Forums » General Gaming

POLL Your most anticipated games of 2018?

• 1441 posts
    January 25, 2018 12:26 PM EST
    Karver the Lorc said:
    It seems that way. I read a Czech article about it just today, where it said that some people from JSW are focusing mainly on Daniel Vávra, calling him racist and ethno-fascist for making a "white" game. And when Vávra says he had a historian and several consults they say he just hired biased Czech historians. Like if we actually needed to be biased or something. It's just ridiculous.

Isn't the Czech Republic predominantly Caucasian? I mean yeah, there might have been say, Moors and what it, but they'd probably be in the vast minority. Also, is that spank a female holiday thing still around? I remember reading about it
    • 1441 posts
    January 25, 2018 12:28 PM EST
    You know what's funny about the debates? Those same people are probably calling Far Cry 5 a white genocide simulatorand anti Christian cause you get to kill a lot of predominantly white cultists who have some connections with Christianity
    • 295 posts
    January 25, 2018 12:38 PM EST

Karver the Lorc said: It is kinda...bordering with something that shouldn't be discussed on this site, but... I don't know, it got under my skin. So I'm from Czech Republic, this game is being developed by Czech people and is set in Czech Kingdom in 15th century. And apparently Americans have attacked the studio, that the game is racist and sexist. Because there are no ethnic groups, only white people, and you don't get the option to make a female character. So was just wondering if someone stumbled on that or not.

This American isn't. Lol, well, you know how I feel on this shit, Karver, we've discussed this quite a bit on Steam. It makes me very upset when artistic expression is being curtailed. If you don't like a game, don't fooooooking play it, but dammit, don't deny other people the opportunity to do so. The irony is that the average American probably doesn't even care about the alligations that group is making and that a very tiny, albeit very vocal, minority is making the developer's life miserable. 

• 288 posts
    January 25, 2018 12:44 PM EST

Chris, maybe you liked Inquisition and maybe some other people did, but the general consensus on the Internet (that I've seen while reading articles and watching youtube reviews) seems to be that it is not up to the standards set by DA:Origins. Of course, DA2 was the worst, but that is no excuse.

In general, Bioware have been slowly but steadily declining as a game developer over the last decade. Some reviewers attribute that to the increased political correctness and (quote) "pandering to minorities" (/quote) in their games. Me - personally I believe it is because they were bought by EA and EA is a known game killer :P

This post was edited by Overhate at January 25, 2018 12:46 PM EST
    • 1441 posts
    January 25, 2018 12:45 PM EST
    The Long-Chapper said:

Karver the Lorc said: It is kinda...bordering with something that shouldn't be discussed on this site, but... I don't know, it got under my skin. So I'm from Czech Republic, this game is being developed by Czech people and is set in Czech Kingdom in 15th century. And apparently Americans have attacked the studio, that the game is racist and sexist. Because there are no ethnic groups, only white people, and you don't get the option to make a female character. So was just wondering if someone stumbled on that or not.

This American isn't. Lol, well, you know how I feel on this shit, Karver, we've discussed this quite a bit on Steam. It makes me very upset when artistic expression is being curtailed. If you don't like a game, don't fooooooking play it, but dammit, don't deny other people the opportunity to do so. The irony is that the average American probably doesn't even care about the alligations that group is making and that a very tiny, albeit very vocal, minority is making the developer's life miserable. 

I'm all down for inclusion, as long as it makes sense. Still, excited for Kingdom Come, though what I am miffed about is you can't at least choose the character's name, like say James, or Roland or the like
    • 62 posts
    January 25, 2018 12:48 PM EST
    I saw the Deliverence thing play out on Reddit. It was one guy asking a history-themed account the historical accuracy of a medieval game with no people of color in it. Then, as they often do, the ironically over sensitive members of r/tumblerinaction flipped their shit. I'm sure reactionary morons on both sides of that political clusterfuck have escalated the nonsense since then...but what originally promoted it wasn't nearly the unreasonable craziness you've been lead to believe. Really just seemed like it was a person of color looking for a game where they could play as themselves... but the badass knight version. Lol.
    • 41 posts
    January 25, 2018 1:47 PM EST
    I agree with Overhate here. It seems to be a very american problem to have. I mean, I never heard of any czech or polish activists spitting on a game in this manner.
    • 275 posts
    January 25, 2018 1:50 PM EST

Whatever the fuck this is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAYhXKC0LJ8

Edit: I'm American and I have no problems with a game that only has white people or something, such a thing just seems completely retarded to me. I don't remember seeing a single black person in The Witcher (though I may just not be remembering them) and I have no problem with it, in fact I love the game.

Also, the people who say Inquisition is bad are just idiots. Compared to Dragon Age: Origins, yes it seems quite bad, but on its own DA:I is a very great open world RPG with great story and characters. It's not fair to compare it to Origins since that was, and still is, one of the best RPGs in existence second only to KOTOR.

