Forums » The Lounge

POLL: We are 7 years old! Why do you keep coming here?

• 773 posts
    April 1, 2018 9:14 AM EDT

Yes, it's true (and not an April Fools prank...)

The original Skyrim Blog was started, as a Wordpress 'blog' on April 1st 2011 - which means that today is our 7th birthday

Edana encouraged me to have a fun poll to mark the occasion (I believe there will be other birthday happenings as well... keep 'em peeled) and I have re-worked a poll that was originally done on our 5th birthday.

So, why do you keep coming here? Why after all these years are you STILL hanging around on this site?

You can vote for multiple answers for this poll.

Vote for as many as you like, and tell us all why in the comments

• 284 posts
    April 1, 2018 12:30 PM EDT
    Well, I've been here for well over a year now, and I can tell you, it's because of the people I've met here. If this was like the other places on the Net, I would've been long gone. This place is just, you know, awesome.
    • 10 posts
    April 1, 2018 1:11 PM EDT

I just signed up yesterday (or the day before yesterday? I already forgot :D), but I've been a irregularly regular visitor the past four or so years. At first I came here for the builds, then I got into roleplaying so the tips around here were a great asset when I was first getting started with it, and slowly I became interested in the lore... and so on and so forth. This place has all I've ever needed/wanted to know when it comes to Elder Scrolls and then some, and that's awesome. And the people are also super nice. That's always a plus. :D

• 4 posts
    April 1, 2018 5:35 PM EDT

I've been a member for a while and only recently came back but everyone is so nice here! And I'm starved for Elder Scrolls content of any kind :p

• 64 posts
    April 1, 2018 6:27 PM EDT

For me the Vault (or the blog if we go way back) has been an on-and-off hobby that compels me to make creative content for the pure enjoyment of it. A place to hang out and read interesting things, join civil discussions and so on; basically the Vault is my forum for Nerdyness and I love it! 

• 627 posts
    April 1, 2018 8:01 PM EDT

Why must you include two joke answers? The indecision is tearing me apart... I just realised that I can pick both and I also just gave away that I didn't read the original post :D

My reason for still being here is that as an Admin Edana basically has me in indentured servitude :P

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    April 1, 2018 8:21 PM EDT

As some of you know, I'm a rather erratic member, with spurts of activity here and there. But I'm always here, prying on all of you, lurking. What keeps me coming back? I don't know... The atmosphere here is just so nice, and I've been with this site through a lot (mostly a lot of good, thank God. There was nothing too dramatically bad), and it's been around through quite a chunk of my "formative" years (five years as a full member and counting, I ain't done "forming" yet, lol). The Vault is part of me, in a way, amongst a lot of other memories of the later half of my teenager/early young adult years (or as I now like to call it, "old teenager years") that I hold dear and cherish closely.

Here's for another seven years! I'll raise half a cup of coffee tomorrow morning for it (I forgot to buy milk today, so I'll only have half tomorrow...).

• 558 posts
    April 1, 2018 11:51 PM EDT

General chit-chat and fun. Great community here with amazing mods. I don't really care about Character builds or Elder Scrolls anymore, and I never liked Fallout. I have had a few cool ideas for Character Builds inspired by some of the events here, but for some reason I don't get excited about watching Aldiun attack Helgen for the 70th time, so I never make my builds a reality.

I also chose the "I'm a sad person have nothing better to do option". I'm not a sad person, and I do have better things to do; however, I have no friends and this is one of my social outlets, so it does fit me a little. 

• 69 posts
    April 2, 2018 1:21 AM EDT

I've been an active member here probably only the last year, and way back on the Skyrimblog I was a lurker. Been here through a lot of things, and although I took a couple year break in between I thoroughly enjoy this site!

I come back for so much; the lore, character builds, stories, art, mods... I could name them all, but the main reason I still stick around is two things. One is just for the community vibe, it's a nice change of pace if you're having a bad day, or need a quick pick me up; the fun to be had collaborating with others or just seeing others work is what reall inspires me to do my best as well :D

For the second reason...well I can't leave Delta all by himself over in the Hub now can I ;-P

• 44 posts
    April 2, 2018 4:58 PM EDT

I've been here over a year now and I don't think I'm that active member due to the social anxiety which gives me some trouble.

I keep coming back because of the stories, the lore and the people (even it's difficult at times) + general chit chat, but I love the Site with all the contect.. :) I like to hang around here, it's like sanctuary when real life gets too hard.

• 197 posts
    April 2, 2018 8:54 PM EDT

I’ve only been on the site for a couple of months, and a panic attack (like Caladran, social anxiety is a big deal for me) almost made me quit, but the people here made me realize I don’t want to.

I chose stories and forums for my answers, but honestly? I like everyone I’ve talked with here, and it’s really nice to come to a place where things I’m interested in are what everyone else is interested in. I made the mistake of talking about a story I was writing a few months ago with a friend, and her reaction was basically “ok, that sounds cool, but why the fuck are you so interested in a video game? Honestly, that’s a little weird.”

Being in a place where what I like to do isn’t considered weird is very nice. 

• 627 posts
    April 2, 2018 10:28 PM EDT

ilanisilver said:

“ok, that sounds cool, but why the fuck are you so interested in a video game? Honestly, that’s a little weird.”

I have a counter question for your friend, why isn't she that interested in one or more video games? I find that more weird then anything else.

