Forums » Elder Scrolls

Lets Reminisce Skyrim

• September 13, 2016 2:46 AM EDT

This is the one they fear Dovahkiin, Dragonborn

Skyrim Remastered is coming soon, Oct 28th, so lets look back at the original Game that inspired the creation of this site, what stands out about Skyrim that keeps you coming back? what are your favorite Quests? NPCs, lets talk mechanics, Glitches, what did you like/dislike, are you still playing, Building, creating new characters, concepts or have you had enough, please tell us in the comments below.

This post was edited by Deleted Member at September 13, 2016 3:04 AM EDT
    • 585 posts
    September 13, 2016 8:52 AM EDT

There's still so many characters and head canons yet to be discovered and played, any of which would completely change the game when playing them. So yeah, I just keep changing the game in my head, and it becomes a lot more intriguing, which is the greatest strength of ES games.

• September 13, 2016 8:54 AM EDT

Well said Zonnon, I am sure many here will agree with you

• 585 posts
    September 13, 2016 8:57 AM EDT

Bonelord said:

Well said Zonnon, I am sure many here will agree with you

Why thank you, I think that's why this site and the ES series has such long longevity, as long as there's creativity, people will come and play.

• 1441 posts
    September 13, 2016 10:10 AM EDT

Just making characters, especially those based on media I like

• 743 posts
    September 13, 2016 10:10 AM EDT

I keep coming back to soul trap Nazeem and then procced to charge my Blade of Woe with it :p

On a serious note, the pure depth of Skyrim keeps making me come back for more. The fact that I can play a cunning rogue that travels to Skyrim in search of wealth, only to evolve his goals into saving Skyrim for the sake of survival is something only Skyrim can pull of. The intricate roleplay aspects, the skill system, the overall atmoshpere just makes Skyrim damn near perfect. I can say with confidence that Skyrim is by far the greatest game to date. 

• September 13, 2016 10:21 AM EDT

Well said Rogue, agree with you entirley, the role play opportunities affored in Skyrim are surpassed by no other game, including Morrowind and Oblivion, I think it is the ancient Nord Lore, of the quintessential Dragonborn or Dovahkiin that keeps me coming back, however if and when you should tire of being the saviour, be a thief, Rogue, Battlemage, or a mix of them all, it all seems to fit in somehow, wouldn't you agree?. Oh and as far as Nazeem is concerned, Soul Trap the smarmy bugger for me too please.

This post was edited by Deleted Member at September 13, 2016 10:23 AM EDT
    • 743 posts
    September 13, 2016 10:23 AM EDT

Bonelord said:

Well said Rogue, agree with you entirley, the role play opportunities affored in Skyrim are surpassed by no other game, including Morrowind and Oblivion, I think it is the ancient Nord Lore, of the quintessential Dragonborn or Dovahkiin that keeps me coming back, however if and when you should tire of being the saviour, be a thief, Rogue, Battlemage, or a mix of them all, it all seems to fit in somehow, wouldn't you agree?

Agreed 100% Bonelord. Like you said, it just all melts in perfectly to forge the one game to rule them all.

• 1595 posts
    September 14, 2016 6:27 AM EDT

I sometimes wonder if I would go back to Skyrim as much as I do if it weren't for this site. Don't get ne wrong I love the game. There are so many options, so many variations and combinations that creating unique characters to experience stories with keeps the game fresh even now. Despite its age it is still able to take your breath away with its beauty at the oddest times, like when you round the final bend on the Seven Thosand Steps (in good weather), or experience the misty marshes of Morthal at night or simply that moment when the sun sets over the tundra in Whiterun Hold.

However that only accounts for less than half of why I find myself frequently returning to the stark white province of Skyrim. The remaining draughts of energy which make up the game experience stems from this site. The creativity of my friends; the passion and enthusiasm of our members; and the staggering quantity of inspiration we see on almost a daily basis just keeps TES V in my thoughts long after I put the controller down.

• September 14, 2016 6:35 AM EDT

Nice to have your input Phil, as eloquent a writer not seen in a long time, words flow from your pen, as tresses from a bridal gown, and you are right there is far more to Skyrim than just playing the game, I like to, every now and then stop, look, and listen to whats going on, and I thought I was the only one.

• 1595 posts
    September 14, 2016 6:54 AM EDT

Bonelord said:

Nice to have your input Phil, as eloquent a writer not seen in a long time, words flow from your pen, as tresses from a bridal gown, and you are right there is far more to Skyrim than just playing the game, I like to, every now and then stop, look, and listen to whats going on, and I thought I was the only one.

