Forums » Elder Scrolls

A purrrrrfectly large problem

• 87 posts
    April 30, 2017 7:39 PM EDT
    I have a created a khajiit character for my next play through and I've run into a problem. Usually the khajiit speak in third person. Dialogue in game does not give an option for that. How do I explain that? Furthermore, I will be using the Take Notes mod and I don't feel really want to waste my time structuring my sentences like a khajiit. Any ideas how I could get past this in terms of roleplay? There's also a mod called Khajiit speak which fixes the dialogue but I don't plan on using it. Also it would not fix the journal problem.
    • 224 posts
    April 30, 2017 7:49 PM EDT

Decumus Scotti said: I have a created a khajiit character for my next play through and I've run into a problem. Usually the khajiit speak in third person. Dialogue in game does not give an option for that. How do I explain that? Furthermore, I will be using the Take Notes mod and I don't feel really want to waste my time structuring my sentences like a khajiit. Any ideas how I could get past this in terms of roleplay? There's also a mod called Khajiit speak which fixes the dialogue but I don't plan on using it. Also it would not fix the journal problem.

I have read into this problem once before but through my digging of Khajiits and stuff, but I did found a solution. One thing I read is that the Khajiit speak in the third person because they are raised that way in their homeland, so the person went on to explain that if the/your Khajiit wasn't raised by them than they wouldn't speak like them, for instance, I made a Khajiit thief that was raised an Imperial so he wouldn't talk in the third person. So I hoped that helps.

• 585 posts
    May 1, 2017 4:02 AM EDT

If you play with mods, the Khajiit Speak Dialogue Overhaul is perfect for this, and is a very highly regarded mod I believe.

But I'm not the type of guy who would solve something with a mod when there's so much RP potential there! If you feel like doing a little bit of legwork, you could write down all your responses to feel more in character, and a quick flick back to your old retorts will definitely make you feel more in character. Or even just sit at the dialogue screen for a minute or two while you think of a response.

• 261 posts
    May 1, 2017 11:04 AM EDT
    Also, as ESO shows, not all Khajiit speak in third person.
    • 6 posts
    May 3, 2017 12:25 PM EDT

Alister Dhiúltú said:

I have read into this problem once before but through my digging of Khajiits and stuff, but I did found a solution. One thing I read is that the Khajiit speak in the third person because they are raised that way in their homeland, so the person went on to explain that if the/your Khajiit wasn't raised by them than they wouldn't speak like them, for instance, I made a Khajiit thief that was raised an Imperial so he wouldn't talk in the third person. So I hoped that helps.

I agree. And if your Khajiit character's backstory has some kind of link to Elswyr, it's perfectly plausible that he/she went back to elswyr after he learned grammar from his imperial school.

• 7 posts
    May 5, 2017 11:23 AM EDT

The idea of not being from/being fully raised in Elswyr is probably the best way to address the problem. The follower mod Inigo's title character was adopted by a couple who lived in Cyrodil and grew up with the grammatical structure of the Imperials. If you'd like to explore your Elswyr roots then your character could have visited for a multitude of reasons - or they could be headed there via Skyrim.

• 168 posts
    May 11, 2017 1:18 PM EDT

Just as SmartBlueCat (the creator of Inigo) says "Speech is cultural NOT racial. It's that simple. If the Khajiit were a real race on earth, many of you would be in major trouble for racial stereotyping."

• 87 posts
    May 11, 2017 6:22 PM EDT
    HumanOfPrey said:

Just as SmartBlueCat (the creator of Inigo) says "Speech is cultural NOT racial. It's that simple. If the Khajiit were a real race on earth, many of you would be in major trouble for racial stereotyping."

Of course speech is cultural. But I assume that most khajiit come from Elsweyr and therefore the majority of them would have that regional dialect. In terms of racial stereotyping, Tamriel is different because each race does have unique properties(for example the Altmer are inherently better at magic than the khajiit).
    • 1595 posts
    May 11, 2017 6:34 PM EDT

Interestingly, in ESO we meet a Khajiit who uses the correct tenses and perspectives we do. "I am this", or "I would like to." There is an option to enquire about it, and his response was something along the lines of. "Oh, sorry. Maybe "this one" is better suited... Forgive me for not adhering to the proper speach, I am sure the Lunar Clergy would correct me were they here."

Regardless as to the actual quote, and I am gutted I didn't screencap it, it heavily implied that the Moon Priests taught this form of speech as being the correct way. I am not sure if it helps, but the Lunar Clergy of Elsewyr are very influential in the lives of the cat folk.