Forums » The Lounge

Your Top 10 Favorite Bands

• July 22, 2017 11:34 AM EDT

@Sinistas they only a few of those bands I know. Metallica, Megadeth, Opeth, Pink Floyd, Danzig, and Type O Negative. Af for the others I will give them a listen to.

@Legion There are only three I know of on that list, those being Tech, Lamb of God, and Black Keys. I know of Mayday, but only listen to maybe one or two songs, and as for the rest never heard of them.

@Zonno So I listen to some Grime including Stormzy, and for some reason, it reminds me of Zef.

• 51 posts
    July 22, 2017 11:43 AM EDT

Black Country Communion would be right up your alley. It's got Glenn Hughes of Deep Purple/Trapeze/Black Sabbath on bass and vocals, Joe Bonamassa on guitar and vocals, Derek Sherinian of Dream Theater/Planet X/Alice Cooper/Yngwie Malmsteen/Billy Idol (what a list!), and Jason Bonham on drums.

It sounds pretty much exactly how you'd expect. Classic/hard rock, but modernised a bit. Here's one of my favorites (it's actually been my ringtone for years, haha):

This post was edited by Sinistas at July 22, 2017 11:44 AM EDT
    • 585 posts
    July 22, 2017 12:05 PM EDT

The Last Blade said:

@Zonno So I listen to some Grime including Stormzy, and for some reason, it reminds me of Zef.

Awesome, I assumed that anyone who isn't British wouldn't of heard of him, but then again he's been doing loads of collabs recently. You heard any or his early stuff or just his new album? And if you like Stormzy check out Giggs, JME and Skepta. There's probably a few more but they're the big ones. I don't know who Zef is, I assume another grime artist?

• July 22, 2017 1:33 PM EDT

@Sinistas Yeah, I have to say I enjoy their music. They will definitely be added to my playlist.

@Zonno I just Youtubed his name and listen to a couple of his new and old stuff. There were some other artists I listen to, but I can't remember right off the top of my head. Zef is the name of South African counterculture and music, the most known artist is Die Antwoord.

• 39 posts
    July 22, 2017 1:48 PM EDT
    His song with Little Mix was pretty good.
    • 585 posts
    July 22, 2017 2:29 PM EDT

The Last Blade said:

@Zonno I just Youtubed his name and listen to a couple of his new and old stuff. There were some other artists I listen to, but I can't remember right off the top of my head. Zef is the name of South African counterculture and music, the most known artist is Die Antwoord.

Oooh, now I feel silly! I never heard of him but my brother had so I guess he's pretty popular? I can see the similarities between the two definitely, but I think I prefer Stormzy :P

Blacklight said: His song with Little Mix was pretty good.

Power is the bomb mate! Catchy? Check. Good message? Check. Stormzy? Check. Stuff like this is part of why I like him, he's using his fame to spread a positive message which changes how people think of rap, grime especially as it gets a pretty bad image in Britain.

• 39 posts
    July 22, 2017 2:49 PM EDT
    Yeah it was a really good message. I wasnt so sure about Stormzys verse at first, but its grown on me. I admit Im not a fan of the opening sentences of his verse, but the rest is lit
    • 39 posts
    July 22, 2017 2:53 PM EDT
    Also have you heard It Aint Me by Selena Gomez? Its such a sad song. And it sounds really good.
    • 585 posts
    July 22, 2017 5:38 PM EDT

Yeah the first few verses didn't really flow as well as they could've if you as me, but still I thought it was a good addition. I've heard It Aint Me but to be honest Selena Gomez isn't really my favourite. Maybe I just like jumpier songs but it just doesn't do it for me *shrugs

• July 22, 2017 7:35 PM EDT

Zonnonn said:

The Last Blade said:

Oooh, now I feel silly! I never heard of him but my brother had so I guess he's pretty popular? I can see the similarities between the two definitely, but I think I prefer Stormzy :P

It would be they since it is three people, but yeah they are pretty popular. They were even in the movie Chappie.

• 87 posts
    July 22, 2017 9:41 PM EDT
    I don't know if I could give a list of my top ten bands. I'm much more into jazz and classical. I love listening to Bach, Chopin, Debussy, Ravel etc. In jazz, my favorite is probably Glen Miller, but others include count basie, duke ellington, Benny Goodman, Tony Bennett, John Coltrane, Frank Sinatra etc. I do also listen to a few bands. My favorites are Mumford and Sons and the Proclaimers. I also really like Leonard Cohen. I'm really into any kind of music, although I have a vehement distaste for rap and, this goes without saying, scream.
    • 585 posts
    July 23, 2017 6:18 AM EDT

Decumus Scotti said: I don't know if I could give a list of my top ten bands. I'm much more into jazz and classical. I love listening to Bach, Chopin, Debussy, Ravel etc. In jazz, my favorite is probably Glen Miller, but others include count basie, duke ellington, Benny Goodman, Tony Bennett, John Coltrane, Frank Sinatra etc. I do also listen to a few bands. My favorites are Mumford and Sons and the Proclaimers. I also really like Leonard Cohen. I'm really into any kind of music, although I have a vehement distaste for rap and, this goes without saying, scream.

Looks like we share some tastes man! Mumford and Sons are always a solid choice for me, there's something about rocking out to a banjo that just can't be beaten, although I prefer their earlier stuff, and they also did some collabs with an Indian artist or two a few years ago that I quite like. Frank Sinatra is also awesome, they don't call him the best singer of all time for nothing!