This post was edited by Ebonslayer at January 25, 2018 2:01 PM EST
    • 1441 posts
    January 25, 2018 2:17 PM EST
    Ebonslayer said:

Whatever the fuck this is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAYhXKC0LJ8

Edit: I'm American and I have no problems with a game that only has white people or something, such a thing just seems completely retarded to me. I don't remember seeing a single black person in The Witcher (though I may just not be remembering them) and I have no problem with it, in fact I love the game.

Also, the people who say Inquisition is bad are just idiots. Compared to Dragon Age: Origins, yes it seems quite bad, but on its own DA:I is a very great open world RPG with great story and characters. It's not fair to compare it to Origins since that was, and still is, one of the best RPGs in existence second only to KOTOR.

Then there were the people who got triggered over seeing a black guy on the cover of Shadow of War, even though, and I don't think the movies mention this, there IS a country of black people in Middle-Earth, proud warriors who see others as potential worthy rivals
    • 62 posts
    January 25, 2018 3:11 PM EST

Chris said:

Then there were the people who got triggered over seeing a black guy on the cover of Shadow of War, even though, and I don't think the movies mention this, there IS a country of black people in Middle-Earth, proud warriors who see others as potential worthy rivals

Yup, and guess what? It's those same people who are making a big deal out of this and trying to convince everyone that people are upset about a game with only white people in it...they're not. Not this time, that is. I mean, it would be admittedly problematic in certain situations, but a historically accurate depiction of a largely white part of the world isn't one of them. No one actually cares, at least not nearly as much as the people who are ranting about why everyone cares so much.

This post was edited by Tysoyaha at January 25, 2018 3:12 PM EST
    • 87 posts
    January 25, 2018 7:53 PM EST
    Just to be clear, the reason there are no so called “minorities” is because it wouldn’t make sense to have them in the game. It would be historically inaccurate. There were no minorities in 14th Century Bohemia. This decision is purely based on historical evidence, it is not motivated by the absurd claim that the director is racist.
    This post was edited by Decumus Scotti at January 25, 2018 7:53 PM EST
    • 1467 posts
    January 25, 2018 8:27 PM EST

Chris, maybe you liked Inquisition and maybe some other people did, but the general consensus on the Internet (that I've seen while reading articles and watching youtube reviews) seems to be that it is not up to the standards set by DA:Origins. Of course, DA2 was the worst, but that is no excuse.

In general, Bioware have been slowly but steadily declining as a game developer over the last decade. Some reviewers attribute that to the increased political correctness and (quote) "pandering to minorities" (/quote) in their games. Me - personally I believe it is because they were bought by EA and EA is a known game killer :P

Yeah, I'd say that Bioware is 100% being ruined be EA, without a doubt there. I'd also argue that from a gameplay perspective, Inquisition is far, far worse than Dragon Age 2, everything in that game is designed to pointlessly slow you down. Couldn't stand Inquisition at all, and generally speaking it's seen as a mediocre game at best. Critics seem to like it, but outside of the characters (which aren't as memorable to me as DA 2's or Origins...but that second one was obvious) I really don't see any positives in the game.

But overall, DA is no longer what we look to as one of the best RPG"s around. Origins is one of the best. I think the Witcher 3 is almost the definitive example of a great RPG, and more importantly an absolutely amazing studio developing it. Obsidian's probably the only company up there at the moment, in terms of RPG's at least. 

Though I did just read that Dragon Age 4 was recently announced...have a feeling that it's either going to be shit or amazing (with odds on the first).

Heh, ended it above but had to reply there. I think I agree that comparing it to Origins is unfair, though I'm pretty critical of Origins from a gameplay perspective. I'm just of the opinion that Inquisition wasn't that great. I didn't like the crafting system, I didn't like the whole 'Power' system that it had, I wasn't really fond of the gameplay though I'll admit I think the last and first ones are probably personal issues. But for me, I think it's mediocre. Like the story is fine, the companions are fine, the world is probably the biggest selling point, because it does look amazing, and has some pretty cool areas. But, the fact that you have to grind through the game is a huge negative (and not just a combat grind, but a misc quest grind), I couldn't tell you a single companion that I really enjoyed other than Varic, and that's more a compliment to DA 2 because that game made him one of the best companions in any game ever. 

I dunno, I compare it to DA 2, and outside of the actual world that they build (not the world building, but the actual locations) I can't help but consider DA:2 a better game. The combat was enjoyable (and fit the idea of the game, Varic was telling a story, and thus exaggerating everything), the classes were all interesting, the characters without fail were awesome (The companions, the Arishok, I even liked Meredith and the Mage guy), it was a lot more focused. And I could list positives all day if I really wanted to.

But yeah...Inquisition isn't the worst game, it just wasn't the best. 

This post was edited by SpookyBorn2021 at January 25, 2018 8:35 PM EST
    • 17 posts
    January 25, 2018 8:55 PM EST

It actually would make perfect sense for a game set in Medieval Bohemia to have ethnic minorities. There were Romanis, Arabs and people of mixed race living in Europe in those days, y'know? They were a very small portion of the population of course, but it would make sense to include them (especially when you are going for extreme realism).  Medieval Europe was not as "caucasian" as most people assume*.

