Forums » General Gaming

Have you ever had a period when you never play games?

• 773 posts
    October 16, 2018 8:21 AM EDT

I just realised last night that I haven't played any games for ages!

I seemed to get burned out on Fallout in August and, what with being busy with other stuff, I didn't play anything else. Then I was on holiday for two weeks. I assumed that I'd get back into gaming once the holiday was over, but I just never have! Time has slipped by and, here we are in the middle of October and - apart from watching a couple of DVDs - I haven't even turned on my XBoxOne for TWO MONTHS!

Now this is unheard of for me - as I have been playing games in one form or another since the early 80s (the days of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum, in fact!). But I really find myself not even missing it. I'm done with Skyrim I think, burned out on Fallout. ESO - well, since switching over to XB, it just seems a load of hassle to start over with new characters again. Nothing else is catching my eye - I don't think I'll be buying Fallout 76 at launch, as I expect it to be something of a train wreck at least for a while. I'm somewhat interested in Red Dead Redemption, so maybe that.... who knows?

But, right now, I honestly don't know when, or if, I'll play games again. There's no point in 'making' myself play, it has to be fun surely? I'm pretty determined not to play just for the sake of it, but only when I'm 'feeling it'.

So my question is this: Have you ever had a period of time when you just didn't play? How long did it last? And what happened to change things back so that you were pumped to play games again?

• 393 posts
    October 16, 2018 9:05 AM EDT

I have such periods quite often. There are times when work strangles all the energy out of me and instead of turning on my PC and playing games I spend an evening in bed with my tablet. In fact, I usually play on weekends. Sometimes I'm simply not in the mood for games and read a book or watch some video. Sometimes I write instead of playing. It's normal))

• 7 posts
    October 16, 2018 9:10 AM EDT

During project season.

• 321 posts
    October 16, 2018 9:18 AM EDT
    During the weekdays when I have classes. Even if I do play, it's only for about an hour or so, unless there's some motivation to keep me playing like a limited event or something like that.
    • 585 posts
    October 16, 2018 2:49 PM EDT

Same man, same. Don't think I've played a game in a year now? Maybe a bit less, one day I decided that I needed to prioritise other stuff, so I turned off my Xbox and never turned it on again, right I was about to have the big battle at the end of the Witcher 3. It's weird, and I do miss it, but I'm going through a busy period right now so I can't afford the countless hours I'd whisk away playing.

• 224 posts
    October 16, 2018 6:54 PM EDT

The question is for females isn't?

• 197 posts
    October 16, 2018 7:21 PM EDT
    Medieval said:

...no. It’s not just for women. It’s asking if there are ever long stretches of time when you’re just not in the mood to play video games.
    • 224 posts
    October 16, 2018 7:59 PM EDT

ilanisilver said:
    Medieval said:

...no. It’s not just for women. It’s asking if there are ever long stretches of time when you’re just not in the mood to play video games.

I see, I know was joking :P

• 224 posts
    October 16, 2018 8:03 PM EDT

Well to answer question to Mr. Paul, I have had some times not playing video games, when I went to some journey (vacations), or when I'm too busy, but I think I haven't had a whole year without playing some game on my life since I was 6 years old, I think that might be normal I guess. I hope the joke didn't offend Mr. Paul, regards.

• 122 posts
    October 16, 2018 8:20 PM EDT

I'll go for long stretches where I get preoccupied with something else. I'll snap back into it when my interest catches, but honestly as long as you're mentally healthy, physically healthy, engaged in your life, and happy then it's fine to set down the controller. I stepped away from Skyrim for nearly a year before one of Noodles's builds got me back into it, and then it was Ordinator and mods that kept me there.

• 197 posts
    October 16, 2018 8:32 PM EDT

Medieval said:

ilanisilver said:
    Medieval said:

I see, I know was joking :P

Ah, clever. 

• 321 posts
    October 16, 2018 9:10 PM EDT
    I admit I kinda laugh when I first read it. Glad to see you have a sense of humor, Medieval.
    • 558 posts
    October 17, 2018 9:53 PM EDT

I haven't played games since this Summer. I've replaced gaming with movie-watching. Sometimes 3 movies a day (not during the school year, though!). Sometimes I feel like playing Skyrim, and I haven't played that in about 3 years now.

Elder Scrolls 6 will get me to start playing again, though, I'm sure.

• 44 posts
    October 18, 2018 3:16 AM EDT

Sometimes, when I have to go parents for dog-sitting for couple of days. In other times it's me writing mostly than gaming. I think I have had times when it was a week or two without gaming anything, but I always come back to it.

• 1467 posts
    October 21, 2018 12:23 AM EDT
    Ah, so is that like when you stop breathing for a few seconds? Ill admit that I probably should've stopped at a few points, but for me its my number one form of relaxation so as long as I've got a game to play, I'll probably at least put in an hour a day. So, honestly I can't recall a time when I've gone more than a fee days without gaming (and even then I pick up a mobile game or two to play with so I've got something wherever I go.)
    • 1467 posts
    October 21, 2018 12:23 AM EDT
    Ah, so is that like when you stop breathing for a few seconds? Ill admit that I probably should've stopped at a few points, but for me its my number one form of relaxation so as long as I've got a game to play, I'll probably at least put in an hour a day. So, honestly I can't recall a time when I've gone more than a fee days without gaming (and even then I pick up a mobile game or two to play with so I've got something wherever I go.)