Forums » Fallout

Fallout 3: A trip back in time

• 215 posts
    April 22, 2017 12:10 PM EDT

So I am usually late to the parties except with TES games (which sadly have a history of gathering dust on my shelf pending a CPU upgrade or new purchase in order to get the game to run).  I've been loving FO4 and need to go back to New Vegas which I have about 12 hours on before I jumped to 4.  Now I've bought 3 and damn if I can't shoot a gun or fight to save my life (which obviously I can't).  So looking for tips or suggestions from the Fallout vets on how to actually play 3 and survive. 

This post was edited by Ragin Cajun at April 22, 2017 12:11 PM EDT
    • 284 posts
    April 23, 2017 4:26 AM EDT

Well, if you're going good with Fallout 4, then you have an idea what to do. For my first playthrugh of Fallout 3, I only concentrated on the main quest. After that, well. Have some fun. Kill a few Deathclaws.

• 113 posts
    April 23, 2017 4:27 AM EDT

I'm not much of a veteran, but the only protip I can think of is always keeping your equipment repaired.

• 215 posts
    April 23, 2017 10:17 AM EDT

I can't even shoot and kill the radroaches in the starting vault.  I don't dare step foot outside...lol.

• 152 posts
    April 23, 2017 1:41 PM EDT

Be sure to think twice about who and what you attack early game. It's good to explore obviously but if you stop too much to fight some raiders on the way to a quest target then you'll take damage, run out of medical supplies and ammo, and you'll want to pick up things to the point of encumbrance. What really helped me was taking a few breathers from questing and setting out with a pretty empty inventory to go and loot some places to then take back home and have a hefty stock of supplies. I played on harder difficulties though so I used more supplies and ammo than you might use if you play on a lower difficulty. 

Btw this is pretty important if you don't know already:  to get a free house early on (really the only house in the game) once you get to Megaton just talk to the Sheriff and disarm the bomb and he'll give you a house to store all your goodies. I'm a little late to the thread so you might've already done this but I totally missed it for most of my first playthrough. Have fun playing a classic :)

• 215 posts
    April 23, 2017 2:22 PM EDT

Nothing specific on combat?  As noted, that's the big problem.  I can't seem to shoot anything good.  4-6 shots on a radroach.  Is VATs pretty much mandatory in FO3?

• 248 posts
    April 23, 2017 5:19 PM EDT

John LeBlanc said:

Nothing specific on combat?  As noted, that's the big problem.  I can't seem to shoot anything good.  4-6 shots on a radroach.  Is VATs pretty much mandatory in FO3?

That seems odd John - have you double checked your difficulty settings, controller settings or anything else that could affect damage/aiming/etc?

• 152 posts
    April 23, 2017 7:57 PM EDT

Yeah adding onto what Motty said, that seems like a different issue. Early on you'll run into some bullet sponges like super mutant and higher level raiders but the small stuff should be going down no problem. What weapons are you using? What are your skill point levels for small guns/big guns/melee (depending on what weapon you're currently using)? Are your weapons decently repaired or is the condition bar extremely low?

• 152 posts
    April 23, 2017 7:58 PM EDT

I hope annoying hiccups like this don't deter you from enjoying the game, it really is a fun time and totally worth the patience :) 

• 215 posts
    April 23, 2017 8:05 PM EDT
    The mouse speed seems excessive. In the settings I have a turn down to minimum and it's still very fast. I might have to go in and reset on my PC and see if that affects in game.

I haven't even left the starting vote yet. I'm trying to deal with red roaches and security guards. I have a 10 mm pistol and the BB gun but honestly I'm having to go to my baseball bat most of the time. I'll have to look at my special I couldn't find anything online for recommended set ups but I think I took a repair small arms and I'm not sure about the last one maybe medic.
    • 152 posts
    April 23, 2017 10:41 PM EDT

oh wow, difficulty killing in the vault? Hm well it's not necessarily a cake walk but it shouldn't be too hard to get through. The 10mm should have plenty of power to take down the security guards, and then just use the bat for the radroaches

• 215 posts
    April 24, 2017 8:37 AM EDT

Yeah, just seems hard to aim correctly.  I think I'm going to restart, see if I can find some ideas on point placement and skill selections and dial my mouse down.  It's fine on my PC and other games but even with the low speed selected in FO3 it's blazing...much faster than anything else I'm doing.