Forums » Elder Scrolls

Race Stereoyotypes

• 39 posts
    March 5, 2017 1:56 PM EST

Hello, people of the Vault! I was just wondering, because we all do it, no-matter whether we realise it or not, have stereyotypical ideas. I was just wondering what your stereotype class for each race is, e.g High Elf = Mage.

I think:

Orc: Beserker

Imperial: One-Handed Warrior

Altmer: Pure Mage

Breton: Battlemage

Bosmer: Archer (an obvious one)

Dark Elf: Nightblade

Argonian: Assassin

Khajiit: Assassin (daggers/unarmed)

Redguard:Dual-Wielding soldier

Nord: Light-Armor, Two-handed warrior

This may be kind of random, but I think it would be interesting to see what you think all the same.

• 140 posts
    March 5, 2017 2:01 PM EST

All Dunmer are racist is a bit of a stereotype. Only a s'wit-headed scale-back N'wah would have you believe otherwise!

• 261 posts
    March 5, 2017 2:34 PM EST

Here are what I'd consider the 'typicals' of each race. Note that I actually don't like to generalize the races like this, but I figure it's a good excercise. Also, you may notice my classes are a bit unorthodox, but that's generaly how I see 'em. So...

-Argonian: Assassin/Healer (Male+Female): Lizard people who are actually usually friendly. Just don't try and enslave them, or otherwise piss them off.

-Breton: Witchunter/Knight (Male), Witchunter (Female): The typical fantasy race, full of politics and intrigue. And also innuendos.

-Dark Elf: Spellsword/Assassin (Male), Nightblade/Assassin (Female): Pretty aloof and distant, however they do value family a lot.

-High Elf: Mage (Male+Female): They can be real bastards, but they're usually pretty smart.

-Imperial: Knight/Pilgrim (Male), Knight/Battlemage (Female): Great politicians and decent warriors, if a bit full of themselves.

-Khajiit: Acrobat/Monk (Male+Female): Fun-loving cat people with an alarming affinity for theft and skooma.

-Nord: Barbarian (Male), Bard/Warrior (Female): Hardcore people who live in the snow and drink way too much.

-Orc: Warrior (Male+Female): Clannish and brutal, but they do have a lot of depth to them.

-Redguard: Spellsword/Knight (Male), Rogue/Knight (Female): Desert people who *really* love their blades.

-Wood Elf: Thief/Archer (Male+Female): Pretty smart as well, though they love their tricks and pranks.

• 700 posts
    March 5, 2017 3:31 PM EST

Nords are xenophobic apes that will never advance as long as they cling to their "old ways" and the Dunmer are somehow even worse. Altmer are only superior to the other races in their grandiose self-image and perceived right to tell others what to do. Bosmer are tree-hugging, cannibalisitc trolls that get high and play target practice all day. And speaking of drugs, the Khajiit. Elsweyr is a giant litterbox filled with drugs and illegally-obtained goods and the Khajiit basically just drag their stink into the rest of the world. Know what else stinks? Orcs. Big green pigs so stuck in the dark ages that they still kill their own family for authority and answer to a god whose central tenet is "STRENGTH GOOD. WEAK BAD. SMAAAASH." Redguards prance around in skirts and twirl swords, Bretons are the bastard offspring of mer and man and somehow still more boring than any other race, Argonains are swamp-dwelling, hist-sucking missteps of evolution, and Imperials are Roman bureaucrat gods amongst men who show what it means to be properly civilized. 

• 122 posts
    March 5, 2017 5:04 PM EST

I would probably say:

Nord: Berserker, due to their light armor and heavy weapon focus. Culture too, now that I think about it.

Dunmer: Nightblade, with their focus on magic, alchemy, sneak, and light armor.

Altmer: Pure Mage. They get nothing but mage perks.

Breton: Cleric or Warlock. More gifted as a subtle sort of mage than an Altmer, but lacking in the Altmer's raw power.

Imperial: Spellblade, definitely. They're a mix between heavy fighter and caster based on their stats, and they're a practical enough race that diversifying their skill set would suit them well.

Bosmer: Rangers. Their talent for sneaking, sniping, and alchemy makes them uniquely suited to raining damage down on opponents from a safe location.

Redguard: Redguards would actually make excellent Witchhunters with their overall combat and magical abilities. One of my favorite races to play.

Argonians: Thieves. Their skills are tailor-made for being able to sneak into someplace and escape when things get nasty.

Khajiit: Definitely Assassins and traders. More 'Rogue' than truly evil, though.

Orismer: The heavily armored warrior to the Nord's berserker, Orcs are as talented in smithing and enchanting as they are in combat, which makes them fantastically deadly to face on the battlefield. I'm honestly surprised Nords don't have more respect for Orcs. They have a lot of things in common, once you strip away the Skandanavian good looks and the tusks. 

• 1467 posts
    March 5, 2017 5:14 PM EST

Orc: I see Orcs as pure defensive warriors rather than anything offensive

Imperial: A stereotypical Imperials is a Defensive Battlemages focusing more on melee but using Restoration a fair amount.