I don't think you're alone. I have been known to say to my friends here that becuase of my long history with TES and the accumulated knowledge of the setting which takes up far more room in my brain than perhaps is healthy, I actually feel pretty dissconnected to the setting at times. It is hard to remain down to earth and in a character's head when in my own there are very few mysteries left to ponder.

It is times like that when I need my friends who come along and write a poem which captures an in-character outlook that helps me reconnect as I desire to explore something similar, or who write a chapter of a blog which moves me on a human level. Most recently it was a very close friend who showed me a picture of something drawn which reminded me that the world exists. The mundane items which populate the world and are so often taken for granted can be explored again and delighted in if one is just willing to slow down, stop, look and experience them.

These items each hold a spirit and if you are willing to just take the time to look closely at them and imagine the hands which have held them the game world then becomes just that little bit deeper and more believable.

• 77 posts
    September 14, 2016 10:48 AM EDT

I'd have to say that my favorite aspect, and the thing that keeps me coming back is the illusion of a living breathing world.  No other game has come close to the level of immersion that Skyrm creates.  In other games i'm always "that guy" and this is "that guy's" adventure.  Even other games that let you create your own character like Dragon Age don't come close to the level of immersion that Skyrim creates.  It's both fantastic and sometimes a little scary when you realize you just spent the last two hours wandering imaginary woods picking imaginary flowers. 

Favorite quests would have to be ones that i made up myself for my own role-playing purposes, which is another huge factor in the replayability of Skyrim, that creating your own quests (on console no less) is even possible.  My favorite "self made" quest is the extended dark brotherhood in which i combine the civil war and the dark bortherhood quests into one.

I love the progression mechanic and i hope to see this kind of thing used in more games, it just makes sense that the more you use a skill the better you get at it.  I also love all the glitches and exploits, they may not be on purpose but they have added a ton of value and longevity to the game.  Seriously, this game is so good that even the mistakes make it better!!

I haven't played Skyrim in awhile, in fact i don't currently own a copy of the game (until remastered that is).  However, I just released a new character build the other day and i still have one character build that i plan on releasing in the near future, all of the playtesting is done i just need to finish editing the writeup.  So i still see Skyrim being a staple in my gaming until the next huge open world, highly immersive, Skyrimlike game comes out, which i don't see happening anytime soon.

• September 14, 2016 11:02 AM EDT

Thanks for your input Vargr, you make some very interesting points, I have never made up a quest, but there is plenty of scope to do so now that I think about it, glitches are just great arn't they, they should not be, but are and, they make the game much more fun, I particularly liked the one Ponty used for his build The First, vampric blast he called it if memory serves correctly.

I too have a couple of new build ideas, in fact I published a WIP. today and have two others in my addled brain, for me the sceptics that say Skyrim has had its day are way off, I still have builds to make and places yet to be discovered.

I am looking forward now to the Remastered version, what difference it will make to us console players is yet to be seen, but the very fact we will be able to create screenies, and record Videos is, without a doubt, a great step forward.

• 7 posts
    September 14, 2016 7:39 PM EDT

One thing I simultaneously love and hate about Skyrim is how down-to-earth it is. Despite being a fantasy world, it manages to be believable and even mundane; the people, the setting, the ecosystem, and the various history books and magical treatises make the interesting become ordinary and the ordinary become interesting.

But if I want to be some goody-two-shoes hero, this lifelike setting poses a problem. Ever been to Markarth? The House of Horrors and No One Escapes Cidhna Mine suck. Somehow I managed to do both of those the first time I played Skyrim, and, like, dang. I signed up to be a dragonslayer, not be forced to kill some dude out of self-preservation or pick between participating in an insurrection and killing the oppressed natives' imprisoned leader. And then there's whatever the quest in Whiterun with Saadia and the Alik'r is... of course you do the 'right' thing and stand up for the helpless noblewoman, but there's no proof she wasn't a traitor after all. And THEN, of course, there's the civil war... though oddly enough, after going the standard Nord hero route and sacking Solitude, I became a staunch Imperial in subsequent playthroughs and never looked back. A united Empire is good for everyone, and all that. More importantly, if the entire Cyrodiilic Empire couldn't take the Dominion, there's no way Skyrim has a chance on its own. *cough*andUlfric'sbeingplayedbytheThalmor*cough*

...Right, so I kinda went on two tangents there. The point is, as awesome as the chasm of difference between Skyrim and the standard fantasy adventure is, Skyrim's morality is about as gray as its color palette. I get tired of the grittiness sometimes.