• 558 posts
    July 23, 2017 6:07 PM EDT

1. Arcturus - Avant-Garde *

2. Candlemass - Traditional *

3. Mayhem - Black *

4. Nekrogoblikon - Goblin *

5. Metallica - Thrash *

6. Beyond Creation - Tech Death *

7. Finntroll - Troll *

8. Death - Death *

9. Burzum - Black *

10. Venom - Motorhead ripoff 

*=metal

#1 and #3 feature my favorite drummer and musician of all time, Jan Axel Blomberg.

• July 23, 2017 8:50 PM EDT

Decumus Scotti said: I don't know if I could give a list of my top ten bands. I'm much more into jazz and classical. I love listening to Bach, Chopin, Debussy, Ravel etc. In jazz, my favorite is probably Glen Miller, but others include count basie, duke ellington, Benny Goodman, Tony Bennett, John Coltrane, Frank Sinatra etc. I do also listen to a few bands. My favorites are Mumford and Sons and the Proclaimers. I also really like Leonard Cohen. I'm really into any kind of music, although I have a vehement distaste for rap and, this goes without saying, scream.

I can't say much about Classical just because I personally don't like it, but you did mention some good composers. As for the Jazz again you mentioned a lot of great artists, and since you have Frank Sinatra on there I know a person who would be pleased with that for he is his favorite singer of all time.

• July 23, 2017 8:53 PM EDT

John Goblikon said:

1. Arcturus - Avant-Garde *

2. Candlemass - Traditional *

3. Mayhem - Black *

4. Nekrogoblikon - Goblin *

5. Metallica - Thrash *

6. Beyond Creation - Tech Death *

7. Finntroll - Troll *

8. Death - Death *

9. Burzum - Black *

10. Venom - Motorhead ripoff 

*=metal

#1 and #3 feature my favorite drummer and musician of all time, Jan Axel Blomberg.

I have heard all of those bands, and I have to say Nekrogoblikon is probably one of the ones I can listen to and get a good laugh out of.

• 215 posts
    July 28, 2017 7:49 PM EDT

Rogue, you've given me a new band to check out on that list. 

1. Motley Crue.  Still remember the feeling I got when I saw the ad in Circus Magazine for their SatD album and the first time I heard it on my stereo at home.

2. Ratt.  Just think they never put out a dud album.

3. Zeppelin

4. KIX

5. Metallica

6. Van Halen

7. Judas Priest

8. Def Leppard: Would be higher..but recent releases drive them down the board

9. Cinderella: Just not enough quantity to go higher

10. AC/DC.  Love them but too many albums that don't measure up IMO.

Sabbath/Ozzy was real close, if combined they would probably be on here.  Lot's of bands with 1-2 albums that I love and are on my "must listen" list but I went with quality/quantity over just quality.

• July 28, 2017 8:27 PM EDT

Ragin Cajun said:

Rogue, you've given me a new band to check out on that list. 

1. Motley Crue.  Still remember the feeling I got when I saw the ad in Circus Magazine for their SatD album and the first time I heard it on my stereo at home.

2. Ratt.  Just think they never put out a dud album.

3. Zeppelin

4. KIX

5. Metallica

6. Van Halen

7. Judas Priest

8. Def Leppard: Would be higher..but recent releases drive them down the board

9. Cinderella: Just not enough quantity to go higher

10. AC/DC.  Love them but too many albums that don't measure up IMO.

Sabbath/Ozzy was real close, if combined they would probably be on here.  Lot's of bands with 1-2 albums that I love and are on my "must listen" list but I went with quality/quantity over just quality.

Not a bad band on that list, though I couldn't help to notice there are five or six Hair Metal bands on there, not that is a bad thing. Also, for my list I just went bands I could listen to over and over and hardly get bored of them.

• 9 posts
    January 16, 2018 11:11 AM EST

1. Creature Feature (Look up "Greatest Show On Earth" or my personal favorite, "Dem Bones")

2. Disturbed (First band I listened to of the heavy metal/hard rock genre that was modern)

3. Voltaire =The Gothic Singer= (The man who made "When You're Evil" and "Brains" as well as a few other songs I enjoy.)

4. Three Days Grace (As someone who frequently dealt with emotional and mental issues throughout school, this band is the one that I had no shame in singing a song outloud.)

5. Metallica (Grew up on this and AC/DC, Twisted Sister, and a few other bands.)

6. AC/DC (Good songs, didn't realize just how sexual a lot of their songs were until I grew up. "Highway To Hell" and "Shoot To Thrill" remain my favorite songs however)

7.  Bullet For My Valentine (Temper Temper fits so many scenarios.)

8. Powerwolf (Really nothing to say on this one. Interesting concept.)

9.  Set It Off (Christmas arson has never been so much fun.)

10. Panic At The Disco (No, not "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" but "Emperor's New Clothes". Just keeps me pumped up for some reason to clean.)

• 197 posts
    February 6, 2018 11:01 PM EST

1. Alt-J

2. Manchester Orchestra

3. Glass Animals

4. Saint Motel

5. The Eagles

6. Pink Floyd

7. Hozier

8. The Lumineers

9. The Head and the Heart

10. Kaleo

I tried to do this off the top of my head, so of course, the list will change tomorrow. :)