ancient History since those are my areas of study and I had to watch a shit tonne of them through school (and even now). Been awhile since I've watched anything really so don't quote me on anything I say.

Medici - Godfathers of the Renaissance was a really fascinating series that we watched as part of my Medieval History course a few years ago, and it's stuck with me as one of the few that I actually enjoyed watching. It's been awhile so I don't recall how accurate it was, but it was still quite fascinating and well produced. It's got that vibe of being half narrated/half acted if I recall and I quite like that style of documentary (where appropriate). 

There are a bunch of other History documentaries that I could list as utterly hilariously trash, for some reason Medieval History tends to attract people that have an...interesting idea on what editing means so you have weird music, awkward transitions, and most importantly...terrible narrators. 

• 585 posts
    November 19, 2018 11:18 AM EST

I'm quite partial to Asif Kapadia's work, especially Amy - about Amy Winehouse. Louis Theroux has some interesting ones, I liked the Scientology and Westborough Baptist Church ones the best. Also for UK Vaulters there's Reggie Yates BBC doucmentaries that I really loved, he has a three part series on each area.

• 558 posts
    November 19, 2018 3:48 PM EST

Dragonborn2021 said:

I have no idea why but when I read this I thought for a second that you were saying you were 90 years old. Very confusing for me.

As for my favourites...hmm I have a couple of legitimate entries and a couple docudramas (or something in the middle at least) and then there's a few nolstaglia trips that I absolutely love. Personally a lot of my favourites tend to be History Documenteries with a focus on Medieval/Ancient History since those are my areas of study and I had to watch a shit tonne of them through school (and even now). Been awhile since I've watched anything really so don't quote me on anything I say.

Medici - Godfathers of the Renaissance was a really fascinating series that we watched as part of my Medieval History course a few years ago, and it's stuck with me as one of the few that I actually enjoyed watching. It's been awhile so I don't recall how accurate it was, but it was still quite fascinating and well produced. It's got that vibe of being half narrated/half acted if I recall and I quite like that style of documentary (where appropriate). 

There are a bunch of other History documentaries that I could list as utterly hilariously trash, for some reason Medieval History tends to attract people that have an...interesting idea on what editing means so you have weird music, awkward transitions, and most importantly...terrible narrators. 

I probably shoulda put an "it" after "over" and before "90"

That Medici doc looks legit.

• 558 posts
    November 19, 2018 3:50 PM EST

Westborough Baptist actually came to my school to protest once. I didn't see them (big high school), so I never really knew what they were protesting.

• 1441 posts
    November 19, 2018 5:09 PM EST

You can actually watch Barbarians Rising on YouTube

• 558 posts
    November 19, 2018 7:45 PM EST

Sweet.

• 743 posts
    November 21, 2018 1:05 PM EST
    "People Are Strange - The Doors" is my favorite documentary so far. Bonus that it's narrated by Johnny Depp. Still on Netflix as far as I know.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 21, 2018 1:31 PM EST

As has been mentioned, I loved the old History Channel. Watched the duck out of them when I was a kid (aye, I was a cool kid). I'm not a fan of most of those dramatic documentaries that try to make a point or shit like that, I always find them... presumptuous.

So my favorite "documentary" of all time has to be old TIME COMMANDERS. I remember watching it as a kid and thinking "wow this is so cool I'd love if it was a game or something I could play with!". I only found out that it was a game almost a decade later, maybe more. So in a way, I've been a fan of Total War for most of my life, only I didn't know about it for a good chunk of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGGmA8KLsmM&index=32&list=PL05012F0E0C42D0B5

I'm also a fan of documentaries about nature, the wild, small towns and villages... The "idyllic" ones, that just show the world.

This post was edited by Mr. at November 21, 2018 1:32 PM EST