Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Most Powerful Mortal Character in The Elder Scrolls?

• 278 posts
    June 27, 2017 7:15 AM EDT

Okay. This is a big one. I've wanted to do this ever since I became Sheogorath in Oblivion, during the Shivering Isles DLC. I've always wanted to know - who's the most powerful mortal character in the Elder Scrolls, canon, of course. This is a fairly simple topic. State your opinion, and a reason for it. Feel free to argue/disagree over an idea but obviously - no condescending stuff. I've got a few options to start off the argueathon. 

One: The Vestige - From ESO: So yes, ESO is around as canon as the lamborghini I own (as in, a load of bullshit) but the Vestige is no pushover. He's immortal, respawning at wayshrines whenever he cares. He made Molag Bal his bitch, and he literally has an entire army of him, millions and millions! However, he's got a few problems - One, he can't stop fighting himself! He's too busy screwing around fighting versions of himself in Cyrodiil to actually do anything, as well as the fact that he can't decide his alliance. Otherwise, he'd be pretty powerful.

Two: The Champion of Cyrodiil, Sheogorath, The Hero of Kvatch - From ES:IV Oblivion: Obviously, he's in consideration here - not only at the end of Shivering Isles (all DLC is canon, remember) does he become a Daedric Prince - who are more powerful than Dragonborn, as Hermaeus Mora is able to kill Miraak - he also - well, Martin does - fights back the hordes of Oblivion, as well as defeating Mehrunes Dickgon. He also becomes a Knight of the Nine, and is still Sheogorath in Skyrim - Oh, I was there for the whole sordid affair! The fox, severed head, and oh, the cheese! - (not sure that's the exact line, I may be wrong) but he is (maybe) still the Hero?

Anyway, what are your ideas? I didn't choose the Last Dragonborn - he goes without saying!! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

• 288 posts
    June 27, 2017 7:24 AM EDT

If we're talking about game protagonists - probably the one from Skyrim.

The Vestige is very powerful only for a short period of time - while he's under the Amulet of Kings spell against Bal. After he regains his soul he's just a very experienced and skilled hero, but nothing more.

• 649 posts
    June 27, 2017 8:01 AM EDT
    Shalidor, Zurin Arctus, Mannimarco, Marukh, Divayth Fyr, Frandar Hunding, Divad the Singer, Cyrus the Restless, Tiber Septim, Rynandor the Bold, Jagar Tharn, Wulfharth, Mane, Pelinal, Umaril, Azra Nightwielder, Neloth, Iachesis, Ganus Valerion, Moraelyn, Alessia, Reman.

Why? Because obvious reasons.
    • 284 posts
    June 27, 2017 8:04 AM EDT

I'd say the Nerevarine, he single handedly brought about the fall of the Tribunal, who are living gods. And while he will live forever after the events of TES 3, he can be killed, so he is not truly immortal.

• 288 posts
    June 27, 2017 8:06 AM EDT

The Lorc of Flowers said: Shalidor, Zurin Arctus, Mannimarco, Marukh, Divayth Fyr, Frandar Hunding, Divad the Singer, Cyrus the Restless, Tiber Septim, Rynandor the Bold, Jagar Tharn, Wulfharth, Mane, Pelinal, Umaril, Azra Nightwielder, Neloth, Iachesis, Ganus Valerion, Moraelyn, Alessia, Reman. Why? Because obvious reasons.

Lol, that's exactly why I asked if the answers are confined only to player characters or not.

• 140 posts
    June 27, 2017 9:37 AM EDT

When it comes to Protaganists, I'd say the Dragonborn is probably the most powerful of the lot, followed by the Nerevarine, then the Champion of Cyrodiil. The DB's got his Dragon Soul and Shouts and all that, the Nerevarine managed to take out the Tribunal and Dagoth Ur (Not to mention whatever havoc he may have caused in Akavir), while the Champion of Cyrodiil just closed some gates (I jest, of course :P).

If we're going with all mortals, though (Which is what I assume), then I'm a bit less sure. I'd say Divayth Fyr's pretty powerful (He has to have some power to live 4,000+ years), though there may be someone better in Lore. They'd almost certainly need to have some magical competence, which would make me think of Shalidor or whoever founded the Psijic Order. Mannimarco, perhaps? Or maybe one of the Sload? I really don't know.

• 1467 posts
    June 27, 2017 9:54 AM EDT

Eh, really I'd say the Champion is the most powerful out of the main chacters but that's burely based off of the whole, Shivering Isles/Becomes Sheogorath thingy that he's got going on and that technically disqualifies him (if not he's basically just Martin's terrible butler). Otherwise yeah, The Nerevarine kicks total ass, though to be fair we'll have to see what happens with the LDB, if he gets Greybeard level Shouting he's going to be terrifying (and why shouldn't he really?).

