Forums » General Gaming

Dragonborn's E3 Breakdown - Bethesda

• 33 posts
    June 11, 2018 5:21 AM EDT
    I was hoping ES IV was going to be in Black marsh or Elsweyr. We already have daggerfall which emcompasses high rock and hammerfell, if there is no es IV argonia or elsweyr, I will be really disappointed in visiting a location we already visited in ES II.
    This post was edited by Hasir at June 11, 2018 5:23 AM EDT
    • 773 posts
    June 11, 2018 7:49 AM EDT

William said: I was hoping ES IV was going to be in Black marsh or Elsweyr. We already have daggerfall which emcompasses high rock and hammerfell, if there is no es IV argonia or elsweyr, I will be really disappointed in visiting a location we already visited in ES II.

Frankly, Elder Scrolls II is almost irrelevant now for the current day development team. The way that they make games now - and, remember, it will be next-gen for ESVI, is so completely different now that I suspect they don't think that High Rock and Hammerfell have 'been done'.

That said, the teaser was simply that - a teaser. That could have been part of Valenwood quite easily, in fact I wouldn't put it past them to have deliberately shown that generic landscape to throw people off. Remember these are the guys who, with a straight face, told us last year that they would be developing and releasing two brand new IPs before they made anymore Elder Scrolls or Fallout

TL:DR... they don't always tell us the truth ;) 

• 295 posts
    June 11, 2018 8:47 AM EDT

Hmm, my thoughts on E3. Okay, that rock band was just so out of tune and stupid. I almost shut off the stream they were that bad. The Skyrim VERY special edition was funny as hell and part of me really wants Skyrim on my fridge. 

Doom, Prey, and such I'm not super interested in, but my fiance was all over it. 

Rage 2: I actually played a bit of the first one. The new one looks like Mad Max meets Nuka world. :D, lots of explosions. 

Fallout Shelter for Ps4: I will never complain about a free game for me. I'll give it a download. 

Elder scrolls Blades: Same deal. Eventually, I'll get another free game, which is great. I wasn't loving the phone combat because I'm bad at sweeping, I'll see how the combat is for console. I am also, as always interested in what lore this will bring to the series, so I'll definitely give this a try. 

Starfield: Not much to go on but sheeeet, space. I like the idea of a single player rpg in space. It's a cool idea.

Elder scrolls 6: Yes, I am hyped about this, but I know it's a good long while away still, so it's a restrained hype. I am lof a mind like Paul, that landscape could really be anything, so while Hammerfell/High Rock is a solid possibility, they well could be lying. 

Fallout 76: Okay I am just wanting to grab my shotgun and find a very West Virginian name and then go raise Halyull. This sounds like a ton of fun and from what I've seen the gameplay looks very similar to Fallout 4, so I won't totally suck with controls. The environment looks gorgeous and the beasties look really gross. An there be dragons! AND deathclaws. I will never leave my tent. :P Is scary. 

• 248 posts
    June 11, 2018 10:34 AM EDT

I'm not really deep into developer speak - when Todd said working on "next gen" titles and then teased Starfield and ES6 with no gameplay...are we to assume "next gen" means "we don't have the technology"? Are there any early reports from playstation/xbox etc on their next gen consoles for example?

Was really dissapointed not to get anything from Starfield other than confirmation. 

• 1467 posts
    June 11, 2018 10:37 AM EDT

So, some people think Starfield is a ways off and coming out whenever the next console comes out. Personally I think next-gen just means that that it's using a better engine than Fallout 4, I'm not sure on that, but basically it's the difference between 2021 being the absolute earliest release for Starfield and 2021 being the latest it could release. I'm not sure, but... it could be anywhere from 2019 - 2023 for Starfield and then as late as 2026 for TES: 6.

I think they'd be utterly stupid to try and promote a game four years in advance though, but there's nothing really concrete here.

