Forums » The Lounge

Decision Time: Ning or SocialEngine

This topic has been closed.
    • 140 posts
    October 25, 2016 10:33 AM EDT

I don't suppose any of these (LinkLink), coupled with the fact that Ning still seems in good health, would change anyone's minds?

• 136 posts
    October 25, 2016 10:40 AM EDT

Caesar said:

I don't suppose any of these (LinkLink), coupled with the fact that Ning still seems in good health, would change anyone's minds?

Have you not seen all the positive changes to this site--changes, I might add, that have been requested by the members and have been implemented relatively quickly? Have you not witnessed the renewed activity here? People like the site and what it is becoming. 

I have a unique idea. Why don't you be part of the solution (present and future) instead of longing for the past. Despite what the Altmer want, change is an inevitable part of reality. 

• 237 posts
    October 25, 2016 10:55 AM EDT

Caesar said:

Reeks of PR spin.  Do you have anything more recent?  "In the coming weeks" is something I never trust in these sorts of messages until I actually see action being taken.

• 694 posts
    October 25, 2016 11:29 AM EDT

Librari the Wizard said:

Caesar said:

Reeks of PR spin.  Do you have anything more recent?  "In the coming weeks" is something I never trust in these sorts of messages until I actually see action being taken.

That's exactly what we thought. I've been keeping a little bit of an eye on the deterioration of the sale on Ning Creators Network and Ex-Creators. The initial sale to Cyndx I guess fell through. They said they were outbid by another capital management company, and a particular subsidary. But I've also been following the Ning forum as well as the status blog and Network creators are still experiencing rampant outages, minimal customer support, few answers, and even fewer promises to fix things. The situation is evolving but we can only make the decision based on the facts we have at the time, and right now I'd say the deck is still not stacked in Ning's favor... trust me, I drive myself insane with this stuff all the time. xD

• 140 posts
    October 25, 2016 11:59 AM EDT

Have you not seen all the positive changes to this site--changes, I might add, that have been requested by the members and have been implemented relatively quickly? Have you not witnessed the renewed activity here? People like the site and what it is becoming.

Apart from the navigation bar, I haven't seen any changes as of late. Infact, all changes I have seen we already had on Ning. And if you read some of the other comments in this thread, you'll see there are quite a few of people who prefer Ning over SocialEngine.

I have a unique idea. Why don't you be part of the solution (present and future) instead of longing for the past. Despite what the Altmer want, change is an inevitable part of reality.

I've always considered there to be two types of change; Good change and bad change. And if I had to choose between one of those, this platform would definitely fall under the "bad change" catagory.

Do you have anything more recent?

Unfortunately I don't. The ones I listed above are the most recent I could find, but I'll definitely let you know if I find something newer.

• 743 posts
    October 25, 2016 12:14 PM EDT

Caesar said:

Apart from the navigation bar, I haven't seen any changes as of late. Infact, all changes I have seen we already had on Ning. And if you read some of the other comments in this thread, you'll see there are quite a few of people who prefer Ning over SocialEngine.

I've always considered there to be two types of change; Good change and bad change. And if I had to choose between one of those, this platform would definitely fall under the "bad change" catagory.

Do you have anything more recent?

Unfortunately I don't. The ones I listed above are the most recent I could find, but I'll definitely let you know if I find something newer.

Ok, Ning is done. Period. A broker company owns Ning, and that last thing brokers care about is helping out a struggling company that has a staff of 3 or 4 people. Ceaser, if I recall correctly, you were quite active on the old site. Why is it that when we need active members such as yourself the most, you decide to talk total shit about us? The admins are doing everything possible, we've gotta just be patient. #1 gaming sites don't happen overnight, I assure you. 

If you have any better ideas, please, share them with us. If you don't have a solution to the issue, you're simply complaining. 

And to boot, we have a damned rival site that is stealing our members, and slinging mud at us every chance they get. They're probably enjoying all the shit talking old members such as yourself are doing (how ironic I'm not actually one of them for once). So allow me to ask, just who's freaking side are you on? 

