Patriarch said:

RogueSilver said:

Ah, so you are a Stormcloak.

I didn't say that. :P

I could be playing devil's advocate. lol

Or playing politics to avoid being of a just cause :p

• 743 posts
    September 19, 2016 11:52 AM EDT

Sindeed said: "Greyskins" "Scalebacks". Check around Windhelm, Ulfric does nothing for the refugees.

Also, regarding the slurs, political correctness isn't a thing in Tamriel, bro.

• 113 posts
    September 19, 2016 1:07 PM EDT
    Why would ambition be the cause of torygg's murder? I'd also like to know why Ulfric refuses the axe from Balgruuf, in civil war questline. He appears as the dashing hero archetype but kills for power whenever the opportunity arises.
    • 743 posts
    September 19, 2016 1:10 PM EDT

Sindeed said: Why would ambition be the cause of torygg's murder? I'd also like to know why Ulfric refuses the axe from Balgruuf, in civil war questline. He appears as the dashing hero archetype but kills for power whenever the opportunity arises.

Because Ulfric needed to make a large political statement to demonstrate how serious he was. As for Balgruff, his personal rivalry with Ulfric goes back quite far. Jealousy is likely his main cause.

• 113 posts
    September 19, 2016 1:39 PM EDT
    Exactly what I'm saying. Ulfric claims to stand for nordic honor but feels he can kill fellow nords freely. Sybille Stentor says that Torygg would easily work with Ulfric if he just asked. But no, Ulfric challenged Torygg to a duel he couldn't refuse and uses the voice making the fight even more unfair. Young nords easily feel it's their duty to join the stormcloaks because of ulfric's catchy propaganda phrases.
    • 136 posts
    September 19, 2016 1:49 PM EDT

Sindeed said: Exactly what I'm saying. Ulfric claims to stand for nordic honor but feels he can kill fellow nords freely. Sybille Stentor says that Torygg would easily work with Ulfric if he just asked. But no, Ulfric challenged Torygg to a duel he couldn't refuse and uses the voice making the fight even more unfair. Young nords easily feel it's their duty to join the stormcloaks because of ulfric's catchy propaganda phrases.

nordic honor but feels he can kill fellow nords freely - Nordic honor does not necessary exclude killing fellow Nords. It's Skyrim, not a commune.

Sybille Stentor says that Torygg would easily work with Ulfric if he just asked. - That's hearsay; we don't know this is a fact.

Ulfric challenged Torygg to a duel he couldn't refuse - true, but that goes back to Nordic honor

uses the voice making the fight even more unfair - can't argue with this one. I believe Ulfric was using the Thu'um to legitimize his right to lead, much like Tiber Septim's use of the Thu'um rallied the Nords to his side. I'm not saying it was right, though.

• 743 posts
    September 19, 2016 1:50 PM EDT

Sindeed said: Exactly what I'm saying. Ulfric claims to stand for nordic honor but feels he can kill fellow nords freely. Sybille Stentor says that Torygg would easily work with Ulfric if he just asked. But no, Ulfric challenged Torygg to a duel he couldn't refuse and uses the voice making the fight even more unfair. Young nords easily feel it's their duty to join the stormcloaks because of ulfric's catchy propaganda phrases.

We're not sure whether or not Torryg really would've listened or not, one source is simply not enough to take as religion. Ulfric's use of the voice did not make the fight unfair. You know why? Because while Torryg was being groomed into becoming high king, Ulfric was studying the voice, and already had for the majority of his childhood. It is a skill that took great dedication and works to acquire. That does not make the fight unfair simply because Ulfric had more skill than toryyg. Give me some actual proof that Ulfric is power hungry.

This post was edited by Rogue at September 19, 2016 2:01 PM EDT
    • 743 posts
    September 19, 2016 1:50 PM EDT

RogueSilver said:

We're not sure whether or not Torryg really would've listened or not. One source is simply not enough to take as religion. Ulfric's use of the voice did not make the fight unfair. You know why? Because while Torryg was being groomed into becoming high king, Ulfric was studying the voice, for the majority of his childhood. It is a skill that took great dedication and works to acquire. That does not make the fight unfair simply because Ulfric had more skill than toryyg. Give me some actual proof that Ulfric is power ungry.

• 743 posts
    September 19, 2016 1:59 PM EDT

Ignore the second post, the quoting system is freaking retarded sometimes.

This post was edited by Rogue at September 19, 2016 2:00 PM EDT
    • 585 posts
    September 19, 2016 2:05 PM EDT

I'm worried my real world philosophies will come in here, but I'll try to keep them in check.

I don't see a problem with the Stormcloaks wanting independance, it's the tag line 'Skyrim belongs to the Nords' that makes me tentative. Who knows how advanced Skyrim would become with other races help, it would transform dingy towns like Morthal into places you'd actually want to visit. For example, Argonians coming could tame the swamps, nurturing them in certain places but cutting it back to allow for expansion, Altmers and Imperials could bring secure infrastructure, establish trade routes and make strives in technology, increasing the living standards of everybody. Every race adds something new, and if everyone kept within the law, Skyrim would thrive. This obviously isn't supported by the Stormcloaks, who would prefer a more traditional, but ultimately less rewarding life.

