Forums » The Lounge

The Riddles of Humility

• 743 posts
    June 15, 2017 1:09 PM EDT

This game was inspired by a recent conversation I had with one of our new hosts, currently known as Rambo Orca (for now). The rules for this game are rather straightforward. I will post a riddle, and if you get it correct, I will change my profile picture to whatever you would like until the next riddle is solved, as long as it does not violate any of the site rules. However, if you get it wrong, then I will select a profile picture for you to have for a week. One riddle will be posted daily (as long as the one on the day before was solved). If not solved in three days, the answer will be given along with a new riddle. Simple enough, eh? So who's up for a game of humility?

As a note, all of these riddles will be Elder Scrolls related. My knowledge of the lore is rather limited, so these won't be impossible to answer as long as you know a bit about the series.

Ever lurking in the shadows, we wait and watch. One day, we'll be them, with not one suspicion about. We are the truthers that lie when required. 

As a clarification for those who got the riddle wrong, the profile picture is for a week, unless you get a riddle right in between now and then. If you do, then I have to change my profile picture, and you get to change yours back. Also, you have one attempt a day for a riddle.

This post was edited by Rogue at July 8, 2017 8:02 PM EDT
    • 585 posts
    June 15, 2017 1:17 PM EDT

I'll have a crack at this, good idea Rogue!

Is it the Cyrodiil Vampyrum Order?

Lurking in the shadows is a metaphor for being inconspicuous, slowly cosying up to people before biting them.

One day, we'll be them, with not one suspicion about is a reference to their eternal goal of infiltrating the ranks of the most influential orders in Tamriel, and there'll be no suspicion because everything is now run by them. Or because their reyt subtle, either or.

Truthers that lie when required because they're politicians, and we kmow how they are.

I've never changed my photo since I joined, so I'm really dreading getting this wrong.

• 224 posts
    June 15, 2017 1:25 PM EDT

Why do you keep making fun my name changing? Do you not believe in FREEDOM!

Anyways, I am going to say the Cyrodiil Thieves Guild.

• 585 posts
    June 15, 2017 1:31 PM EDT

Rambo Orca said:

Interesting... why Cyrodiil specifically?

• 224 posts
    June 15, 2017 1:36 PM EDT

Zonnonn said:

Rambo Orca said:

Interesting... why Cyrodiil specifically?

East Empire Shipping Company, if the Thieves Guild had people in that they could smuggle in illegal substances, gold, treasure, etc. Also, they are likely the ones who want wealth and power since they come from poor backgrounds in a sense.

• 743 posts
    June 15, 2017 1:36 PM EDT

Zonnonn said:

I'll have a crack at this, good idea Rogue!

Is it the Cyrodiil Vampyrum Order?

Lurking in the shadows is a metaphor for being inconspicuous, slowly cosying up to people before biting them.

One day, we'll be them, with not one suspicion about is a reference to their eternal goal of infiltrating the ranks of the most influential orders in Tamriel, and there'll be no suspicion because everything is now run by them. Or because their reyt subtle, either or.

Truthers that lie when required because they're politicians, and we kmow how they are.

I've never changed my photo since I joined, so I'm really dreading getting this wrong.

Thanks, Zonn! I appreciate the compliment.

To start off, that was a brilliant analysis. However, I'm afraid that answer is incorrect. 

Here you are, good sir:

• 585 posts
    June 15, 2017 1:37 PM EDT

Rambo Orca said:

East Empire Shipping Company, if the Thieves Guild had people in that they could smuggle in illegal substances, gold, treasure, etc. Also, they are likely the ones who want wealth and power since they come from poor backgrounds in a sense.

Huh, now that you mention it I've always assumed the East Empire Shipping Company didn't operate in Cyrodiil, being land locked and all. But I guess they must do as its so closely connected to the Empire.

• 585 posts
    June 15, 2017 1:39 PM EDT

RogueSilver said:

Thanks, Zonn! I appreciate the compliment.

To start off, that was a brilliant analysis. However, I'm afraid that answer is incorrect. 

Here you are, good sir:

Ah damn! At leat the pictures cool. Looking forward to what this will be.

Ugh, just changed it. I feel... dirty.

This post was edited by Zonnonn at June 15, 2017 1:40 PM EDT
    • 743 posts
    June 15, 2017 1:39 PM EDT

Rambo Orca said:

I joke with my friends quite a bit. And of course, I believe in FREEDOM! 