This post was edited by Rogue at October 25, 2016 12:15 PM EDT
    • 140 posts
    October 25, 2016 1:11 PM EDT

Why is it that when we need active members such as yourself the most, you decide to talk total shit about us? The admins are doing everything possible, we've gotta just be patient. #1 gaming sites don't happen overnight, I assure you.

We already had a number one gaming site before the move. Everyone was happy on Ning, and you can still see small amounts of activity there, even despite the big front page announcement.

I really don't see where I've been talking "total shit" about anyone, I've just been stating my opinion, over and over again with different wording, to try and get other people to think the same way. As for why I've been less active since the move, I think that point's been made before in this discussion. To summarise: This platform's such a pain to navigate, I actually just don't want to be active. In fact, I've actually been browsing Builds on the Ning site lately, becuase of how much simpler it is.

So allow me to ask, just who's freaking side are you on?

I'm on side of the Skyrim Blog. Call it a Vault if you want, but that's who's side I'm on. I don't like Nuka-Srolls, and I find it very unlikely that I'll even consider being a member there. As for this Site, I think it has a much better future on Ning, which is exactly what I've been saying since this discussion was started, and which is why I'm still saying it now.

On another note, I did also find This, which was posted just a couple of weeks ago. I'm still not quite sure what Noosphere is, but I intend to read up on it shortly.

• 136 posts
    October 25, 2016 1:12 PM EDT

Caesar said:

Everyone was happy on Ning

False

• 312 posts
    October 25, 2016 1:13 PM EDT

Caesar said:

The sooner you realize that this "Bad Change" (I actually love the new site despite all its flaws) is here to stay, the sooner you can contribute some constructive criticism that doesn't boil down to "We should've stayed. Everything sucks." If you would just take the time that you spend complaining and use it to come up with improvements to the current site, I'm sure we'll be a lot better off a lot sooner.

I've held my tongue for a while, but this constant naysaying is really starting to irritate me.

This post was edited by WuYiXiang at October 25, 2016 1:15 PM EDT
    • 136 posts
    October 25, 2016 1:18 PM EDT

WuYiXiang said:

Caesar said:

The sooner you realize that this "Bad Change" (I actually love the new site despite all its flaws) is here to stay, the sooner you can contribute some constructive criticism that doesn't boil down to "We should've stayed. Everything sucks." If you would just take the time that you spend complaining and use it to come up with improvements to the current site, I'm sure we'll be a lot better off a lot sooner.

I've held my tongue for a while, but this constant naysaying is really starting to irritate me.

Well said. And I share your feeling on the matter.

• 277 posts
    October 25, 2016 1:20 PM EDT

Caesar, I get that you're pissed at how different things are. I suggest you temporarily stop visiting this site and come back in two or three months. I'm confident that by then Social Engine will have all of Ning's features.  

• 140 posts
    October 25, 2016 1:27 PM EDT

The sooner you realize that this "Bad Change" (I actually love the new site despite all its flaws) is here to stay, the sooner you can contribute some constructive criticism that doesn't boil down to "We should've stayed. Everything sucks."

I thought the whole point of this discussion was if this bad change was here to stay. Regardless, I have as much right to voice my opinion as anyone else.

I feel the exact same way about those who want to stay. "To each, their own" I think woud be a good phrase here.

• 136 posts
    October 25, 2016 1:33 PM EDT

Caesar said:

I thought the whole point of this discussion was if this bad change was here to stay. Regardless, I have as much right to voice my opinion as anyone else.

See, here's the problem. It seems like a bad change to you, so you automatically assume it's a bad change for everyone. 

• 743 posts
    October 25, 2016 1:36 PM EDT

Caesar said:

Why is it that when we need active members such as yourself the most, you decide to talk total shit about us? The admins are doing everything possible, we've gotta just be patient. #1 gaming sites don't happen overnight, I assure you.

We already had a number one gaming site before the move. Everyone was happy on Ning, and you can still see small amounts of activity there, even despite the big front page announcement.

I really don't see where I've been talking "total shit" about anyone, I've just been stating my opinion, over and over again with different wording, to try and get other people to think the same way. As for why I've been less active since the move, I think that point's been made before in this discussion. To summarise: This platform's such a pain to navigate, I actually just don't want to be active. In fact, I've actually been browsing Builds on the Ning site lately, becuase of how much simpler it is.

