Forums » The Lounge

I can't language so good, halp pls.

• 273 posts
    December 10, 2016 2:10 PM EST

(Please forgive the title.) So, I began making my own language for my world. Funny really, as I actually hate learning French in school, but that's probably because it's against my will. Anyway, I have come up with the BARE BASICS for this language (Which as of yet has no name.)

The characters I have chosen to be in the alphabet are as follows;

A, E, F, G, H, I, K, L, M, N, O, P, R, S, T, U and Z

My vowels and their pronunciations are as follows;

A - AH

E - EH

I - EE

O - OH (As in "on")

U - OOH

A list of my diphthongs and their pronunciations;

AI - EYE

AU - OU

EI - EY

EU - EW

IA - YA

IE - YEH

II - YEA

IO - YO

IU - OU

UA - WAH

UE - WEH

UI - WE

UO - WOH

UU - WOO

I began making words from this (As implied by the title, I can't language so good, so I have no idea how wise my decision was), I began with concepts. They are as follows;

Day - FAIS (F-EYE-S)

Night - MEIS (M-EY-S)

Dark - KIEN (K-YEH-N)

Light - YEUT (Y-EW-T)

Life - GION (G-YO-N)

Death - FEZ (F-EH-Z)

Time LAM (L-AH-M)

Good - TUA (T-WAH)

Evil - RAI (R-EYE)

Just about any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

• 277 posts
    December 10, 2016 2:20 PM EST

Study how Tolkien made up the elven language. The Silmarillion contains a sort of dictionary at the end and a pronounciation guide.

• 273 posts
    December 10, 2016 2:23 PM EST

Noodles said:

Study how Tolkien made up the elven language. The Silmarillion contains a sort of dictionary at the end and a pronounciation guide.

I will do. I need to read the LotR, Hobbit and Silmarillion in general, so that'll probably help. Thanks Noodles.

• 312 posts
    December 10, 2016 3:24 PM EST
    I know that Blizzard keeps a private Protoss dictionary, too, so you might look into that, too.

(En taro Tassadar!)
    • 273 posts
    December 10, 2016 3:32 PM EST

WuYiXiang said: I know that Blizzard keeps a private Protoss dictionary, too, so you might look into that, too. (En taro Tassadar!)

Will do, thank you Wu.

• 224 posts
    December 20, 2016 1:11 AM EST

That idea is really cool!!, I just can say to you, you could mix two or three or more country languages and make one of them, like take some features of them and start to create your own dictionary :), even create your own fonts and words, for example you know the Daedric alphabet have another kind of fonts but isnt a true real new language at least what its known, but it seems it have different spell of the words on Daedric alphabet.

Well If you want some help about creating the fonts, I happelly would help you to create them. By the way I'm curious about the world, would you tell more about it, please? 

This post was edited by Medieval at December 20, 2016 1:11 AM EST