Forums » Elder Scrolls

Which NPC Are You Most Like?

• 197 posts
    October 19, 2018 7:30 PM EDT

Forgive me if this has been done before. I was sure it had to have done, but I looked through 10 pages of discussions and can’t find another one. 

So, which NPC are you most like? And I’m not talking about stuff like “If I lived in Tamriel, I’d be a cleric,” or “I’d be a mage,” or my favorite - “I’d be dead.” Which, naturally. 

What I want to know is, are there any NPCs in TES games that you find uncannily like yourself? 

I’ll go first: 

I’m basically Saffir, Amren’s wife and Braith’s mom, in Whiterun. She’s a warrior’s wife and mom to a sassy kid, for one. For another, she’s grumpy all the time, and pretty much just wants to go home and read. Honestly, why real life has to get in between me and my books, I have no idea. 

• 1467 posts
    October 19, 2018 8:22 PM EDT

I'm either a bit of an Alvor or a bit of a Tolfdir/Colette :P

The Alvor bit's pretty basic, just fit his personality quite well. But with Tolfdir/Colette it's more about how easy it is to get me going on a rant about my favourite subjects :P Part of wanting to be a teacher I suppose, but I'm just about one of those History Teachers who you can get going off-topic for 20 minutes just because you poke them about a subject that they enjoy, so you get 20 minutes of history on some rock or small town or something :P

That and just the oter day I had a fifteen minute conversations about how History is one of the most important subjects so, definitely a bit of Colette in there :P

• 393 posts
    October 19, 2018 8:24 PM EDT

I'm apparently Nenya, the steward of Jarl Siddgeir of Falkreath. I am a bookkeeper and often happen to deal with all sorts of mundane things in the absence of my boss))) And the boss doesn't like it when I try to tell her about some problem, just like Siddgeir.

This post was edited by Justiciar Thorien at October 19, 2018 8:26 PM EDT
    • 197 posts
    October 20, 2018 1:07 AM EDT

@DB: history!!! Yay. I was a history teacher for a couple of years, and it was fun. I taught 12-14 year olds, and that age group is just sort of figuring out that the world didn’t begin at their birth, and no, their parents aren’t really, really old, comparatively speaking. So being part of that discovery and making history important and meaningful to them is great. You know, showing how it relates to music they listen to or movies they watch. It’s cool. 

@Thorien: I don’t think I’ve ever spoken with Nenya. That’s not because of her, it’s honestly because Siddgeir is such a loser, and I don’t see any reason to speak to him! And I find it funny you identify with a character called “Nenya” after talking in one of the other discussions about being snotty and reserved, or something to that effect, to keep people from bothering you. Nenya sounds like you’re starting to say “none of your business” really fast. 

• 321 posts
    October 20, 2018 2:11 AM EDT
    I think I would be Nelacar. He stays indoors, lives in someone's house, and does his own thing without no one bothering him. Perfectly relatable, except for the whole Azura's Star thing.
    @ilanisilver I always dreamed of being a history teacher even though I'm currently taking a professional accountancy course. Something about teaching kids about Ancient Mesopotamia before telling them that Gilgamesh was blonde-haired dude wearing golden armor and calls people below him 'mongrels' strikes me as amusing.
    • 393 posts
    October 20, 2018 5:30 AM EDT

ilanisilver said:

@DB: history!!! Yay. I was a history teacher for a couple of years, and it was fun. I taught 12-14 year olds, and that age group is just sort of figuring out that the world didn’t begin at their birth, and no, their parents aren’t really, really old, comparatively speaking. So being part of that discovery and making history important and meaningful to them is great. You know, showing how it relates to music they listen to or movies they watch. It’s cool.

I remember myself at 12 years old. Indeed, I did't care much aboout history, tbh I'm not a big fan of it even now because it's always conveyed in such a way that makes me fall asleep really fast. Only one of the history teachers (and I've seen quite a few) knew how to make it interesting. But I've never thought my parents  or any other adult people "really old". Really old for me was like 80, a grandma who remembers WWII. I liked to talk to adults because they could talk about things like psychology and all sorts of real life problems. Back then though, I didn't know that you can talk to afults about games and books too. The adults I knew only read magazins and newspapers and watched TV shows. And how exactly music of all things is related to the actual life? I never could and still don't understand it, I mean, it's just music, you just listen to it and that's all. Probably domething was terribly wrong with me even back then, lol.

ilanisilver said:

@Thorien: I don’t think I’ve ever spoken with Nenya. That’s not because of her, it’s honestly because Siddgeir is such a loser, and I don’t see any reason to speak to him! And I find it funny you identify with a character called “Nenya” after talking in one of the other discussions about being snotty and reserved, or something to that effect, to keep people from bothering you. Nenya sounds like you’re starting to say “none of your business” really fast. 