On a different note, my favorite part of every playthrough is the Dawnguard stuff. Its medieval/gothic mash-up aesthetic clashes horribly with the decidedly B.C.E. look of Skyrim in general, but it's all just so cool. Crossbows! Gargoyles! Gross bug armor! Harkon's voice! Ancient Falmer! Auriel's Bow! The only worthwhile follower in the game! I enjoy the premise of the Dawnguard side (unknown, unaided and possibly illegal heroism), and the vampire side is kinda just one long power trip. It also amuses me that Harkon's introduction is so serious and then next thing you know he's giving you a tutorial. 

• 312 posts
    September 14, 2016 8:52 PM EDT

Mocking the terrible writing Bethesda publishes is the main reason I play TES and Fallout.

• September 15, 2016 4:24 AM EDT

You are 100% correct about those two Quests, they are a joke, what annoys me more than anything is having the Quest Escape Cidhna Mine forced on me by the idiot Ellery, Oh I think you dropped this, some kind of Note, its infuriating, if I wanted to do the Quest I would seek it out the same as I do for most others.

The Dawnguard Questline is fantastic, with, as you stated, its Gargoyles, and Gothic feel. The Redguard Woman?, well this is another that is kind of forced on the player, so as old as Skyrim is, and all the playthroughs ive started, I have yet to find out what goes on, the Redguards hang about Whiterun forever, which is handy when Vamps attack.

• 1595 posts
    September 15, 2016 10:15 AM EDT

WuYiXiang said:

Mocking the terrible writing Bethesda publishes is the main reason I play TES and Fallout.

I can't say it's my main reason but it is certainly an added bonus :D

• 77 posts
    September 15, 2016 10:32 AM EDT

Skyrim is my first Elder Scrolls game, I'm up to five characters now, and at some point I'll be going back and re-visiting the first four, when I've exhausted my orsimer (a no dragons build). For me, being on console, some of the glitches/bugs are amusing (moonwalking falmer), others annoying, but bearable, just being able to wander around the province is enough on some days.

Quest-wise, it's difficult to say, as much as I like the College of Winterhold and its questline, when playing a no magic build and you've joined the Dawnguard, life gets a tad tricky. Same with Riften, for the main questline, I haven't yet played a true thief, so the Ratway is a bit of a pain. Oh and Sam! He just randomly turns up and acosts you lol I've managed to get him stuck just outside the Bannered Mare before now, and had to go in via another entrance just to avoid the quest.

Would I still be playing without having found the Vault? Probably, but the Vault has helped me find new ways to enjoy Skyrim, and different ways to think about the events, characters and lore. I get loads of ideas on things to write or draw, finding time to finish anything is the tricky bit, when all you want to do is sit down and play for a while (and come up with more ideas..)

• 312 posts
    September 15, 2016 10:47 AM EDT

Meli said:

Quest-wise, it's difficult to say, as much as I like the College of Winterhold and its questline, when playing a no magic build and you've joined the Dawnguard, life gets a tad tricky. Same with Riften, for the main questline, I haven't yet played a true thief, so the Ratway is a bit of a pain. Oh and Sam! He just randomly turns up and acosts you lol I've managed to get him stuck just outside the Bannered Mare before now, and had to go in via another entrance just to avoid the quest.

Speaking of the College, I like how my 2-Handed pure Warrior is now Archmage.

• September 15, 2016 11:01 AM EDT

@Meli, Have you thought about posting some of your builds here? we would love to see them, the Workshop is there to help you in any way they can, its Host Dragonborn1721, or Deeb will be most happy to aid you, or there is The Skyrim CB (Character Building Group)the  Hosts would love to have you post something there. Remember we are all here to help

• 77 posts
    September 15, 2016 11:15 AM EDT

Bonelord said:

@Meli, Have you thought about posting some of your builds here? we would love to see them, the Workshop is there to help you in any way they can, its Host Dragonborn1721, or Deeb will be most happy to aid you, or there is The Skyrim CB (Character Building Group)the  Hosts would love to have you post something there. Remember we are all here to help

Crumbs, don't give me anything else to think about! I've got about 4 Vault WIP projects and probably another 3 or 4 lined up. Once Skyrim SE hits, I'll be able to make some more progress on one of these, the others are sort of as I get time.