• 1467 posts
    June 11, 2018 10:39 AM EDT

Frankly, Elder Scrolls II is almost irrelevant now for the current day development team. The way that they make games now - and, remember, it will be next-gen for ESVI, is so completely different now that I suspect they don't think that High Rock and Hammerfell have 'been done'.

That said, the teaser was simply that - a teaser. That could have been part of Valenwood quite easily, in fact I wouldn't put it past them to have deliberately shown that generic landscape to throw people off. Remember these are the guys who, with a straight face, told us last year that they would be developing and releasing two brand new IPs before they made anymore Elder Scrolls or Fallout

TL:DR... they don't always tell us the truth ;) 

Yeah, hate to say it but honestly I'd just call Morrowind TES: 1 at this point. They've retconned so much from Arena and Daggerfall over the years, and honestly...99% of the player base for Elder Scrolls hasn't played the original two, and aren't likely to. So I could see them making a game set in High Rock or Hammerfell rather easily, but Paul's also right here, could be fucking Skyrim somehow.

• 248 posts
    June 11, 2018 10:50 AM EDT

Lol ok people already speculating that ES6 is for sure high rock or hammerfell bc...jutting mountainous rocks near water...with ESO going so far as to say the crater looks like Azra's Crossing on the border of the two.

If that ends up being correct, kudos. But we're 3 years from this game. ugh. I will say - haivng two provinces featured would be pretty cool.

• 490 posts
    June 11, 2018 11:13 AM EDT

I think it would have to be High Rock or Hammerfell with a leaning towards High Rock. Unless they are putting mountains with a coast to deflect us, they would have shown sand or desert or something. I also think the music can be a hint, it felt very classic fantasy-ish that would go along with knightly orders rather than a desert adventure but that is a stretch I guess.

My true fear is that they take this 76 game and have some success with it and then decide that is a function that ES needs. I think that a multiplayer Fallout game can work and is pretty cool but I honestly don't want that in an ES game.

Too often do they say "we wanted to try..." as if to add something new just to add something new. Call me old fashioned but for ES I will always prefer a single player experience with much more depth than a co-op style game.

• 197 posts
    June 11, 2018 11:31 AM EDT
    That was my first thought with the music; it sounded like a royal fanfare. But yeah, they could be misleading us on purpose. My hope is that it’s High Rock or Hammerfell, though.
    • 33 posts
    June 11, 2018 12:09 PM EDT

I reaal would like to see black marsh, Akavir or Elsweyr. I say screw the other races' homelands. They should do an Elder Scrolls Origin game where they make it in Akavir when the tsaesci took over.

• 12 posts
    June 11, 2018 12:32 PM EDT
    High rock could be the last Outpost of the 3rd empire, and the home of the direnni tower, which along with lots of factions and orsinium in the mix could make it have huge implications. I hope it is there since that could be very interesting and entertaining. Plus Bretons are a powerful character building race.
    • 197 posts
    June 11, 2018 12:33 PM EDT

Mottyskills said:

So - Are the ES folks not interested in a mobile game? It just seems, idk...meh. Like another stop gap while they wait for "next gen" tech to make ES6....

I'm really not. My husband and a few of my friends play mobile games - Marvel Contest of Champions and a couple others - and they're really into them, and I've watched them play, and it just feels weird to me. I play ES games to feel immersed in that world, and I don't know. I just can't on my phone. 

• 490 posts
    June 11, 2018 12:36 PM EDT

Mottyskills said:

So - Are the ES folks not interested in a mobile game? It just seems, idk...meh. Like another stop gap while they wait for "next gen" tech to make ES6....

I am interested. I don't play a lot of mobile games but that is mostly due to not having any games that are fun or interesting. I play Legends for just being in the ES universe, card art, etc. Blades looks to be a game that will fill a good deal of time traveling etc.

