Forums » Elder Scrolls

How do you go about writing Magic casting?

• 6 posts
    November 6, 2016 1:35 PM EST

Forgive me for the vagueness of the question I'm presenting. I'm hoping to ask and resolve a particulary finnicky query of mine when it comes to writing on my blog about casting spells. For me personally, I try to avoid a generic "Lutherus casted a Courage Spell on his comrade" as it just sounds far too uninspiring. I wanted to ask you all - how do you, if you use it in game, write about casting spells?

• 649 posts
    November 6, 2016 2:00 PM EST

“Telekinesis is a spell of control. You must control those feelings, grab a hold of yourself. Spell like this calls for a control of situation, emotions, objects. Everything. Control those feelings. Reach in and then out. Lift those objects.”

He took a deep breath. Yes, he felt it, back then in the Forge. The desire to conrol his emotions, to change things. To be in charge of his fate. How can one control his fear and anger? You aim it at something. He reached into himself with his mind, to a place where was that bright shining star, piece of Aetherius itself, while also reaching out, plunging his hands into the currents of Magicka around him, connecting the two.

“It's for our own safety. So before we cast it, let's talk about Alteration itself. What does it mean? What does it do? Alteration school is based on changing reality, that you undoubtedly know. But what is reality? It is something that is forced upon us by greater forces than we are. Are those gods? Daedra? Something more? Or less? We don't know. But the key to mastering Alteration isn't about forcing a change of reality upon this forces. It's about convincing them it's easier to change than remain the same. I would start by reading a book Reality and Other Falsehoods. Very good book.”

He extended his hand towards the pin and reached into himself, to his reserves of Magicka.

“Yes, reach in. Now reach out, feel the streams flowing through this place. Find the stream that feels like heavy anvil, a pure force. Stream that is steady, almost unmoving, bending only to your will.”

His hans were groping in the dark, feeling several streams, but none of them felt as the right one. And then he found it, stream that was flowing yet unmoving at the same time, heavy as the world itself.

This post was edited by Karver the Lorc at November 6, 2016 2:00 PM EST
    • 66 posts
    November 6, 2016 2:49 PM EST

Here's an example of how I handled a fire touch spell in a scene:

She took all the hiding; serving her captors; the beatings; how they boasted of their victims; how he was set to make her his next; how he mocked her mother’s final moments, and channeled that raw fury into her palm. The Toad’s eyes widened in slow motion as she thrust a palm engulfed in an inferno into his face. His head whipped back in an explosion of fire that carried his whole body with it. Amari pulled herself to her feet and stood over his smoldering corpse with heaving breaths, the fire in her eyes had never burned brighter.

And another one about a charm/courage spell:

The Forsworn guised Logrolf walked to Amari and clapped her on the shoulder. “I’ve been at this game a long, long time, little one. I won’t deny He is powerful, but He is as thick headed as an ox… no, no that is a disservice to oxen. No, He won’t see the ploy until it’s far too late.”

Amari felt instantly reassured at his touch. How could he defame Molag Bal’s name so blatantly and live to such an age if he didn’t know what he was doing?

“Are you ready now?” Logrolf asked gently.

Amari nodded.

“Good. Follow.” Logrolf’s voice and whole stature changed again, indistinguishable from the Forsworn he appeared as. Amari followed without fear as they strode into the mouth of the Beast.

--- Then when the spell is called out by Molag Bal:

"Child! Did you believe I would not see through the petty illusions of a MORTAL! You were deceived! You were weak! You failed me! …as well.

A slow clap interrupted and all eyes turned to Logrolf, now wearing his true face. He snapped his fingers at Amari and she felt like a haze was lifted from her eyes. Her sense of unstoppable confidence shattered and the fear set in as she looked at that sly smile, finally realizing he had never been her ally.

This post was edited by Exuro at November 6, 2016 2:58 PM EST
    • 6 posts
    November 6, 2016 4:54 PM EST

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

Here's what I've got so far:

"Keep him busy! I think I can expose it's weakness!" Commanded Tolfdir as he spared no time in charging his remaining magicka energies to defeat the Draugr. He soon realised that the blue magical seal that surrounded the Orb had something to do with the Draugr's incredible strength and power. Firing a concentrated arc of lightning from both palms into seal weakened the Draugr, giving Lutherus time to recouperate. "Get back!" Instructed Tolfdir, as he charged another bolt from his hand, and threw it into the Draugr. But even at this point, it was still very much capable of fighting. Tolfdir took in a huge breath, crossed his hands in front of his face as sparks of lightning darted from each of them. With a mighty shout he fired a massive bolt at the Draugr, sending it crashing into the tomb's wall.

Lutherus nodded, as he led the walk to Saarthal. Being a practiced Illusionist, Lutherus made the journey considerably easier by once again diving into his mind's archive. Inside, he envisioned the journey to Saarthal as if he were already there and concentrated the path envisioned to reality. The path before Lutherus and Alinstein illuminated, providing the route to Tolfdir.

