Forums » Elder Scrolls

Skyrim SE - Mods?

• 1467 posts
    October 30, 2016 3:45 AM EDT

So, I figured it's time, Skyrim SE has been out for two whole days now (It feels like half a day, I've spent most of it sleeping), and I figured I'd be the first to start the question off. How great are mods for PC and Xbone? I'm a PS4 player, and while we've got some mods that definitely add some interesting new things to the game, Sony's policy means we get partially complete mods sometimes, and miss out on a vast majority of them. It's really a bit of a downer to know that while I have a controller that lights up in the dark, I can't play some really awesome mods that XBone players get.

Anyway, I'll jump right in with the questions I wanted to ask, otherwise you could catch me here all day.

1. What do you guys think of how PS4 mods have been handled?
    2. What Mods do you have now (PS4 or Xbone) that have expanded how you play Skyrim?
    3. What's your favorite Skyrim SE mod so far?
    4. PC players - How has the swap gone for you? Have you made the swap to SE?
    • 649 posts
    October 30, 2016 4:41 AM EDT

Dragonborn1721 said:

1. PC players - How has the swap gone for you? Have you made the swap to SE?

Nope. Skyrim Remaster is basicaly a High Res Texture Pack patch which was already published by Bethesda back in 2011/12, they only added annoying bloom which makes the game look all the time as if everything was covered by fog. 

Right now, in this moment, it isn´t even worth downloading it. Skyrim Special Edition Is An Underwhelming Upgrade On PC – But!

As the guy says, maybe in 3 months it will be worth it for PC players, once all mods start rolling out and such. But the point is that many modders moved on, so there´s no one to re-update those mods. So if PC players switch to Remaster, they are basicaly switching to 1/4 of Mods we have access to now. And I´m not even talking about SKSE supported mods which aren´t supported for Remaster yet. 

More trouble than usefulness. 

• 277 posts
    October 30, 2016 4:58 AM EDT

Dragonborn1721 said:

I haven't encountered any problems after the swap. Truthfully I only made it because the game was free and I don't have enough knowledge of graphic enhancing mods to install my own. This was the lazy option and I love it! So far I'm pleased that I no longer have to hold down the sprint button. Makes me wonder what else is different in the gameplay.

• 627 posts
    October 30, 2016 5:01 AM EDT

Noodles said:

Dragonborn1721 said:

I haven't encountered any problems after the swap. Truthfully I only made it because the game was free and I don't have enough knowledge of graphic enhancing mods to install my own. This was the lazy option and I love it! So far I'm pleased that I no longer have to hold down the sprint button. Makes me wonder what else is different in the gameplay.

That's going to be my approach when I finally get around to having an actual pc. Who has the time to download and install all those mods to make the game look pretty, when you could be playing the game? :D

• 321 posts
    October 30, 2016 5:25 AM EDT

Dragonborn1721 said:

IMO SE feels more like a starter pack/building block for mods. Kinda saves the hassle of installing ENB and other graphic mods. They have built-in rain/snow occlusion which saves the hassle of installing Real Shelters mod.

I haven't actually made the swap yet. But hopefully I'll do it once I get a new PC.

• 321 posts
    October 30, 2016 5:37 AM EDT

Karver said:

Dragonborn1721 said:

Nope. Skyrim Remaster is basicaly a High Res Texture Pack patch which was already published by Bethesda back in 2011/12, they only added annoying bloom which makes the game look all the time as if everything was covered by fog. 

Right now, in this moment, it isn´t even worth downloading it. Skyrim Special Edition Is An Underwhelming Upgrade On PC – But!

As the guy says, maybe in 3 months it will be worth it for PC players, once all mods start rolling out and such. But the point is that many modders moved on, so there´s no one to re-update those mods. So if PC players switch to Remaster, they are basicaly switching to 1/4 of Mods we have access to now. And I´m not even talking about SKSE supported mods which aren´t supported for Remaster yet. 