And not being able to play as a female is also huge limitation in an RPG, obvisouly. A game that allows you create a character of different race and gender just gives you some many roleplaying possibilities and makes the game much more interesting. If all you can do is play as a white male, people will complain (me included, since I prefer playing as a female character).

So yeah, those complains are perfectly reasonable. The problem is that some people just lose their shit anytime there's a talk about race and gender, then the name calling starts and it becomes an effing circus. 

*https://www.publicmedievalist.com/race-racism-middle-ages-tearing-whites-medieval-world/ - an article to back my claim, so no one can say I'm just pulling this info out of my arse. 

• 87 posts
    January 25, 2018 10:19 PM EST
    Sarah Lannister said:

It actually would make perfect sense for a game set in Medieval Bohemia to have ethnic minorities. There were Romanis, Arabs and people of mixed race living in Europe in those days, y'know? They were a very small portion of the population of course, but it would make sense to include them (especially when you are going for extreme realism).  Medieval Europe was not as "caucasian" as most people assume*.

And not being able to play as a female is also huge limitation in an RPG, obvisouly. A game that allows you create a character of different race and gender just gives you some many roleplaying possibilities and makes the game much more interesting. If all you can do is play as a white male, people will complain (me included, since I prefer playing as a female character).

So yeah, those complains are perfectly reasonable. The problem is that some people just lose their shit anytime there's a talk about race and gender, then the name calling starts and it becomes an effing circus. 

*https://www.publicmedievalist.com/race-racism-middle-ages-tearing-whites-medieval-world/ - an article to back my claim, so no one can say I'm just pulling this info out of my arse. 

I think the director has made clear that his game is first and foremost realistic and historical. To be able to play as a female would make even less sense than having people of color. You would not be able to do anything and the story would be boring. As for the minorities, the chances of having people of color in 16 square km of 15th Century Bohemia is literally zero.
    This post was edited by Decumus Scotti at January 25, 2018 10:19 PM EST
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 25, 2018 10:19 PM EST

I'm looking forward to Kingdom Come, although I don't think my build will be able to support it properly, sadly. As for the issues brought above, I'm inclined to agree with Karver and Overhate.

Dragonborn, I agree with you, but I think that with Divinity Original Sin 2, Larian Studios have secured a place amongst the best RPG developers. Have you played it? I highly recommend (more than PoE, in fact. The combat is miles better).

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 25, 2018 10:23 PM EST

Oh, and reading about Kingdom Come made me remember about another game I'm looking forward to: Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord. It has been delayed quite a few times, but I think that it is finally reasonable to assume it will arrive this year.

• 558 posts
    January 25, 2018 10:38 PM EST

I know little about the setting of KC:D, but it seems like it is set in some small village. I'm sure there was dark people in Medieval Europe, but I highly doubt that they lived in the small hamlets. They probably lived in cities. 

The issue for me is that Baranor literally added nothing to the Harad. He felt like he was put in there to fill a diversity quota that WB forced upon Monolith. I guess there is supposed to be a DLC where you can play as him and we might get some more info on the Harad, but as of right now he is an uninspired character that felt shoehorned in. A lot of the backlash is probably due to the fact that Tolkein's universe is very Euro-centric (excluding the ironic Abrahamic influences), and I don't think there has ever been a non-white main character before. 

• 1441 posts
    January 25, 2018 10:39 PM EST
    Mr. Edd said:

Oh, and reading about Kingdom Come made me remember about another game I'm looking forward to: Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord. It has been delayed quite a few times, but I think that it is finally reasonable to assume it will arrive this year.

Yesh
    • 1467 posts
    January 25, 2018 10:55 PM EST

Dragonborn, I agree with you, but I think that with Divinity Original Sin 2, Larian Studios have secured a place amongst the best RPG developers. Have you played it? I highly recommend (more than PoE, in fact. The combat is miles better).

Ah, I've only played Original Sin 1, and I haven't managed to finish the game. But uh, yeah that is a fair point. I've heard that the 2nd game is a hell of a lot better than the first so I might pick it up soon. 

• 14 posts
    January 29, 2018 5:58 PM EST

Less excited for upcoming games these past couple of years because I'm archaic and don't own a next-gen console, but I've got my eye on Monster Hunter World and the remaster of Dark Souls.

• January 31, 2018 4:00 AM EST
    Three words: Shadow of Colossus!
    • 558 posts
    January 31, 2018 3:41 PM EST

Only a few more days. Hopefully it doesn't let me down.

• 1441 posts
    January 31, 2018 4:01 PM EST
    It's looking pretty good from gameplay. Apparently you can't climb to the secret gardens anymore
    • 275 posts
    January 31, 2018 4:48 PM EST

Chris said: It's looking pretty good from gameplay. Apparently you can't climb to the secret gardens anymore

DAMNIT! That was my stamina test.