Forums » Support

Getting Started - How Blog Tags Work.

• 627 posts
    August 5, 2016 3:21 AM EDT

Greetings all, I the Vault's one and only Fool have come to spread some light on how the tags for Blog posts work on this site. For those of you that have transfered over from our days on Ning, some parts of this may seem similar to that platform, while others will be different. To any newcomers to the site I wish you a welcome to the Community that is the Tamriel Vault and hope that you find this enlightening.

To start with the Blogs are first seperated by user and then by tag. So even if Member A uses the tag "Short" and Member B also uses the tag "Short", you will not be able to find both member's posts by clicking on that tag. Instead if you clicked on the tag on Member A's post you would only find a list of Member A's posts using that tag, and the same for Member B.

If you are still having trouble making sense of that here is the way I described it to Phil when I was testing this: 

On Ning and other sites the tags worked like it was a single warehouse, with each tag directing you to an area in that warehouse. On Social Engine they are like storage rooms you can rent, so each room is a Member who then has tags to direct to a certain area of that room.

If that didn't help then tell me and I'll re-write this. 

As is shown in the image above, the tags for each Blog post are listed at the top of the page, so in this case #Sir Fluffles and Darling. 

Alongside the tags, Blogs are also posted into Categories, which when opened from a Blog post will show you all that Member's posts (Basically at the moment they don't work as they should). However if you go to the Blog section (as shown above) and use the Category drop-down menu to search by category it will show you posts from every Member in the selected category. You are also able to Browse by "Most Viewed" or "Most Recent", and by "Everyone's Blogs" and "Only My Friends Blogs".

In addition to the tags for the currently viewed Blog post being listed at the top of the page, all the tags that the Member has used on any of their Blog posts are listed on the side of the page. Just to clarify the tags shown on the side of the page are not those for the Blog post you have open. Also listed here are all the Categories that the Member has posted in, and a list of months in which they have posted which work the same way as the tags. Using the image above, if I were to click on "May 2015" it would show me all the posts made by that Member during May 2015.

Now for the actual creation of tags.

• You may have noticed in the images above that the tags all included a #, that is something that the site does automatically. 
    • For multiple word tags you do not need to use " " to keep it as a single tag, instead all you need do is use a comma to tell the site where one tag ends and another begins. e.g. Golden Fool, Short.

Well that should be all of it at the moment. If the hosts of that area want to add anything they can and probably will. 

Aditional information:

Creating a custom tag that is the same as a category, will not place the blog post into that category. It will instead just create a tag in your blog section. e.g. If I were to use the tag "Long Story" on one of my posts it would not place that post into the category "Long Story", I would now just have a new tag in my blogs.

This post was edited by Golden Fool at August 30, 2016 4:39 PM EDT
    • 1595 posts
    August 5, 2016 3:29 AM EDT

Very good, thank you Goldie :) I admit I was struggling to understand but this is handy and I appreciate you taking the time to write it!

This post was edited by Paws at August 5, 2016 3:30 AM EDT
    • 1595 posts
    August 6, 2016 11:18 AM EDT

Bump for relevancy.

• 627 posts
    August 8, 2016 5:52 AM EDT

Updated with probably the most important discovery we have made in regards to tags. HOW TO SEARCH THEM :D

• 1595 posts
    August 9, 2016 4:20 AM EDT

Golden Fool said:

Updated with probably the most important discovery we have made in regards to tags. HOW TO SEARCH THEM :D

Great update and fantastic discovery Golds :)

• 627 posts
    August 28, 2016 1:12 AM EDT

Well looks like I broke all the images in this and it won't let me upload new ones straight into it. I suppose I could upload them into an album and then insert the links. The thing is I can't be arsed :P also most of this info can probably be moved over to the Story Corner as part of whatever guide they create for explaining how to tag/organise the blog posts.

• 295 posts
    August 28, 2016 7:06 AM EDT

Hey Goldie, compose it as a reply and then copy paste to the original post. 

• 627 posts
    August 29, 2016 2:24 AM EDT

Lissette Long-Chapper said:

Which post is that?

• 295 posts
    August 29, 2016 7:42 AM EDT

Golden Fool said:

Lissette Long-Chapper said:

Which post is that?

The post you're having issues with the images. 

• 627 posts
    August 30, 2016 4:42 PM EDT

The post you're having issues with the images. 

So instead of that I just created a private album with them in it and used those urls to stick them in, now I just have to wait and see what happens when the move occurs.

Also I've removed the bit about searching for tags since it doesn't work as I had hoped it would :(

This post was edited by Golden Fool at August 30, 2016 4:42 PM EDT