Have to agree with you there Karves. It's going to be time-consuming for modders to re-update their mods, provided if they really want to. I'm a user of the Skyrim Redone overhaul mod and that mod has long been abandoned in favor of Perkus Maximus, but even that mod has not many compatibility mods like SkyRe. That's not even mentioning the Quest mods.

But on the bright side, SE has improved stability which means you can run a smooth 60 fps while watching dozens of Stormcloaks and Imperials kill each other. Perfect for Immersive Patrols and Warzones 2016 Civil Unrest.

But I guess if you look at it at a wider perspective, the cons kinda outweight the pros.

I think SE would be better used a 'preset' for taking Screenshots.

• 288 posts
    October 30, 2016 5:44 AM EDT

I posted this yesterday in another topic but I'll repost it here:

Ok, so this is an image that has been circulating the TV, obviously from Skyrim SE:

And this is (more or less) the same scenery from my ENB modded standard Skyrim LE:

I kind of like mine more, especially the reflection of the mountain in the lake which is missing in the top picture. But of course different people may have a different opinion.

Now, that said, if Skyrim SE has a better base engine and if in the future people adapt the ENB, SKSE and visual improvement mods to the SE engine then it will become a better option. But, as mentioned above, it is unclear whether modmakers are going to bother at this point.

• 295 posts
    October 30, 2016 5:48 AM EDT

The way I see it, for me anyway, it's a second version of the game that I can keep Vanilla in all its unpatched glory. So now, instead of messing with modlists for a playtest, if my build doesn't need mods, I can test it on the Remaster. If my build heavily requires scripted mods, I can default to my old game without having to mess around too much and uninstall mods, run loot and all that. 

Coincidently, I run 60fps on both games. Handled the Remaster on Ultra very easily. 

I also really dislike the cloudy bloom thing (overkill IMO), but loved the DoF, which is something, for some reason my enb isn't doing very well. The only thing the remaster has really done is.

1. Given me an opportunity to get all the achievements again. In one playthrough. A fun little challenge.

2. Gives me another game to playtest vanilla builds so I don't have to deal with fiddling with modlists.

3. Exposes me still to all the glitches of the vanilla game that I can't really exploit on a patched modded game.

4. Making me rethink my choice of enb for my modded game. I'm using Realvision, which I've loved for years, but I am really liking DoF.

5. I get to play Mr. Buttons again, which always makes me smile. 

All in all, not bad for me, considering it's a free download for me. I got the space and the power to run it, so why not? 

• 288 posts
    October 30, 2016 6:22 AM EDT

So you can have both LE and SE and they don't interfere with each other?

• 321 posts
    October 30, 2016 6:23 AM EDT

Overhate said:

Yes. They treated as seperate games.

• 215 posts
    October 30, 2016 9:25 AM EDT

PC Player: I've logged in to check out the opening scene for differences but that's it.  I can't get the e-mail from Bethesda to sign in so not sure if they are having server issues.  But I don't want to get too deep into the new release with two builds pending right now.  Enough on my plate..lol.  Now I just need some people to quit playing long enough to get back on the site to catch up and answer questions..lol.  But it did look good from what I saw.  No clue on the mods thusfar due to the e-mail issue.

• 215 posts
    October 30, 2016 9:27 AM EDT

Lissette Long-Chapper said:

The way I see it, for me anyway, it's a second version of the game that I can keep Vanilla in all its unpatched glory. So now, instead of messing with modlists for a playtest, if my build doesn't need mods, I can test it on the Remaster. If my build heavily requires scripted mods, I can default to my old game without having to mess around too much and uninstall mods, run loot and all that. 

Ooh, that's a good idea.  Hadn't considered that.

But...are the patches in there to fix some of the real stupid stuff from Vanilla?