But I guess Imperial rule wouldn't help this vision either. While uniting Skyrim would bring it more trade and infrastructure, something tells me it would be at a great cost of ancient places and a more restricted way of living. It's the coin flip between advancement or nostalgia/ tradition, and usually I'm for the former.

So I guess I want Skyrim to embrace other races, which could only happen withing the Empire, but let Skyrim mainly govern itself, the Imperials only wading in if the whole race thing becomes a bit of a big issue again.

• 743 posts
    September 19, 2016 2:07 PM EDT

Zonnonn said:

I'm worried my real world philosophies will come in here, but I'll try to keep them in check.

I don't see a problem with the Stormcloaks wanting independance, it's the tag line 'Skyrim belongs to the Nords' that makes me tentative. Who knows how advanced Skyrim would become with other races help, it would transform dingy towns like Morthal into places you'd actually want to visit. For example, Argonians coming could tame the swamps, nurturing them in certain places but cutting it back to allow for expansion, Altmers and Imperials could bring secure infrastructure, establish trade routes and make strives in technology, increasing the living standards of everybody. Every race adds something new, and if everyone kept within the law, Skyrim would thrive. This obviously isn't supported by the Stormcloaks, who would prefer a more traditional, but ultimately less rewarding life.

But I guess Imperial rule wouldn't help this vision either. While uniting Skyrim would bring it more trade and infrastructure, something tells me it would be at a great cost of ancient places and a more restricted way of living. It's the coin flip between advancement or nostalgia/ tradition, and usually I'm for the former.

So I guess I want Skyrim to embrace other races, which could only happen withing the Empire, but let Skyrim mainly govern itself, the Imperials only wading in if the whole race thing becomes a bit of a big issue again.

Races control their own respective provinces, so why can't the Nords? Patriarch made a good reply regarding race.

This post was edited by Rogue at September 19, 2016 2:10 PM EDT
    • 585 posts
    September 19, 2016 2:17 PM EDT

Races control their own respective provinces, so why can't the Nords? Patriarch made a good reply regarding race.

Well I have to say, Patriach does make some good points. I'm trying to think of a way for other races to be embraced in Skyrim, while also keeping the Nords traditions and stuff a priority, but I can't think of a way unfortunately. I guess it comes down to logic or emotion, unity or freedom, and I know the Nords will onlu have it one way. Maybe a compromise would be to work with the Imperials to defeat the Thalmor, but not only is that only theoretically possible, but then the Empire would become the big threat, which the Stormcloaks wouldn't want.

• 743 posts
    September 19, 2016 2:22 PM EDT

Zonnonn said:

Well I have to say, Patriach does make some good points. I'm trying to think of a way for other races to be embraced in Skyrim, while also keeping the Nords traditions and stuff a priority, but I can't think of a way unfortunately. I guess it comes down to logic or emotion, unity or freedom, and I know the Nords will onlu have it one way. Maybe a compromise would be to work with the Imperials to defeat the Thalmor, but not only is that only theoretically possible, but then the Empire would become the big threat, which the Stormcloaks wouldn't want.

It's odd replying and Pm'ing you at the same time xD. Anyways, I think it will come down to a compromise between the Empire and Cloaks against the Thalmor. After the war, I really can't see a weak Empire trying to reconquer an independent Skyrim. However, strange things happen in Tamriel. 

This post was edited by Rogue at September 19, 2016 2:22 PM EDT
    • 585 posts
    September 19, 2016 2:29 PM EDT

It's odd replying and Pm'ing you at the same time xD. Anyways, I think it will come down to a compromise between the Empire and Cloaks against the Thalmor. After the war, I really can't see a weak Empire trying to reconquer an independent Skyrim. However, strange things happen in Tamriel. 

I know! All the thoughts are getting muddled up in my head.

A compromise would be the best answer, in my opinion. Both sides of the war are imperfect, but trying to get the best out of each might actually turn out alright. Strange things happen in Tamriel - You can say that again, I'm pretty sure there was a magical floating island of death at one point (I believe the Umvriel-Hist?), and if that isn't weird, I don't know what it.

• 743 posts
    September 19, 2016 2:40 PM EDT

Zonnonn said:

A compromise would be the best answer, in my opinion. Both sides of the war are imperfect, but trying to get the best out of each might actually turn out alright. Strange things happen in Tamriel - You can say that again, I'm pretty sure there was a magical floating island of death at one point (I believe the Umvriel-Hist?), and if that isn't weird, I don't know what it.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised with ANYTHING in TES. Especially after reading up on Lorkhan. That was a big mistake.

• 585 posts
    September 19, 2016 3:00 PM EDT
    RogueSilver said:

Zonnonn said:

You know, I wouldn't be surprised with ANYTHING in TES. Especially after reading up on Lorkhan. That was a big mistake.

