Forums » Elder Scrolls

What is your Top Skyrim location

• 104 posts
    March 24, 2017 6:48 AM EDT

Ok Vault dwellers what is your top Skyrim location and why? mine? well that's easy Shriekwind Bastion yes I know there is not very much inside it, minimal treasure and a word of Power for Elemental Fury it, it's location that gets it for me perched high above Falkreath it totally dominates the landscape and serves as a constant reminder of days past.

And please, feel free to leave a photograph or print of your favourite location.

This post was edited by Bonelord at March 24, 2017 9:13 AM EDT
    • 140 posts
    March 24, 2017 7:17 AM EDT

Does Solstheim count? If so, mine would have to be the southern ashlands. I played Skyrim (And Dragonborn) before Morrowind, so stepping foot in Raven Rock was my first glimpse of the ash. At that time, I remember liking how much it differed from the usual snowy/forested setting of the base game, not to mention all the new fauna anf flora (If only it had guars...).

In Skyrim itself, though, I'd probably have to say Riften's my favorite. It might not be the most bizarre place in the game, but I've always liked the feel of it. The sewers, the run down docks, the meadery, and it just has a general shadiness to it. It could do without the Black-Briars, but otherwise it's my favorite town (And location) in Skyrim.

• 585 posts
    March 24, 2017 7:59 AM EDT

Markarth is undoubtedly my favourite city, the different levels and winding streets make it seem enormous (especially compared to other cities, which feel tiny), the random dots of bronze scattering the harsh stone is amazing visually. And given the hostile locals and terrain of the Reach, it feels like a fortress, a bastion of civilisation carved into the land.

• 6 posts
    March 24, 2017 8:38 AM EDT

Blackreach : Giant glowing blue mushroom, lots of ruins, infested with creepy creatures. It tought I was playing Metroid Prime for a second.

Solstheim : Didn't play Morrowind, didn't know what to expect, didn't disappoint.

Soul Cairn, Forgotten Vale, Aetherial Forge : Dawnguard is a good DLC.          

Whiterun : Whiterun feels like home.

College of Winterhold : A big magical castle, what's not to like ?

Embershard Mine and Bleak Falls Barrow : Still remember the first time I did those 2 dungeons.

Broken Oar Groto, Lost Knife Hideout, Pinewatch : 3 fun dungeons.

This post was edited by Kopo Copo Qopi at March 25, 2017 7:14 PM EDT
    • 694 posts
    March 24, 2017 10:49 AM EDT

Good question, Bones! Tough one to answer! I've always had a squishy spot for the Falkreath area, in particular Half Moon Mill. I'm not even sure why I like it so much. 

I guess because it's so serene. Like if I were going to live in Skyrim, I'd have a perfectly happy existence running a mill in it's southerly reaches. 

• 104 posts
    March 24, 2017 11:08 AM EDT

Caesar said:

Does Solstheim count? If so, mine would have to be the southern ashlands. I played Skyrim (And Dragonborn) before Morrowind, so stepping foot in Raven Rock was my first glimpse of the ash. At that time, I remember liking how much it differed from the usual snowy/forested setting of the base game, not to mention all the new fauna anf flora (If only it had guars...).

In Skyrim itself, though, I'd probably have to say Riften's my favorite. It might not be the most bizarre place in the game, but I've always liked the feel of it. The sewers, the run down docks, the meadery, and it just has a general shadiness to it. It could do without the Black-Briars, but otherwise it's my favorite town (And location) in Skyrim.

Yes my friend Solstiem counts, and I see what you mean its just beautiful, Riften is your top location? great, why mate?

• 104 posts
    March 24, 2017 11:10 AM EDT

Edana said:

Good question, Bones! Tough one to answer! I've always had a squishy spot for the Falkreath area, in particular Half Moon Mill. I'm not even sure why I like it so much. 

I guess because it's so serene. Like if I were going to live in Skyrim, I'd have a perfectly happy existence running a mill in it's southerly reaches. 

I really get where your coming from Edana and what makes that place a bit intriguing is it's occupied by vampires, a peaceful, tranquil place with a hidden history perhaps?

• 295 posts
    March 24, 2017 11:18 AM EDT

Bonelord said:

Edana said:

I really get where your coming from Edana and what makes that place a bit intriguing is it's occupied by vampires, a peaceful, tranquil place with a hidden history perhaps?

Well, let's look at lore. Half moon mill is very close to Shriekwind Bastion, which is named after shrieking winds, which is derived from the legend of Lamae Bal, whose screams upon being raped by Molag Bal became the Shriekwinds. Vampires are intrinsically tied to the location. While it says she was a Nede woman, Tamriel was still a young place when Lamae Bal was made, it could well be she was raped somewhere nearby. 

