Forums » Elder Scrolls

Your Blades Team

• 168 posts
    May 11, 2017 1:10 PM EDT

Who did you choose to recruit as a Blade and why?

Like, did you choose NPCs you didn't like and just wanted out of the way/to fulfill the recruitment quest, or did you choose NPCs that would be the best-suited to function as Blades (with One-handed and Heavy Armor skills), or did you go for a collection of similar NPCs (using only companions or housecarls or hirelings, for example) because they look badass in Blades Armor?

I try to choose NPCs that would be the best-suited to function as Blades because Blades Armor in Skyrim is Heavy Armor only. This means that anyone you're looking to recruit into the Blades lacking the Heavy Armor skill tree will be at a disadvantage. Also, Blades use One-handed and Block. And unless you want Blades who cannot attack flying dragons, It’s imperative to choose recruits with Archery or Destruction. The following names listed are the most desirable followers to recruit into the Blades (Based on the criteria above):

Onmund (Male Nord Mage) - Destruction, Illusion, Heavy Armor, One-handed
    J'zargo (Male Khajiit Mage) - Destruction, Illusion, Heavy Armor, One-handed
    Uthgerd the Unbroken (Female Nord Warrior) - Heavy Armor, One-handed, Archery, block
    Celann (Male Breton Warrior) - Heavy Armor, One-handed, Archery, block
    Borgakh the Steel Heart (Female Orc Warrior) - Heavy Armor, One-handed, Archery, Sneak
    Ria (Female Imperial Warrior) - Heavy Armor, One-handed, Archery, block
    Kharjo (Male Khajiit Warrior) - Heavy Armor, One-handed, Archery, block

I recruit J’zargo, Uthgerd and Celann because they get Heavy Armor, a sword, and a shield when they join. So getting followers that match this playstyle is a good strategy. What about you? Who are your Blades recruits?

Note: Please (I repeat, PLEASE) don't post "FUCK THE BLADES, I"M ON PAARTHURNAX'S SIDE" or similar answers because it's none of my business which side do you support. Thanks.

• 694 posts
    May 11, 2017 1:44 PM EDT

HumanOfPrey said:

Who did you choose to recruit as a Blade and why?

Like, did you choose NPCs you didn't like and just wanted out of the way/to fulfill the recruitment quest, or did you choose NPCs that would be the best-suited to function as Blades (with One-handed and Heavy Armor skills), or did you go for a collection of similar NPCs (using only companions or housecarls or hirelings, for example) because they look badass in Blades Armor?

Last time I played as one of the Blades I picked mostly spellsword/mage type characters, because that's the sort of character I was playing. So Onmund, Teldryn, and J'zargo. Onmund and J'zargo have heavy as a skill, and Teldryn had one handed, so that seemed to be enough stretch for me to justify it. So I guess my answer is that when I play as a Blade, I look for NPCs that sort of match the profile at least a little and that I see my character reflected in. If that makes sense.

Note: Please (I repeat, PLEASE) don't post "FUCK THE BLADES, I"M ON PAARTHURNAX'S SIDE" or similar answers because it's none of my business which side do you support. Thanks.

Also that made me laugh. :D 

• 585 posts
    May 11, 2017 4:28 PM EDT

Huh, now that you mention it I don't think I've ever got to the stage where I could recruit followers to the Blades.

But when I do, I'm planning on Kharjo and J'zargo, because Khajiit look awesome in Blades Armour.

• 140 posts
    May 12, 2017 12:27 PM EDT

It varies a bit depending on the playthrough, but I normally end up taking J'zargo and Borgakh, plus anyone else I find (I think I recruit Lydia quite a lot).

I rarely use the two of them as actual followers, and prefer to keep the stronger ones (Such as Teldryn) as just normal followers, especially Teldryn because of his preference to Light Armour.

• 69 posts
    May 12, 2017 2:10 PM EDT

I'm pretty sure last time I played Skyrim and got to the recruitment of the blades I made the main Companions memebers (Aela, Farkas, Vilkas) part of the Blades - as was my playthrough character - and fitted them all with dragonbone/plate armor/weapons

• 278 posts
    May 16, 2017 1:04 PM EDT

My Blades team was no-one because screw the Blades! *they want to kill paarthunax* AND HE'S THE NICEST, CUTEST, OLDEST, YELLOWEST, DRAGON EVER! 

But in all honesty, my Blades team is Faendal. Just Faendal. He's all you need, apart from Kharjo, because I need a Khajiit to have my back.

This post was edited by Wulfhedinn at May 16, 2017 1:05 PM EDT