• 87 posts
    October 30, 2016 9:35 AM EDT
    Karver said:

Dragonborn1721 said:

This is not exactly a fair representation. First of all, Skyrim SE fixed some things that mods couldn't fix. Second of all, the platform is much more stable due to the engine upgrade to a 64 bit version. Third of all, a lot of the best moders out there have not quit and are doing all they can to update their mods for Skyrim SE. I know right now it doesn't seem like an advantage, but in the long run it will much, much better then Skyrim LE.
    This post was edited by Decumus Scotti at October 30, 2016 9:36 AM EDT
    • 649 posts
    October 30, 2016 9:42 AM EDT

Decumus Scotti said:
    Karver said:

Dragonborn1721 said:

This is not exactly a fair representation. First of all, Skyrim SE fixed some things that mods couldn't fix. Second of all, the platform is much more stable due to the engine upgrade to a 64 bit version. Third of all, a lot of the best moders out there have not quit and are doing all they can to update their mods for Skyrim SE. I know right now it doesn't seem like an advantage, but in the long run it will much, much better then Skyrim LE.

Oh, I do agree that in the long run it´s definitely going to be better. For example the unlimited RAM is certainly big step forward. It´s mostly the backend things that WILL make it better in time. But right now for PC players it isn´t better, that´s all I´m saying. 

• 87 posts
    October 30, 2016 9:45 AM EDT
    Karver said:

Decumus Scotti said:
    Karver said:

Dragonborn1721 said:

Oh, I do agree that in the long run it´s definitely going to be better. For example the unlimited RAM is certainly big step forward. It´s mostly the backend things that WILL make it better in time. But right now for PC players it isn´t better, that´s all I´m saying. 

Yes you are definitely right that right now it isn't better. It still brings back old memories though, even if it's not comparable to my modded Skyrim. I'm really looking forward to when SKSE comes out, because that's really when Skyrim SE modding will really kickstart. Unfortunately, it will probably be in a couple months at least.
    • 215 posts
    October 30, 2016 3:25 PM EDT

Just saw an interesting article on this on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/rps/212060165296153245

• 312 posts
    October 30, 2016 11:24 PM EDT
    I freakin' hate Bethesda's mod system and wish they would let us use Steam Workshop. I very well might go back to LE just for Workshop support.
    • 627 posts
    October 31, 2016 12:38 AM EDT

WuYiXiang said: I freakin' hate Bethesda's mod system and wish they would let us use Steam Workshop. I very well might go back to LE just for Workshop support.

Or you could just use the nexus.

• 1441 posts
    October 31, 2016 1:03 AM EDT

WuYiXiang said: I freakin' hate Bethesda's mod system and wish they would let us use Steam Workshop. I very well might go back to LE just for Workshop support.

On PS4, they have to comply with Sony, to have mods at all. Which means no external assets, as far as I know, and no SKSE or any mods that would be impossible to convert 

• 312 posts
    October 31, 2016 5:19 AM EDT
    @Golden - True, but what's the point of having a centralized mod system if it doesn't auto-update? a
    • 627 posts
    October 31, 2016 7:50 AM EDT

WuYiXiang said: @Golden - True, but what's the point of having a centralized mod system if it doesn't auto-update? a

Auto updating isn't always a good thing, there are mods that you need to completely remove before installing the new version instead of just overwriting the previous version. And you can use mods from both sources together, you just have to be a little more careful to prevent conflicts. The mod manager also lets you check for newer versions of all your mods and then you can make the choice of whether you need to newest version or not.

• 312 posts
    October 31, 2016 8:24 AM EDT

1. I don't typically use a whole lot of mods, so I tend to forget to even look at the mods menu. Skyrim's kind of an exception because vanilla is just so boring.

2. Holy crap, changing load order takes days with this system.

• 104 posts
    November 2, 2016 3:42 AM EDT

I have tremendous respect for all Modders, they are so clever, but their generousity in shareing their work, is wonderful

• 8 posts
    November 2, 2016 9:01 AM EDT
    Honestly, as another ps4 gamer, that fact that Sony won't allow ps4 mods to change/add sound, texture or script kinda pisses me off.

But hey, it's still better than no mods, right?
    • 288 posts
    November 2, 2016 3:46 PM EDT

Axius Revan said:

Overhate said:

Yes. They treated as seperate games.

Ok, I'll give it a try then.

I'll even play on Adept for old times' sake :D