Forums » Elder Scrolls

News!! About a new Skyrim version by Bethesda Special Edition (1

• 224 posts
    June 12, 2016 11:34 PM EDT

Just check this

https://www.facebook.com/ElderScrolls/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF2Qw9BI6Rg

Have you ever wanted to have a better version of Skyrim with less limitations??, Might be possible in a few months, it seems Bethesda is going to release a new better version of Skyrim an update version according to now days techonolgy

Feel free to comment about. please, what you know, what you think, what do you expect, etc

• 10 posts
    June 12, 2016 11:52 PM EDT

It will be awesome to be able to play with mods on console. A bit disappointed no TES VI Valenwood but hey.

• 77 posts
    June 13, 2016 12:11 AM EDT

Worry not, we'll be walking on those walking trees before long.*

*Before we're dead.

• 3 posts
    June 13, 2016 12:26 AM EDT

That will be cool!

Actually, Todd said that PC gamers will recieve the new version for free! Check it out: http://www.pcgamer.com/skyrim-special-edition-coming-to-pc-on-october-28/

I was hoping for some clue about TES IV, perhaps next year though...

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    June 13, 2016 1:46 AM EDT

I'd have liked to not be disappointed, but alas. Instead of giving us news of the next game, we're getting a prettier version of Skyrim? Why? I already own it and all the DLC. I want a new freaking game, not the old game with prettier views and mods.

Dropped the ball Bethesda. This is dumb schlock to squeeze out a bit more cash from Skyrim. If you really wanted to update an old game, do freaking Morrowind or Oblivion. That would be fantastic.

tl:dr - This is dumb and I am disappoint.

• 558 posts
    June 13, 2016 2:02 AM EDT
    I'm not really sold. They only seem to mention updated graphics in the reveal trailer. Dark Souls 2 had a way better remaster. In DS2 they also changed enemy placement, which transformed some areas, making you play through the game a lot different.

Skyrim remastered could use some updated quests, some new npc's, and maybe some bigger towns. Oh, silly me, that's what the mods are for.
    • 1217 posts
    June 13, 2016 2:02 AM EDT
    Backwards compatibility would have been preferred, so I could have used the saves I held on to, but either way, I'm looking forward to owning Skyrim again. This time I guess I get to choose what console to get it for. The utter silence, and range of other TES games, makes me wonder if they're even working on TES VI, and if so, how early on is it? That would've "won" E3 for sure.
    • 321 posts
    June 13, 2016 2:15 AM EDT

Honestly, I was hoping for more in a remaster. (bug fixes, better enemy AI, combat and magicka)

It's a great moment for console players but eh, I'm not sold in it. Though I'll thank Bethesda for the free remaster.

P.S. Why can't they just remaster Morrowind or Oblivion? Those games are still stuck with 2000's graphics.

• 649 posts
    June 13, 2016 2:18 AM EDT
    I was just gonna say the same thing. If remaster for PC means just graphics...Oblivion would benefit from this a lot more than Skyrim. If they would fix just NPC textures in Oblivion, bringing in on the level of Skyrim, people would gladly pay for the game again.
    • 1217 posts
    June 13, 2016 2:22 AM EDT
    That highlights another reason I'd have preferred backwards compatibility; it doesn't seem like the remaster is going to employ any gameplay changes/fixes. But that only would have benefitted Xbox players, I think. But Like Carver said, this doesn't seem like it'd make a big difference (if any) to PC players.
    • 321 posts
    June 13, 2016 2:23 AM EDT

Oblivion and Morrowind is more in-depth IMO. I think they would benefit GREATLY from getting remastered. Imagine Shivering Isles/Clockwork City/Vivec City in glorious HD. 

• 321 posts
    June 13, 2016 2:28 AM EDT

Remastered edition for PC sounds redundant. We already have ENB's, Lighting mods and other graphic-enhancing mods. Though at least we get it for free.

I just think Remastered edition for PC sounds like you're feeding an already stuffed guest. The least they could do is save the hassle on the guys working on Skywind/Skyblivion and create a remaster for Oblivion/Morrowind.

• 649 posts
    June 13, 2016 2:36 AM EDT
    If you're on PC, you either have good rig and can download ENBs and shit, or you not that good rig and can download only non-graphics mods because your PC wouldn't handle it.