There's your hidden history. :D At least I think. 

My favorite location is hard to say. Sometimes sunrise or sunset over the sea of ghosts gets me to get off my horsie and just stare. All the lands of Skyrim have their beauty and charm. 

• 743 posts
    March 24, 2017 11:46 AM EDT

The Rift and Solitude are a tie. The Rift as a whole is simply gorgeous, and the city reminds me of Lake Town from The Hobbit in terms of visuals. I only like the city of Solitude itself, it's reminiscent of a traditional medieval city mixed with a bit of Nordic culture. 

• 152 posts
    March 24, 2017 2:17 PM EDT

High Hrothgar/Throat of the World, I wish I could build a house up there; what a view indeed. Also, I rather enjoy the snowy, glacial wastes in the north eastern region. Haven't played in awhile so I don't remember specifically what prevalent places are there, but I just love the landscape of glaciers that are inhabited by nothing but Sabre Cats and Frost Trolls

• 284 posts
    March 24, 2017 3:27 PM EDT

Riverwood. It's the first village you discover and it has everything you need. If I lived in Skyrim, my home would be here.

• 1595 posts
    March 25, 2017 2:02 AM EDT

Solitude. Oblivion's Knights of the Nine dlc did more to get me into the setting of TES than anything else, and within that questline and book of the same name we learn about the War of the Red Diamond and how Potema's ambitions led to the dissolution of the knighthood as they lined up on either side against each other.

At the time I was eager to learn more about this civil war, and that led me to learn more about the Wolf Queen. How could this woman defeat the forces of Skyrim and High Rock so handily and come so, so close to victory? How could she manage to fight on alone for a decade after victory was a long-lost cause? If there was one passage that captured my mind back then, it was this from The Wolf Queen:

Potema continued to fight a losing battle, her area of influence dwindling and dwindling until only her kingdom of Solitude remained in her power. She summoned Daedra to fight for her, had her Necromancer resurrect her fallen enemies as undead warriors, and mounted attack after attack on the forces of her brothers, the Emperor Cephorus Septim I and King Magnus of Lilmoth. Her allies began leaving her as her madness grew, and her only companions were the zombies and skeletons she had amassed over the years. The kingdom of Solitude became a land of death. Stories of the ancient Wolf Queen being waited on by rotting skeletal chambermaids and holding war plans with Vampiric generals terrified her subjects.

This concept art by Ray Lederer is close to the Solitude of my imagination, and this quote from Styrr, the city's Arkayn priest, still captures the essence of my early exploration into TES history:

"This city has a long history of madness and murder. The Wolf Queen... Pelagius... The death of High King Torygg... And now, public executions. My books tell the stories. Have no doubt - as pretty as its streets are, as jovial as the bards may be... darkness is drawn to Solitude."

That Solitude also happens to be the centre of Imperial power in the empire's most northerly province is a happy coincidence.

Edit: I guess that it is by the sea plays a role too. In-game, I like to jump onto the roof of Proudspire Manor and watch the sunrise.

This post was edited by Paws at March 25, 2017 5:03 AM EDT
    • 104 posts
    March 25, 2017 7:00 AM EDT

Phil said:

Solitude. Oblivion's Knights of the Nine dlc did more to get me into the setting of TES than anything else, and within that questline and book of the same name we learn about the War of the Red Diamond and how Potema's ambitions led to the dissolution of the knighthood as they lined up on either side against each other.

At the time I was eager to learn more about this civil war, and that led me to learn more about the Wolf Queen. How could this woman defeat the forces of Skyrim and High Rock so handily and come so, so close to victory? How could she manage to fight on alone for a decade after victory was a long-lost cause? If there was one passage that captured my mind back then, it was this from The Wolf Queen:

Potema continued to fight a losing battle, her area of influence dwindling and dwindling until only her kingdom of Solitude remained in her power. She summoned Daedra to fight for her, had her Necromancer resurrect her fallen enemies as undead warriors, and mounted attack after attack on the forces of her brothers, the Emperor Cephorus Septim I and King Magnus of Lilmoth. Her allies began leaving her as her madness grew, and her only companions were the zombies and skeletons she had amassed over the years. The kingdom of Solitude became a land of death. Stories of the ancient Wolf Queen being waited on by rotting skeletal chambermaids and holding war plans with Vampiric generals terrified her subjects.

This concept art by Ray Lederer is close to the Solitude of my imagination, and this quote from Styrr, the city's Arkayn priest, still captures the essence of my early exploration into TES history:

"This city has a long history of madness and murder. The Wolf Queen... Pelagius... The death of High King Torygg... And now, public executions. My books tell the stories. Have no doubt - as pretty as its streets are, as jovial as the bards may be... darkness is drawn to Solitude."

