Forums » The Lounge

The Riddles of Humility

• 1595 posts
    July 10, 2017 7:06 PM EDT

Tenebrous said:

Paws said:

D3LTAFOX said:

Wait, wait, wait!!! I wrote ll that for nothing? 

'Fraid so! :D

What's the current riddle? This one, right?  "The contested island of high-topped hills, with enough conflict to have your fill. Surrounded by waters and enemies, changing hands throughout the centuries."

Vvardenfell?

Nope! Time for an old classic...

Ah, vehk it!

• 224 posts
    July 10, 2017 7:51 PM EDT

I am going ahead and calling it Tene is the next Rogue, now.

• 284 posts
    July 10, 2017 8:10 PM EDT

Now, we're getting Elven propaganda. Join the Dominion!

• July 10, 2017 8:40 PM EDT

I think I may know this one. Is the answer the Shivering Isles?

"The contested island of high-topped hills, with enough conflict to have your fill." Mania, the northern part of the Isles, is filled with hills "Surrounded by waters and enemies, changing hands throughout the centuries." it is an island so it is always surrounded by water and the Isles is filled with all kinds of Lesser Daedra and the island changes hands every century/era when Sheo transforms into Jygglag he becomes to the new ruler.

• 1595 posts
    July 10, 2017 8:50 PM EDT
    Nameless King said:

Innit? Never knew Tenebrous was such a troll :D
    • 261 posts
    July 11, 2017 5:49 AM EDT

Paws said:
    Nameless King said:

Innit? Never knew Tenebrous was such a troll :D

A troll? Me? Never! *cackles like a madman* (which I probably am, for the record)

The Last Blade said:

I think I may know this one. Is the answer the Shivering Isles?

"The contested island of high-topped hills, with enough conflict to have your fill." Mania, the northern part of the Isles, is filled with hills "Surrounded by waters and enemies, changing hands throughout the centuries." it is an island so it is always surrounded by water and the Isles is filled with all kinds of Lesser Daedra and the island changes hands every century/era when Sheo transforms into Jygglag he becomes to the new ruler.

Nope! Your picture:

• 585 posts
    July 11, 2017 6:41 AM EDT

Hmmm, Rogue was all about the obvious, so maybe Tene is leaning a bit more towards metaphors...

Island feels like a red herring to me - it hints at isolation, or safety, and as all the obvious islands have been guessed (apart from that floaty-murder island thingy) I'd say that this is definitely a hint at something less clear. The fact that its contesed and changes hands doesn't necesarily mean war, you could say this about the title of Harbringer, everyone wants it and it does change from person to person, but through a civilised system.

High-topped hills could hint at hostility or difficulty, although that would be more like mountains in my mind, so maybe sometimes its nice but sometimes you just can't be arsed to climb up 'em.

Waters again hints at isolation to me, forced apart from the rest by an impassable barrier, but not through force, as water is seen as being quite peaceful and tranquil. Enemies could mean friendly competition or war, thats less clear.

So with all of that, I'm gonna go with the title of Emperor. Its isolating but not necesarily violent (although recent history says otherwise), difficult but rewarding, and they do live on an island, the Imperial City, which kinda goes against my point about it being a metaphor but meh.

Oh shit, it could be Akavir as well. Yeah I'm changing my mind, its Akavir.

• 261 posts
    July 11, 2017 7:54 AM EDT

Zonnonn said:

Hmmm, Rogue was all about the obvious, so maybe Tene is leaning a bit more towards metaphors...

Island feels like a red herring to me - it hints at isolation, or safety, and as all the obvious islands have been guessed (apart from that floaty-murder island thingy) I'd say that this is definitely a hint at something less clear. The fact that its contesed and changes hands doesn't necesarily mean war, you could say this about the title of Harbringer, everyone wants it and it does change from person to person, but through a civilised system.

High-topped hills could hint at hostility or difficulty, although that would be more like mountains in my mind, so maybe sometimes its nice but sometimes you just can't be arsed to climb up 'em.

Waters again hints at isolation to me, forced apart from the rest by an impassable barrier, but not through force, as water is seen as being quite peaceful and tranquil. Enemies could mean friendly competition or war, thats less clear.

So with all of that, I'm gonna go with the title of Emperor. Its isolating but not necesarily violent (although recent history says otherwise), difficult but rewarding, and they do live on an island, the Imperial City, which kinda goes against my point about it being a metaphor but meh.