I'm sorry to say that your answer is wrong. Here's your profile picture:

• 224 posts
    June 15, 2017 1:42 PM EDT

RogueSilver said:

Rambo Orca said:

I knew this would be it, but I will do you one better, my friend.

• 743 posts
    June 15, 2017 1:50 PM EDT

As a clarification for those who got the riddle wrong, the profile picture is for a week, unless you get a riddle right in between now and then. If you do, then I have to change my profile picture, and you get to change yours back. Also, you have one attempt a day for a riddle.

This post was edited by Rogue at June 15, 2017 1:57 PM EDT
    • 743 posts
    June 15, 2017 1:50 PM EDT

Braveheart! said:

RogueSilver said:

Rambo Orca said:

We shall see.

• 743 posts
    June 16, 2017 2:32 PM EDT

Day 2, and the riddle is still not solved.

• 585 posts
    June 16, 2017 5:35 PM EDT

RogueSilver said:

Day 2, and the riddle is still not solved.

I'm not risking it again, I can't go through the trauma of losing my picture again!

• 224 posts
    June 16, 2017 7:35 PM EDT

Is the Volkihar Vampires of Skyrim?

• 39 posts
    June 17, 2017 4:44 AM EDT
    Is is the Mythic Dawn??? :P
    • 104 posts
    June 18, 2017 3:04 PM EDT

Braveheart! said:

RogueSilver said:

Rambo Orca said:

Oh God William Wallace, what a twat, or is it mel Gibson?

• 224 posts
    June 18, 2017 3:55 PM EDT

Bonelord said:

Braveheart! said:

RogueSilver said:

Rambo Orca said:

Oh God William Wallace, what a twat, or is it mel Gibson?

I mean it is Mel Gibson playing the role of William Wallace in the best movie ever, Braveheart.

• 64 posts
    June 18, 2017 4:19 PM EDT

I'm gonna take a shot! Is it the falmer? *cringes against hope* They obviosly "lurk" under ground and want to kill everyone on the face of the earth -because we would never notice that- and they used to be snoweleves who worshipped Auri-El, hence the truth part? Yea, it's a bit far fetched but it was the first thing that sprung into mind. Either Falmer or Seekers / Lurkers... this is a hard one mate ;)

• 278 posts
    June 19, 2017 7:33 PM EDT

Uh, I'll take a go! *but please don't make my picture too bad, heroplatinum!* 

Is it the Nightingales? Lurking in the shadows could imply them hiding from sight and knowledge, protecting their kind and Nocturnal.
    We wait and watch they watch the goings on in Skyrim, as well as watching the thieves guild; they also protect them?
    One day, we'll be them, with not suspicion about could imply that one day they are a simple thief, the next day a guardian of the twilight sepulcher?
    We are the truthers that lie when required they tell the truth about their order to the thieves guild, but to everyone else they're a simple myth.

Please have pity on my heroplatinum!

*make the next one easier?* 

This post was edited by Wulfhedinn at June 19, 2017 7:34 PM EDT
    • 104 posts
    June 28, 2017 5:10 PM EDT

Is this riddle about Wolves or werewolves? lurking in shadow, beneath the moon above suspicion, the companions are true Nords, but lie about what they truly are

• 743 posts
    June 28, 2017 5:33 PM EDT

Bonelord said:

Is this riddle about Wolves or werewolves? lurking in shadow, beneath the moon above suspicion, the companions are true Nords, but lie about what they truly are

Good logic, Bonesy! I hate it when people break everything down like this and get it wrong; it makes me question my own riddle, lol. Because you got it wrong but the riddle is expired, you're free to avoid changing your profile picture. Tomorrow will be a new riddle. Also, the answer of the first riddle is the Thalmor.

• 743 posts
    June 28, 2017 5:35 PM EDT

Same for Bluedremora and GuiltyOrc Wulf as well. No obligation to change the profile pic. Not yet, anyway :p

• 34 posts
    June 28, 2017 5:55 PM EDT

RogueSilver said:

Also, the answer of the first riddle is the Thalmor.

You're gonna have to explain this one to me, because I don't get it.

• 104 posts
    June 28, 2017 6:53 PM EDT

Kool Rogue, and well done