So allow me to ask, just who's freaking side are you on?

I'm on side of the Skyrim Blog. Call it a Vault if you want, but that's who's side I'm on. I don't like Nuka-Srolls, and I find it very unlikely that I'll even consider being a member there. As for this Site, I think it has a much better future on Ning, which is exactly what I've been saying since this discussion was started, and which is why I'm still saying it now.

On another note, I did also find This, which was posted just a couple of weeks ago. I'm still not quite sure what Noosphere is, but I intend to read up on it shortly.

You sound like me a few months ago, and I wholeheartedly agree with being on the side of The Skyrim Blog, not the "Vault". However, we had no choice. Ning is dying, and you know it just as well as anyone else, Ceasar. Again, I invite you to offer us a solution to the "issue" of the SE platform. As for the shit talking, I said you directed it towards the new site without giving it a chance, not people. I was just as frustrated as you were with the new site, believe me. But I took the time to learn the navigation and, frankly, it is easier to use than Ning. Change isn't always bad, Ceasar.  

• 312 posts
    October 25, 2016 1:43 PM EDT

RogueSilver said:

Again, I invite you to offer us a solution to the "issue" of the SE platform.

That's all I ask from you, Caesar. Yes, you're more than free to voice your opinion, but rather than talking about how terrible it is, give us suggestions on how to fix it.

I see this site transition the same way I see a WiP in the Workshop. It's a work in progress. Not everything about this site has been ironed out, and rather than saying "Everything is terrible," something like "I don't like THIS because THAT, and I think we should I RAN OUT OF PRONOUNS!" would go a long way toward solving the issues you have with Social Engine.

• 140 posts
    October 25, 2016 2:12 PM EDT

Right, I will try to be more constructive when I criticise the new Platform in the future. I do apoligise if I've caused anyone personnal offence with anything I've said, though let it be known that I would still prefer a return to Ning more than anything else.

This post was edited by Caesar at October 25, 2016 2:12 PM EDT
    • 136 posts
    October 25, 2016 2:36 PM EDT

Caesar said:

Right, I will try to be more constructive when I criticise the new Platform in the future. I do apoligise if I've caused anyone personnal offence with anything I've said, though let it be known that I would still prefer a return to Ning more than anything else.

Fair enough, Caesar. Thank you. I appreciate your new approach to discussing this issue.

• 1 posts
    October 25, 2016 2:38 PM EDT

As my very first post on this site I'm going to throw my 1 cent worth in here. I started going to the old site in search of character builds. I almost quit playing Skyrim before I even started because I had no idea how to turn my character into the image I had in my mind. I found what I was looking for in the Skyrim Blog. Now here comes the Remastered Skyrim, I play on XBox by the way, so off I go to the Blog only to find my way to this site. Wow...was I confused. Please keep in mind I'm a "point and click" computer user and I don't even know how to use paragraphs here..haha.

Well I started looking for builds and clicked all over and finally found them. Sadly couldn't find the one I had before. Then I found the stories...yay! Then all the other groups and discussions. Now I spend at least an hour or two a day on here.

I have said all that to say this. I, as a person who hardly understands half of what I read here, have noticed the steady improvements that have been happening in the last few weeks. The builds, the artwork, the menus are all being improved upon. I am gratefull to you all for the hard work you put in here aside from your real lives. I look forward to the future of this site. Now I will go hide behind my friendly dovah and read on. :)

• 312 posts
    October 25, 2016 2:40 PM EDT

SeekerM said:

I, as a person who hardly understands half of what I read here, have noticed the steady improvements that have been happening in the last few weeks. The builds, the artwork, the menus are all being improved upon. I am gratefull to you all for the hard work you put in here aside from your real lives. I look forward to the future of this site. Now I will go hide behind my friendly dovah and read on. :)

And that, my friend, is a beautiful first post. :D

• 649 posts
    October 25, 2016 2:40 PM EDT

SeekerM said:

As my very first post on this site I'm going to throw my 1 cent worth in here. I started going to the old site in search of character builds. I almost quit playing Skyrim before I even started because I had no idea how to turn my character into the image I had in my mind. I found what I was looking for in the Skyrim Blog. Now here comes the Remastered Skyrim, I play on XBox by the way, so off I go to the Blog only to find my way to this site. Wow...was I confused. Please keep in mind I'm a "point and click" computer user and I don't even know how to use paragraphs here..haha.