Oh shit, it could be Akavir as well. Yeah I'm changing my mind, its Akavir.

Wrong! But good guess nonetheless.

• July 11, 2017 8:03 AM EDT

Ironically, I have had the pic you chose for me as my phone's wallpaper.

• 585 posts
    July 11, 2017 8:38 AM EDT

I can't even be annoyed at that picture.

• 1595 posts
    July 11, 2017 12:21 PM EDT

New day, new guess. Is it Stirk Island? Man, I'm barrel scraping.

• 261 posts
    July 11, 2017 1:52 PM EDT

Paws said:

Wrong again! So you must keep the Bosmer Baby. :)

• 1595 posts
    July 11, 2017 2:52 PM EDT
    Tenebrous said:

Paws said:

Wrong again! So you must keep the Bosmer Baby. :)

Yay! :p
    • 743 posts
    July 11, 2017 6:24 PM EDT

Solstheim?

• 261 posts
    July 12, 2017 12:25 AM EDT
    RogueSilver, wrong once again! :D
    • 585 posts
    July 12, 2017 3:55 AM EDT

Imma be unique and go with the answer I was gonna go with, the Emperor, for the reasons in my previous comment that I can't be arsed to type out again.

• 261 posts
    July 12, 2017 1:18 PM EDT

Zonnonn said:

Imma be unique and go with the answer I was gonna go with, the Emperor, for the reasons in my previous comment that I can't be arsed to type out again.

Wrong again, I'm afraid.

• 224 posts
    July 12, 2017 1:40 PM EDT

At least, tomorrow or today we will learn the answer and then try again.

• 1595 posts
    July 12, 2017 2:41 PM EDT

Another day, another guess but this one is fiendish! Zon's thinking metaphorically and I'm not sure whether to follow suit. I'll play safe and say Betnikh.

• 261 posts
    July 12, 2017 2:44 PM EDT

Paws said:

Another day, another guess but this one is fiendish! Zon's thinking metaphorically and I'm not sure whether to follow suit. I'll play safe and say Betnikh.

Bad news, Paws... You are correct! Note that it's bad news for me, because it means my reign of terror is at an end. Still, you have earned this victory, and I submit to whatever devilish image you conjure. Well guessed!

(As a side-note, if someone said Betony, I would've given them the win as well. They are, after all, the same island.)

• 1595 posts
    July 12, 2017 3:14 PM EDT

Tenebrous said:

Bad news, Paws... You are correct! Note that it's bad news for me, because it means my reign of terror is at an end. Still, you have earned this victory, and I submit to whatever devilish image you conjure. Well guessed!

(As a side-note, if someone said Betony, I would've given them the win as well. They are, after all, the same island.)

Damn. Good news is that I can get rid of the Bosmer :D

Here you are then:

• 585 posts
    July 12, 2017 3:22 PM EDT

I swear I'm gonna get one of these right one day, if it wasn't for Phil bloody knowing everything :P C'mon then P-Dog, lay it on us, and it better be drenched in metaphors, as apparently thats the only way my mind works.

• 261 posts
    July 12, 2017 3:44 PM EDT

Paws said:

Tenebrous said:

Here you are then:

And now I am FABULOUS.

• 1595 posts
    July 12, 2017 5:06 PM EDT

Tenebrous said:

Paws said:

Tenebrous said:

Here you are then:

And now I am FABULOUS.

You look great!

Zonnonn said:

I swear I'm gonna get one of these right one day, if it wasn't for Phil bloody knowing everything :P C'mon then P-Dog, lay it on us, and it better be drenched in metaphors, as apparently thats the only way my mind works.

Ok, one for you. No metaphors needed.

Born in a mushroom

Shaped by magic

My existence deemed rather tragic

My looks were my doom

But someone found room

In their heart to view me as simply fantastic.

What am I?

This post was edited by Paws at July 12, 2017 5:13 PM EDT
    • 261 posts
    July 12, 2017 6:12 PM EDT

Born in a mushroom

Shaped by magic

My existence deemed rather tragic

My looks were my doom

But someone found room

In their heart to view me as simply fantastic.

What am I?

OK, I know my reign of terror just ended, but I'm gonna go ahead and guess that one Argonian slave who became a Telvanni in ESO.