• 295 posts
    June 11, 2018 12:47 PM EDT

ilanisilver said:

Mottyskills said:

I'm really not. My husband and a few of my friends play mobile games - Marvel Contest of Champions and a couple others - and they're really into them, and I've watched them play, and it just feels weird to me. I play ES games to feel immersed in that world, and I don't know. I just can't on my phone. 

It is said that it'll be release on other platforms. If I'm still running around with my ps4 when it comes out for ps4, then I'll play it. Sounds like it could be fun, not super deep, but I don't need everything to be super deep. 

• 585 posts
    June 11, 2018 1:31 PM EDT

I kinda think like showing mountains like in the trailer, and therefore ruling out a whole load of locations, could be misdirection. Maybe that's one of X locations you get to travel to in the game, but the main section is somewhere else completely. I don't know what the standard format is for teasing by game studios, but it does bare thinking about (mainly because I really want an Elsweyr or Black Marsh setting).

• 55 posts
    June 11, 2018 1:48 PM EDT
    FYI if anyone hasn’t posted this yet, Todd Howard is doing an interview at 12 pacific time today and I am sure we will get more info, especially on FO76. There will also be a “Making of Fallout 76” documentary thing posting to YouTube tomorrow, not sure what time.
    • 197 posts
    June 11, 2018 1:51 PM EDT

oh, nice. i don't like watching video, so i read random roundups of what they discussed, and no one said anything about consoles! but yes, this changes things. yeah, definitely, if it comes to xbox, i'll get it. 

This post was edited by ilanisilver at June 11, 2018 1:52 PM EDT
    • 411 posts
    June 11, 2018 2:02 PM EDT

TES 6 revealed and multiplayer Fallout? Ahh take me Todd!

• 277 posts
    June 11, 2018 3:05 PM EDT

I plan on taking a two week vacation from work when TES6 is coming out. Maybe one week for Starfield. Anyone else have such thoughts?

• 55 posts
    June 11, 2018 3:32 PM EDT
    Via Reddit:

Top News Stories

(06/11) Todd Howard Q&A with Geoff Keighley Highlights

You can not play Fallout 76 offline
    Even when playing 'solo' you will see other players
    There is a questline
    There are no NPCs, excluding robots. Quests can still be given by terminals, holotapes etc.
    PvP is still being tweaked. They don't want it to be "griefy" but want it to have drama
    You can "decide" to do PvP; being aggressive or ignoring it
    VATS exists but real-time, not slow-mo
    Fallout 76 will "evolve over time", taking feedback into account and interaction with fans
    "We love mods", "100% committed". Modding will be present but not at launch.
    "Private world" will be possible down the line"
    • 1467 posts
    June 11, 2018 7:03 PM EDT

So just wanted to talk about something involved with Starfield. Todd Howard's description of the production in his interview with this Geoff fella, makes me think that the game is seriously in production. He says, and I quote 'it's playable' at the moment, which doesn't mean much but they've been working on Starfield for around 5 years, so...yeah honestly I think we can look forward to a 2020 release at this point.

• 11 posts
    June 15, 2018 5:52 AM EDT

I wish "online" meant something similar to the Guild Wars 1 model. Instances of PvE restricted to 4-8 players/henchies.

• 1467 posts
    June 15, 2018 7:40 AM EDT

I plan on taking a two week vacation from work when TES6 is coming out. Maybe one week for Starfield. Anyone else have such thoughts?

Uhhh...wouldn't complain too much if I was between jobs at the time :P I know I'm going to be on break from Uni when F76 comes out which excites the shit out of me, so if something similar occurs for Starfield (gotta be honest, I'll be in a real job by TES:6) then absolutely I'll be gone :D

• 1467 posts
    June 15, 2018 7:42 AM EDT

I wish "online" meant something similar to the Guild Wars 1 model. Instances of PvE restricted to 4-8 players/henchies.

Haven't played Guild Wars but does that mean something similar to 4-8 player servers (roughly) or single player but with online play with 3-7 friends?