Lol, that's just hilarious. People very often yell at me and complain because of something my boss did or said, or demand answers to questions they asked her, as if I'm just her avatar or something. Nenya is actually a very gentle and polite Altmer, not someone who would say "none of your business" lol. I always try to be gentle too, even with people who are yelling and cursing. Well, unless they walk over and stand behind my back trying to read stuff off my laptop. That's when I turn off the gentle and go into the full Justiciar mode))))

This post was edited by Justiciar Thorien at October 20, 2018 8:46 AM EDT
    • 167 posts
    October 20, 2018 8:40 AM EDT

I think I 'd be Neloth if you take out some of his hobbies like --> I 'll quote UESP "He also enjoyed kidnapping the daughters of Redoran Councilors, an interest he shared with another prominent Telvanni, Divayth Fyr."

I pick him mostly for two reasons. Because I am everyday in my own machinations doing my thing (research) and I will almost always be kinda irritated when interrupted. Second is because of his outlook on situations he has while we see him in Skyrim's Dragonborn dlc. We see him in the beginning to observe everything from a 3rd person perspective with interest which is something I always do or in some cases try to do and only later on he engages more actively because it is related to his research. Oh and last but not least the third reason is that I like tea (haven't tried any canis root tea though :/ ) and other similar types of beverages.

Gotta say this took me some time to think, couldn't find any NPC to relate with myself.

• 197 posts
    October 20, 2018 3:14 PM EDT

@Pocky: sounds like a dream to me. And yes, there's so much entertaining stuff out there. All the great civilizations who thought they were invincible, eventually crumbling to dust. Students of history should never be lacking in humility, lol. 

@Thorien: that's one of the advantages of today, that things are so much more open and available. I look at pics of my mom and dad when they were 43, and remember what they were like, and yeah, it was sitting in their chairs and reading newspapers. Their styles were the same as they were in the 70s, and it was like they were just...stuck. Not so with my generation, and there's good and bad to that, just like everything, I guess. And oh, music can be used to teach so many things. I also taught science for a few years, and there was a song called "Catalyst" that I used in chemistry, to illustrate the function of a catalyst. Part of the song went "it's all downhill from here," which is basically what a catalyst does. At least from an eighth-grader's perspective. But there's so much music about historical events. Zombie by the Cranberries, Pride by U2. Arcade Fire has a song about Joan of Arc. There's just so much out there. Obsessive love has done much to shape the world, and so much of music is about that, too. It's fun to listen to yeah, but I love imagining what inspired the song in the first place. 

My husband and I finished watching "The Haunting of Hill House" last night, and the song that came on with the ending scene was so powerful, it did a lot to shape the rest of the series, from the first episode to the last. I spent a while going through the lyrics and reading what the artists said about why they wrote it and how it came about. I can't make music, write it. I don't have the talent. So a lot of me listening to music is that thirst - unquenched it will always be - to create something as beautiful as that song. Or the one I cited as inspiration for my Skyrim folktale. Or Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah." What's beautiful and haunting music for us is real life for the composer, I guess. 

@Duvain: I'm glad you noted that hobby and made that exception. :)

• 393 posts
    October 20, 2018 4:03 PM EDT

I guess I'm more of an image person than music person. For instance I cannot read or write while listening to music like many people do. I usually listen to as I walk in the street or in the subway. It serves as a good shield between me and the world. Yes, some songs have a very deep meaning and moving lyrics. But how one can be obsessed with some singer or band, or judge people by the kind of music they listen to, or how music can define a person's identity... well, it's just beyond me.

I don't think all the adult people of the 90s or earlier were reading newspapers. For instance my grandmother was as much of a bookworm as myself, always was reading a book. I actually knew quite a few people who read books. Idk, the most frequent line I heard from adults as a kid was "why are you sitting here? go play with other kids!" Apparently something was (is?) very wrong with me, because I had absolutely nothing to talk to other kids about, lol. I don't even know what they liked back then.

• 197 posts
    October 20, 2018 4:14 PM EDT
    I can’t listen to music while writing either. Or reading, or anything I have to focus on. Inevitably, my focus shifts away from what I’m doing and toward the music. Even driving, sometimes, is difficult if the song is too engrossing. I remember once, a few years ago, driving while listening to a song by a band called Dawes. I think the song is called “All Your Favorite Bands,” and it’s just one of those sad, sad songs. About the passage of time and friends drifting away, and looking back on things and feeling like they’re right there, so close you can touch them, but in reality, they might as well be eons away. Anyway, I started hearing horns honking at me, and looked down to see I was going 45 in a 65. Not cool, lol. Also, I was crying. So, yeah.

But about the identity, I’m with you there. Not that people are wrong for being super fans, but I don’t get it. My sister is pretty obsessed with Taylor Swift. Like, she has a Christmas tree decorated with Taylor ornaments. Literally every time I see her, she’s wearing a Taylor shirt. She goes to several of her concerts during each tour. It’s just...beyond me. And my sister will tell me that it’s because music is more meaningful and profound to her than it is to me. Maybe? I can’t judge how much she loves music, but it sure does piss me off when she tries to judge what’s important to me. I’m willing to agree to disagree and just admit that I really do not get it. And it’s fine. If it makes her happy, it’s fine.

Lol, I used to wonder about that, too, why adults told kids to go play. And now that I have kids, I totally get it. Go, go play!!!!
    • 393 posts
    October 20, 2018 4:48 PM EDT

Oh. I'm not that sensitive. The last time I cried was years ago. Not because of a song, at all.

