Forums » Elder Scrolls

My ideas for Hoods/Masks for Skyrim SE

• 9 posts
    December 23, 2017 11:17 AM EST

So I've been playing Skyrim SE for a couple weeks now -only recently started using mods- and I noticed that while there were hoods for darker/mysterious themed characters in vanilla, they were REALLY limited or not usable by the player -E.g. the Black mage hood that you see skeletons sometimes wearing but is only accessable to the player via the hooded black robes.- If you take out hooded robes which offer no defense on thier own, then that only leaves you with the Torturer's Hood, Thieves Guild Hood, or the Worn/Shrouded/Ancient Cowl & Hood, Nightingale Hood, and Mage Hoods. As for masks, you're limted to the Cultist Mask and Dragon Priest Masks. A non-Dragonborn character I think wouldn't try to fight a Dragon Priest without a good reason, and the Cultists -as of current experience- show up after you complete the Graybeards' Quest. A quest you won't do if you're playing as a non-Dragonborn character.

Why aren't there more headgear for those playing thief/assasin builds? I had some ideas of various masks that would fit into the vanilla smithing system and would be somewhat realistic. I didn't include any masks for DLC content because I'm focusing primarily on items you could obtain without doing any DLC-related quests. Dyes/paints would've been added into shops such as Riverwood Trader so you could customize your heargear(s) of choice. All masks shall have a hooded or non-hooded version. Here is the breakdown:

==~The Leather Catergory would have a stiched burlap sack mask with two holes revealing your character's eyes in place of the execution hood. This would require 3 leather/6 leather strips, items you can either buy or create yourself by obtaining wild animal pelts. Also lootable off of bandits. 

==~The Iron Catergoy would offer players a decent beginner's mask in two different designs: a masquerade mask or a skull-shaped mask. The first would only require 2 iron ingots/ 3 leather strips while the skull shaped mask -for those of you who like something a tad more macabre early on- requires a 1 human skull, 4 iron ingots, and 4 leather strips. The skull mask shall cover your entire face while the masquerade mask only covers your upper half. Can be found on bandits

==~The Steel Smithing Perk introduces masks in shapes of various animal heads. You have wolf, mudcrab, sabrecat, deer, and fox masks available. These require 2 steel ingots/3 leather strips to create. The final mask type that you can loot from bandits.

==~Elven Smithing shall unlock a gold-colored mask designed to look like a Thalmor's face. Found on Thamlor Members, this mask allows you to blend in among other Thamlor, rendering them non-hostile until the mask is removed. If for some reason you need to remove the mask, do so out of sight as enemies who see you without your mask shall no longer be fooled by your disguise and will become hostile. To craft this you will need 4 refined moonstone/3 gold ingots/4 leather strips.

==~Dwarven masks would give you the signature Dwarven Centurion look while making Dwarven contraptions -other than Dwarven Ballistas- turn a blind eye toward you as you pillage the ruins they're supposed to protect. These require 6 Dwarven Metal Ingots/6 leather strips to craft. 

==~Orcish masks would have similar designs to Japanese Oni Masks, fitting for those seeing to look brutish and fearsome at the same time. Requires 4 Orichalcum Ingots/4 leather strips to create or found on Orc enemies.

==~The Ebony Smithing Perk unlocks two different types of masks: a raven-head mask and a jester's mask. The raven head mask is designed to look like the animal, akin to masks unlocked via Steel Smithing. The jester's mask is a round mask with two diagonal eyeslits and a painted smile complete with two cheek circles. The raven head mask will make you invisible for 20 seconds while crouching while the jester's mask hides your idenity from others. The jester's mask is a favorite among thieves and assassins as Holds can't place a bounty on you since they have no clue of your identity. Both masks require 10 ebony ingots/5 steel ingots/5 iron ingots/2 grand soul gems/8 leather strips to craft.

==~Daedric Smithing is the only perk that will not unlock a craftable mask; instead, it allows you to upgrade a unique mask that you'd be able to find on Dremora enemies named "Umbra's Disguise". Shaped as a single purple pupil within a red iris surrounded by blackened metal, this mask allows you to disguise yourself as a member of any fraction. You'll have to be wearing the rest of the fraction armor set while wearing this mask for the effect to work. 

And that concludes my ideas. Please keep in mind that I will not be making this into a mod; I have zero skills in that area, and I'm not the guy to turn to for technical issues. My usual response to a PC problem is either reboot the system or pound the laptop repeatingly with your fists. These are simply ideas/designs that I'd personally add into the game.

I'd also would like to hear your own ideas! What masks/hoods would you add into Skrim SE? Would there be a mask with a special history to it? Did your mask once belong to a well-known hero or a daedric prince? I'm very excited to see what you'll come up with!

~~Sincerely, Vipermourn

This post was edited by Vipermourn at December 23, 2017 1:44 PM EST
    • 585 posts
    December 23, 2017 1:08 PM EST

These are awesome ideas, Viper! Masks are definitely a very unique headpiece. I wouldn't want to see them worm by common bandits, too common and out of place, but for mages or cultists (which I think you forgot to mention? The Cultist Mask) it'd look great.

But given Skyrim is so cold, it'd be nice to see some snood/buff replacements, probably made out of fur, that bandits in the northern reaches of the land would wear. And in Solstheim they'd definitely be thematic as protection from the dust, and could have more outlandish designs and be made of stuff like chtin or netch leather. It'd really stress the difference between the two cultures.

• 9 posts
    December 23, 2017 1:40 PM EST

Zonnonn said:

These are awesome ideas, Viper! Masks are definitely a very unique headpiece. I wouldn't want to see them worm by common bandits, too common and out of place, but for mages or cultists (which I think you forgot to mention? The Cultist Mask) it'd look great.

But given Skyrim is so cold, it'd be nice to see some snood/buff replacements, probably made out of fur, that bandits in the northern reaches of the land would wear. And in Solstheim they'd definitely be thematic as protection from the dust, and could have more outlandish designs and be made of stuff like chtin or netch leather. It'd really stress the difference between the two cultures.

The only one found on bandits would be Leather, Iron, and Steel. The rest you'd have to craft. I did forget the Cultist Mask -Which while it is cool, I feel like something's mising from the Cultist Outfit design, though I couldn't tell you what for sure. As for the fur, that did escape my line of thinking, I'll be honest. I never really paid attention to the Hide/Studded -Why is Studded Armor not in the Hide Category?!- crafting sections. I didn't add in the DLC because I was asking myself the question "Okay, I know that do the DLC you need to be at least level 20 to 30, but what if someone doesn't want to get into the DLC quests just to obtain an object?" Hence that inspired part of this. Also because I personally am focusing my attention solely on the main game for now instead of the DLC. 

This post was edited by Vipermourn at January 1, 2018 11:59 AM EST