Forums » Elder Scrolls

Elder Scrolls:Blades - under the radar?

• 773 posts
    June 11, 2018 12:26 PM EDT

So, I took a little time to read / watch more about Elder Scrolls Blades. I think in amongst all the excitement about Fallout 76 / Elder Scrolls VI / Starfield, this has slipped under the radar. And I'm not sure it deserves to get neglected...

Note that it can be played not only on phones, but tablets, PC and - at some point - consoles. It's a single-player, first-person full Elder Scrolls games with quests, story, character progression and everything that we all want, no?

It's coming in 'the Fall' and its going to be FREE (albeit, there'll probably be micro-transactions)

What's not to like?

This post was edited by Paul at June 11, 2018 1:35 PM EDT
    • 295 posts
    June 11, 2018 1:31 PM EDT

I agree, Paul, and I just finished a similar conversation on this with Karver. I'm definitely getting it when it comes to ps4. I'm not getting it for mobile because my phone nor my eyes would be able to handle it. Sounds like a fun play. The Town mode has me particularly interested, as well as whatever morsels of lore the game could offer. 

• 411 posts
    June 11, 2018 2:11 PM EDT

I'm pretty excited for this. A true mobile TES game sounds pretty rad. Unless they go heavy on the micro transactions.

• 261 posts
    June 11, 2018 3:16 PM EDT
    Also, town building.
    • 77 posts
    June 11, 2018 3:46 PM EDT

Popping in to say I'm actually really interested in this, always wished that I could make Helgen great again after clearing out the bandits ;-)

I'm also with Lis, more lore is always good :-)

• 649 posts
    June 11, 2018 4:02 PM EDT

I have my reservations about this. 

A: Game for mobile (even though it's going to be on other platforms, still a mobile game)

B: It's for free

I sincerely doubt there's going to be a lot of Lore and I expect the quests to be sort of generic ones like - go fetch this, kill this, save that chick and so on. Maybe a "main story" similar to ES: Legends - which delivered a small bits of interesting Lore, but nothing really huge. 

Bethesda has done mobile TES games before, which were sold as "real full blown TES games" too, and out of them all it was actually only Shadowkey that as the only one delivered a proper story and lore with none of the other three (Travels: Oblivion, Dawnstar and Stormhold) being actually worthwhile enough to even talk about them, let alone the lore in them (basicaly none) 

So, in a modern age of mobile games, and three modes for TES: Blades such as blind dungeon crawling, PvP arena and town-building... I have plenty of reservation when they say "true Elder Scrolls experience". 

So, I do expect neglactable lore, generic quests and average storyline if any at all. But I always like to get surprised and maybe I really going to get surprised. We'll see. Just not going to give them the satisfaction of getting my hopes up. For a mobile game... Yup. 

• 1467 posts
    June 11, 2018 7:05 PM EDT

I don't get why anyone was trying to sell the Lore/Story to me on-site, gotta be real I've never seen a mobile game that had a decent story (except a few ports) but generally speaking I just don't think that's going to be a selling point. It's not a full single-player game, it's a mobile game set in the TES Universe.

That said, I'm obviously going to give it a shot because it could be awesome, but I'm waiting for the PS4 release.

• 77 posts
    June 12, 2018 12:57 AM EDT
    Okay I'll rephrase slightly ;-) snippets of new lore hidden even in the graphics would help keep me going.

I don't do mobile gaming normally but have been considering a Switch, as lunchtime Elder Scrolls could really give me something to relax with. This could give me a cheap test run to see if I can handle something other than a console controller.
    • 694 posts
    June 12, 2018 8:05 PM EDT

Meli said: Okay I'll rephrase slightly ;-) snippets of new lore hidden even in the graphics would help keep me going. I don't do mobile gaming normally but have been considering a Switch, as lunchtime Elder Scrolls could really give me something to relax with. This could give me a cheap test run to see if I can handle something other than a console controller.

"Lunch time Elder Scrolls" pretty accurately sums up my feelings as well. Something to kill the time in between two things, or an of downtime here or there seems like where Blades will fit for me. I thought Legends would do that for me last year, but I let it go after I finished the MQ. I did preregister fir Blades--they have some bonus promo on right now. I'll definitely give it a whirl. They seem to be hyping it pretty hard on social. It'll be interesting to see how it fairs. 

• 248 posts
    June 15, 2018 6:55 PM EDT

The Long-Chapper said:

I agree, Paul, and I just finished a similar conversation on this with Karver. I'm definitely getting it when it comes to ps4. I'm not getting it for mobile because my phone nor my eyes would be able to handle it. Sounds like a fun play. The Town mode has me particularly interested, as well as whatever morsels of lore the game could offer. 

I'm kind of with you on this. I did sign up for beta for my phone, but seriously doubt I'll do much with it until PS4. But I want an early look to see if it's worth it. 

• 1441 posts
    June 27, 2018 12:15 AM EDT

I'll check it out, do we have a release date?

• 62 posts
    June 27, 2018 10:06 AM EDT
    I just really hope it runs offline...
    • 1441 posts
    June 30, 2018 3:20 PM EDT

I wonder what the story will be?