I'd only call two of them true builds, Melindora is almost 100% pure mage and probably a more supporting role, and Morn gra-Mughol is a bit of an odd one and I really should be making notes as I go for future works (may be more roleplaying than builds :-/ ). For the other two, one is based on Paul England's Arrowsworn, the other is his twin sister who's just a fun all-singing, all-dancing tank, good for chilling out with.

• 743 posts
    September 15, 2016 12:30 PM EDT

Gentlefish said:

One thing I simultaneously love and hate about Skyrim is how down-to-earth it is. Despite being a fantasy world, it manages to be believable and even mundane; the people, the setting, the ecosystem, and the various history books and magical treatises make the interesting become ordinary and the ordinary become interesting.

But if I want to be some goody-two-shoes hero, this lifelike setting poses a problem. Ever been to Markarth? The House of Horrors and No One Escapes Cidhna Mine suck. Somehow I managed to do both of those the first time I played Skyrim, and, like, dang. I signed up to be a dragonslayer, not be forced to kill some dude out of self-preservation or pick between participating in an insurrection and killing the oppressed natives' imprisoned leader. And then there's whatever the quest in Whiterun with Saadia and the Alik'r is... of course you do the 'right' thing and stand up for the helpless noblewoman, but there's no proof she wasn't a traitor after all. And THEN, of course, there's the civil war... though oddly enough, after going the standard Nord hero route and sacking Solitude, I became a staunch Imperial in subsequent playthroughs and never looked back. A united Empire is good for everyone, and all that. More importantly, if the entire Cyrodiilic Empire couldn't take the Dominion, there's no way Skyrim has a chance on its own. *cough*andUlfric'sbeingplayedbytheThalmor*cough*

...Right, so I kinda went on two tangents there. The point is, as awesome as the chasm of difference between Skyrim and the standard fantasy adventure is, Skyrim's morality is about as gray as its color palette. I get tired of the grittiness sometimes.

Keep telling yourself that, Imperials are gutless milkdrinkers, that's why us Stormcloaks would have a far better chance against the Thalmor. Also, Hammerfell seems to be doing rather well against the Dominion by themselves, without the sorry Empire's assistance.

#StormcloakSuperiority 

On a different note, my favorite part of every playthrough is the Dawnguard stuff. Its medieval/gothic mash-up aesthetic clashes horribly with the decidedly B.C.E. look of Skyrim in general, but it's all just so cool. Crossbows! Gargoyles! Gross bug armor! Harkon's voice! Ancient Falmer! Auriel's Bow! The only worthwhile follower in the game! I enjoy the premise of the Dawnguard side (unknown, unaided and possibly illegal heroism), and the vampire side is kinda just one long power trip. It also amuses me that Harkon's introduction is so serious and then next thing you know he's giving you a tutorial. 

• 7 posts
    September 15, 2016 1:46 PM EDT

RogueSilver said:

Keep telling yourself that, Imperials are gutless milkdrinkers, that's why us Stormcloaks would have a far better chance against the Thalmor. Also, Hammerfell seems to be doing rather well against the Dominion by themselves, without the sorry Empire's assistance.

#StormcloakSuperiority

WHY YOU LITTLE TRAITOR

LOL. I guess it's not like Skyrim would be helpless against the Dominion, but let me know how it goes when you bring a greatsword to a spell fight. ;)

Now I want to go read up on Hammerfell's resistance again, 'cause I'm not sure how they pulled it off other than by living in a desert...

inb4 'by not being milk drinkers'

This post was edited by Gentlefish at September 15, 2016 1:48 PM EDT
    • 1595 posts
    September 15, 2016 2:25 PM EDT

Gentlefish said:

RogueSilver said:

#StormcloakSuperiority

WHY YOU LITTLE TRAITOR

LOL. I guess it's not like Skyrim would be helpless against the Dominion, but let me know how it goes when you bring a greatsword to a spell fight. ;)

Now I want to go read up on Hammerfell's resistance again, 'cause I'm not sure how they pulled it off other than by living in a desert...

inb4 'by not being milk drinkers'

:D

This post was edited by Paws at September 15, 2016 2:26 PM EDT
    • 312 posts
    September 15, 2016 2:27 PM EDT

Hammerfell:  The Reverse Russia