Forums » Elder Scrolls

Elder Scrolls Online: Necromancer Class

• 3 posts
    March 21, 2018 9:09 PM EDT

Raising the dead to fight for you, commanding the souls of the dead and the damned, shedding your mortal husk and reavaling your true Lich form! These are the things that make Necromancers downright BADASSED! Sure you can try to roleplay as a Necromancer in Elder Scrolls Online, but do you really feel that power? The power to enslave souls as Molag Bal and Mannimarco did to you in Coldharbour, the ability to not just create a clumsy flesh atronach once, but to create one and have time to enhance it and make it stronger! This is something that Elder Scrolls Online is truly missing from it's gameplay that many players desperately want to see.

A Petition started for this, anyone who's willing to bring the Necromancer class to ESO click the link below.

https://www.change.org/p/bethesda-game-studios-elder-scrolls-online-necromancer-class-and-dlc

• 70 posts
    March 21, 2018 10:04 PM EDT

Well i dont play ESO but .......... Necromancers. 

• 694 posts
    March 22, 2018 9:49 AM EDT

I was actually just talking about this with Paws and Golden yesterday. I want to believe that this development is inevitable--you already encounter NPCs of that class in game, so the skill set and spells seems basically prepackaged and ready to go. There have been so many necromancer themed items lately in the crown crates (costumes, tattoos, polymorphs) that I feel like, it just has to happen... eventually. Probably deployed along some other major update like Morrowind or Summerset that they can charge a crazy amount for.

The biggest obstacle (as I see it) is that it puts a plot hole right in the middle of the main quest and Coldharbour, and why would a Necromancer aid Meridia--unless they had their own necromantic agenda that still meant bringing an end to Molag Bal's plans. Sort of like the dremora, Lyranth, you encounter throughout Coldharbour, I guess.

But yeah! I'm happy to sign that petition. :)

• 136 posts
    March 22, 2018 10:10 AM EDT

Honestly, I think this is coming. The forums have been ablaze with this very topic over the course of a few months. The same thing happened with the Warden, then ZOS released the class. I think a necromancer class....or at the very least, a necromancer skill line....is coming.

• 275 posts
    March 23, 2018 2:13 AM EDT

I don't think its coming. The Worm Cult is one of the main antagonists in both the main quest and faction questlines.

• 136 posts
    March 23, 2018 11:21 AM EDT

Ebonslayer said:

I don't think its coming. The Worm Cult is one of the main antagonists in both the main quest and faction questlines.

Necromancy =/= Membership in the Worm Cult. In Rivenspire, there are a few Necromancers who are not aligned with Mannimarco.

Like the venerable Bob Marley once said, "Not every dread is a Rasta, but every Rasta is a dread."

• 8 posts
    March 24, 2018 7:06 PM EDT

Interesting, I just read the petition and it is ambitious, a FO4 Automatron inspired necromantic workbench? (I need this mod asap. If only it was possible to port automatron to skyrim, and give it a little reskin) I also highly doubt they will restrict access to the mages guild to any one class, it's one of the core storylines. But as other people have mentioned plenty of the mechanics and skills for a necromancer already exist in npcs.

Personally, I find it hard to imagine they'll implement a new class anytime soon, introducing too many paid classes too quickly could sour quickly. Not to say it won't happen, but they'll be very selective and measured about introducing new classes. However another dlc skill line? That could happen much faster. Maybe we get a dlc to infiltrate the worm cult, to make the skills fit the bigger story nicely. I can't imagine a necromantic workbench type mechanic being introduced as a class skill, but I see it potentially added as a new mechanic for a 'guild' skill. Unlikely since there is no existing framework, but it would be cool. What if we could craft our own elemental atronachs, to make a new unique skill more widely applicable? Give the mages guild an upgrade (throw the fighters guild a bone?) and then a necromancer dlc could expand on the atronach workbench to give more undead options.