Well I started looking for builds and clicked all over and finally found them. Sadly couldn't find the one I had before. Then I found the stories...yay! Then all the other groups and discussions. Now I spend at least an hour or two a day on here.

I have said all that to say this. I, as a person who hardly understands half of what I read here, have noticed the steady improvements that have been happening in the last few weeks. The builds, the artwork, the menus are all being improved upon. I am gratefull to you all for the hard work you put in here aside from your real lives. I look forward to the future of this site. Now I will go hide behind my friendly dovah and read on. :)

My man!

Thanks for the kind words, mate. Everyone, and espcially the host team really appreciate it. I hope we´ll make the site even better with time, for people like you. Enjoy your stay :)

• 694 posts
    October 25, 2016 2:44 PM EDT

Karver said:

SeekerM said:

My man!

Thanks for the kind words, mate. Everyone, and espcially the host team really appreciate it. I hope we´ll make the site even better with time, for people like you. Enjoy your stay :)

Second this.^

Thank you for the kind words, Seeker. The Hosts, the Admins, we all work each and every day to try and make this place better, even if we can only manage a little bit. I appreciate the patience while we keep working to make this site a place we all consider our "home" on the internet. :)

• ACD
    • 13 posts
    October 25, 2016 4:00 PM EDT
    I'm going to nip in here and echo what SeekerM has been saying. I was over the moon when I discovered the Ning site; looking back, I can hardly believe I didn't plan out builds before I played them. When the community moved to SE, I was left disorientated and slightly annoyed - I was new to the community, really enjoying the ranking system for character building and spent an hour a day (ish) browsing builds and finding inspiration. I was also annoyed because my first build was outside of the cut-off point for it be ported over so I would have to repost it. A minor issue in hindsight as it allowed more time to polish and hone ideas.

However, in the time I have spent on Social Engine since and lurking on the various conversations, I have found it incredible how the moderators, admins and regular members have poured their time into making this site better. I thank you for that. I, certainly, will continue to peruse with interest and look for creativity as well as trying to offer some of my own.
    • 96 posts
    October 25, 2016 5:13 PM EDT
    SeekerM said:

It's great to read some 'fresh' thoughts on SE. I agree with you, the improvements are definitely there.
    • 15 posts
    October 25, 2016 8:40 PM EDT

You guys should back up a bit and stop going at Caesar. He felt like he had to restate his thoughts because he felt as if he is not being heard. He posts some links about Ning, in a discussion about Ning, and gets a reply that basically tells him to focus only on this site.

Has the decision to stay on this platform been settled yet? If it has been settled then it should be announced and this entire post is moot and should be closed or something.

If the question at hand, to stay here or go back, has not been settled then Caesar has every right to say he wants to go back to Ning and give his reasons, both about why this site is lacking and why Ning is better.

edit: Oh and that third site, the "competetor", isn't all that good. Most of it is a bunch of reposts from here.

This post was edited by Hawkward at October 25, 2016 8:43 PM EDT
    • 179 posts
    October 25, 2016 9:16 PM EDT

You guys are absolutely free to believe whether or not ***********'s only reason for existence is to talk shit about the Vault and steal its members but at the end of the day the decision that needs to be made is "Ning or Social Engine", not "Ning, Social Engine, or ************". So if you think ************ isn't good then I advise you to stick with talking about this site.

With that being said, Hawkward does make a good point. The point of the thread is to discuss whether or not we should stick with Social Engine or go back to Ning so Caesar is well within his rights to argue in favor of the latter. Personally, I still think it's too risky a gamble without solid evidence that the situation on Ning is improving but that's just me.

EDIT: Forgot about the filter. Oh well, you guys still get what I'm talking about.

This post was edited by Albino at October 25, 2016 9:20 PM EDT