Forums » Suggestions

World Profiles

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 2, 2018 4:11 PM EDT

Know how we have Character Profiles and Faction Profiles?

I was thinking last night about profiles-stuff. And it occurred to me that it might be a good idea to start allowing or creating "world profiles" here on the Vault. You know, your own personal world where you play Fallout or Elder Scrolls in. It could be useful to writers from the Story Corner and to people who just want to share their worlds and characters without having to tell an entire story about it.

If you already have a profile for a certain faction or a certain character, you can link that on your World Profile together with a brief description. Talk about locations, events, kings and queens and generals and raiders and factions. I don't know. Build worlds (I'm sure many of you already have done that to some degree, even if only in your head?).

This could be a new way where members could dump their creativity into and maybe, here's hoping, attract some world-building crowd (even if it's a "Soft" World-Building, with "your" World being an adaptation or an interpretation of either Fallout or Elder Scrolls).

Just an idea. What do you think? Cheers.

This post was edited by Mr. at May 2, 2018 4:13 PM EDT
    • 33 posts
    May 2, 2018 5:38 PM EDT

By "world" do you mean a sort of self-lore that the player builds over many playthroughs? Because that would be fun.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 2, 2018 9:45 PM EDT

Sure. Your version of the events of "Skyrim", for example, your characters, the locations and main events that happened in your story. Stuff like that. Like profiles, it doesn't have to focus on the events of a game, but on the Fallout/Elder Scrolls world.

• 585 posts
    May 3, 2018 3:32 AM EDT

What group are you thinking this should belong to, Edd? Profiles are in the domain of the Roleplaying and Hub groups, but I also feel like it's more lore than RP if ya know what I mean. Lore doesn't allow personal lore, so maybe Forums? I'd be happy to have it in RP, but I think if this idea is gonna get anywhere some clear guidelines , like what group they'll live in, will need to be set.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 3, 2018 6:38 AM EDT

Yeah, if it was up to me, I think these World Profiles would be at home on the Roleplaying and the Hub, together with the other profiles.

• 295 posts
    May 3, 2018 8:35 AM EDT
    Well, I have already made a timeline for Nirnian events that pertain to my character in Straag as a blog. I had planned a character blog, where I give brief descriptions of each character. There are nearly 100. So in my particular case, the blogs may be a better place.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 3, 2018 10:56 AM EDT

I see. I'm not as up to date with the site as I used to be, so I didn't know about character blogs. You mean a blog post where you list all of your characters and give them brief descriptions? In that case, I'd bet that those characters have to be related to a story told in the Story Corner?

• 275 posts
    May 3, 2018 8:07 PM EDT

Oh, yes. This would be great. I have my own, gigantic headcanon for the Elder Scrolls games that completely change a lot of stuff and make certain events in later games nonexistent (Dragon Breaks in general), existent but giving them a better reason why they happened (Walks-In-Darkness's (my Skyrim character) reason for being Dragonborn), and otherwise just generally changing a bunch of shit (the 3 Alliances in ESO actually fucking agreed to send a few legions of troops to Coldharbour).

• 284 posts
    May 4, 2018 8:17 PM EDT
    I do have some slight experience in world building. This does look interesting. I'll certanly give it a go. Make some sort of a template in the Hub.
    • 55 posts
    May 10, 2018 5:19 AM EDT

This is what im working on right now basically if I understand you correctly. My idea is basically to start in the rp profiles with several of my characters and take it from there. My idea is that some might have character builds connected, some might have a story to tell, but it will all be connected through subtle links. It is basically a guild made up of several of my characters. One idea is to make an RP:profile "guildname" with a short description of each of the members currently in this guild. Because thats rp afterall. I might end up having a generic discussion "frontpage" though, if I end up making character builds for some of them, explain the idea of the mods i use with a link to the mods section etc, and explain my idea in a meta game way. I dont know, but that might be an idea to keep the RP part away from the meta-gaming stuff, keeping it pure in a way. I'd consider stories from different characters viewpoint a fair game to link to from the rp profiles though.

• 261 posts
    May 18, 2018 10:27 PM EDT

Interesting thought! I'm rather odd in the sense that I do have a "headcanon" universe, revolving around a Champion of Cyrodiil named Ianius Melclure (yes, his name is an Imperial version of Ian McClure, yours truly). The twist is that Ianius is a Shadow Mage; not the normal "unite versions of you into a single powerful form" type like Nightwielder, but a theoretical dimension-hopping type. The way I envision this is that Ianius sees through the eyes of an alternate version of himself. Going with the concept of a multiverse, I have a lot of "sub-realities" underneath the umbrella of Ianius' world(s), which may or may not follow the exact timeline of the games. This leads to a huge amount of canonical (in my canon, at least) Nerevarines, Heroes of Kvatch, Last Dragonborns, Vestiges, and a bajillion other random characters that never will be chosen by the Scrolls for heroics. Basically, it's like comic universes, where there's many versions of a given character, but details can vary greatly.

Uh... Anyways, yeah, nice idea. :P

• 321 posts
    May 19, 2018 12:42 AM EDT

Love the suggestion, though I wonder if the World Profile can apply to Alternate Universe world?

My world idea is very different in a sense that it is a "What if?" scenario in which Tamriel had experienced technological advancement in the Fourth Era; airships, telephones, radios etc. It's a bit Victorian Steampunk, or Dishonored with each province being different in how much they had adopted to this change. As for the would-be story setting, it's the same as Skyrim. It takes place years after the Great War, however in this universe, the Dominion had won the war using superior magic and technology. The Empire survives, but is now ruled by the Elder Council, who have become a puppet government, led by the High Chancellor. The Emperor becomes nothing more than a ceremonial position. 

Also, Tamriel and Akavir made peaceful contact, and there are Akaviri settlements within cities (something like Chinatown) and across the countryside.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    June 17, 2018 4:50 PM EDT

Sorry, missed your question, A-Pocky-Hah!. But yes, absolutely, if this does become a thing and if it were up to me. As long as TES/Fallout remains as your background, it's your world, your rules.