Forums » General Gaming

I've never played Far Cry... should I?

• 773 posts
    April 2, 2018 8:48 AM EDT

So I've never played a single minute of any of the Far Cry games.

There, I said it....

Anyway, I've noticed over the last few days a plethora of Far Cry 5 -related videos in my YouTube recommendations. I guess its because I watch various Fallout 4 videos and the YouTube algorithm links the two. Whatever. So I watch a couple - which ends up with me seeing more recommendations, and so it repeats...

My point being that, even though I've never really been interested in Far Cry, I find myself somewhat piqued.

It seems like an open world sandbox (albeit some areas have to unlocked) with masses of customisation, perks, crafting etc.

Anyone care to either recommend Far Cry 5 - or alternatively warn me off something that could be an expensive mistake.

• April 2, 2018 10:26 AM EDT

I highly enjoy Far Cry 5 personally (and can say the same for 3 and 4), but do note that I'm not playing the game for its story... which is just an excuse for you to blow stuff up and kill people, and honestly, what else do you need? >u=

Far Cry 5 takes the already fun mechanics in the previous two titles and refines them to a very high degree of polish. Movement and stealth are at their best here, I think, and the world is beautiful, with forests and woodlands and mountains in a landscape reminiscent of Skyrim. I find myself regularly forgoing a vehicle just to walk through the wilderness (and also because I can't drive worth a damn, just ask the Lorc). Character customisation is also massive here, though you have somewhat less variety in weapons... less and more, now that I think of it. You get more weapon types - there's a slingshot here! - but there are less weapons in each category.

I'm going off on a tangent here. Far Cry 5 is definitely a fun experience, and I do recommend playing it.

• 321 posts
    April 2, 2018 10:46 AM EDT

I personally enjoyed playing Far Cry 4. Has that nice Tibetan vibe going on. Still skeptical on buying Far Cry 5. The whole apocalyptic cult ruling over a town setting is too... common for me. So yeah...

To keep it short, buy it if you feel like. As Harrow said, it's a fun game so I'm sure your money is not wasted should you decide on buying it (...preferably on PC).

• 69 posts
    April 2, 2018 12:22 PM EDT

I don't personally own the game Paul, setting that out now, however my friends seem to really enjoy a good laugh when I'm chatting with them in a party on Xbox. Lots and lots of shovel executions... :P

If you were to ask them I'm sure they'd say the buy is worth it. Dunno if this provided any light on the subject.

• 649 posts
    April 2, 2018 1:28 PM EDT

Yeah, me and Harrow have been playing some Far Cry 5 together and I would say it's a tremendous amount of fun. The games are similar to Skyrim to a certain degree. The story is nothing extremely special, but the world is large, something is pretty much at every corner to be explored, and there are plenty of world events of sorts. Just stop by the road for a moment and you'll get vans with prisoners you have to free, trucks you have to destroy or loot, high value targets. Side missions are pretty much everywhere.

You can do all this by foot, in car, Far Cry 5 even adds boats, choppers and planes. There are bows in the game, which seems to be by far the most favourite weapons. All in all, it's a FPS within an open world setting.

It gets repetitive over time of course, but until then it's very fun to play. If you enjoy stealth, driving around in cars, shooting people and overall mayham in a sandbox world, it's a good choice. 

• 321 posts
    April 2, 2018 1:40 PM EDT

Basically it's all about blowing shit up!!

• 585 posts
    April 2, 2018 4:21 PM EDT

I loved 4, the only one I've played unfortunately. The pure carnage is awesome and extends to almost every area of the game - you can drive ars off cliffs and be relatively fine, there's stuff to blow up everywhere, and even the animal attack are crazy fun and challenging. I'd definitely recommend it.

• 50 posts
    April 3, 2018 1:07 PM EDT

I've played Far Cry: Blood Dragon which was entertaining but the trouble is with the FC games in general are pretty much the same format. Liberate a base / area, rinse and repeat. A lot will disagree but I played FC2 and i found it boring to be honest; I got about half way through and gave it up. I have a short attention span when it comes to games and they must be able to grab my attention and hold it so I want to finish them. An engaging plot / story is a must for me which FC or it's sequels don't seem to have. Not played any more FC games since however FC5 is looking very promising and it may well change my mind. I've a ton of other games to play first before I get round to possibly buying it though.

This post was edited by Teekus at April 3, 2018 1:18 PM EDT
    • 284 posts
    April 3, 2018 1:48 PM EDT
    I higly reccomend getting a Far Cry game. I've been with the series since it's start in 2004 and it holds a special place in my heart. I mean, the series is literally called "Skyrim with guns".
    • 197 posts
    April 3, 2018 2:05 PM EDT
    DeltaFox said:
    I higly reccomend getting a Far Cry game. I've been with the series since it's start in 2004 and it holds a special place in my heart. I mean, the series is literally called "Skyrim with guns".

Is it seriously that similar? I’m an old person who just started playing games with Oblivion at age 32. I have trouble playing anything that doesn’t feel the same. I’ve tried dragon age and other games that are supposed to, but it just doesn’t work. I suppose I’m set in my ways. But having a new game to play would be fantastic.
    • 50 posts
    April 3, 2018 2:16 PM EDT

I wouldn't say it's Skyrim with guns. It has a large open world yes but the way the games play are totally different. If any comparison is to be made Fallout is Skyrim with guns. There's nothing bad about the FC games in general and the nearest comparison I can suggest is that they are similar to the Just cause games. This reddit post explains more:-

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/2azc56/whats_wrong_with_the_like_skyrim_with_guns_quote/

FC games revolve around liberating sections of the map one at a time then going for the "main bad guy" and don't have much in the way of RPG elements that Skyrim has. As someone else put it... It's about blowing shit up in a fun way.

This post was edited by Teekus at April 3, 2018 2:22 PM EDT