Forums » Fallout

Blind Betrayal-WTF

• 152 posts
    December 16, 2017 12:54 PM EST

*spoilers (I guess? how old is this game anyways) 

So I finally got around to playing through the Brotherhood (always have done the Railroad XD ), I'm around level 35 roleplaying as a Science Scribe. As such I've had Paladin Danse at my side ever since I met him since his Gatling Laser I fitted him with was definitely needed and it fits the roleplay I'm going for. Then, I came to this stupid ass quest that basically forces me to have my best friend killed in the name of the Brotherhood, OR I can speech check my way out of him getting killed but instead he's now an enemy of the Brotherhood and I can't even take him back to my home base at Boston Airport. WTF Bethesda, I want my PALADIN Danse back, not this muddied "traitor" Danse that I somehow have to roleplay a reason for it to make sense for my science scribe to continue to do missions FOR THE BROTHERHOOD with an ENEMY of the Brotherhood.

Ugh.

What'd you guys think of this quest? Tell me your experience and how you justified it all

• 1441 posts
    December 16, 2017 1:04 PM EST

MaddMannatee said:

So I finally got around to playing through the Brotherhood (always have done the Railroad XD ), I'm around level 35 roleplaying as a Science Scribe. As such I've had Paladin Danse at my side ever since I met him since his Gatling Laser I fitted him with was definitely needed and it fits the roleplay I'm going for. Then, I came to this stupid ass quest that basically forces me to have my best friend killed in the name of the Brotherhood, OR I can speech check my way out of him getting killed but instead he's now an enemy of the Brotherhood and I can't even take him back to my home base at Boston Airport. WTF Bethesda, I want my PALADIN Danse back, not this muddied "traitor" Danse that I somehow have to roleplay a reason for it to make sense for my science scribe to continue to do missions FOR THE BROTHERHOOD with an ENEMY of the Brotherhood.

Ugh.

What'd you guys think of this quest? Tell me your experience and how you justified it all

Funny enough, there WAS gona be an option to get Maxson to step down, and for Nate or Nora to assume the role of Elder

• 284 posts
    December 16, 2017 6:09 PM EST

Yup. There is even voice folders in the game that showed that you could challenge Maxson outside of Danse's bunker and become Elder with Danse as your right hand man. But it was cut. There is a mod however...

• 1467 posts
    December 16, 2017 9:18 PM EST

I think my problem with the quest was simply that there weren't many options. You had to play a highly charismatic character to get out of it with Danse alive. There was no intelligence based conversation path (because Maxson seems like the sort of bloke who could be reasoned with), no completed way to complete the quest with violence (that path Chris mentioned seems interesting), and so on and so forth. Hell, even a stealth-based way to complete the quest would be interesting, smuggling Danse out through a rather difficult to find back exit which means both of you are enemies of the Brotherhood, but alive. 

I actually did kind of like the quest though, the idea of it was pretty good, I just would've prefered if there were more options 

• 152 posts
    December 16, 2017 11:57 PM EST

I actually saw that on the wiki earlier today, can't believe they didn't keep that in the game. Would've been awesome. 

Dragonborn I think you make a great point, they made the illusion of having "options" by basically just having a bunch of different paths going to the same goal (Danse dying) but what they should have done is given entirely different approaches with very unique results. A missed opportunity like always

• 69 posts
    December 17, 2017 12:27 AM EST

MaddMannatee said:

I actually saw that on the wiki earlier today, can't believe they didn't keep that in the game. Would've been awesome. 

Dragonborn I think you make a great point, they made the illusion of having "options" by basically just having a bunch of different paths going to the same goal (Danse dying) but what they should have done is given entirely different approaches with very unique results. A missed opportunity like always

Totally agree with Madd on this point...but the real question is; Can a robot truly die :P

I thought it was a pretty good quest overall though. Not as good as it COULD'VE been.

• 203 posts
    December 17, 2017 5:13 AM EST

FlamezSword said:

MaddMannatee said:

Totally agree with Madd on this point...but the real question is; Can a robot truly die :P

I thought it was a pretty good quest overall though. Not as good as it COULD'VE been.

Well, 3rd gen Synths aren't robots to begin with. They are clones with a brain control module inserted into their brain when they're assembled (from cloned body parts). So, yes I would say that they can die and that death would be as permanent for them as it is for other humans.

But back to the topic at hand; a somewhat disappointing outcome for a very interesting idea. Personally, I wouldn't have liked the option they didn't add to the final version of the game. Maxson makes for a very imposing leader fo the brotherhood and it would have felt completely wrong to usurp his role. That said, I would have loved to see more options, as Deebs proposes, related to different skill sets. Which I think (despite its many flaws) New Vegas still did best.

• 152 posts
    December 17, 2017 12:41 PM EST

I think we can all agree that this quest is simply a shining example of the dissappointingly one-dimensional approach to roleplay that Bethesda decided to implement for this game. Hopefully they'll learn from this so our 8 year wait for the next installment won't be rewarded with another "one-way roleplay" Fallout game. *sigh*

• 122 posts
    December 22, 2017 9:25 AM EST
    Nah. It’ll probably be even more “samey”. They seem to prefer their open-ended stuff in Elder Scrolls and get specific in Fallout.
    • 152 posts
    December 23, 2017 10:55 AM EST

Mercurias said: Nah. It’ll probably be even more “samey”. They seem to prefer their open-ended stuff in Elder Scrolls and get specific in Fallout.
    I'm curious as to whether or not there might be a specific reason for this, like if the lack of fantasy in Fallout contributes to it's more narrow roleplay

• 8 posts
    January 8, 2018 11:36 AM EST

MaddMannatee said:

Ugh.

I'm so glad you posted this.  I'm just playing for the first time and came to this quest yesterday.

To start, I play on PC and PS4 depending on where I want to do my gaming, lol.  The PC version had Maxson walking up and over the hill giving me no way to respond to the dialog.  I chased him, but he got away.  When I came back to where Danse was supposed to be, all I saw was his corpse!  Google and several re-loads to the rescuse.  I had to do some weird thing with the ~ key, stand in front of Maxon so he couldn't get away, and had my discussion with him on why Danse was not gonna get his fine ass killed by me, or anyone else that day!  I tried several things including killing Maxson (I've always liked his coat) but Danse always died.  The ~ thing was the only way to get an acceptable ending for me.

Which brings me to my delemma.  I want to go with the Railroad ending but I want to keep Danse as a companion.  I have him all set up at Red Rocket with tons of defense and the cushiest furnishings I could craft for when he isn't off bailing my sorry ass out of trouble.  But if I complete the Railroad ending, what happens with Danse?  I think I read somewhere that he's no longer available as a companion if I take the Railroad route.  I'm just steamed enough to really hate the Brotherhood at this point and the Minutemen are just ho hum.

Anyway, excellent timing on the question and I'm glad to know there are others out there just playing for the first time as well.

• 8 posts
    January 8, 2018 11:50 AM EST

Mega-Dragonborn-of-Doom (1921) said:

I actually did kind of like the quest though, the idea of it was pretty good, I just would've prefered if there were more options 

I have to agree.  It was one of those jaw-dropping quests that I was completely unprepared for.  But we needed a few more options other than killing him or having him be an enemy.  I took him with me to do the Graygarden quest and got mauled by Vertibirds in transit.  Wasn't pretty.