Forums » Elder Scrolls

Can You Break From A Class?

• 743 posts
    January 13, 2018 3:17 PM EST

So ever since I started RPGs quite a few years ago, I've always had to go with a stealth class. I've had countless Skyrim playthroughs using similar stealth classes over and over again with variations. I dunno why, but whenever I attempt to do a sword and board or perhaps a mage, I can't ever seem to get into it. It's as if I'm stuck in the stealth archetype.

Is this the case for anyone else? I feel as if it's not, but it's something I'd love to get different perspectives on. I seriously cannot break from my class. 

• 275 posts
    January 13, 2018 5:27 PM EST

I honestly have no problems. Sure, the call to go back to what's familiar is tempting but due to my non-picky nature about combat I usually have fun with almost everything and that holds me for a bit.

• 62 posts
    January 13, 2018 5:31 PM EST
    I know exactly where you're coming from, I myself lean VERY hard towards stealth gameplay. I just prefer to be calculating and tactical, it's just more fun to me.

In Skyrim specifically you have a of freedom to blur the lines between classes so if you're trying to branch out then your best bet if to figure out your reason for preferring stealthy classes and see if you can't adapt that to other classes in some way.

We character builders are pretty resourceful, and that's a great way to kick-start your creativity, necessity being the mother of invention and all that...

Some of my favorite builds I've made were because I challenged myself to take a class I found boring and make it into something I found fun.
    • 457 posts
    January 13, 2018 6:19 PM EST

My go-to used to be a stealthy rogue of some sort, but over the years I've come to enjoy all the playstyles (with the possible exception of sword and board--maybe one a year, but I have trouble playing that style too much more than that).

Anything new for me I tend to enjoy playing, but the playstyles I seem to keep coming back to most regularly would be unarmed and in-yo-face archer; I enjoy the moving and shaking those playstyles require.

So, yeah, I've broken out of the stealth rogue mold that I came from, but it took some getting used to (don't know why, but I used to really resist playing as a mage (especially pure mage), but now I quite enjoy it). I wonder what it is about those other playstyles that don't appeal to you--is it an RP aspect, or do you just dislike the mechanics of those other styles, or maybe a mixture of both?

• 1595 posts
    January 13, 2018 6:23 PM EST

I get it Rogue, warrior classes for me, with a strong bias towards sword, and board knights or pilgrims being my favoured archetypes. And ladies in skimpy armour. I struggle to break that mould sometimes but, tbh, don't try as hard to anymore. Way I see it is that I play for fun and so do what I find fun. I don't think there is a standard for that, as some find fun in exploring new ways to play, while others may enjoy certain skills more - each to their own, aye?

That said, maybe Ebon's got a good perpesctive: Mix in a bit of something new to your traditional style and see if it holds you.

Take Tyso's approach, perhaps. How about an assassin with a buckler? That slightly different approach to combat may open up possibilities you feel you genuinely want to explore? Like, that way it wouldn't be forced, just organic and a natural evolution.

Lol, although I read those suggestions and think, "add an element of assassination to my pilgrim? Nah." :D

This post was edited by Paws at January 13, 2018 6:24 PM EST
    • 457 posts
    January 13, 2018 6:28 PM EST

Paws said:

I struggle to break that mould sometimes but, tbh, don't try as hard to anymore. Way I see it is that I play for fun and so do what I find fun.

That's actually a pretty good point; so long as you aren't bored with the stealth builds, why force yourself to play a style that you've tried, but just don't like? If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;D

• 62 posts
    January 13, 2018 6:59 PM EST

Paws said:

Take Tyso's approach, perhaps. How about an assassin with a buckler? That slightly different approach to combat may open up possibilities you feel you genuinely want to explore? Like, that way it wouldn't be forced, just organic and a natural evolution.

Lol, although I read those suggestions and think, "add an element of assassination to my pilgrim? Nah." :D

Lol. Maybe I should elaborate. I mean to do a little more macro-analysis than that. For instance, the nimble acrobatic nature of rogues clearly appealed to Shinjin, so even in direct confrontations he enjoys the tactical approach of things like combat archery. Or at least I assume, since I do. Lol. Another example is that I prefer light to armor and get bored out of my mind playing tanks, but tasking atanky character with the protection of a rather squishy follower keeps things a lot more interesting for me. Things like that.

