Forums » The Lounge

TV Chat: Game of Thrones

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    July 24, 2017 12:02 PM EDT
    I'm late to the party this year, but better later than never right? Use this topic to post your impressions on the new Game of Thrones episodes, on the quality of the adaptation, to bitch about the lack of quality of some things (all-things Dorne, right? Or on the never failing saviour Daenerys The Hypocrite) and theories and what-not.

Now I'll just copy and paste the spoiler warning for the old topic because I'm lazy and I hate to write on fookin touch screens.

Before you get commenting, however, I'd like to ask you to post a spoiler warning before your comment and if you want to talk about something in the books also put up a book spoiler warning. I also advise you to start your post with no spoilers in the first line so it doesn't show up in the Vault's activity feed.

Cheers!
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    July 24, 2017 12:53 PM EDT
    Damn it I forgot to put "S7" in the damn title, and I don't know if I can edit it.
    First of all, I'd like to recommend reading the (much better than mine) reviews posted on Quora by Kelsey L Hayes and Susan Bertolino. They are my go-to people on all things ASOIAF,
    Anyway, I'll start with some very general feelings I had towards the first episode. Then I'll talk about episode 2 later. Spoilers below:

- I liked Walder's party and the end result of it, very Game of Thronish. And although it would be a better surprise if we hadn't seen Arya kill Walder last season, that would mean we wouldn't get the TV version of Frey pie.
    - Guess who's Lord Commander? Dolorous Edd, bitch. Let us always remember it. On Bran: I felt like that mind-reading thingy was unnecessary, it felt cheap.
    - I liked the North, I feel like it's one of the strongest parts of the show due to Jon, Davos, Sansa, Tormund and Brienne. Even after considering we didn't get the Great Northern Conspiracy and all the Northern lords except Lyanna Mormont acted like dishonorable cowards (why the hell did they waste Wyman Manderly last season? Will we ever see him again?). The only other respectable northern lord we got was Small Jon Umber, and they made him side with Ramsay.
    - I'll talk about Euron once I get to episode two.
    - Maester Jim Broadbent, awesome.
    • 39 posts
    July 25, 2017 6:35 AM EDT

SPOILER WARNING

SPOILER WARNING

SPOILER WARNINGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Oh my Godddddddddddddddddd last night's episode was amazing! I wonder if Danaerys' plan will work. It seems stupid. She should just attack the Red Keep with her dragons. Her stupid idea of surrounding the city and starving them won't be as fast or as effecive (in my opinion anyways)

They should attack Casterly Rock thugh. At least that makes sense.

To be fair I am 100% on Cersei's side, because I guess I'm just an evil bastard.

Also the first episode, the bit where Samwell was cleaning the chamber pots made me cry with laughter xD

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    July 25, 2017 10:56 PM EDT
    GoT S7E2 Spoilers
    I disagree, her plan was good (it wasn't HER plan, it screamed Tyrion). As explained in the episode it's a bad idea to let her dragons loose, even if only to turn the Red Keep into an oven in an attempt to replicate the burning of Harrenhall during Aegon's conquest, as in that case the Riverlords had already joined Aegon and Harren had actually confined himself to the castle.

It would be different with Cersei: the war barely started, and she actually has the support of the Lannister's bannermen, the Crownlands and possibly some lords from the Reach (Tarly, who is now the best general in Westeros now that Stannis is dead - no matter the way they butchered Stannis's character...)

But that plan went downhill: the Dornish army is leaderless now, Dany lost the fleet that was going to take that army to King's Landing and I'm pretty sure Jaime is going to attack Highgarden soon. So now all Dany has for granted is the attack on Casterly Rock and, worse still, her army of Dothraki, Unsullied and the dragons are now her only fighting force she can really rely on. So there's no way she won't be seen as the foreign invader now, which is exactly what Tyrion was trying to avoid.

And this is where things get interesting: she may be forced to take Olenna's advice now, and go full on "dragon". Not only that, but by going full dragon she might very well start disappointing Varys and bringing back memories of the Mad King when the fires start.

It will be fun to watch Dany's fans' reaction once her "justice" gets directed to characters we care and not random slaver #97. It goes beyond me how one can see her completely in a positive light, even though the show goes to lenghts the books do not go to paint her actions as symbols of justice and "girl power".
    This post was edited by Mr. at July 25, 2017 10:56 PM EDT
    • 641 posts
    July 31, 2017 8:29 AM EDT

Missandei: Behold -Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons!

Davos: This is Jon Snow.

Er

He’s King in the North.

• 641 posts
    August 14, 2017 7:40 AM EDT

Ok so... Johan Od the bastard son of Torygg, who was sent off to join the Dawnguard as a ranger, forms a party consisting of an exiled Colovian knight who has sworn to place Karliah on the Ruby Throne. A former Thieves Guild smuggler turned Thane. A blacksmith's apprentice who works the Skyforge and is the secret bastard son of Balgruf. A Reachmen barbarian who leads the Forsworn after Madanach's death. A disgraced Imperial warrior who has recently joined the Companions along with a cleric from the Vigilints and a paladin who carries Dawnbreaker. To travel into the Forgotten Vale so that they can bring back proof that the ancient threat of Falmer Ice Vampires still exists and stop the Civil War.