That Solitude also happens to be the centre of Imperial power in the empire's most northerly province is a happy coincidence.

Edit: I guess that it is by the sea plays a role too. In-game, I like to jump onto the roof of Proudspire Manor and watch the sunrise.

Great choice Phil, your knowledge of TES Lore never ceases to amaze me my friend, and that concept art is beautiful

• 104 posts
    March 25, 2017 7:03 AM EDT

Lissette Long-Chapper said:

Bonelord said:

Edana said:

Well, let's look at lore. Half moon mill is very close to Shriekwind Bastion, which is named after shrieking winds, which is derived from the legend of Lamae Bal, whose screams upon being raped by Molag Bal became the Shriekwinds. Vampires are intrinsically tied to the location. While it says she was a Nede woman, Tamriel was still a young place when Lamae Bal was made, it could well be she was raped somewhere nearby. 

My favourite location is hard to say. Sometimes sunrise or sunset over the sea of ghosts gets me to get off my horse and just stare. All the lands of Skyrim have their beauty and charm. 

Oh no, I cannot believe I hadn't considered Lamea Bal and her unfortunate history, great catch Ed.

• March 25, 2017 7:48 AM EDT

1) Riverwood. I think it's Faendal says that there's beauty here unmatched in all of Skyrim. The fast running little river there reminds me of the little rivers of the Peak District in the UK, one of my favourite parts of the real world.

2) Darkwater Crossing. Partly for it's beauty and isolation. And because back when I was a noob, and didn't know my way around Skyrim, I thought you had to go through there to get to High Hrothgar. Fun times.

• 1595 posts
    March 25, 2017 1:44 PM EDT

Bonelord said:

Great choice Phil, your knowledge of TES Lore never ceases to amaze me my friend, and that concept art is beautiful

Ha! thanks Boney :) All I did was read a few poxy books :D

Lissette Long-Chapper said:

My favorite location is hard to say. Sometimes sunrise or sunset over the sea of ghosts gets me to get off my horsie and just stare. All the lands of Skyrim have their beauty and charm. 

Lis, that's brilliant! Head-canoned :D

• 25 posts
    March 25, 2017 7:07 PM EDT

*Warning: Dawnguard spoilers*

The Forgotten Vale and related areas in Touching the Sky. The quest itself is one of the most adventerous quests I've completed due to its isolated nature and because it takes you to many areas different than any other encountered in Skyrim. Also unique in the Forgotten Vale and related locations are the methods of travel found there, specifically the Paragon Portals and the Wayshrines.

The route to the Forgotten Vale starts out in a typical cave like dungeon and dark passageway. This path eventually leads to a vast cavern with plants and animals unlike those previously seen, such as gleamblossom plants, poison blooms, Vale Sabre Cats and Vale Deer. The forested area of the Vale is mysterious with its sometimes foggy atmosphere. Of course there are the two dragons that emerge from the frozen lake found within the Vale which leads to an epic battle. Though the Falmer huts within the icy cave of the glacial crevice are much like those seen in other areas of Skyrim, those found outside are like no other with the zig-zagging bone bridges connecting them and towering high above a raging river. The unique shellbugs and frost giants are found only in the Forgotten Vale and related areas.

Within the Forgotten Vale is the Chantry of Auri-El, the courtyard with its imposing statue inspiring a sense of awe and reverence. The Inner Sanctum itself is reminiscent of a hallowed museum with the statue like frozen Falmer surrounding the Shrine of Auri-El. The Temple Balcony found outside of the Inner Sanctum sits high amidst the clouds and gives a breathtaking view of the surrounding area.

Naturally an intriguing aspect of these locations are the NPCs encountered there which are not found anywhere else in Skyrim.

This post was edited by GailOlm at March 25, 2017 10:59 PM EDT
    • 1595 posts
    March 25, 2017 10:51 PM EDT

The Forgotten Vale is stunning and the music is magnificent, good choice Gail :) The book quests to get the four books translated remain one of my favourite RP moments of all time. Exploring the Vale, finding the books, then reading the translated texts in the College of Winterhold during my first Dawnguard playthrough is something I need to do again.

• 22 posts
    March 29, 2017 9:05 AM EDT
    Kagrenzel, it's such a fun and unique dungeon yet it's so out of the way that I feel like many people don't get to try it and have fun with it. If you haven't done it yet I highly suggest that you do. It's on the very east side of Skyrim (Of course located on a mountain) and has an amazing view if you go around it.