This post was edited by Tysoyaha at January 13, 2018 7:00 PM EST
    • 62 posts
    January 13, 2018 7:04 PM EST

ShinJin said:

That's actually a pretty good point; so long as you aren't bored with the stealth builds, why force yourself to play a style that you've tried, but just don't like? If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;D

Agreed. I meant to include in my first comment. If you're stuck playing stealthily because you enjoy it then there's no problem! Lol. Though I know what is like to be bored with stealth but also uninterested in other classes.

• 284 posts
    January 13, 2018 7:45 PM EST

My prefered style is sword and board. Altough in Skyrim, I badly need some kind of combat overhaul mod. So that even in sword and board style you need to think tacticaly. Are you going to fight with offense or defense? Are you going to use heavy or light armor? Are you trying to end the fight quickly or are you going to tire the enemy and strike at the best moment?

• 490 posts
    January 13, 2018 9:16 PM EST

I can't seem to stray too far away from an armored mage type. Overall I would say I stray away from sneaking and smithing like they are the plague. Archery isn't too much of an interest anymore, either, and I don't much enjoy picking pockets.

I have played so many variations of many classes and my favorite have been using all magics minus illusion, some version of armor and clothing combos that look cool, and various combos of weapons and shields and staves. Jumping into the fray head on blasting magic and sweeping up with badass weapons.

• 122 posts
    January 14, 2018 12:23 AM EST

My usual “class” is probably a stealthy Mage. My recent attempt to break that mold as an In-Yo-Face Destruction/Alteration/Restoration mage was surprisingly fun.

After that I’m trying to decide if I should go with an Enforcer type (melee combat focus with a double minor in assassin and rogue- basically my version of the intimidating jerk every faction seems to include in Skyrim), an agent of the College of Whispers (Conjurer/Illusionist stealth Mage with emphasis on thievery/subterfuge rather than assassination/damage), or making a member of the Silver-Bloods (Two-Handed/Heavy Armor combat, Smithing, mercantilism, and the unlimited Stamina Glitch plus getting into the heads of one of my least favorite factions in the game.

• 585 posts
    January 14, 2018 10:14 AM EST

I don't think I'm really confined to a class, but apparently I'm unable to not use magic in any character I play. I just love using it I guess, and as the magic system in Skyrim is one of my favourite systems in games it makes me want to use it even more. But I have played non-magic characters in the past, mainly thieves and assassins, so maybe this question doesn't really apply to me.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 14, 2018 6:00 PM EST

My first playthrough always tends to be as either a Paladin or as a Barbarian, but when given the option I like to match elements of those two classes: love two-handed weapons, light armour and brutish-like characters and I love leading and healing magic, so I try to get the best of the two worlds. But to answer your question, I can break from my traditional choices, but usually only after completing the game with them first. Of course, the game itself has to be good enough to warrant more than one playthrough to see things that are class, origin or race blocked.

• 136 posts
    January 14, 2018 6:40 PM EST
    I love playing melee/magic hybrids. Now, I realize that is a pretty broad category. However, do tend to play a lot of holy types, paladins/clerics/priests., etc. That said, conjuration is my absolute favorite school of magic. When I change it up, it's usually a nightblade or a some melee mixed with necromancy. I get bored with barbarians and pure archers.
    • 136 posts
    January 14, 2018 6:43 PM EST
    Patriarch said:
    I love playing melee/magic hybrids. Now, I realize that is a pretty broad category. However, do tend to play a lot of holy types, paladins/clerics/priests., etc. That said, conjuration is my absolute favorite school of magic. When I change it up, it's usually a nightblade or a some melee mixed with necromancy. I get bored with barbarians and pure archers.

