Forums » Elder Scrolls

How to promote my work?

• 261 posts
    June 8, 2016 10:22 AM EDT

Hallo. My question here is simple, as the title suggests. How do I get more people reading my stuff? Though I will continue to write, regardless of how many people read my stories, I'd still like more people to read 'Agents of the Queen' and other stories I make on the site. That way, I can get more commentaries and critiques, and improve my writing, which is always a good thing. As I said previously, being 'unknown' won't stop me from writing, but I'd nonetheless enjoy a wider audience.

If you have any advice, it'd be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• 54 posts
    June 8, 2016 10:32 AM EDT

I suggest putting them in the Workshop, to get more advice. 

• 261 posts
    June 8, 2016 10:34 AM EDT

Huh, hadn't considered that. Thanks!

• 54 posts
    June 8, 2016 10:34 AM EDT

Also, there is a new gem system in the story corner, which could feature your writing

• 261 posts
    June 8, 2016 10:46 AM EDT
    How would I go about contacting the people responsible for making said Spotlights?
    • 694 posts
    June 8, 2016 10:50 AM EDT

Hi Ian.  I remember this story! Sorry I fell off reading; not a personal slam in any way. Just got busy and lost the thread of it. I'm not very active in the Story Corner myself, but the best way to get people reading your work is to read and comment on other people's work. It's sort of about mutual give and take. Becoming invested in others means others will be invested in you. Perhaps you're already doing this, but it's just something to keep in mind. 

Also, I would say that keeping up with the helpful discussions in the Story Corner is also a good way to get people looking at your work. The more you talk about your processes with others and swap ideas, the more they'll be interested to see how you employ those techniques. 

I hope that helps!! 

• 261 posts
    June 8, 2016 10:54 AM EDT
    First of all, thanks for reading in the first place! Though I do comment on and like stuff I read, I don't have a lot of time to read, unfortunately. Still, it's something I'll definitely keep in mind.
    • 203 posts
    June 8, 2016 11:30 AM EDT

We don't take suggestions but if we find your text is good we will feature it... Eventually.

• 261 posts
    June 8, 2016 11:47 AM EDT
    Alright! Thanks for letting me know.
    • 367 posts
    June 8, 2016 3:00 PM EDT

I will second what Edana said here. The Story Corner is a strange beast in the way it works compared to other sections of the site. Consider taking time with other members stories as an investment. The more you read other pack members work and make comments on it by way of feedback ect then there is a greater chance that they will do the same. This can be seen as a 'You like mine and I'll like yours' scenario, but this is far from the truth.

Think of it as an investment like I said. 'Ian read my story and gave me some great feed back. I'll have a look at his and see if I can help him out'.

This is where we as a pack pays off. We all help one another in our advancement to become better hunters writers. You give your time reading and helping others here and they will endeavour to do the same.

We've a few discussions we have every so often. Come and join in when we have one. We've a few resources as well. Blog and Story Editing Service

This is great to get feed back from other members before you are ready to actually post your work.

Another thing you could do which will help. Add your TOC to your main page. Why members don't do this I really don't know.

Have a look at my page. Sotek's Page

You'll see my Build, my RP Profile of the characters in my story. (If you haven't made one then think about it), my Story, my Gallery and everything else.

Anyone who clicks on my page will see I have a build, a story ect. Think about it, someone clicks on your name... Do you want them to see what you have created or do you want to hide your work?

Invest your writing skill in others and they will invest theirs with you.

Not everyone will respond and read what you write, but there are a few of us who read everything. Sometimes it takes a few days.

• 261 posts
    June 8, 2016 4:10 PM EDT

Ok, time for a newbie question. How do I add my TOC to my page?  Anyhoo, thanks for the advice!

• 367 posts
    June 8, 2016 4:30 PM EDT

Here's a great guide for making a Nice Profile Page.

Tutorial: Making a Great Profile

Hope it helps.

• 1595 posts
    June 8, 2016 7:30 PM EDT

Hi Ian, loving your avatar 

From my perspective it is simply a time issue. There are so many quality blogs by such creative people that I struggle to keep up. My lack of enthusiasm towards anyone's project is definitely not because I do not care. 

If you can somehow find little ways of creative expression I think it will go a long way towards gaining a presence, couple that with the reciprocal nature of creativity, I don't think it will be long before you get the feedback you desire. Chin up dude, have fun, give and get back threefold  

• 1467 posts
    June 8, 2016 7:47 PM EDT

Well I'm not really a massively active in the Story Corner, but I did give writing a story a shot, quite enjoyed it before I got a bit stuck with what I'd written. Anyway, if your a PC player, I'd actually recommend posting screenshots in the Photo Corner that work with your story, if you can spread where your promoting to a larger series of areas, it simply means you've got more of a chance for people to see them.

Take people who write stories based on builds (or the other way around) they can create a loop, sending people from the build to the story and from the story to the build, it might increase their audience from people who enjoy stories, to people who enjoy builds.

The Workshop is another great source of promotion but one that's also useful on so many levels and I'd love to see more people using it for their stories (Though I'll admit the response was always a bit worse than it was for builds), not only do you have it out in another group, but it also gives you the chance to receive feedback on your work, improving it, and thus getting more readers. Then on top of that, you could potentially get a Workshop Feature, or Success Story written about your story, again adding more chance for promotional activity.

I hate to be all practical, so I will finish up by saying that hard work, application and consistency are all really the best thing you can do, what I mentioned is just kind of that Icing on the cake approach to it. Posting a well written story with some kind of consistent update schedule (which I know can be kind of hard to do) will get your more promotion than anything else. 

• 261 posts
    June 8, 2016 8:59 PM EDT

Thanks for the input! I get where you're coming from- certainly, there's a lot of good stuff on this site. And as I said, I'll keep writing, regardless of if I have one reader or a hundred.

Also, Hermaeus Mora ftw.

• 261 posts
    June 8, 2016 9:01 PM EDT

"Consistent update schedule' is a bit daunting, to be honest, but I'll try my best. As for the Workshop, as soon as I start my next writing I'll post it there for advice. And writing stories based on builds is something that hadn't occurred to me, but it's something I'd try. Thanks for the input!

• 1467 posts
    June 8, 2016 9:06 PM EDT

Hehe, I know that mate, I'm constantly shocked by the kind of people who could pump a new chapter out every week. I think my first chapter took me about 3 weeks to write, then another week or so to go over, then another couple of days to have a couple others go over it. 

• 261 posts
    June 9, 2016 12:55 PM EDT
    Posted a WiP story in the Workshop! Thanks for all the advice, guys.