Also it's great to hear that you're comfortable being "weird" here with us :D

• 197 posts
    April 2, 2018 10:49 PM EDT

Golden Fool said:

ilanisilver said:

“ok, that sounds cool, but why the fuck are you so interested in a video game? Honestly, that’s a little weird.”

I have a counter question for your friend, why isn't she that interested in one or more video games? I find that more weird then anything else.

Also it's great to hear that you're comfortable being "weird" here with us :D

Right??! The reason was that we’re 42 and our hobbies are supposed to be grown-up things like watching CNN, and scrapbooking, and finding crafts to make on Pinterest. Maybe reading books on Oprah’s list. Which, I mean, I like to make a wreath now and again, but there’s only so many wreaths one person needs. And no, nothing on Oprah’s list is at all readable.

My counter was that every single person involved in the show Archer is in their 40s and 50s, so apparently being “grown-up” means something completely different to GenX-ers. 

Honestly, though, if the alternative to being weird is watching CNN and shouting at everyone on Facebook about politics, though, I know which one I’ll choose.

:)

• 490 posts
    April 2, 2018 11:15 PM EDT

I guess I don't post as often anymore but having been here for nearly 6 years I still come back to read, chat, and be goofy in my favorite universe of Elder Scrolls.

• 649 posts
    April 3, 2018 2:27 AM EDT
    Lore, stories, people, but most importantly Phil's dirty talk. That's where the shit's at :D
    • 1595 posts
    April 3, 2018 3:23 AM EDT

Karver the Lorc said: Lore, stories, people, but most importantly Phil's dirty talk. That's where the shit's at :D

You know that pillow-talk is just a substitute for having an actual personality, right Karves? :D

Caladran said:

I've been here over a year now and I don't think I'm that active member due to the social anxiety which gives me some trouble.

I keep coming back because of the stories, the lore and the people (even it's difficult at times) + general chit chat, but I love the Site with all the contect.. :) I like to hang around here, it's like sanctuary when real life gets too hard.

I think this, and similar views expressed or yet to be expressed is why I stay. It might not seem like much, it's just a website after all (albeit something quite special in that it does pretty much everything TES/Fallout related in visual and literary way), but I think it does make a difference. It's an outlet and a place of solace, somewhere someone can look forward to going and getting inspired, or sharing their creativity which got them through the day, or just to chew that fat with other fans of these settings. Or maybe I'm just a sad, sad man with a laptop who never learnt when to walk away :D

Edit: 1500 Posts! That's it, I'll never post again so at to preserve that exquisite number forever!

This post was edited by Paws at April 3, 2018 3:51 AM EDT
    • 627 posts
    April 3, 2018 4:06 AM EDT

Paws said:

Edit: 1500 Posts! That's it, I'll never post again so at to preserve that exquisite number forever!

After this post right now, I will need to make 99 more to be at a perfect number.

• 321 posts
    April 3, 2018 8:11 AM EDT

Why do I keep coming back? Well because there's a Lorc, an Old Mary, a Phil-anthropist, a technical ninja (tech-ninja!)...

Basically I keep coming back to this place because there's just a bunch of fun oddballs here who I love to interact with, whether if it involves lore, stories, builds, or just plain ol' dirty jokes.

• 50 posts
    April 3, 2018 1:14 PM EDT

I came here for the fan fiction after finding Okan-Zeeus's "Dragon of the East" which btw is a shame that it isn't being updated now. Found loads of other great Skyrim stories and interesting builds. Much like Dragon of the East they don't get updated or finished though but that's the same with any game fan fiction. I made a few friends as well. So I keep coming back to see how things are going and what people are up to. I don't always post anything but I check in at least every day or so.

• 275 posts
    April 3, 2018 2:06 PM EDT

I lurked for the builds, joined after reading DOTE by Okan-Zeeus, and ended up staying for the blogs and the lore. That was years ago now, shortly after the site changed names from the SkyrimBlog to the TamrielVault. Those were the good ol' days when the site was bustling with activity.

• 104 posts
    April 7, 2018 5:45 AM EDT

A man does not abandon his family, ok some of us are not so close but to be every peaceful member here is part of my extended family, and I am proud to call you all Brother and sister.

• 168 posts
    April 8, 2018 3:47 PM EDT

This is the only site that I actually socialize and post stuff on, really. (which should maybe change, but the whole social media/internet craze now has me depressed and anxiety-ridden) I like you guys, its a nice place here, even if most days I don't even want to turn on the computer.

I suppose one could say I'm invested too much to just leave.

(but also when's TES6?)

• 136 posts
    April 9, 2018 11:09 AM EDT

I am here for the creativity and passion of the members. This site, hands down, has the most creative people I've seen. I am simply not a very creative person. I can crunch numbers, make the most of game mechanics, and coordinate gameplay in a group setting, but am I creative enough to build a site or flesh out an RP character from my head to a page? Nah.

I come here to just read and "take in" the creative work of the members.  

• 104 posts
    April 11, 2018 10:12 AM EDT
    I wanted to write something nice for this thread but I think Patriarch has said it all so I will simply follow his lead and type "DITTO".
    • 248 posts
    April 11, 2018 1:10 PM EDT

Why? I'm a host and Edana made me.

JKJK 

I love the community. The internet can be a weird place. In this case, an awesome place for amazing weirdos. The talent floating around here continues to amaze me. From Noodle's art/builds, to Liss's writing and sheer imagination of builders like Henson, Legion, Amornar, Delta, RC etc. Where else would I go to commune with people of similar interests and extraordianry talent? dunno. I'm happy here. :)