Forums » Elder Scrolls

To get or not to get, that is the question

• 9 posts
    January 8, 2018 2:15 AM EST
    So I've been playing Skyrim Special Edition, making -and screwing up- character builds to post for a short while, and I just realized around 11 Pm that if I bought the original Skyrim I'd have access to Nexus Mods in all its glory. But part of my mind tells me I'm okay with Bethesda mods that I currently have access to, plus the free DLC's. So I have two questions:Do I buy the original Skyrim or be happy with SE and if I do, will it screw up using Bethesda mods on SE if I use Nexus mods for the original?
    • 278 posts
    January 8, 2018 6:16 AM EST

Buy the original now. I was in your position, but I have moved into the light and it has cleansed me of my impurities.

• 295 posts
    January 8, 2018 9:22 AM EST

Wulfhedinn said:

Buy the original now. I was in your position, but I have moved into the light and it has cleansed me of my impurities.

Lol, I guess I am in the darkside then because I've done the opposite, abandoned Oldrim for SSE. I will convert it to Enderal or something like that. I think I'm missing one mod from my Oldrim list and that is it, so I didn't struggle much finding SSE equivalents on the Nexus, but if you are going through Bethesda then that is a different story. I dunno, I  just find my SSE game so much more stable. 

• 44 posts
    January 8, 2018 10:10 AM EST

Am  I crazy then if I'm playing on both? :P For different reasons that is.  Anyway, if you like stable game, go with SSE, but I wouldn't completely abandon the original one, for the mods on Nexus.

• 1467 posts
    January 10, 2018 3:32 AM EST

To your first question, I would answer: Look up what mods you might want, and check if they're out on the SSE Nexus. A lot of mods have been ported over to SSE and in some cases work better than the originals, but you do lose a lot of mods that require SKSE (Skyrim Script Extender) which adds a lot to what modders can do. 

If you can't find a list of mods that you just can't run on SE, then I'd definitely buy it in a Steam Sale (where it's going to be ridiculously cheap) because there really are some great mods that just aren't currently available on SE..

Question Two: Nope, the two modlists are 100% separate. Do note, that you can also install mods from the Nexus into your SSE game, it's just a more limited list than the original, but probably still a bit better than Bethesda.net. It is a tad harder because man I'll give them credit, installing Bethesda.net mods is just insanely easy.

• 9 posts
    January 11, 2018 10:30 AM EST

Mega-Dragonborn-of-Doom (1921) said:

To your first question, I would answer: Look up what mods you might want, and check if they're out on the SSE Nexus. A lot of mods have been ported over to SSE and in some cases work better than the originals, but you do lose a lot of mods that require SKSE (Skyrim Script Extender) which adds a lot to what modders can do. 

If you can't find a list of mods that you just can't run on SE, then I'd definitely buy it in a Steam Sale (where it's going to be ridiculously cheap) because there really are some great mods that just aren't currently available on SE..

Question Two: Nope, the two modlists are 100% separate. Do note, that you can also install mods from the Nexus into your SSE game, it's just a more limited list than the original, but probably still a bit better than Bethesda.net. It is a tad harder because man I'll give them credit, installing Bethesda.net mods is just insanely easy.

1. I have attempted to use mods for SSE on Nexus, but it can never find the information despite being in the same folder as all my other game files are in -in terms of data and such, not the icons. Icons are in "Games" folder. And Tuesday I dowloaded a crapload of mods which I am now getting an error about some parameter being set to the wrong number that I have NO idea what's it on about.  

2. Whew, alright good to know. I was questioning myself at first; I had a build going on SSE that I planned on finishing (And turned out I screwed it up so I need to restart it all over again upon closer inspection) that I wasn't planning on making on the Original, and then I was like "Wait...what if I can't use Bethesda mods because of the original if I use Nexus? I'd have to remake my char on the original and actually consider buying DLC just for mods. Glad now that I don't have to give up my Build just for modding. 

3. Despite problem 1, it runs smoother than SSE. I mean 60 FPS whereas SE is still smooth but could be smoother. And the  vanilla black Argonian skintone actually looks black. My only complaint is unlike SSE, there's no "Named folders" of your character containing all your saves (For example, I had a character named Teri Yakano and another named DragonChef, and they had their saves in respectively named folders in the Load section, where as in the original you can only go by a save file containing the name of your char and hope for the best. At first I thought they would override each other yet so that's a thing.