This why in ESO, although my magica sorcerer is my strongest character, I get bored with him. I LOVE my Dragonknights - the perfect combo of melee and magic. My stamplar is pretty cool, too.
    • 558 posts
    January 15, 2018 12:25 AM EST
    I don't really struggle with this, although I mostly play two-handed tanks. Although in Skyrim specifically, I really enjoyed playing a lot of "acrobat" builds. But I always have fun with stealth and magic once I get comfortable with the game. The most fun I had in Skyrim was a full mage build. I probably should have made a build for it here before deleting the save file. I think it was the only character I got past level 40. Oh well.
    • 278 posts
    January 16, 2018 7:35 AM EST

I'm with you Rogue. It's always the stealth class - Thieves and Rogues in Skyrim, Hunters in D1 and D2, Infiltrators in Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4, yeah that's my class. Tried messing with Warlocks in Destiny 2, didn't catch on.

• 1 posts
    January 17, 2018 9:00 AM EST

This was totally me not that long ago. No matter how I started, I always fell back on sneaking and bow using. I would justify it. So one day I decided to create the Ranger class of character. With that, he doesn't sneak to use his bow, its more of a utility for hunting and the occassional party starter. Then I switched to Two Handed, which is a huge adjustment from dagger. But I have to be honest, it was totally worth it. Now I almost never use the bow. I have even branched out into pure mage builds for a greater challenge.

• 104 posts
    January 17, 2018 5:32 PM EST
    never stray to far from the Battlemage or Defender class, spellsword is an excellent hybrid of both classes, sounds like a Stealth based witchhunter would be your hybrid class rogue I suspect, but I see your point it is difficult to break from the character class that most suits your playstyle.
    • 275 posts
    January 17, 2018 6:11 PM EST

Here's an idea that came to mind: try an extremely overpowered version of the complete opposite of what you typically play. I used to only ever be able to play stealth characters too until I played Mason's Obsidian Sentinel, I had a lot of fun with it and it might help you break from the stealth archetype and find fun in other playstyles. I'd also recommend this build to help you get out of the reliance on a bow for assassinations and this build if you want to stick to your bow but want to get more used to a warrior playstyle.

• 457 posts
    January 19, 2018 3:10 PM EST

I've enjoyed all the perspectives and tips coming out of this discussion :D

(A discussion that is currently being featured on the TV Twitter and Facebook pages)

• 1467 posts
    January 24, 2018 6:24 AM EST

Feel like I'm a bit late at this point, but dropping in any way. I don't have problems changing at some point, but my first character is just about always a Cleric these days. If it's a game where I can create a bit of a War-Cleric (heavy focus on buffing, healing and damage output) then I do, but I'm just as happy playing a character that runs around being near unkillable just because she's constantly healing more damage than enemies can inflict.

• 295 posts
    January 25, 2018 1:00 PM EST

I guess because I don't have a deep gaming background (Skyrim was my first game and now FO and that's pretty much it), I'm not so bound to a class. I've played everything, from sword and boards, to sneaky archers, to pure mages, and there are things I like about all of them. I just like finding new and cool ways to beat the game and have a good roleplaying experience at the same time. I guess that's what it is, I roleplay, so I will fit the gameplay to the roleplay. If the character is a pyromancer, I'll bloody play as one, stubbornly. This is something that the single-skill builds have shown me, lots of cool ways to play the game. 

• 215 posts
    January 25, 2018 6:16 PM EST

I think the biggest thing for me is what you are doing....for personal plays I too tend to go stealth.  But doing CBs really helps break the mold and give you a focal point to stay outside of a box.

• 168 posts
    January 25, 2018 9:32 PM EST

I always take a class focused on putting elemental magic on weapons or some similar class that imbues magic into weapons if a game has that as an option as its own class (most don't though). Or a wind-elemental based character, (but you can almost never get that!) but usually I make those myself.

But I also have difficulty playing as summoner or conjurur type of character who's reliant on their minions to fight for them. Occaisionaly I'll try to, but to me it always feels like a weird gimmick and I can never stick with it.

I also find it hard to play/RP as outright evil or bad characters; even if the character has 'dark' powers I'd rather play them as a misunderstood hero using a 'fight fire with fire' strategy than be a villain. I dunno why.