Altmer: Pure Offensive Mage, based on using lots of spells really quickly

Breton: Lame, can't compliment them at all

Bosmer: Stealth Archers, which is definitely different than a normal archer

Dark Elf: I suppose I see them more as the true Jack-of-all-Trades. They're usually known for Archery, Weapons (Blade or Short Blade) and Destruction magic so I guess an offensive class as a base. I dunno, Dunmer for me are one of the Races that have changed around the most and offer the most different stereotypes.

Argonian: Eh... I'm still stuck on Spear Argonians from Morrowind so...

Khajiit: Thieves, usually non-combative ones, just plain old thieves.

Redguard - Hmm, well really as long as they've got a blade as a Swordsman it fits my stereotype.

Nord: Barbarian, they've got the fur and the big weapons which is all they need to kill things dead.

• 457 posts
    March 5, 2017 6:09 PM EST

Stereotypes? Well, well well... *rolls up sleeves*

I'll answer this in the 'How many [insert race here] does it take to screw in a lightbulb?' format (prepare to be offended):

How many Altmer does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

• One--the Altmer simply hold up the bulb and let Nirn revolve around them.

How many Nords does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

• Doesn't matter--they'll always be too drunk to get it done.

How many Bosmer does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

• Inconclusive--no Bosmer will touch an incandescent or CFL bulb, and LED's don't give off a natural enough light...

How many Orcs does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

• Orcs can't screw in a lightbulb--they keep trying to screw them in with a hammer.

How many Imperials does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

• 5,501--the emperor tells the bulb it's screwed, then sends the legion in to make sure it is.

How many Redguards does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

• Three--one to screw it in, and two to teach it how to wield a sword.

How many Dunmer does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

• None--they're called dark elves for a reason, brainiac!

How many Khajiit does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

• No one knows--they keep stealing the bulbs.

How many Argonians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

• Two--one to screw it in and distract it while the other sneaks up behind and slits its throat.

How many Bretons does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

• Hmmmm. That one's a bit tricky--to get a Breton to screw in a lightbulb you first have to get an Aldmer and a Nede to do that to each other.

Sorry... it seemed like a funny idea at the time. Please let me know if I skipped any ;D

This post was edited by ShinJin at March 5, 2017 6:11 PM EST
    • 700 posts
    March 5, 2017 6:14 PM EST

ShinJin said:

I'll answer this in the 'How many [insert race here] does it take to screw in a lightbulb?' format (prepare to be offended):

• Inconclusive--no Bosmer will touch an incandescent or CFL bulb, and LED's don't give off a natural enough light...

• Orcs can't screw in a lightbulb--they keep trying to screw them in with a hammer.

• 5,501--the emperor tells the bulb it's screwed, then sends the legion in to make sure it is.

• Two--one to screw it in and distract it while the other sneaks up behind and slits its throat.

• Hmmmm. That one's a bit tricky--to get a Breton to screw in a lightbulb you first have to get an Aldmer and a Nede to do that to each other.

Sorry... it seemed like a funny idea at the time. Please let me know if I skipped any ;D

You win. Comedy gold. 

/thread

• 39 posts
    March 6, 2017 5:23 AM EST

ShinJin said:

I laughed MUCH MUCH MUCH more than I should have. Oh my god Shinj :D

• 140 posts
    March 6, 2017 6:13 AM EST

ShinJin said:

The most accurate comment on the thread.

• 457 posts
    March 6, 2017 10:11 PM EST

Thanks, all... I was afraid I went too far for a couple of those xD

• 585 posts
    March 8, 2017 12:01 PM EST

ShinJin said:

I can't stop laughing dude!

• 743 posts
    March 8, 2017 12:15 PM EST

Orc: Imbeciles

Imperial: Pussies

Altmer: Nazis

Breton: Badasses

Bosmer: Pussies

Dark Elf: Pussies

Argonian: Dumbasses

Khajiit: Dumbasses

Redguard:Dual- Coolasses

Nord: Freedom bitches

• 558 posts
    March 8, 2017 12:37 PM EST

Gonna steal RogueSilver's format.

Orc: Tradition-based Warriors

Imperial: Diplomats and Knights

Altmer: Superior Beings and Wizards

Breton: Cultists and Rapists

Bosmer: Outlandish Freaks

Dark Elf: Crazy, Pouty Wizards

Khajiit: Smarter Dumbasses

Redguard: Swordsmen

Nord: Powerful Warriors

• 743 posts
    March 8, 2017 12:39 PM EST

Gollum said:

Gonna steal RogueSilver's format.

Orc: Tradition-based Warriors

Imperial: Diplomats and Knights

Altmer: Superior Beings and Wizards

Breton: Cultists and Rapists

Bosmer: Outlandish Freaks

Dark Elf: Crazy, Pouty Wizards

Khajiit: Smarter Dumbasses

Redguard: Swordsmen

Nord: Powerful Warriors

You have my permission as long as you pay royalties to my own custom format.