Ah, Lorkhan, I think the Bethesda devs and some questionable, possibly illegal substances had a baby with that one. But hey, Tamriel was the D&D world the original Bethesda people played in, so I won't question it.
    • 743 posts
    September 19, 2016 3:05 PM EDT

Zonnonn said:
    RogueSilver said:

Zonnonn said:

Ah, Lorkhan, I think the Bethesda devs and some questionable, possibly illegal substances had a baby with that one. But hey, Tamriel was the D&D world the original Bethesda people played in, so I won't question it.

True, no need for us to complain now :p

• 585 posts
    September 19, 2016 3:12 PM EDT
    RogueSilver said:

Zonnonn said:
    RogueSilver said:

Zonnonn said:

True, no need for us to complain now :p

It is what brought us all here after all, one awesome fantasy world lead to another
    • 312 posts
    September 19, 2016 9:26 PM EDT

Honestly, I support the Empire more than the Stormcloaks, not because of the inherent racism that comes with any nationalist group, but because of the sexism that's implied.

If you look at the Imperial troops, there are very few women, but they take high-ranking positions. The Stormcloaks may have more women in their military, but all of their officers are men. Indeed, I think the only reason a female Dragonborn has the ability to become a Stormcloak Officer is because of the Thu'um.

• 9 posts
    September 19, 2016 10:02 PM EDT
    • 312 posts
    September 19, 2016 11:33 PM EDT
    ^ Relevant.
    • 224 posts
    September 20, 2016 2:49 AM EDT

Hello!

This post touch my hearth, as all topics related to war and battles

So here is a little gift for everyone who enjoy this kind of stuff!!

For anyone who wish to have a full Real time strategy game totally based on Elder Scrolls, quality made, fully lore-friendly, your dreams have come true

Its needed Total War II game

The mod: The Elder Scrolls Total War

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-elder-scrolls-total-war/images

The game is so so so so extremely cool, one can play for hours, you will be hungry for battles and conquer, even learn how to create special tacticts what totally worths

Note: Get this simple tool and run it as administrator, helps with the units to render efficiently, the game is not fully optimized, it have just that little detail, that means In really large scale battles could drop fps hardly, so using this tool fixes it totally:

Fps boost (is just a command prompt tool, just run it and then run the game, simple as that)

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=2511

Screenshots!!

The above picture is the "map zone", can be seen the Whole Tamriel map at the left corner, the colors shows the part of the map in control by a faction. You can choose campaigns, I start playing Imperials so I started in control of Cyrodiil and some places of Morrowind, is very lore-friendly, for example I was playing for a period of time and I got a message saying the Emperor died (I got him for a while, and suddenly he wasnt there no more), some cities and towns got invaded by Daedras and think what place was attacked first... yes! Kvatch, is so cool. If you love Elder Scrolls and all the related stuff about war, battles and conflicts, the army (a big lore-friendly quality made army for each faction, with their strengts and weakness, sieges, you can use siege weapons!! and destroy walls!

Medieval

This post was edited by Medieval at September 20, 2016 2:51 AM EDT
    • 585 posts
    September 20, 2016 5:03 AM EDT

A fellow Total War lover I see, Medieval. Have you tried out the Third Age mod yet (LOTR), it's the best looking and put together one I've seen, although I've only played 2 more. Every enemy is skinned beautifully, the combat and factions are all powerful in their own ways and flavourful, it's generally great. he only bad hing is that Orcs always have more people in a unit, making auo-resolve battles always in their favour.

• 743 posts
    September 20, 2016 12:16 PM EDT

WuYiXiang said:

Honestly, I support the Empire more than the Stormcloaks, not because of the inherent racism that comes with any nationalist group, but because of the sexism that's implied.

If you look at the Imperial troops, there are very few women, but they take high-ranking positions. The Stormcloaks may have more women in their military, but all of their officers are men. Indeed, I think the only reason a female Dragonborn has the ability to become a Stormcloak Officer is because of the Thu'um.

I've never spoken to anyone who has disliked to Cloaks due to sexism. It's obviously not a thing in their culture, just look at the Jarl of Riften ( a very powerful position, mind you) that supports the rebellion.

• 136 posts
    September 20, 2016 1:08 PM EDT

Medieval said:

Hello!

This post touch my hearth, as all topics related to war and battles

So here is a little gift for everyone who enjoy this kind of stuff!!

For anyone who wish to have a full Real time strategy game totally based on Elder Scrolls, quality made, fully lore-friendly, your dreams have come true

Its needed Total War II game

The mod: The Elder Scrolls Total War

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-elder-scrolls-total-war/images

The game is so so so so extremely cool, one can play for hours, you will be hungry for battles and conquer, even learn how to create special tacticts what totally worths

Medieval

Oooor, you could play ESO, join a guild and do this very thing. Our guild strategizes attack patterns, create distractions for other guilds, and advance on the map of Cyrodiil. Plus, you play against real players - so every fight is unpredictable, forcing you to communicate with your team and adapt to changing circumstances.

Just my $.02