That may sound like a lot of negatives and doubt on my part, but it is a very exciting idea :D

• 1595 posts
    March 25, 2018 4:06 AM EDT

But it's disgusting! All that rotting flesh? Necromancers must smell worse than an Argonian on a hot day :p

It would be so easy to make a thematic character, though. I think Fang Lair Vet gives you a Worm Wizard personality to use with lots of creepy finger action (granted, not so esay to get unless you're Patriarch). Even so, there's so many ways it could be awesome.

Personally, I'd like to see something a bit more heroic. Maybe a Tribunal Temple Priest(ess) for whom necromancy could be a holy thing with the Dunmeri cultural twist on the subject, or maybe even an Arkay Acolyte who can use these necromantic abilities like a Warden uses nature magic... It needn't be traditional necromancy, either. Grab a daedric spirit and use that to animate old bones or a corpse. Job done, no mortal souls touched. But those aren't as appealing as the dark and sinister Necromancer archetype.

Petition signed because more player options can never be a bad thing, right?

This post was edited by Paws at March 25, 2018 4:14 AM EDT
    • 136 posts
    March 27, 2018 2:02 PM EDT

Paws said:

But it's disgusting! All that rotting flesh? Necromancers must smell worse than an Argonian on a hot day :p

It would be so easy to make a thematic character, though. I think Fang Lair Vet gives you a Worm Wizard personality to use with lots of creepy finger action (granted, not so esay to get unless you're Patriarch). Even so, there's so many ways it could be awesome.

Personally, I'd like to see something a bit more heroic. Maybe a Tribunal Temple Priest(ess) for whom necromancy could be a holy thing with the Dunmeri cultural twist on the subject, or maybe even an Arkay Acolyte who can use these necromantic abilities like a Warden uses nature magic... It needn't be traditional necromancy, either. Grab a daedric spirit and use that to animate old bones or a corpse. Job done, no mortal souls touched. But those aren't as appealing as the dark and sinister Necromancer archetype.

Petition signed because more player options can never be a bad thing, right?

Wait...are you saying that it's easy for me to get creepy finger action, Paws?!?!? 

• 1595 posts
    March 27, 2018 2:55 PM EDT
    Haah! I suppose I am, at that. But! Creepy finger action can rarely be a bad thing to find easy, surely?
    • 29 posts
    May 8, 2018 2:27 PM EDT
    Gods, no! There are two classes that use summoning, and while I have not played as a Warden, I think the Summoning line for the Sorcerer class sucks. The best thing about being able to summon creatures in other games is that they are typically on screen for a short period of time. The summons on ESO follow you around and get in the way. A necromancer could be handy against a group of enemies, but by the time you raise a corpse or two, the remaining enemies are either too weakened, or you are nearly dead.
    • 136 posts
    May 8, 2018 3:06 PM EDT

Kodaav said: Gods, no! There are two classes that use summoning, and while I have not played as a Warden, I think the Summoning line for the Sorcerer class sucks. The best thing about being able to summon creatures in other games is that they are typically on screen for a short period of time. The summons on ESO follow you around and get in the way. A necromancer could be handy against a group of enemies, but by the time you raise a corpse or two, the remaining enemies are either too weakened, or you are nearly dead.

As someone who has completed much of the end-game content on a Sorc (mDK is the other class), I agree that the summoning abilities suck. Well, they suck in the sense that they appear to be more as tack-on skills with little connection to the class. Literally there's only 2 summons (3 if you count the Ult) in a skill line called, Deadric Summoning. Weird.

That said, a pet Sorc is one of the most powerful and survivable PvE classes you can use for difficult, end game content. The only pet I use on my sorc, the Volatile Familiar, is such a strong little sucker. His cleave damage is through the roof if you time his special attack properly with Deadric Prey (morph of curse). The only pets that get in the way are the casual, solo questing pet sorcs who have the Twilight out at all times, especially at bankers, traders, and crafting stations. But, those are generally the pet sorcs who don't really know how to best use their class and are just copying a build they saw online. Most don't even realize that you can dismiss pets if you don't want them out.

I have a Magicka and a Stamina Warden. The only pet that sticks around is the Bear ultimate. The others are one-time abilities. 

This post was edited by The_Lex at May 8, 2018 3:08 PM EDT