Lutherus, being an Apprentice learner of the Illusion school of Magi took a deep breath, before shutting his eyes. Placing his index and forefinger on each hand to his temples, he lowered his head in extreme concentration. Inside his mind, through his archive of studied magi did he focus his energies on his ability to turn even the most staunch and loyal of defenders into a pathetic cowardly weakling. With a sharp exhale and thrust his open hands to the cold air, did he cast his focused energy. Faralda was very pleased with the Apprentice's execution of the test. "Well done Apprentice! I'll take you to Mirabelle Ervine, our Master Wizard. Please follow me."

This post was edited by Dean Morrison at November 6, 2016 4:56 PM EST
    • 649 posts
    November 6, 2016 5:01 PM EST

Dean Morrison said:

Inside his mind, through his archive of studied magi did he focus his energies on his ability to turn even the most staunch and loyal of defenders into a pathetic cowardly weakling. With a sharp exhale and thrust his open hands to the cold air, did he cast his focused energy. Faralda was very pleased with the Apprentice's execution of the test. "Well done Apprentice! I'll take you to Mirabelle Ervine, our Master Wizard. Please follow me."

Speaking of Illusion....magic of the mind or of light and shadow? How precisely do you make someone tremble in fear? Do you create something terrifying in front of him? Do you create something terrifying inside his mind? How do you turn invisible? Do you make someone believe you actually aren´t there? Do you bend the light - but isn´t that Alteration? Changing reality? :)

• 6 posts
    November 6, 2016 5:15 PM EST

Karver the Afflicted said:

Dean Morrison said:

Inside his mind, through his archive of studied magi did he focus his energies on his ability to turn even the most staunch and loyal of defenders into a pathetic cowardly weakling. With a sharp exhale and thrust his open hands to the cold air, did he cast his focused energy. Faralda was very pleased with the Apprentice's execution of the test. "Well done Apprentice! I'll take you to Mirabelle Ervine, our Master Wizard. Please follow me."

Speaking of Illusion....magic of the mind or of light and shadow? How precisely do you make someone tremble in fear? Do you create something terrifying in front of him? Do you create something terrifying inside his mind? How do you turn invisible? Do you make someone believe you actually aren´t there? Do you bend the light - but isn´t that Alteration? Changing reality? :)

For my character, I'd like him to be a major in Mind Illusion - see things that are not there etc.

How did I not think of what perceives the fear? Thanks for that Karver. But with that quote, does it sound okay?

• 649 posts
    November 6, 2016 5:24 PM EST
    Dean Morrison said:

Karver the Afflicted said:

Dean Morrison said:

For my character, I'd like him to be a major in Mind Illusion - see things that are not there etc.

How did I not think of what perceives the fear? Thanks for that Karver. But with that quote, does it sound okay?

Yup, it does sound okay. It's just that I'm writing extensive lore/story project that delves into the mechanics of magic, so I might have different opinion. Take everything I say with grain of salt. For example, when it comes to mind affecting spells I'm using this. Calm, Fear, Frenzy are just classifications of one spell, spell that let's you peak into someone's else mind, see images of emotions. So for example, Fear works as a...search bar. The spell looks for images connected with fear. The caster then can make the images more prominent in victim's mind it becomes almost real for the victims. But it all has to be in boundaries of imagination. Like creating a pair of giant knickers will hardly scare anyone right?
    • 321 posts
    November 6, 2016 6:49 PM EST

Speaking of Alteration, I have in mind to use mod-added spells in my story. One of those spells include the ability to temporarily 'enchant' a weapon. I wonder if that counts as Alteration magic.

Also, how can you explain teleportation? In Skyrim Redone, there's a few Alteration spells that allow short-distance teleporation.

• 649 posts
    November 7, 2016 1:25 AM EST

Axius Revan said:

Speaking of Alteration, I have in mind to use mod-added spells in my story. One of those spells include the ability to temporarily 'enchant' a weapon. I wonder if that counts as Alteration magic.

Also, how can you explain teleportation? In Skyrim Redone, there's a few Alteration spells that allow short-distance teleporation.

My guess is that it has to do something with words like transliminal, hypergonal, transpontine and limen...

Stepping through the Shadows - just mind you that we´re talking about Shadow Magic here.

Lore-wise, I do not remember short distance teleportation to be mentioned anywhere, long distance yes, but not short. Morrowind Mysticism spells were mentioned in few books. Almsivi Intervention, Divine Intervention and then the combination of Mark and Recall, right? 

Technicaly, there´s also that Sorcerer Spell from ESO that allows you to "ride the lightning" to travel short distances. On the Utility of Shock Magic. Even Vanus Galerion confirms it here. 

And temporary enchants...that´s weird. Note that enchanting is technicaly temporary, especially with weapons, because they have charges, right? I´m not really sure how would I use that, because enchanting is very difficult process and it works only because of the soul gems. But...

My favourite part from Reality and Other Falsehoods: 

To cast Alteration spells is to convince a greater power that it will be easier to change reality as requested than to leave it alone. Do not assume that these forces are sentient. Our best guess is that they are like wind and water. Persistent but not thoughtful. Just like directing the wind or water, diversions are easier than outright resistance. Express the spell as a subtle change and it is more likely to be successful.

Technicaly if you convince reality that the iron burns...it might work. 

This post was edited by Karver the Lorc at November 7, 2016 1:39 AM EST