Forums » Elder Scrolls

Legendary difficulty - no crafting?

• 3 posts
    November 9, 2016 5:47 AM EST
    Is it even possible to be successful on Legendary difficulty without smithing + enchanting? Once you get to all double enchanted items the game is easy legendary or not. Is there a middle ground somewhere? I have tried no crafting before and it seems nigh impossible unless I spend a year in hit and run tactics while slowly raising every skill
    • 1467 posts
    November 9, 2016 5:50 AM EST

Well you've got Sneak Archery of course, but that's the same kind of overpowered goodness as Smithing. But yeah I think it definitely is possible to be succesful on Legendary Difficulty without crafting, but your right it is incredibly difficult, especially as a melee warrior. A mage on the other hand (especially if you can get rich quickly) can be incredibly easy to win on Legendary, at least before Dragons show up, I gave it a shot once (finishing the Alduin fight on Legendary as a Pure Mage) but it's all about dodging and getting your hits in when you can.

• 295 posts
    November 9, 2016 6:52 AM EST

I did very well on Legendary with a Conjuration Mage, a Breton for suvivability, I think using vampire armor, necromancer's amulet, Atronach stone, Vokun, and the lovely Jenassa as a follower. We made beautiful dark art together. Killed Lydia and stuck her in the upstairs bedroom. 

• 585 posts
    November 9, 2016 9:32 AM EST

Do you mean no crafting as in no perking crafting skills, or no crafting full stop? Because if it's the former, Speech is a good replacement for any of the skills, allowing you to buy Fortify potions and enchanted armour to allow for high end gear without perk investment. But if it's the former, then Speech could work, and you'd just buy a metric tonne of potions instead, but it would definitely be harder.

• 77 posts
    November 9, 2016 9:46 AM EST

I see that you specifically mention smithing and enchanting would that mean Alchemy (the most powerful skill in the game) is still available?  If so than poisons are your friend especially paralysis poisons.  Like Dragonborn1721 already said sneak archery is crazy powerful.  There is also the Windshear which can cheese all melee combatants, coupled with Spellbreaker and the Block skill and you'll be an unstoppable tank who stun locks any fool that gets too close.  Of course getting these two items will be a challenge.

• 649 posts
    November 9, 2016 9:54 AM EST
    Heavy Armor, Block, One Handed, Sneak, Archery (+ Alteration maybe) = piece of cake.
    • 3 posts
    November 9, 2016 11:06 AM EST
    I love a challenge. I've done the stealth archer/assassin, the invulnerable tank, the white Walker and a resto-knight-cleric all enchanted up the wazoo and dominated Legendary difficulty.
    I'd like advice on an idea of build that is legendary capable but not over or under powered.
    Exploit centered builds lose they're luster pretty quick
    • 3 posts
    November 9, 2016 12:35 PM EST
    What about Heavy Armour, robes, spell breaker, bound weapons and storm atronachs?
    • 288 posts
    November 9, 2016 12:50 PM EST

Yes, I've beaten Skyrim+Dawnguard+Dragonborn on Legendary without crafting or any grinding.

It's actually not that hard. You get Teldryn Sero from Raven Rock for a follower early on. You get the Atronach Stone early on. You get the Bound Bow from the fort with the mages early on. You get the Marked For Death shout early on. After that it's rather straightforward. You use Teldryn + a Flame Atronach early on / Dremora Lord in late game to tank and you shoot from distance with the BB. In the instances where you can't bring a follower as well as in boss / hardmob fights use repeated MFD to weaken enemies.

• 2 posts
    November 10, 2016 1:17 PM EST
    Playing on legendary without crafting of any kind is not difficult. The enemies are pretty predictable. If you are having trouble you get a follower like J'zargo or any of the companions.
    • 490 posts
    November 10, 2016 6:12 PM EST
    Definitely possible. No crafting is probably my favorite way to play the game. You have to play smart. I also rarely sneak, so you have to use the limited combat systems to your advantage.

I recently installed the "Hardcore Mode" for PS4 whoch basically made both me and my enemies take x3 damage. Enemies fall quickly but so do I! Very realistic and fun/exciting. Difficulty sliders in the future games should have this as a basic feature so we can control what our damage multiplier is AND enemies. Sponge enemies are just not fun and not realistic.
    • 288 posts
    November 11, 2016 2:42 AM EST

both me and my enemies take x3 damage

Doesn't this make the game piece of cake for archers and hell for melee?