Either way, Remastered is only for those with good PCs, and to be brutally honest...I'll rather download a mod from a guy who did it because he cares, rather that from company bungling everything they touch. Remastered? Mark my words: It's just a graphic ovethaul and yet we'll need another 10 patches to fix bugs they'll make with it.
    • 321 posts
    June 13, 2016 2:38 AM EDT

A few months after Remastered release: Unofficial Remastered Edition Patch (UREP)

• 649 posts
    June 13, 2016 2:40 AM EDT
    Exactly. It's sad but most likely true.
    • 1217 posts
    June 13, 2016 2:43 AM EDT
    Sobering point. Even if it only has the bugs they never patched, and no new ones, that's a lot. I'll probably wait until after it releases, just to see.
    • 95 posts
    June 13, 2016 3:11 AM EDT
    The only way I'd even think of buying it is if they spring something new on us. A small new questline, something basic. I don't really know, but just add something so we aren't buying what we already own but prettier.
    Also, magic. I've always felt it's too underpowered.
    I know they're only really doing it because they did it already for FO4, but still. Not sold at all, and I don't think I ever will be.
    • 224 posts
    June 13, 2016 6:00 AM EDT

Are you joking??!!  Awesome :D :D xP

• 122 posts
    June 13, 2016 8:18 AM EDT

Neat. Our console friends can now use mods. 

• 7 posts
    June 13, 2016 10:13 AM EDT

I think that overall the remaster is a great thing.  As a PC player I welcome the possibility of dropping some texture, lighting and ENB from my load order.  Simplifying the mod setup a bit would be a welcome change and allow me to try other mods in exchange.  With some testing, this could be a nice outcome.

I think any remaster worth its salt will also include updates to take advantage of today's hardware making the game run better and improving performance which is great news especially if you are trying to record or stream and want to keep those frames up!

The graphics overhaul in combination with mods is also really great news for console players. Nice textures, lighting and a mid range ENB will make the game that much more immersive on the console.  The addition of mods will help to promote immersion and enhance role play.  It's interesting to think that a player could get an xbox 1 for $299 with built in streaming capability and the remaster version and produce some really compelling video right away.

I would have loved to get at least a teaser on TES6 but I think we all knew that was not going to happen.  In light of that, I think this is a nice step.  If Bethesda can get the mod stealing issue under control to protect mod authors, I think this is a great way to grow the mod community, expand exposure to the game and enhance the game play experience.

• 273 posts
    June 13, 2016 11:13 AM EDT

Would've preferred TES VI with these graphics,etc, etc...  Alas, we might as well enjoy what we got, I mean... It's no TES VI but its something, right?

• 694 posts
    June 13, 2016 11:17 AM EDT

That's sort of how I feel about it. Like... if it's going to be a while before TES VI anyway then this is a nice little thing to tide console users over and hopefully creates renewed interest in PC players too. 

• 585 posts
    June 13, 2016 1:05 PM EDT

Damn, I couldn't be more excited for this news, but it seems that everyone is disappointed. I get why PC players would be annoyed - it changes nothing really about the game as they have mods already, apart from maybe they can sell their old copy as they can get a new digital download for free. So yeah, sorry PC players.

I'm more interested in the prospect of returning to old games like Morrowind. Making a remastered game is inevitably going to be quicker than making a new one, so we could have the shiny new Oblivion or Morrowind within a year. In that time, a little part of Bethesda could be laying the groundwork for ES 6.

The cynical part of me thinks this is just a marketing ploy to get sales up and more attention towards Bethesda and their upcoming releases. Buuuut, this could also mean they want the announcement of ES 6 to reach as wide an audience as possible, so it could be coming soon. But I don't expect it within a year, Fallout 4 is still releasing DLC after all.

• 773 posts
    June 13, 2016 1:24 PM EDT

Exactly

From what we've heard, very little development time has gone into this really.

1. They ported Skyrim to PS4 to get started on Fallout 4. So that work happened, what, 3 years ago?

2. Mod Support was added in the Fallout 4 development cycle - again, it didn't need doing again

3. Graphic update - well, as PC modders know, that's not especially time consuming, which is why PC users already have dozens of ENB mods and graphical upgrades.

In other words, 90% of the work was done anyway, as part of Fallout 4, and it hasn't slowed down work on Elder Scrolls VI in any way whatsoever.

• 557 posts
    June 13, 2016 1:28 PM EDT

I say we'll hear an announcement of TES VI at next year's E3. Fallout will be over a year old and they'll likely be done with DLCs at that point, so they'll likely need something to push out that year. 

I'm still happy about Skyirm Remastered!!!