Yes, that kind of thing I don't understand. I like various music but often don't know who is the singer. I just enjoy the music.

I can understand why people tell kids to go play. But I wasn't that kind of kid. I was the creepy silent kid, lol.

• 295 posts
    October 20, 2018 5:00 PM EDT

Ah damn, I'm three people.

My personality is definitely somewhere between Urag gro-Shub and Inge Six Fingers because I'm both a scholar and I am definitely a crusty teacher who makes my students work very hard. At the same time, I sing too, so probably, lol, with some of Lisette the Bard thrown in for good measure, but I wouldn't live in the Bard's college. Totally college of Winterhold for me, so mostly Urag. :D

• 197 posts
    October 21, 2018 2:30 PM EDT
    Crusty teachers, lol. Urag is so much fun. I love his random conversations with Collette. I would live it up at the Bard’s College, playing pranks on that one really snotty bard who thinks she’s better than everyone else.
    • 1595 posts
    October 22, 2018 3:47 AM EDT

Been giving this serious thought but it's like the impossible question for an overthinker. I'm genuinely shit at these sorts of things, just as I am with "what's your favourite..." discussions. I mean, I only very recently narrowed down Khajiit as being in my top ten favourite playable races.

Anyway. Possibly Calixto. Maybe minus the sick af murder and dark arts bit. Alright, maybe not Calixto. I'll think on it some more.

• 1 posts
    October 28, 2018 6:41 PM EDT

If there is one character that acts like me its gotta be Falion.

Im the kinda guy who like to do my own thing and often people think that im doing some shady things even tho im not, its just like Falion in morthal people want him out of town because they are scared of him and his practice of magic.

I was gonna say Neloth but .... im not rich and important soooooooo :)

• 2 posts
    October 29, 2018 5:04 AM EDT

I'm Vilkas without a doubt. He's got a dark and gloomy air about him. Depressed even. He's extremely quick to irritate, confident, acts older than he is under most circumstances, and a powerhouse in a brawl. I cant think of a more accurate embodiment of me in any game I've ever played. I think a very close 2nd/3rd/and 4th would be Ralof/Galmar Stonefist/and Ulfric Stormcloak.

My most favorite memory of Vilkas is when he goes with the player to Driftshade Refuge to slaughter the Silver Hand. I always transform into a werewolf, and just go absolutely bonkers. :P

Why pick that memory, I hear you ask? Because as you return from the Glenmoril Coven, you can feel the anger, the grief, and slowly building rage in his voice as you enter Jorrvaskr and I suppose I see that anger in myself and I can relate to it. Besides that, I feel like the events at Driftshade are the culmination of ascending to becoming the Companions leader. Especially if you go hog wild, like me :P

I also just love slaughtering Silver Hand as a werewolf..... it feels sooooo cathartic..... ^_^

• 197 posts
    October 29, 2018 10:53 AM EDT

@Paws...hilarious. I could see you giving this serious thought and introspection and coming up with...Calixto. Of course, I could also see you saying your NPC doppelgänger from Oblivion is that Fimmion guy from the Shivering Isles who trades his pants for a sweetroll, just to mess with us all. :)

@mossab: oooh, Falion. Good choice. I haven’t interacted with Falion much other than to follow him to that swamp and ask him what he’s doing. I think I chose the wrong dialogue, because he didn’t tell me anything, just kept yelling at me to go away. 

@KopisGaming: good choice. Vilkas is 75% of the time my follower in all my games. I switch back and forth between him, Farkas, and Stenvar. Sometimes Argis, but yeah, I keep going back to Vilkas more than the rest. He IS a bit of a gloomy ass, but he’s such a great follower, I can forgive it. When he’s my follower and I get knocked down or paralyzed, he stands over me until I get back up. None of my other followers do that. 

• 1595 posts
    November 23, 2018 6:39 PM EST
    I've been dwelling on this. I was pretty certain I'd be Einarth. I mean, he's getting on a bit but keeps himself in good shape. He's fairy quiet, then does a bit of shouting before going quiet again. He likes berries, mead, and a good book. But then I thought maybe not Einarth because of that horker tusk he carries. Each to their own but that isn't my scene. There's no running water at High Hrothgar so that thing isn't hygienic, either. So yeah, I decided not Einarth. I'll give it some more thought.
    • 29 posts
    April 28, 2020 4:23 AM EDT
    Honestly, they're all pretty one dimensional. If I had to choose, I would say Frodnar, but only because he is mischievous and the idea of dressing a dog like a frostbite spider to prank the people of Riverwood is something I would do.
    • 33 posts
    April 28, 2020 5:24 PM EDT
    I would say I am just like M’aiq, I constantly spew nonsensical things that no one cares about. Also, I am like him because I am smart, and annoying, in my own special way. I also sometimes foreshadow future events. He also does his own this, doesn’t care what anyone thinks about him and he absolutely loves walking.
    This post was edited by Hasir at April 28, 2020 5:26 PM EDT