As for, just any character. Hmm, my bet would definitely have to go with either Divayth Fyr for pretty much the same reasons that Caesar mentioned, the guy is the oldest living person in known history (I believe...) and travels through worlds seemingly at ease, at least he talks about it casually which isn't even something that all the gods can boast about. Of course Mannimarco could be as powerful, he is pretty insane in a lot of ways and seems to be able to reanimate at a level that just far outstrips everything else (including being able to reanimate corpses in completley different parts of the world), and I had another one. Other then that, I guess anyone who's caused a Dragon Break just for the sheer level of time fuckery that they've been involved with, I mean at times that's involved breaking apart (or trying to) Gods, becoming a god and shattering just everything. So, you know...Dragon Breaks.

Man there are a lot of people who do things that would be considered overpowered and broken in just about any other game now that I think about it...

• 273 posts
    June 27, 2017 9:58 AM EDT

Heimskr of course.

• 585 posts
    June 27, 2017 10:07 AM EDT

Mortiferous said:

Heimskr of course.

Damn you, Morty, I just snorted with laughter in the middle of a lesson and now everyone's looking at me funny!

This post was edited by Zonnonn at June 27, 2017 10:11 AM EDT
    • 273 posts
    June 27, 2017 10:09 AM EDT

Zonnonn said:

Mortiferous said:

Heimskr of course.

Damn you, Morty, I just snorted with laughter in the middle of a lesson and now everyone's looking at me funny!

I will not apologise for the truth, hail our lord and saviour!

• 585 posts
    June 27, 2017 10:13 AM EDT

Mortiferous said:

I will not apologise for the truth, hail our lord and saviour!

The truth? Pfft, Nazeem could run rings around him, or anyone else for that matter. He goes to the Cloud District dammit!

• 273 posts
    June 27, 2017 10:15 AM EDT

Zonnonn said:

Impossible, Nazeem is dead in everyone's game. Don't lie.

• 585 posts
    June 27, 2017 10:22 AM EDT

Mortiferous said:

Impossible, Nazeem is dead in everyone's game. Don't lie.

Damn.

You got me.

• 273 posts
    June 27, 2017 10:23 AM EDT

Zonnonn said:

First Zonnonn, then the world.

• 224 posts
    June 27, 2017 10:31 AM EDT

Mortiferous said:

First Zonnonn, then the world.

Good luck on that.

• 649 posts
    June 27, 2017 10:33 AM EDT
    In all honesty, I have to say that the most powerful character is/was Tiber Septim. Not because he became a god but because he was capable of becoming one, of mantling Lorkhan himself. Not only he could shout, but he was also cunning, ruthless and strong willed enough to trick Tribunal, to conquer Tamriel, to power up Numidium and then eventually bend the reality his way and become a god. One could argue that all this wouldn't be possible without Zurin and Wulfharth, but in the end...who came out on the top while the others ate dirt?
    This post was edited by Karver the Lorc at June 27, 2017 10:33 AM EDT
    • 275 posts
    June 27, 2017 1:48 PM EDT

I'd have to say the Last Dragonborn. At the height of their power the Champion Of Cyrodiil and Vestige could be considered almost immortal, and the LDB has the advantage over them as a normal mortal. However, if they aren't considered 'immortal' then I'd have to say the COC. The Vestige is probably much more powerful at their height but that lasts for a matter of minutes, whereas the COC has eternal power until they are killed.

This is also disregarding the clusterfuck that is CHIM. It isn't fair when you can just erase your enemy from existence in the blink of an eye.

This post was edited by Ebonslayer at June 27, 2017 1:50 PM EDT
    • 278 posts
    June 27, 2017 7:34 PM EDT

Well, the problem with the Last Dragonborn is that he may be incredibly powerful, he isn't a Daedric Prince! Sheogorath, or the CoC, are as, if not more, powerful than Herma-Mora, right? And Herma-Mora Not only makes you his servant, he also made Miraak his servant, and then killed him!

• 278 posts
    June 27, 2017 7:34 PM EDT

Then again, the Nerevarine was also incredibly powerful - he took out the Tribunal, wiping them off of the list as well.

• 273 posts
    June 28, 2017 10:13 AM EDT

Yes, but the Daedric Princes are immortal.

• June 29, 2017 5:50 PM EDT

The Mudcrab merchant. "You gonna buy shomethin?"

• 275 posts
    June 29, 2017 6:24 PM EDT

Another contender for most powerful mortal would be Azra Nightwielder. He controls shadow magic to its fullest and almost gave himself god-like power. It took the entire redguard army to bring him down with only a portion of that power and he still made an explosion that would make the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs look tiny.

The best part? He lived through that self destruction at the cost of his own memories.

This post was edited by Ebonslayer at June 29, 2017 6:24 PM EDT